PDA

View Full Version : Only carry on for a family of 5? Anybody want to help me?

zakatak
05-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Well, this past week my dh and I went down to WDW for our Anniversary trip and only had carry on (for 4 nights). We breezed through BUF and MCO, and called Fl Tours after we landed (at the gate still) and just walked right to A35 as the car pulled up. We were out of the airport within 10 minutes of getting off the plane. AND when we left WDW, we walked past the LONG LINES waiting to check-in/check baggage, walked right up to the Southwest Kiosk, printed our boarding passes and breezed through security and were at the gate within 20 minutes of being dropped off. :bounce: At BUF, we headed right out of the airport after landing, no baggage to wait for...

So... we had dreams of doing this for our November trip with the three kids (4, 6 & 8). Here is my plan: each kid now has a brand new 20" roller carryon suitcase. I have a 24" carryon. DH has a duffle. We will be wearing our jeans/fleeces (coming from Buffalo). So, each kid has to pack another pair of jeans, shirts, etc... should be plenty of room in each suitcase for little clothes :p . I will also bring the backpack (activities for flight) and dh will probably bring a little duffle that connects to my carryon.

I plan on doing laundry half way through (or more). I'd rather sit by the pool and do laundry, than wait in those long lines to check baggage at the airport with three active (i.e. tired, cranky) kids!

My question for the travellers... is this doable? Has anyone tried this? Am I setting myself up for disaster (not having room for the "stuff" they accumulate during the trip)? Any advice?

Thanks...

Karen & Kids

tjmw2727
05-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Its a tough trade ~ when dh and I travel alone or together but without the kids we always just do carryon. With the kiddos, we have two girls 7 and 9, we always check the bags. Its just worth the extra 10 minutes or so each way or the tip for the sky cap if necessary. This way we can focus on the kids instead of the stuff.

We pack two large and one small bag to check - this is fine for our family of 4 for 5ish nights. We then pack two rolling backpacks with the stuff for the airplane. Personally I can't imagine trying to find overhead space for 6 carryons plus the personal items.

Lately (knock wood) we have not had any problems checking in, we use the regular line at Jet Blue and sky caps at AA or getting luggage timely on our last few trips.

We use TTC and the driver is usually waiting for us as we get to the bottom of the escalator. I have not had any long waits for the baggage, in fact just last week the luggage was rolling around before we got to the belt (jet blue at mco). If dh is with me we ask the driver where to meet him, if its me and the two kids I "let" him help with the luggage and then go get the car.

I do think you could pull this off but I have to wonder if its really worth it - good luck whatever you decide.

TJ

mep319
05-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Personally I hate that they allow those 20 & 24 inch pull alongs as carry ons. It shouldn't be allowed. I'm sure if you do it you will get many evil looks from fellow passengers if you have all the kids do it to. They really take up way too much space and if you have 5!:eek: I woudn't do it. I always check luggage of that size a carry on is just that...a carryon. I don't think your little ones can "carry on" a piece of luggage that size. ::yes::

crazy_for_the_dis
05-01-2004, 04:01 PM
I totally agree with Mep319. I fly all the time for business, and nothing bothers me more than when people bring carry-ons that do not fit within the allotted measurements, or bring several carry-ons when you are technically allowed one and a personal item. In fact, this week, it bothered me so much that I am writing a letter to TSA or someone. I don't understand that they have such stringent regulations as to what you can bring on a plane, at PITT this week they closed the drop-off ramp entirely (you couldn't even drive up it), but every flight you see people who break the carry-on rule and get away with it. One would think it would be a safety concern. I'm sure if airlines started to get fined for not enforcing the rules, they would stop allowing people to do this (I remember shortly after 9/11 they went around measuring everything and handing out pink tags if the bags were too big, but that stopped about as quickly as it was started). By the way, on a flight this week, a woman who was carrying on a suitcase bigger than my checked one could not find a place for it (surprise, surprise).

Wish I lived in Fl
05-01-2004, 04:05 PM
We only do carryon because we travel standby.

DS pulls a small wheeled carryon and a backpack with his toys. He has done this since about 5, and is now 11.

Ds carries a toy backpack with her toys and night-night book. I share a carryon with her.
The big trouble is the car seat!
(But DH is a safety fanatic and insists on a carseat ON the plane.)

Rather than evil looks, most think the kids with their bitty suitcases are adoreable.The suitcases fit easily under the seats.

We can do this because we don't buy souveneirs, except maybe one per child per trip.

zakatak
05-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, Southwest carry-on limit is 24 inches. These carryons are 20 inches, well below the size limit. If each passenger is allowed one carryon and one extra "bag or purse thing", then what is wrong with everyone in the party bringing on a carryon within the legal limit? Each person in my family has paid the same amount as everyone else, why can't we each bring a carryon? As far as finding room, the last few flights on Southwest haven't had that issue... in fact I've seen entirely empty compartments.

Yes, I am thinking about it. It might be more of a pain lugging the carryons to the plane than it would be to check them. I really don't care about the evil looks, because I am within my rights to bring the 20 inch carryons. If anyone has a problem with it, then take it up with Southwest.

Thanks for the opinions, though. I didn't think it would turn into a carryon bashing :p . I think it will come down to packing and what we can fit and how busy it is the day after Thanksgiving.

