PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream Social

KEH
04-30-2004, 11:42 AM
We are a family of 5 with a DD16 and two DSs 14. DH, DD and I are all Disney and character mad. The boys are at the age where they love the rides but tend to pronounce some things as "cheesy". Don't you just love teenagers!

Anyway, the boys are also very picky eaters. The last few trips we have had a character lunch at Crystal Palace but last time I was a bit disappointed with it. We would like to try something else this time, maybe non character.

However, so that DD, DH and I can get our "character fix", I wondered whether to book the Ice Cream Social. Even my 2 DSs will eat ice cream!!! (As long as there's no fresh cream on it!). Would we feel out of place? Is it really for people with smaller children?

Any views?

bairdbeth
04-30-2004, 01:04 PM
I say go for it! The ice cream is great and the character interaction is awesome. The floor revolves and the restraunt is circular. You don't really have a feeling for who all is seated in the room with you as you can't see them very well. My DD and I have been 2 times and love it! She wants to go again in July. She is only 8,but wouldn't do anything geared toward "little" kids!

MrsPotts
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
We did the ice cream social when my DS was 12 he is now 14. I'm getting ready to make our PS's for our trip this summer and asked him what character meals he would do, he said absolutely NO PRINCESSES! But he would be willing to do the ice cream social again. Figured if he would bring that one up he actually must have enjoyed it! According to him it's OK to see the characters that are in costumes and can't talk to the guests. He hated the princesses because they talked and asked questions, he is such a teenager!! I'd make the PS's for the ice cream social and then make them stand up and take pictures with each character, multiple times if necessary!! And if you are feeling especially ornery, make a PS for the princesses! Well, at least threaten them with it!!!!

hopelea
04-30-2004, 04:58 PM
HELP.......where & what is the ice cream social?

Thanks, princess:

DonaldsGrl103
04-30-2004, 05:42 PM
I would defiantly take them. My college friends and I always go and we are 21- 24 years of age and just love it. The Ice cream is really good and its a good way to cool off in the heat. Its only I believe 7.00 per person so you cant go wrong since you get a nice ice cream which in the park I believe the bars are almost 3.00 and you get character interaction- I say go for it and enjoy. The social is located in epcot at the garden grille restaurant at the land.

hopelea
04-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Where do I find info on the social? I looked on the WDW website and didn't find anything.

Should I have a PS?? We are going the first week in June.

Thanks
:mickeybar

HollyJoy
04-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Bumping

...because I want to find out more about this Ice Cream Social too!

rngrblu9
04-30-2004, 10:40 PM
i would love to know what an ice cream social is too?!

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
05-01-2004, 12:27 AM
It should be listed under Garden Grill as character meal (even though it's not a meal)?
In any case- at Epcot.. at the Garden Grill restaurant- you can usually book a PS for afternoon "ice cream social". It's a nice ice cream dessert at the Garden Grill but you have characters come by and visit with you... dressed like in farm/garden attire. :) (Mickey, Chip & Dale when I went).

I think this is a great choice for those that either don't/won't appreciate whatever food is served at the higher priced character meals OR if they are older children... I went to this ice cream social myself at age 33 and thoroughly enjoyed myself! So surely teens won't be "geeked" out by it. ;)

Tina26
05-01-2004, 12:54 AM
You can find more info on the ICS at: www.allearsnet.com/din/cb.htm
You will definitely need PS though. I called last week trying to get a PS for July 15th and they were all booked up:rolleyes: Oh well, maybe we'll get to do it next year.

The great thing about this is that it's only $6.99 for everyone!

Tamickey
05-01-2004, 03:40 PM
The link page says it's hosted at 3, 3:10 & 3:20 each afternoon. does that mean it's only a 10 minute event? Or are those just seating times? What did I miss?

HollyJoy
05-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Seems as though this event isn't a great one. The reviews of it left much to be desired. I was hopeful to substitue a character meal for this one (less expensive!!). Not so sure now. Has ANYONE had a wonderful experience at this event?

cobbler
05-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Wow, learn something new all the time. I am intrigued by the ice cream social. mmm, ice cream.

edited to add:
Is this a 90 day out ps reservation?

Aisling
05-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Holly,

My family had a wonderful time at the Ice Cream Social. My sons were 16 and 10 at the time, and they thought it was cool. We sat in a round booth, very private where we couldn't even see other people. The restaurant slowly revolves around "The Land", and you see different types of landscapes. The server was funny, singing ee-ii-ee-ii-oo, in keeping with the farm-theme! The ice cream was yummy, the pricw was low, and the best part...the character interaction.
The way the booths are set up, you don't see the character coming until it's right there in front of you, or peeking around the side of the booth, as Pluto did. It was great! Chip was there, and farmer Mickey. They came around twice, and Pluto got silly with DH, sitting down next to him and putting his huge nose right on top og DHs head! It was so good that we're doing it again this trip. I DO recommend it.

bethbuchall
05-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by HollyJoy
Seems as though this event isn't a great one. The reviews of it left much to be desired. I was hopeful to substitue a character meal for this one (less expensive!!). Not so sure now. Has ANYONE had a wonderful experience at this event?

I haven't tried this yet, but I have a PS in about a week and a half. I've read many positive comments on this board about it and few negative ones.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Beth