PDA

View Full Version : Just how crowded is the Alamo desk @ MCO?


Annette_VA
04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
We'll be in Orlando Sept 10-22 & will be renting a car. I've done a comparison of rack rates for all the rental car co's at MCO. (I want a co that is in the airport because I'll have my 1yo & 3 yo w/ me & refuse to do a shuttle bus w/ them & all our gear in tow.)

So, looking at the rates, Alamo has the best. But, I just learned that Alamo is the new official car rental co of WDW. In past visits, National was & I remember there were always HUGE lines at the National desk.

Is the Alamo desk usually bad? I am an extremely impatient person & will pay the extra cost to go to a shorter line if I have to! LOL

TIA for any input.

antmaril
04-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I will not use Alamo/National (they are now owned by the same company) at MCO. We use Avis and walk right up to the counter. I have only seen long lines at Alamo/National.

Esmerelda
04-29-2004, 01:39 PM
The last time we used Alamo we waited for almost 2 hours in line with two small children. It was one of the worst car rental experiences ever and it didn't end at the counter unfortunately.

Do a search on Alamo and you can get more feedback.


just my 2 cents,
Esmerelda :rolleyes:

sif
04-29-2004, 01:57 PM
I just returned from WDW and rented an Alamo minivan. When we arrived at MCO on the afternoon of 4/24, the Alamo/National line was really long. But there were 8-10 agents working the counters, including the National people. I think I waited in line about 30 minutes. Sure, longer than I would want, but I can deal with that because my rate was much less than I would have received elsewhere. They had my reservation correct, including the child seat. No problems with the car and easy to return. Not a bad experience at all.

GAIL HAYDEN
04-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by antmaril
I will not use Alamo/National (they are now owned by the same company) at MCO. We use Avis and walk right up to the counter. I have only seen long lines at Alamo/National.

FYI, They have always been owned by the same company and have been sister companies for years. They were both recently sold to a holding company and remain sister companies.

GAIL HAYDEN
04-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Annette_VA
We'll be in Orlando Sept 10-22 & will be renting a car. I've done a comparison of rack rates for all the rental car co's at MCO. (I want a co that is in the airport because I'll have my 1yo & 3 yo w/ me & refuse to do a shuttle bus w/ them & all our gear in tow.)

So, looking at the rates, Alamo has the best. But, I just learned that Alamo is the new official car rental co of WDW. In past visits, National was & I remember there were always HUGE lines at the National desk.

Is the Alamo desk usually bad? I am an extremely impatient person & will pay the extra cost to go to a shorter line if I have to! LOL

TIA for any input.

It depends on the day of the week and the hour of the day.

If you are really short of patience, you are going to hate WDW's lines, even in Sept.

Join Quick Silver and use the dedicated line they have for members.

Annette_VA
04-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
If you are really short of patience, you are going to hate WDW's lines, even in Sept.


Oh, I'll stand in line for Disney! Big difference in waiting in line to rent a car & waiting to ride ToT! :)

EdDome
04-29-2004, 06:38 PM
You also get to look forward to the line exiting the garage where they check you paperwork, etc.

GAIL HAYDEN
04-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by EdDome
You also get to look forward to the line exiting the garage where they check you paperwork, etc.

I have yet to encounter that. Always moved quite quickly.

eljojo
04-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Last time we used Alamo at Disney, we stood in line for well over three hours and felt like we wasted half our day that was meant to start our vacation at one of the parks. The kids were hungry, hot and tired (and so was I). This year we're going to try using a town car service to and from the airport and for a few day trips to Universal, etc. It doesn't seem like it will be any more expensive than the prices I've been getting for rental cars for 9 days.

