PDA

View Full Version : Just Back! Dining Reviews

msteddom
04-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Cast: me, Dad, Brother, and Brother's Girlfriend

Les Chefs de France: Lunch 4/23

It has become a Disney tradition to eat here, usually the first meal. We have decided after doing both that this place is better for lunch than dinner, but both are wonderful. We had a noon PS and were seated within 5 min. Our table was in the sun porch section at the very end near the window. It was a perfect location for us.

The three kids (we're all in our 20's) ordered the French Menu, while Dad had lobster bisque and the chicken crepe. Needless to say there was a ton of food on the table! It was all wonderful and our server was very good. He seemed to know that we wanted to take our time, and we never felt rushed. I've never had a bad meal here. It's one of my favorites and we do it on every trip! A

P.S.: There was a couple in the booth behind us both wearing lime green shirts. Are you DISers?

Citrico's: Dinner 4/23

Whenever our family goes on vacation dad like to do one nice dinner, so it was up to me to choose, and I chose Citrico's thanks to all of the great reviews here. This was a new experience for all of us.

We checked in for our PS a few minutes late, but it was not a problem. We had to wait a few minutes and we were all struck by the number of small children there who were screaming and running around. I was not expecting that, and I was nervous that it would ruin our meal. Well it turned out not to be a problem. We were seated at a table by the show kitchen. Which at first look was a bit dissapointing, but upon further inspection there were no kids around, so it turned out to be a great table! I love kids, but I don't like to have them screaming and crying when I'm having a nice meal.

We started off with drinks and appetizers. The cocktails were excellent. I tried the passianate cooler, which was orange juice passion fruit juice and cognac, and brother's girl friend had the bellini. The table shared the brazed shrimp and the foie gras ravioli. While both were excellent, the ravioli was the clear winner of the evening. I don't think there was a bit of sauce left when we were done!

For entrees I has the grilled swordfish, brother had the salmon, girlfriend had the chicken, and dad had the seared ahi. We all really enjoyed our meals. My swordfish was very good, but it wasn't outstanding like I was hoping. I had a bit of brother's salmon and it was outstanding. We also ordered a bottle of wine for the table which went well with everything.

For dessert we ordered a bananna torte and a lemon cheesecake and split them. Not only were both of them excellent, but they were different from traditonal resturant desserts which I appreciate.

Our food was excellent and our service was very good, but it did lag a bit around dessert. I think this is a wonderful resturant and I can't wait to return. A-

Fresh: Breakfast 4/24

Brother and his girlfreind had to leave a day early, so it was just me and dad today. We woke up earlier than expected and were planing on doing EMH at MGM, so breakfast at Fresh seemed like a good idea. We arrived at about 7:30 and the place was pretty empty. I guess I didn't realize that all of the hot items were made to order, because that threw me. I can only imagine how backed up it would get if it were crowded. We both ordered pancakes and I also got an omlette. Both were outstanding. I also sampled a few of the pastries and those were also very good. My overall impression is that the food is wonderful, and if you are staying at the Epcot area then it is a no brainer, but it doesn't merit a special trip (We were at POFQ). Also make sure you're not in any kind of hurry. this is a place to relax and enjoy: B+

ESPN Club: Lunch

Dad and I decided on a late lunch here. It was also NFL draft day so we though it would be fun to watch some of it. Little did we know that many people take the NFL draft much more seriosly than we do, because the place was packed! We waited about 40 mins. for a table, which wasn't bad considering. They were also doing some live broadcasting too, which was fun. We got to see Tommy Bowden and Lee Corso. We decided to split a cheese burger, which was huge, so it was perfect. The service was alright, but it was a big day for them, so we didn't mind. We were just happy to take it all in. I really liked the layout of the dining room. Every table had a great view of the big screen. I think this is a great spot to grab a burger and watch a game! B+

Dinner that night was at Houston's, a chain that we absolutly love! It is about a half an hour drive there, so you need a car to get there, but it's totally worth it. If any one would like a description of it I'd be happy to share.