And other than the carryons we have no other stuff, no strollers, no car seats, nothing. Only those carryons and my backpack. I think we will get less evil looks than the huge double strollers blocking the gateway and the car seats hitting people in the head on the way on and off the plane.

AND... we kid tested the suitcases... they can push and pull them just fine.

CarolA
05-01-2004, 04:53 PM
A 24" is technically too big for carry on on most airlines. It might work for SW, but if you are on anyone else it will not work

From Delta's site "All items must fit easily in a Size Wise™ unit (approximate dimensions 22" x 14" x 9" or 56cm x 35.5 x 23cm)."

So, you MIGHT get lucky but don't count on it. You need to downgrade the 24" to 22" (And yes you probably got away with it this time, but the family of 5 towing all that luggage will get the agents attention.

Now, once you lug all this stuff on board it is time to be nice. Put as much as possible under the seat. (At least ONE bag per person)

Second you may wind up with luggage ALL over the plane. If you do, WAIT until people have deplaned to go get it. Shoving your way back to collect it is rude, asking people to pass it over thier head to you is even ruder. (I let a man have it yesterday when his bag got dropped on my head!)

Third, if for some reason SW makes you check the bags. (ie. overheads are full) be polite. Calling the gate agent and/or the FA names won't help and will only make them more likely to lose your luggage (I have seen this happen several times!)

(And yes you are within your "rights" , but keep in mind carryon is a courtsey not a right.)

GAIL HAYDEN
05-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Wish I lived in Fl
We only do carryon because we travel standby.

DS pulls a small wheeled carryon and a backpack with his toys. He has done this since about 5, and is now 11.

Ds carries a toy backpack with her toys and night-night book. I share a carryon with her.
The big trouble is the car seat!
(But DH is a safety fanatic and insists on a carseat ON the plane.)

Rather than evil looks, most think the kids with their bitty suitcases are adoreable.The suitcases fit easily under the seats.

We can do this because we don't buy souveneirs, except maybe one per child per trip.

Oh, yes, really adorable with those rolling bags as they, being kids, don't pay attention to where they are going as they drag them behind them and accidently trip people. I find that very amusing. NOT.
check the bags, please.

hercamore
05-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Personally, I do not like putting anything in the overheads. It is a hassle to me to try and get those heavy bags down in such a tight space in a hot plane with people elbowing you around.

We all just take on just a backpack or tote bags for under the seat and those barely fit under NW seats as it is. We check our big bags.

herc.

mep319
05-01-2004, 05:35 PM
My DD is a walking disaster by herself...we manage a backpack but that is about it!

OP-My intent wan't bashing but I travel a lot for work and it is one of my biggest pet peeves. All this airline safety but geez let people bring on a suitcase...and I'm sorry its a suitcast not a carryon! It maybe a your right but it is also my right to yell at those folks who lump me on the head with it...or be annoyed when they put it in the overhead nothing else fits...and of course when they access it while in flight we all get a joy out of those folks who move everything out of the way to get to it. Now you might not do those things but when I saw your post I cringed and had to respond! :wave2:

By the way double stollers and stollers in general are a NECESSITY of a baby/toddler. Carseats are an ABSOLUTE must. Bringing 20-24 inch pull alongs are not and should be checked! You are comparing apples to oranges! Not a fair comparision at all.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by zakatak
Well, Southwest carry-on limit is 24 inches. These carryons are 20 inches, well below the size limit. If each passenger is allowed one carryon and one extra "bag or purse thing", then what is wrong with everyone in the party bringing on a carryon within the legal limit? Each person in my family has paid the same amount as everyone else, why can't we each bring a carryon? As far as finding room, the last few flights on Southwest haven't had that issue... in fact I've seen entirely empty compartments.

Yes, I am thinking about it. It might be more of a pain lugging the carryons to the plane than it would be to check them. I really don't care about the evil looks, because I am within my rights to bring the 20 inch carryons. If anyone has a problem with it, then take it up with Southwest.

Thanks for the opinions, though. I didn't think it would turn into a carryon bashing :p . I think it will come down to packing and what we can fit and how busy it is the day after Thanksgiving.

And other than the carryons we have no other stuff, no strollers, no car seats, nothing. Only those carryons and my backpack. I think we will get less evil looks than the huge double strollers blocking the gateway and the car seats hitting people in the head on the way on and off the plane.

AND... we kid tested the suitcases... they can push and pull them just fine.

you might find, if the plane is full, that you have to gate check those items. and, yes, while you are allowed the same as everyone else, there is something called consideration for others.
There is no way you can fit all that into the compartment over your seats, there. Depending on when you get to board that could mean your bags will be half way down the plane from you.
That would then mean, the person sitting under that bin won't have the room to stash his/her stuff, and, that person has the same right as you do. Not really considerate, wouldn't you say?
Double strollers don't block anyone as they are generally the first to board and gate check. The car seats are not an issue as they are boarded first.
The baggage handlers work very fast at MCO, often the bags are there before you get to baggage pickup, especially since I would imagine with three kids you will be doing potty breaks and they don't move as fast as two adults.
the size limit is 10x16x24 inches, it has to fit in that little sizer, if it does not fit, you have to check it.
Why scrimp on packing when you could take more, have room for stuff you buy, and not be a pack mule on your vacation?
Curb checking is worth it's weight in gold. Very few lines and that in itself is worth the tip.
MCO, as you know, is a huge airport, a 4 year old is not going to enjoy walking while dragging a 20" bag.

Beast fan
05-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Do the children have or use the book-bag type of backpacks (You guys know what I'm talking about. The type that some of you used in college.)? My kids use their backpacks as carry-ons, and love it. 2 great things about this option..... 1) It fits well within the size limits and 2) No need to worry about other travelers tripping over the carry-on (since it's on the back and not the floor).

Just a thought.

Dave

drogerstn
05-01-2004, 09:50 PM
zakatak, as you and others have already stated, it is so nice to be able to do carryon without any bags to check. I do carryon-only when it is practical now; however, I always checked bags when traveling with the family and the children were little. You or your husband may end up pulling or carrying an extra bag if one of your kids gets to slowing things down. You may decide, as you've already alluded to, that you have so much to pack and deal with that it will really be better to check most of your bags.

Two thing that bother me are people who don't watch where they are going in the airport and trip over others' luggage and people who insist on jumping into the aisle before the brakes are set and then insist on crowding me when I'm getting my bag out of the overhead. Most people learn after I knock them in the head with my bag...:teeth:

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by drogerstn
zakatak, as you and others have already stated, it is so nice to be able to do carryon without any bags to check. I do carryon-only when it is practical now; however, I always checked bags when traveling with the family and the children were little. You or your husband may end up pulling or carrying an extra bag if one of your kids gets to slowing things down. You may decide, as you've already alluded to, that you have so much to pack and deal with that it will really be better to check most of your bags.

Two thing that bother me are people who don't watch where they are going in the airport and trip over others' luggage and people who insist on jumping into the aisle before the brakes are set and then insist on crowding me when I'm getting my bag out of the overhead. Most people learn after I knock them in the head with my bag...:teeth:

wouldn't it make sense to wait until the crowd thins before trying to get your bag out of the overhead? I go nuts with the people that are trying to get to the back of the plane to get their bags when everyone is trying to go forward to deplane (not saying that is what you do). Another thing that irritates me is someone who stops dead in the middle of the jetway to put their child in a stroller. Why not move over a bit and let the people off?

Harambe
05-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Well - we only do carry-ons too. Both my kids (11 & 9) have rolling backpacks and DH and I have duffel bag type carry-ons. The kids also have fanny packs for a gameboy or book. We don't bring much and do laundry while at WDW. We also try not to buy too many souveniers (great that DD has gotten into the pins - they're small!) in the parks. On our last day we usually purchase a few things in our resort gift shop, and have it sent to us.

That being said, we truly do take others into consideration. We remain seated as long as we can to allow others out of the plane before we try to retrieve our things - often getting one bag at a time to let others pass. Then I go out and wait for each child as they become ready, finaly waiting for DH - that way all four of us are not in the aisle blocking others.

And I'm sorry so many people are bothered by this. I will continue to do this in the future, but will be even more aware of others, as annoying folks is not our intent at all.

seashoreCM
05-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Feel free to pack one carry-on for each person including the infant (with his/her own ticket and FAA approved safety seat which then does not count as a carry-on). But be sure the overall dimensions and weight are within limits for your airline.

But remember that most likely the kids have to carry their own baggage. Do a practice run at home, packing the suitcases (you can use books if you don't want to sort clothes that early) and having the kids strut about the back yard behind you. If you are a frequent traveler you can leave your suitcase empty for this exercise.

If the overhead bin space immediately above your seat is taken, you may definitely use space further ahead or further back.

If you have to check or gate check baggage, stop and remove valuables, film, medicine and the other things mentioned in the ticket jacket or brochure.

You have a better chance of getting someone to help you with baggage if you offer them the handle. Still, many people are unwilling to lift others' baggage into the overhead bin just in order to encourage more people to put baggage under the seat instead.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Airline gate personnel really should pull aside for gate checking all oversized baggage if there is any chance the cabin baggage space will get filled up.

Snoozan
05-02-2004, 09:34 AM
As a former "carryon" person - I have to agree with most of the posters and say "CHECK IT". I've come to the conclusion it's so much more stressfree to check the majority of the luggage and now that you can do this at the kiosk with either Song or Southwest, it's so much more convenient than standing in line at the counter or even outside at curb-side checkin. The maybe 10 minutes you save when you arrive at your destination will be used up by bathroom breaks - and with the kids, I'm sure that'll take up the time.

Uncomplicate your lives and Check the Luggage. You and the kids will be much happier and then you don't have to deal with trying to get those heavy bags up in the overhead & then risk hurting someone getting them down. Your DH will be most appreciative as it'll end up being "his" job to deal with all that luggage.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Still, many people are unwilling to lift others' baggage into the overhead bin just in order to encourage more people to put baggage under the seat instead.

No, many people, most especially those that check their luggage, are unwilling because they don't wish to risk hurting themselves or others while performing this action.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Harambe
Well - we only do carry-ons too. Both my kids (11 & 9) have rolling backpacks and DH and I have duffel bag type carry-ons. The kids also have fanny packs for a gameboy or book. We don't bring much and do laundry while at WDW. We also try not to buy too many souveniers (great that DD has gotten into the pins - they're small!) in the parks. On our last day we usually purchase a few things in our resort gift shop, and have it sent to us.