GAIL HAYDEN
04-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by eljojo
Last time we used Alamo at Disney, we stood in line for well over three hours and felt like we wasted half our day that was meant to start our vacation at one of the parks. The kids were hungry, hot and tired (and so was I). This year we're going to try using a town car service to and from the airport and for a few day trips to Universal, etc. It doesn't seem like it will be any more expensive than the prices I've been getting for rental cars for 9 days.

when was that?

inkkognito
04-29-2004, 11:58 PM
I've hit the really terrible garage line a couple of times, both times well after midnight on a Friday night. I've encountered over an hour's wait after midnight on Friday, too, but that was the famous trip where all but one counter person left, despite the full queue, and then the lone remaining counter person left for a bathroom break! Usually it's not that bad...no more than 45 mins. to an hour on a bad day, and sometimes a lot less. Usually we walk right up to Avis, but on our last trip they "pulled an Alamo" and the counter people bailed, even though there was a big crowd waiting. We waited like 30 or 45 minutes, which is the longest I've ever waited for Avis. But at least we were able to leave as soon as we got to the garage, and they gave us an upgrade (Alamo has been pretty generous with upgrades too). I've never figured out why Alamo is almost always the most crowded. Maybe it's a bunch of other Priceline cheapskates like me (although for my next two trips, Bill Shatner has given me Hertz).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************

antmaril
04-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Even though Alamo and National were sister companies, it was not obvious to the general public. They appeared to be separate companies. Now they share the counter and the shuttles (both logos appear on the bus). Either way, the long lines at MCO put me off and I don't want to waste the time. I've gotten decent deals at Avis and go with them.

EdDome
04-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
I have yet to encounter that. Always moved quite quickly.


15+ cars with one booth open takes at least 30 minutes.

GAIL HAYDEN
04-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by EdDome
15+ cars with one booth open takes at least 30 minutes.

I guess we have been very lucky. we have never seen more than 2 in any line.

GAIL HAYDEN
04-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by antmaril
Even though Alamo and National were sister companies, it was not obvious to the general public. They appeared to be separate companies. Now they share the counter and the shuttles (both logos appear on the bus). Either way, the long lines at MCO put me off and I don't want to waste the time. I've gotten decent deals at Avis and go with them.

I love Avis and if the rate was the same or close, I would be using them. But, it is about twice and frankly, waiting in line is worth the savings, and there is NO guarantee you won't have a line at Avis.

arminnie
04-30-2004, 06:33 PM
I rented at Alamo in January - I guess I hadn't rented from them in quite a while. I remember when they were offsite and had this HUGE checkin area with about 40 agents. The lines were very long but they really moved you out of there as there were so many agents.

I think I got in about 9 pm on a weekday in January. There were 3 agents on duty! I was just shocked after remembering the old site. I was in line for about 1 1/2 hours. There weren't that many people ahead of me - it just took forever.

I prefer Hertz as I have Hertz gold. Yes it is offsite but the buses run very frequently and with the gold service I am out of there very quickly. I stayed the first night right by the airport - across from the Hertz rental place. I would have gotten to my room at least an hour earlier if I had not used Alamo.

So why did I use Alamo? - I got in on Priceline for a very cheap rate. The car was really bare bones no frills. When I choose the bottom of the line Hertz I always get a car with at least electric windows and doors. But I'm cheap so sometimes I pay for it in other ways.

Lexxiefern
04-30-2004, 07:15 PM
It's been hit or miss for me. Sometimes we wait for over 1/2 and hour and sometimes it is 10 minutes. I despise waiting in line for a rental car - I think it is the worst part of the travel day. Because of this I joined National's Emerald Club and now I can skip the line and head right out to my car:tongue:

I don't know why I did not join sooner?

nuthut
04-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Poor Service, bad attitudes and just plain crabby employees who only goal is to rip you off. Just say no to Alamo!!!!

GAIL HAYDEN
04-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by nuthut
Poor Service, bad attitudes and just plain crabby employees who only goal is to rip you off. Just say no to Alamo!!!!

You have yet to rent from Alamo at MCO.

Esmerelda
05-01-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree Lexxiefern....I have never had any type of trouble or wait or attitudes at National and being able to just walk out, get in the car...turn in my paperwork is just awesome!! My boys, when they are traveling with me, agree that its just great.