Boatwright's: Breakfast 4/25

We headed up to POR for breafast before heading to the airport. We were seated immediatly and our server was very attentive. I had the bananna stuffed french toast which I loved, and Dad had the Boatwright's Breakfast which consisted of eggs, potatoes and a choice of meat. Both of our meals were great, and it was a perfect finish to our vacation. A-

That about does it for my reviews. We were only at the parks for two days. We didn't have one dissapointing meal! I left fat and happy!

Melissa

laceemouse
04-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the reviews....glad you had such a great trip!

Cinderelly516
04-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the great reviews! I cant wait to try the Bananna stuffed French Toast! Yummm

abitjaded
04-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Would like to hear more about Fresh breakfast. I have a PS for July. What all was on the menu? Nothing is listed except genneral info for breakfast on the Swolphin link. Do you have to stand and wait while they do the hot stuff?

Carla

BCV23
04-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Enjoyed your reviews. What's the stuffed French toast like? We've had the version at Kona many times but have never seen a description of Boatwright's.

Kaycee
04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the reviews. We also love Chefs de France! ::yes::

sotoalf
04-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the entertaining reviews. I'm glad you enjoyed Citricos: it's my favorite restaurant in WDW.

candykisses
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Great reviews. I wish my husband could have been at ESPN with for draft day! What a great place to watch it.

msteddom
04-26-2004, 04:15 PM
abitjaded: Here's more info. on Fresh. There were three "sections" to the freshly prepared items: a grill where they offered traditional pancakes, cocunut pancakes and french toast, maybe waffles I don't remember that. then there was a omlette station, but you could have the eggs prepared other ways too, and a carving station. You did have to wait for your items to be prepared, but since it wasn't very crowded we just left plates on the shelf and looked at other parts of the buffet, and kept an eye out to see when our items were ready. I think that because of this it might take a long time when it is crowded.

There was also a nice selection of pastries, prepackaged cerial, yougurt, oatmeal, and other things that I just can't remember. It was a really good buffet, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think it would be grat for lunch too!

Melissa

*Flower*
04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Tell me more about Houston's!!

I went to the website, and all it will display is locations, careers, and contact.

Where are the menus????

Spill!! :teeth:

msteddom
04-26-2004, 06:12 PM
*Flower*
Okay here's the dish on Houston's! It's my absolute fave! They have a great varied menu. They have awesome burgers, sandwiches, great grilled fish, prime rib, chicken. It's just all so wonderful!

Here are my favorite Houston's dishes:

Starters:

Spinach dip
grilled artichokes (it's a special, not on the menu)

Entrees:

Hickory burger
club sandwich (only avail. on weekends)
grilled salmon
prime rib

desserts:

7 nut brownie (it's to die for)

The menu in the Orlando was a bit different from the one I'm used to in the California locations, but that's to be expected. The food was still fabulous though! If there's a Houston's anywhere near you go there!

Melissa

*Flower*
04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks!!!

It sounds yummy...... and I know that I could find something that would appeal to me-

Joan S.
04-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi Melissa, GREAT REVIEWS! Could you give some prices for Houstons and directions?? Thanks, Joan

msteddom
04-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Joan S: Gosh I'm not sure on directions, but I do know it is in Winter Park. The menu entree prices range from probably $12.99 to $25.99, so it's not cheap, but the food is incredible.

Melissa

Minniespal
04-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Great reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

TwingleMum
04-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Great reviews!!! The banana torte sounds awesome.

vicb
04-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know if Houston's has a children's menu? I looked at their website but they don't list menus. :confused:

msteddom
04-29-2004, 01:02 AM
I don't think they do have a children's menu. I don't recall seeing them. But then I've never eaten there with children. I have seen plenty of little ones there though, so I'm sure they must have some way of accomedating them.

Melissa