That being said, we truly do take others into consideration. We remain seated as long as we can to allow others out of the plane before we try to retrieve our things - often getting one bag at a time to let others pass. Then I go out and wait for each child as they become ready, finaly waiting for DH - that way all four of us are not in the aisle blocking others.

And I'm sorry so many people are bothered by this. I will continue to do this in the future, but will be even more aware of others, as annoying folks is not our intent at all.

You considerate attitude is probably most appreciated by others.
Thank you.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Snoozan
As a former "carryon" person - I have to agree with most of the posters and say "CHECK IT". I've come to the conclusion it's so much more stressfree to check the majority of the luggage and now that you can do this at the kiosk with either Song or Southwest, it's so much more convenient than standing in line at the counter or even outside at curb-side checkin. The maybe 10 minutes you save when you arrive at your destination will be used up by bathroom breaks - and with the kids, I'm sure that'll take up the time.

Uncomplicate your lives and Check the Luggage. You and the kids will be much happier and then you don't have to deal with trying to get those heavy bags up in the overhead & then risk hurting someone getting them down. Your DH will be most appreciative as it'll end up being "his" job to deal with all that luggage.

Hi,
You cannot use the kiosk at SW and have luggage.

From the website:

Southwest Airlines Ticketless Customers, who are not checking luggage, may now check in for their flight and receive their boarding pass and Rapid Rewards credit at the Skycap Podium, Ticket Counter, Gate or new RAPID CHECK-IN Kiosk.

llane
05-02-2004, 11:03 AM
As a single traveler, I have many times just done carry on. As a mom I havn't.

Your tickets do allow carry ons and if you follow the guidelines no one should (IMO) have a problem with that.

Now back to your original question.
Packing is doable and the plane might be doable if there is enough space and your fellow travelers are accomondating. Where I see the problem is in the airport. You'll have 5 (or more) bags to get through security along with your children. I know nothing of your airport, but here it is still a walk to the terminal often using trams, conveyors or escalators, will your children be handle their carryons? Lastly you have to take those bags everywhere you go in the terminal. That's at least 2 hours of snack bars, bathroom breaks and different windows for plane watching.

I check our bags because of the convenience of not lugging it all, because I know I'll be the one lugging more than just my bag.

Good luck with your decision.

crazy_for_the_dis
05-02-2004, 01:03 PM
I agree that if people follow the guidelines, no one should have a problem with carry-ons, but its the people that don't that bother me. Airlines restrict travelers to one carry-on, to be under 22". But then most travelers have an additional duffle bag on top that does not meet the criteria for a personal item (purse, computer, briefcase, camera case, etc.) Heck, sometimes the duffel bag is almost as big as the roll-on.

This topic struck a nerve with me this week, because one woman who did not follow the rules, caused the flight attendant to completely rearrange the overheads. Well, she moved my computer case, flipping it over. I had a shot glass that I bought my BF (he collects them) in the case, and well, yes, it got smashed. I guess it taught me a lesson, no more shot glasses in computer cases!!! But if the woman on the flight followed the rules and had consideration for other travelers, it would not have happened.

kda
05-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I had no idea that any airline would accept a 24" bag as a carry-on. That sounds difficult to handle. It certainly depends on how full the bags are packed, but our 21" bag felt pretty heavy last week. We had it packed full (clothes only) and I got tired of pulling it behind me between the parking garage and the airport. Thank goodness we checked it in --- it's quite a distance to get it to and from the gate in Orlando.

I second the idea of having the kids practice pulling their bags when fully loaded --- and have them pull them for several blocks, since there's so much distance to walk.

I, too, am very reluctant to assist anyone get a bag in or out of the overhead bin. As a nurse, I've done lots of lifting. I've found that these bags may be off-balance and very heavy. There's no way to know until it's too late, plus, it's difficult to use good body mechanics under these circumstances.

zakatak
05-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Well, basically, based on the opinions on this thread I started to rethink my idea. Then I thought about the KIOSK for Southwest. IF I have separate tickets for the kids, how can they print them at the KIOSK without a credit card in their name? I think with kids tickets, I would have to check in at the desk anyways, right?

But to answer another objection about space, we would be preboarding with the 4 year old, so space wasn't an issue.

Rest assured, we will be checking the luggage (all but one carryon with the champagne in it :p ) due to the hassle of dragging it everywhere and the ticket issues.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. You brought up a couple of points I hadn't thought of, so thanks. Now, no flames against the preboarding issue, as we will all preboard if we can, and if we can't then I will board with my 4 year old and my dh will board with the 6 and 8 year old. However, if they don't say anything, we will preboard together. :wave2: With only one carryon!

Thanks.

Karen

robdam
05-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Why not just check your luggage? Is it really that big of a deal? I'm not being sarcastic!:D

dcfromva
05-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Well, basically, based on the opinions on this thread I started to rethink my idea. Then I thought about the KIOSK for Southwest. IF I have separate tickets for the kids, how can they print them at the KIOSK without a credit card in their name? I think with kids tickets, I would have to check in at the desk anyways, right?
Karen
zakatak,
I wondered about that myself. We had split up our tickets so that we could use the on-line check in, but on our last trip I couldn't get it to work on our outbound leg (operator error :) ). Instead, we used the kiosks to get our boarding passes--each one of us went up to a machine. Luckily, DS had a debit card to use, but at that point I wondered what if he didn't have one? I was wondering if you could access it via record number using the credit card with which it was purchased?

