PDA

View Full Version : Help, my webbie won't work??? UPDATE - this is strange!

Dagny
04-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I cashed out for $25 at mypoints and received my email today. I activated the web certificate and immediately went over to disneystore.com to puchase a $25 GC - when I try to check out, it keeps getting rejected, saying that my purchase is being denied by my credit card company????

*** update ****
I re-checked my webcertificate balance and it shows $23??? There are two pending charges from the Disney Store for $1.00??????????? I tried to check out two times, but why would they charge the account a $1.00 instead of the full $25 amount - no wonder I am getting rejected....

Soooo, how long will it take for them to credit teh $1.00 charges back AND how will I ever be able to check out in the future.... :rolleyes:

mad4themouse
04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
This can happen when spending webbies or with any pre-paid credit card. The merchant will put a $1 charge thru to verify that it is a legitimate account. With a normal credit card, this is not a problem. $1 will not make any difference and the $1 charge is taken off your charge a few days later.

However, that $1 dropped your webbie balance down to $24. Then, when you attempted to purchase $25 in Disney Dollars, it got denied for insufficient funds.

If you tried to do this twice, another $1 was charged to your account before the $25 transaction was put thru. This would explain the $23 balance on your card and the 2 $1 charges from the Disney Store. Thsoe 2 $1 charges should be credited back within a few days.

Whenever you go to spend a webbie, you need to make sure that you have at least $1 more than you plan to spend in the account.

Mish19
04-28-2004, 09:57 PM
You can call webcertificates customer service number and have them credit your account AND if you tell them about what happened they will credit your card an extra dollar. I've done it a few times.

jgates
04-28-2004, 11:03 PM
This may have been posted here already, but just an update on Webbies.

You CANNOT use them at WalMart. Since there is no cash access on these cards, webcertificate does not issue a PIN for them. And as of Feb, WM will not accept a signature based MC debit card. Webcertificate indicates that they are trying to get this worked out for them, but in the meantime, you cannot use them at WM. (WM does still take signature based Visa debit cards).

flaps
04-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by jgates
And as of Feb, WM will not accept a signature based MC debit card.

My spouse and I recently were disappointed to discover this change. Could anyone explain why Wal-Mart has discontinued accepting MC debit cards? Thanks.

patsal
04-29-2004, 09:02 AM
WM will only taks MC debit cards for PIN transactions since you pay the fee with that. They do not want to pay the fees for a signature transaction. WM and Visa worked out some kind of deal, but WM was unable to persuade MC to do the same. I refuse to shop there anymore, but not just because of this. Doubt my personal boycott will harm them, but I guess I feel better about not giving them my support by spending my $$ there.

flaps
04-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by patsal
WM will only taks MC debit cards for PIN transactions since you pay the fee with that. They do not want to pay the fees for a signature transaction.

Thanks for the explanation. :) It figures. :rolleyes: