PDA

View Full Version : Anyone under 25 ever rented a car

MizlurksaLot
04-30-2004, 05:49 PM
My cousin and I are thinking about staying at Pop for 2 extra days and going to Universal and/or seaworld. I'm thinking it would probably be most economical if we rented a car, but we're both only 21. We'd probably pick the car up at the airport (we'd go along with 2 friends who probably won't stay the extra days). I know it can be difficult to rent a car if you're under 25, I found a site that said that Alamo and Dollar will rent to someone who is 21. Is that accurate, has anyone under 25 ever rented from either? For that matter has anyone rented from them? How are they? What about the extra fee? How much is it?

GAIL HAYDEN
04-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by MizlurksaLot
My cousin and I are thinking about staying at Pop for 2 extra days and going to Universal and/or seaworld. I'm thinking it would probably be most economical if we rented a car, but we're both only 21. We'd probably pick the car up at the airport (we'd go along with 2 friend who probably won't stay the extra days). I know it can be difficult to rent a car if you're under 25, I found a site that said that Alamo and Dollar will rent to someone who is 21. Is that accurate, has anyone under 25 ever rented from either? For that matter has anyone rented from them? How are they? What about the extra fee? How much is it?

The fees vary. Run a reservation and see.
Alamo will rent to under 25. In fact, most will, but the fees can be hefty.

SRUAlmn
04-30-2004, 06:17 PM
We tried to rent from Budget (I believe) last year when I was 25 and the boyfriend was 24. They said we would have to pay a large fee because he was not 25. I called a couple other places that said we didn't have to be 25, but like Gail Hayden said...we were going to be charged about $75 more per day because of it! If you find a place that will let you, make sure you are clear on the extra charges they will apply due to your age.

princess:

MizlurksaLot
04-30-2004, 06:39 PM
$75 more a day? Perhaps it wouldn't be more economical for us. Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'm off to check out other options - :)

SRUAlmn
04-30-2004, 08:42 PM
I know I may be flamed for this, but I really think it's ridiculous! You are old enough to drive, you are old enough to vote, you are old enough to go to war, you are old enough to drink, but yet you aren't allowed to rent a car. I really don't understand...I know...I know....they have their reasons for insurance purposes, but I know many 21-24 year olds that are more mature than some 30 & 40 year olds... you know?

GAIL HAYDEN
04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by SRUAlmn
I know I may be flamed for this, but I really think it's ridiculous! You are old enough to drive, you are old enough to vote, you are old enough to go to war, you are old enough to drink, but yet you aren't allowed to rent a car. I really don't understand...I know...I know....they have their reasons for insurance purposes, but I know many 21-24 year olds that are more mature than some 30 & 40 year olds... you know?

Blame the actuaries that plot the stats. Stats say under 25 are more of a risk. The fact that you and I know folks under 25 that are more mature than some 30 and ups does not mean a lot in the grand scheme of things.

snoopy5386
04-30-2004, 11:49 PM
I did this several times before I turned 25. Rent from Enterprise. Their under 25 driver fee is $10 per day, compared with $25 and up per day for other companies. We could never find a cheaper fee than enterprise.

SRUAlmn
05-01-2004, 10:28 AM
"ahh!
$75 more a day? Perhaps it wouldn't be more economical for us. Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'm off to check out other options - "

I'm so sorry! It was that much for 2 days (which is still a lot!) I mis-spoke :)

MizlurksaLot
05-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Thank you, I'll check into enterprise. It's good to know it's not actually $75 more per day. Don't worry about it, I'm glad you misspoke, I was kind of worried for a minute there :)

TarraLee
05-01-2004, 11:19 AM
National's under age fee is $10/day if you're an Emerald Club member. Mousesavers lists ways to get the emerald membership for free, so that's another good choice. And you can combine the codes and coupons too.

hercamore
05-01-2004, 03:34 PM
My dd and her gf (21) are going to Orlando in January and staying at POP. They want to go to Universal, too, for a day.

Now DD is responsible and all, but she is still under my car insurance and I don't want her driving in a major city with a rental car.

I will reserve a town car for them from the airport (special cuz its dd's birthday) and then they plan to take Mears to Universal.

Good luck with whatever you decide.