-DC :ears:

mep319
05-02-2004, 09:07 PM
I don't know about SW but w/ USAIR you can use the CC that the reservations were made with and everyones is printed at the kiosk..I've printed DD when we have done weekend trips w/ no checked luggage!:rolleyes:
...I'm assuming they are all like this. Sans flames...have fun:teeth:

SB in KY
05-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Well it looks to me like you have 3 options....go with all carryons and endure the "looks" and hog the overhead space and create a near riot when it takes you 15 minutes to get all the luggage out of the overheads while everyone else is waiting to deplane, and then remember to not buy anything while there that is more than 6 square inches because there is no room to get it home...fast, but not altogether satisfactory.

Second you could check all the luggage and take small carryons and endure the lines with kids and luggage (I hate standing in those huge lines). Prehaps a few dollars to the skycap would be well spent here for curbside checkin, print your boarding passes at home before you leave and you avoid the ticket counter line, don't have to drag all the junk around 2 airports with you (not to mention getting 5 or 6 suitcases through security (ugh)

You also might try hanging on to the bags if you want to avoid the counter lines... then if the fkight is full or close to it, just ask the flight attendant as you board the plane if they would like you to gate check the luggage...they will take it there and you don't have to juggle it on the plane. You would have to pick it up at the carousel, but that would probably be worth not having to load/unload it from the overheads. If the flight is mostly empty then you could hang onto all of it.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 10:47 PM

But to answer another objection about space, we would be preboarding with the 4 year old, so space wasn't an issue.

Rest assured, we will be checking the luggage (all but one carryon with the champagne in it :p ) due to the hassle of dragging it everywhere and the ticket issues.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. You brought up a couple of points I hadn't thought of, so thanks. Now, no flames against the preboarding issue, as we will all preboard if we can, and if we can't then I will board with my 4 year old and my dh will board with the 6 and 8 year old. However, if they don't say anything, we will preboard together. :wave2: With only one carryon!

Thanks.

Karen

You can all preboard. Children 4 and under do preboard, as we know, and the parents and the sibs are allowed to preboard as well.
You can, btw, use curbside checkin, they will take your luggage and print your boarding passes. Well worth the tip, btw.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dcfromva
zakatak,
I wondered about that myself. We had split up our tickets so that we could use the on-line check in, but on our last trip I couldn't get it to work on our outbound leg (operator error :) ). Instead, we used the kiosks to get our boarding passes--each one of us went up to a machine. Luckily, DS had a debit card to use, but at that point I wondered what if he didn't have one? I was wondering if you could access it via record number using the credit card with which it was purchased?

-DC :ears:

You can use your RR card too.

cudworth
05-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Our family of 4 went at at Easter for 9 days and we only had carry on and it was very doable for us.we all also carried a back pack my children are aged 9 and 11 . We packed only enough for 5 days then we did laundry we only took 1 pair of pants each that we wore on the plane. So to conclude it is very doable.

QBUSH
05-03-2004, 10:10 AM
we too enjoy the "no waiting" for bags routine; this is what we do, its just a thought, ds just takes a backpack, I take a small carryon; one week before our travel day I UPS a box to our resort with extra clothes, snacks or whatever; when its time to return I have the hotel ship it back and if we have purchased souvenirs I send them home in a box too; no hassles, no angry looks and not taking up more that our "under the seat" space.

goofy4tink
05-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I've dont it both ways. Yes, I like not having to wait for my luggage. But, I really hate having to lug it into the bathroom with me too!!! Now, with two adults that would be different. One can stay with the bags while the other does the bathroom with the kids. Have to say that our future trips will be with backpacks on the plane with us and the rest will be checked. I hate it when someone just has to get up and down the whole flight to get something out of their bag that just happens to be above my head!! Guess I'll just start chilling out a little early and be patient waiting for my stuff this time.

clkelley
05-03-2004, 04:09 PM
That's why we love our direct flight commuter planes to Orlando!!!

We have the best of both worlds with this flight.

We go with only carry-ons (1 20" pullman each and Hubby's bag with his C-Pap and prescriptions, and then the ECV). I check-in online at home and we go straight to the gate. On our return trip, we use the kiosk to check-in.

But since it is a commuter flight, all but "personal bags" such as computers, purses, and briefcases are gate checked. They go in the cargo area with the checked luggage but are given back to us at the gate, then we go straight to our towncar.

Of course our boys are 16 & 17 and taller than we are and usually pull our bags for us :-)

Carol

LuAnimal
05-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by cudworth
We packed only enough for 5 days then we did laundry we only took 1 pair of pants each that we wore on the plane.

Call me weird, but I'd rather stand in line for a mere 15 minutes for my luggage than do laundry for 1 1/2 hours at disney. Got the t-shirt the dryers are s-l-o-w!