I think the last time we were all 3 down there....I timed from the time I got our luggage and walked out...got the car...signed the paperwork. It might have been all of 14 minutes total! It is a great service and I always look forward to being able to zoom on out of MCO and start my vacation!

happy planning!
Esmerelda :teeth:

GAIL HAYDEN
05-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Esmerelda
I agree Lexxiefern....I have never had any type of trouble or wait or attitudes at National and being able to just walk out, get in the car...turn in my paperwork is just awesome!! My boys, when they are traveling with me, agree that its just great.

I think the last time we were all 3 down there....I timed from the time I got our luggage and walked out...got the car...signed the paperwork. It might have been all of 14 minutes total! It is a great service and I always look forward to being able to zoom on out of MCO and start my vacation!

happy planning!
Esmerelda :teeth:

We have been overcharged, had a voucher applied to someone in Texas with National. All the problems were resolved before we left the garage, but, no one is exempt from customer service goof ups. Errors happen, but, it is how they are handled that counts.

disneyeveryyear
05-02-2004, 12:14 AM
As a previous poster said, join *********** and you'll be fine.

We went in early April (week before Easter and very busy).

Booked car through Priceline and got Alamo. Read Mary's tips on Mousesavers.com about joining ***********.

Did that (at no cost). When we went to car rental area, there was an extremely long line (11:45 a.m. on a Sunday). We were able to bypass the line and go straight to booth in garage.

Attendant was very helpful. Signed papers, walked to full-size aisle, picked a car and were out of there by a little after 12:00.

It went quite well, and I would do it again.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by disneyeveryyear
As a previous poster said, join *********** and you'll be fine.

We went in early April (week before Easter and very busy).

Booked car through Priceline and got Alamo. Read Mary's tips on Mousesavers.com about joining ***********.

Did that (at no cost). When we went to car rental area, there was an extremely long line (11:45 a.m. on a Sunday). We were able to bypass the line and go straight to booth in garage.

Attendant was very helpful. Signed papers, walked to full-size aisle, picked a car and were out of there by a little after 12:00.

It went quite well, and I would do it again.

that is apparently a new thing. did they take your coupon, if you had one?

MaryKatesMom
05-02-2004, 11:34 AM
On our last trip we used Alamo and experienced a long line and an unpleasant employee. There was quite a few people waiting and only two counter service employee's. One of those two however, was dealing with a problem of some sort with another customer leaving only one person to take new customers. The airport was relatively uncrowded except for the Alamo line.

Since we have always been very happy with Disney transportation and have no plans on leaving the property we decided on our upcoming trip we would try a town car service. It is cheaper then our last rental and we hope to avoid waiting in line.

disneyeveryyear
05-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Gail,

We didn't have any coupons:( , so didn't have to worry about that.

Still, when we saw the line inside, Iwas dumb-founded. It had to snake back and forth 2 1/2 to 3 times. I asked about Quick Silver and counter attendant said, just go out to booth. The booth attendant finished with person she was helping and we were next.

Smooth as silk! Really happy with our Buick Century. Fit our large suitcase, medium suitcase, 3 bookbags, duffel bag from car seat, etc.

GAIL HAYDEN
05-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by disneyeveryyear
Gail,

We didn't have any coupons:( , so didn't have to worry about that.

Still, when we saw the line inside, Iwas dumb-founded. It had to snake back and forth 2 1/2 to 3 times. I asked about Quick Silver and counter attendant said, just go out to booth. The booth attendant finished with person she was helping and we were next.

Smooth as silk! Really happy with our Buick Century. Fit our large suitcase, medium suitcase, 3 bookbags, duffel bag from car seat, etc.

Thank you for the info. I would imagine if they have the capability to run a reservation and charge they can handle a coupon. :). I will call Alamo and see if this is an option I can use. We are QS members. Thanks again. :)