PDA

View Full Version : Where would you take MIL????

maggiew
04-29-2004, 10:26 PM
My Mother in Law who lives in St. Petersburg will be picking us up from the St. Pete airport Friday night (Aug. 6). We will be staying overnight with her and then on Saturday her and her new husband will be driving us to Walt Disney World. (They are not staying. Just giving us a lift.) We would like to take them out for dinner that night. They live in Florida but haven't been to Disney World in probably 15 years!!! They don't quite understand our enjoyment with WDW, but are pretty good about keeping their opinions to themselves (about WDW, at least).

Anyway, where would you take them - non-park restaurant?? I want it to be kind of nice because I want to show them some things we like about WDW but not super expensive.

We are staying at Pop Century but will obviously have their car so we could drive anywhere.

Maggie

CoolDisneyCat
04-29-2004, 11:48 PM
What about Spoodle's at the Boardwalk? The Boardwalk area is so cool in the evenings. There is so much to see and do. The view of Epcot and the YC/BC across the lake is very impressive. Flying Fish is also great, if you like seafood, but it cost more than Spoodle's.

Another idea would be Jiko at AKL, or Boma if Jiko is too pricey. Go before dark and spend some time viewing the animals.

Portabella Yacht Club at DTD is a nice place with delicious Italian food.

All of these places were not there 15 years ago. I think any would impress someone!:D

BuffaloDisney
04-30-2004, 05:33 AM
My top 3 non-park restaurants for quality & value are
Cape May Cafe
Kona Cafe
Espn Club

Uncleromulus
04-30-2004, 06:32 AM
For a nice spot with a fine WDW "view" I'd suggest the California Grill.

crisi
04-30-2004, 07:35 AM
We took my mother in law to three WDW restaurants that weren't in parks.

Narcoosees was her hands down favorite of the trip. Great food. She got to check out the Grand Floridian. And the castle could be seen from our table. But it IS expensive.

We went to Spoodles, which was fun. Less expensive. But Spoodles could be a restaurant anywhere

We went to Boma. We really aren't buffet people, but I'd heard such good things. We weren't impressed with the restaurant, but the resort was worth the trip.

The hubby and I went to the Kona Cafe - another great resort to check out, the menu is great and fairly reasonably proced.

TwingleMum
04-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Do you like your MIL??? Only kidding.

Boma or Jiko - My first would be Boma because of the wonderful selections. If she is a dessert person she'll be in heaven. The AKL is awesome. Its like going on safari without the long plane ride. After dinner you can sit on rockers around the firepit and listen to the guides tell stories of home. You also can look at the animals using the night vision glasses with a guide who tells you about each animal. They also have a great cocktail lounge.

Spoodles(Boardwalk) or Yachtsman Steak house( Yacht/Beach Club)near EPCOT. Then you can walk around the boardwalk area and stop in the Boardwalk Bakery and Jellyrolls.

Have fun.

tinkerbeth
04-30-2004, 08:26 AM
LOL! I'd drop her at McDonald's and head to somewhere else. I'm guessing you like yours more than I like mine. :crazy:

Beth (aka that selfish b*tch who took her son away...) :hyper:

Kaycee
04-30-2004, 08:34 AM
My first thought was California Grill. Other great choices would be Narcoossee's or Citricos at the GF, and Spoodles or Flying Fish at the Boardwalk.

wdwgoofeeee
04-30-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree with another post that the Boardwalk with Spoodles and Flying Fish is a great area. I understand that the Flying Fish is very expensive, Spoodles not too bad. The Clam Bake at the Cape May Cafe (Beach Club) is very good, but I don't know if you want a buffet.
A great spot with excellent food and a nice atmosphere is the Kona Cafe on the second floor of the Polynesian.
The food is fabulous and we had a great (and quiet) dinner there last June.

iloveeeyore
04-30-2004, 01:27 PM
'Ohana or Kona Cafe. Then you could watch EWP and Wishes from the beach...

Unless you're going for the "look what's new at WDW...it's not just the Magic Kingdom, anymore," statement; then I'd do one of AKL restaurants or something at Boardwalk.

Traveliz
04-30-2004, 02:44 PM
If you have little children I would consider Chef Mickeys...that way grandma gets to see the kids soaking it all in. My inlaws live in St Pete Beach and they are not Disney people either but they had a good time and the food is ok. Gave them a chance to get really close to MK and see some of the scenery plus enjoy time with the kids.

maggiew
04-30-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I am still deciding. DH and I are eating at California Grill for our Aniversary, so that is probably out. I am now off to see the menus ...

Taveliz, my inlaws live in St. Pete Beach too. Well, technically their house may be on Treasure Island, but basically the same.

Maggie

LuvTigger
04-30-2004, 08:05 PM
How about Artist Point in WL? We love the resort and the restaurant. It might be a bit pricey depending on your budget though.

ScarlettO
04-30-2004, 08:15 PM
So are they spending the night in Orlando? Because that's a good 2 hour drive,I guess.

Problem is all of WDW sit down restaurants are very pricey -at night. Entree's tend to start at $18 and up. So maybe lunch instead?Maybe the Buffet at Fort Wilderness for lunch would be different and fun?

Ron from Michigan
04-30-2004, 10:16 PM
I would suggest going to Spoodles the food is very good and after dinner you can stroll around the Boardwalk.

chipnwendy
05-01-2004, 08:57 AM
To the bus station.

maggiew
05-03-2004, 12:07 PM
What do you think about taking her to the Grand Floridian tea? As ScarletO pointed out, they will still have a 2 hour drive back to St. Pete Beach, so maybe dinner isn't such a great idea.

For a dinner, I was thinking the Chef Mickey sounded good. We were planning on going there anywhere (its a great place to see all the "main" characters), so why not with MIL?? Or maybe Concourse Steakhouse.

Maggie

Alice28
05-03-2004, 12:21 PM
When we went with both my parents and my mother in law (age ranges from 55-63), we all really liked Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge, 'Ohana at the Poly and Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club. All three have good food, and lots to choose from so you can please just about anyone, and they all have unique atmospheres!