I travel a lot and I'm one of those lazy passengers who would rather wait for the luggage carousel than passengers with oversized luggage trying to pass them off as carry ons while blocking the aisle and holding up everyone else. Remember some passengers have connections to make, not all airports are final destinations, even Orlando, passengers may be trying to make it upon a cruise.

A bathroom trip, a shopping spree or even a drink (all which can be accomplished in the airport) is better than being cooped up on an airplane watching ppl think they are actually saving time. Unless you are traveling international and going through customs the most you are saving yourself is 15 - 20 minutes, but you're adding aggravation to yourself and those around you.

Lu

GAIL HAYDEN
05-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by LuAnimal
Call me weird, but I'd rather stand in line for a mere 15 minutes for my luggage than do laundry for 1 1/2 hours at disney. Got the t-shirt the dryers are s-l-o-w!

I travel a lot and I'm one of those lazy passengers who would rather wait for the luggage carousel than passengers with oversized luggage trying to pass them off as carry ons while blocking the aisle and holding up everyone else. Remember some passengers have connections to make, not all airports are final destinations, even Orlando, passengers may be trying to make it upon a cruise.

A bathroom trip, a shopping spree or even a drink (all which can be accomplished in the airport) is better than being cooped up on an airplane watching ppl think they are actually saving time. Unless you are traveling international and going through customs the most you are saving yourself is 15 - 20 minutes, but youy're adding aggravation to yourself and those around you.

Lu
ITA, those people are saving time, for themselves, however, they are extending the wait for other pax, not a very considerate thing to do, IMHO.

drogerstn
05-04-2004, 08:09 PM
ITA, those people are saving time, for themselves, however, they are extending the wait for other pax, not a very considerate thing to do, IMHO. Actually, carryon passengers are saving time for those who checked their bags since there are fewer bags for the airline to handle at arrival.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Actually, carryon passengers are saving time for those who checked their bags since there are fewer bags for the airline to handle at arrival.

Yep, by making everyone wait on the airplane certainly saves time, for the folks who don't wait for their luggage. If that were the case, they would not have limits on the amount you can carry on. The airlines know how many flights, the average amount of baggage per pax and plan accordingly. That "arguement" sounds like one that would be made to justify bringing carry ons on the plane. I would be happy if they did not allow any but one personal item that fit under the seat. Would make boarding and deplaning a hell of a lot faster.

drogerstn
05-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Call me weird, but I'd rather stand in line for a mere 15 minutes for my luggage than do laundry for 1 1/2 hours at disney. Got the t-shirt the dryers are s-l-o-w! LuAnimal, you are weird…:tongue:
If we wait until we get home to do laundry, we (family of 4 usually on a 10+ day trip) will have a huge amount to do and we have enough things to get caught up on when we get back home. Also, some clothes get really dirty and its better to wash them within a few days instead of waiting for 7 to 10 days. We don’t necessarily plan on doing laundry so that we can pack light, but it makes sense. We do laundry at WDW when it doesn’t interfere with our schedule.

LuAnimal
05-04-2004, 08:49 PM
LuAnimal, you are weird…:tongue:
If we wait until we get home to do laundry, we (family of 4 usually on a 10+ day trip) will have a huge amount to do and we have enough things to get caught up on when we get back home. Also, some clothes get really dirty and its better to wash them within a few days instead of waiting for 7 to 10 days. We don’t necessarily plan on doing laundry so that we can pack light, but it makes sense. We do laundry at WDW when it doesn’t interfere with our schedule.

LOL!!! I agree. ::yes::

My point was for those who do laundry to save time at the airport just so they can carry their bags and not check them. 1 1/2 laundry vs 15 minutes bag carousel....hmmmmm.....

Carry on passengers do not save me one minute of time, more times than not I am connecting to a flight and they are eating up 15 - 20 minutes of my connection time. I have also been on more than one flight delayed due to trying to accomodate arranging overheads for all the carry on, granted the airlines are at fault for be so accommodating.

The last flight I went on (small purse only, 8 hour flight) the flight attendants actually thanked me and wished more travellers packed that way. What could you possibly need on the plane that won't fit into a purse or briefcase (unless traveling with small children!)?

Carry on passengers have no idea how they impact flight attendants, gate agents, and fellow passengers. I promise you, you aren't doing me or any one else any favors.

Lu

cudworth
05-04-2004, 10:54 PM
My family does not hold any one up with our carryon most times we have connections to make as well so when that plane lands we don't mess around . On our last trip at easter we had 2 connections with 30Mins between we were off that plane very qiuckly and I have a 9 and 11 year old with a carry on suitcase and a back pack each.

seashoreCM
05-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Airlines have rules about what luggage can be carried on. So long as I am following the rules, nobody should be complaining. On those trips when I don't want to schlep the luggage into the bathroom and restaurant I will check it. But it is my choice. Usually I am not in a hurry to get out of the plane so I am not in people's way.

Problems happen when people don't obey the rules (howcum it seems like biztravelers all the time both breaking the rules and doin' the complaining?)

If the flight crew enforced the existing carry on rules there would be less need to re-arrange everything.

Also I volunteer for being bumped a lot, and if I don't have to check any luggage I have a better chance.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by cudworth
My family does not hold any one up with our carryon most times we have connections to make as well so when that plane lands we don't mess around . On our last trip at easter we had 2 connections with 30Mins between we were off that plane very qiuckly and I have a 9 and 11 year old with a carry on suitcase and a back pack each.

Really? You may have managed to get off the plane quickly, but, how many did you hold up while getting at least 6 pieces of luggage and backpacks out of the overheads and out from under the seats? I will bet you neither noticed or cared.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Problems happen when people don't obey the rules (howcum it seems like biztravelers all the time both breaking the rules and doin' the complaining?)

I don't break the rules, one personal item each, which stows under the seat, I don't often travel for business, but, you can bet I am complaining about the ones that do break the rules. I wonder how many carryons would make it if they used templates on the scanners. Bet many would have to go back to the counter.

cudworth
05-05-2004, 07:46 AM
we had our backpacks on our backs as soon as we landed we never held anyone up as we were unable to get off as the rest of the people were still standing waiting to get off. I agree many with carryon hold other up but don't lump everyone into that same group.

ducklite
05-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by LuAnimal
What could you possibly need on the plane that won't fit into a purse or briefcase (unless traveling with small children!)?
Lu

I generally take my handbag and a tote bag as carry-on. In that I can carry my laptop, camera, toiletry essentials and cosmetics, jewelry, a change of underwear and clean shirt, and my medications, plus a magazine or two for the plane with plenty of room to spare.

I agree, I don't know why anyone would need more than that in their carryon. More than that and I check it.

Anne

drogerstn
05-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Would make boarding and deplaning a hell of a lot faster. On the few occasions that I have been able to get out of the aircraft quickly without slow movers blocking progress in the jetway, I only find myself waiting at the baggage carousel because the bags haven't arrived. Passengers handling their own carryon has a minimal effect on the time required to load and offload the aircraft; it takes more time for some people to waddle out of their seats than it does for me to grab a carryon bag out of the overhead bin.

you can bet I am complaining about the ones that do break the rules. I wonder how many carryons would ...make it if they used templates on the scanners. Bet many would have to go back to the counter. I agree with you on this.

drogerstn
05-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Carry on passengers have no idea how they impact flight attendants, gate agents, and fellow passengers. I promise you, you aren't doing me or any one else any favors. Additional checked baggage would have a negative impact on the number of mishandled bags and would require more resources for the airlines. Airlines have increased carryon space in their aircraft as there is competition to accommodate passengers who don't want to check their bags (primarily business travelers).

LuAnimal, I only called you weird earlier because you requested it. As far as laundry at WDW goes, it seems from posts that I have read that its a pretty even split between those that do laundry and those that think its not something to be done on vacation. I know its a 50/50 split in my family. This would make an interesting poll.

mep319
05-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Well if you want to start here...NO WAY would I ever do laundry on vacation...it is vacation right??? I don't cook or clean and this includes laundry. Not to mention the chunk of time it takes out of my day...and my vacation days are valuable!

DMRick
05-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Airlines have rules about what luggage can be carried on. So long as I am following the rules, nobody should be complaining.

I agree. Although for myself, I prefer to check all except one bag with my laptop and reading materials, if I see a family of 5 come onboard with one (legal size) bag and a personal item each, it makes no nevermind to me. Go after the person carrying the oversized bag or two. You know those guys..the ones who have to shove and push and rearrange to get their item to fit above..then we all have to wait for them to try and pull it out from above, an dhope they don' tbreak out necks while it's on the way down. That's who the airline should stop.
It really doesn't matter if you have five individuals carrying one (legal) size bag and personal item, or a family. It just looks like more when a family is lumped together.

Lewisc
05-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Not complaining BUT there isn't enough room for on board for carryons if every passenger takes the maximum. I've seen SW require passengers gate check luggage on sold out flights.
Really no point in lugging the kids and the luggage through the airport just to have it checked in at the gate. OP asked for opinions. Going through the airport (and security) with kids and that much luggage isn't really worth it.

Last trip to Orlando the luggage actually beat me. I didn't make any stops but didn't push ahead of people either.

DMRick
05-05-2004, 03:36 PM
BUT there isn't enough room for on board for carryons if every passenger takes the maximum

Since everyone doesn't carry it on (we don't bring all we are allowed..not even close..we use under the seat storage), that would seldom happen. Even with our totally booked flights I've never seen the carry on luggage on SW not all make it (not saying it doesn't happen, but that it would be rare, since they have under the seat areas and above the seat areas to stow it).
The thing is, there is nothing "morally" wrong or against the rules for this gal to bring all her carryon. It seems to me, some are saying, it's ok if it's just one person, but not if it's a family. Again, if they actually measured the carry ons, you'd see a lot more getting checked.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by mep319
Well if you want to start here...NO WAY would I ever do laundry on vacation...it is vacation right??? I don't cook or clean and this includes laundry. Not to mention the chunk of time it takes out of my day...and my vacation days are valuable!

I do do laundry on vacation, but, the washer and dryer are right there in the unit, so, it is not a big deal to toss a load in and go on my merry way. I also cook, but, then again, it is easy stuff.
IF I were not staying at OKW, then you can bet there would be NO laundry and no cooking.

mep319
05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
We were DVC members for a brief time and it was the one time I did do laundry since it was in the unit. An as you said I threw in a load left came back thru it in the dryer...that's a bit different but I'm certainly not going down to the resort laundry room to do it! I still didn't cook though!:p

goofy4tink
05-05-2004, 06:19 PM
The one time I flew PanAm out of Worcester, we departed incredibly fast due to the fact that no carry on was allowed period!!! It was 2 months after 9-11 so I can understand their policy. Also...once when we flew to MCO, all the overhead storage was used!! Someone in the far back reaches of the plane had to use the flight attendants storage area, in the front! There did seem to be a lot of oversized stuff being allowed on. Like I said before, I've traveled both ways. But, for the most part I check the luggage and carry a back-pack with essentials in it, as do the rest of my family...just in case our luggage doesn't get there when we do. I wish more people that do travel with carry-on only would be more considerate of others. I've had to wait quite a while for someone to take down their stuff and get all arranged. But, there have been some nice folk that have just moved aside to let us out.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by DMRick
Since everyone doesn't carry it on (we don't bring all we are allowed..not even close..we use under the seat storage), that would seldom happen. Even with our totally booked flights I've never seen the carry on luggage on SW not all make it (not saying it doesn't happen, but that it would be rare, since they have under the seat areas and above the seat areas to stow it).
The thing is, there is nothing "morally" wrong or against the rules for this gal to bring all her carryon. It seems to me, some are saying, it's ok if it's just one person, but not if it's a family. Again, if they actually measured the carry ons, you'd see a lot more getting checked.

I have seen it happen a number of times with the plane only half full. some people were most definitely annoyed.

DMRick
05-05-2004, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE]I have seen it

Half full and it was filled? My goodness..that's a lot of overhead space filled. The airline must have been using some of the space themselves...don't you think? Each case holds enough for several seats. We've been lucky, even with the over stuffed cases a lot of people use, even on full planes, that hasn't happened for any of the trips we have taken. It must really hold the plane up, since each person would have to go and check it and then go through another inspection.
In that case, you would think SW would start taking a look at that problem.

Lewisc
05-05-2004, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE]I have seen it

Half full and it was filled? My goodness..that's a lot of overhead space filled. The airline must have been using some of the space themselves...don't you think? Each case holds enough for several seats. We've been lucky, even with the over stuffed cases a lot of people use, even on full planes, that hasn't happened for any of the trips we have taken. It must really hold the plane up, since each person would have to go and check it and then go through another inspection.

There isn't enough room if everyone maxs out their carryon. SW has signs asking people not to be bin hogs.

DOESN'T HOLD THE PLANE UP AT ALL. The bags are checked in at the gate. The FA calls back to the employee who is boarding the plane. They announce no more "rolling bags" and will take the bag from you and give you a claim check on the spot.

On full flights I've seen them go around to people waiting on line and had them check the bags.

Very common on flights I've been on.

DMRick
05-05-2004, 11:21 PM
There isn't enough room if everyone maxs out their carryon.

My point was that not everyone does max out rheir carryon. Just look at this thread and see how many don't bring carryon. We see lots of people without much more than a newspaper.
It must depend on where you get yoru flights. Here in Albany, it seems most people don't bother with a lot of carryon (although those that do have it seem to be families and men with a really oversized bag.

The only thing I've ever seen gate checked here, was a stroller. I did see someone being told they had to go and check in their bag (they left, I assumed to go dwnstairs to check it) because they had three bags. I didn't even know you could gate check luggage.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-06-2004, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE]I have seen it

No, it was from the Pax. Yes, each overhead holds enough for many seats and many people brought on a lot of stuff. It does not hold the plane up, the bags are gate checked. A gate attendant goes to the waiting pax and gives them a tag, which the pax fills out, and the bags are taken to the cargo hold.
One would think that the airline would look at the problem and I feel sure they have, but, it does happen. I have seen pax board and have to walk halfway back the length of the plane to stash their stuff. And, of course, play the fish swimming up stream to get the baggage when people are trying to get off.
The airline takes approx. one half of a bin in three spot throughout the plane for the pillows and blankets. One half of a bin in the back for the snacks. The rest is for the pax.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-06-2004, 07:00 AM
My point was that not everyone does max out rheir carryon. Just look at this thread and see how many don't bring carryon. We see lots of people without much more than a newspaper.
It must depend on where you get yoru flights. Here in Albany, it seems most people don't bother with a lot of carryon (although those that do have it seem to be families and men with a really oversized bag.

The only thing I've ever seen gate checked here, was a stroller. I did see someone being told they had to go and check in their bag (they left, I assumed to go dwnstairs to check it) because they had three bags. I didn't even know you could gate check luggage.

As a rule you cannot gate check anything but strollers and wheelchairs, but, it does happen when there is not enough room in the overhead.
Like I said, I bring my small bag which fits under the seat. Dee brings his small bag with the laptop and cameras, it goes in the overhead. If we don't bring the laptop, the cameras go in my bag with books, travel documents and etc. I simply do not wish to be a pack mule on vacation or any travel. I find that people with the max. amount of carryons hold up security and hold up boarding and deplaning. Mostly because 9 times out of ten, they have something in that carryon that is not supposed to be there.
Or some child will not part with his bag or some businessman is being a PITA. The lines, which are very long at MCO, would move a heck of a lot faster if people would check their bags. Until the airlines change the rule, we will just have to grin and bear it.