PDA

View Full Version : Today's lunch: L'Originale Alfredo of Rome

Luv2Roam
04-24-2004, 07:02 PM
We have never eaten there, due to all the bad reports I have read here. (There are some good -- but they seem few and far between.)
I thought lunch would be good as we have the DDE card. I thought between that discount and lunch prices, I would take a gamble.

As we walked in, we had to give our name. But they were seating guests immediately. And for whatever reason they held our card for last. :confused: So we were wondering from the beginning when others who had just come in (also parties of 2) were seated NOW and we waited.
It wasn't even a 10 minute wait. (Maybe 5.) But this made us wonder what was to come...

The service was fine from there on. We were well taken care of. If not by our server, then another who happened by, We didn't have to ask for anything we wanted, like refills.

We both had ice teas to drink. ($2 each)

No appetizers. We had some good, fresh bread, with olive oil for dipping. The bread is VERY hard on the outside, but still VERY good,. Probably the best bread/olive oil combination I recall. Even DH commented how good it was. The bread was obviously fresh -- just an ultra hard breakable crust.

DH ordered Le Originali Fettuccine Alfredo ($14.95) - homemade egg noodles tossed in a special butter and parmigian cheese.
I had Trittico di Pasta ($18.50) - sampler of lasagna, Fettuccine Alfredo and Gnocchi Pomodoro,

Both were brought out almost immediate. We were both surprised how fast this food could be served. It wsn't like we were being rushed through the meal. The food just arrived PROMPT.

DH commented several times how good the fettuccine was -- the best he ever eaten.
It was cheesy -- but not too cheesy, and light on the sauce, if there was any.
You know how some fettuccine is almost no cheese and swimming in white cream sauce. This was the opposite. The cheese was VERY good in taste and texture. (Makes me hungry just to think of it! :jester: )
The egg noodles tasted homemade. I don't know if they were. But they were tender and cooked just right.

I knew what it was like since I had the trio of pasta. We agreed on the fettuccine.
The lasagna was very good too. Probably right up there with the best I have eaten. Could have stood a little more cheese.
Had a lot of meat -- but the meat was ground very fine.
Nice sauce too. Not sweet. Not bitter. Pretty good.
The Gnocchi Pomodoro was okay. It was good. But I wouldn't have wanted a serving of just that. Of the three pasta dishes I sampled that was my least favorite.

No dessert -- we were too full. But I have to say a dessert sampler they had looked pretty tempting! ;)

A group at the table next to us must have ordered Antipasto All'Italiana -assortment of Italy's finest imported cheeses and sliced meats, including prosciutto, bresaola, mortadella and soppressata (Serves 2-4) as their appetizer. It looked VERY yummy. Anyone into making their own mini sandwiches would like to order that.

WITH the discount the total was $31.91 (not incl tip). Pre discount, tip and tax, our meal was $37.45.

Micca
04-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Your experience mirrors the ones we've had time and time again.
It's our single favorite restaurant at WDW.

Inevitably, someone here on the boards will compare it, unfavorably, to Chef Boyardee:rolleyes1

PatriciaH
04-24-2004, 10:14 PM
We like it here a lot! We had the antipasto platter you mentioned-it was very good. The staff are always so nice too.

Tiziminchac
04-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the review! The last two times I tried this restaurant it didn't meet our expectations. So I haven't been back in years. With all the other restaurants I like in EPCOt, why take a chance? But maybe it's time to try it again.

EmmasGrammy
04-24-2004, 10:37 PM
We love Alfredo's too! Only had 1 bad experience there, but we still visit every trip! I just wanted to tell you that yes the pasta is fresh and home made. In fact some times you can watch the pasta being made through the window near the waiting area. Quite interesting!!

Glad to hear you had a good meal and you weren't scared off by the reviews here on the boards.

cinmell
04-25-2004, 07:04 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed Alfredo's. We have always enjoyed our meals at this restaurant. Alfredo's has a fun atmosphere, tastey food and good service, at least any time we've been there.

dznyntnh
04-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Glad you had a great time at Alfredo's. It's always been one of my favorites.

Luv2Roam
04-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Inevitably, someone here on the boards will compare it, unfavorably, to Chef Boyardee
LOL
I wish! :love: Wouldn't it be great to be able to buy food like that from a can at the grocery store? ;)

Sami
04-25-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm happy you had a good experience at Alfredo's. This is one of our favorite WDW restaurants. We always eat there, sometimes twice in one trip!:thewave:

dzneelvr
04-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Yum!
Thanks for the review. Our family of 4 has one PS for lunch here when we head down in June. Sounds like we may be making another one!!

When you mention how good the cheese was....makes us appreciate the "fakery" that's in some of our every-day Italian dishes. We tend to cover up with less cheese and more sauce, when I'm sure they have the finest in cheese, so less sauce IS needed.

WDW on June 24::yes:: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

McCall
04-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Micca
Your experience mirrors the ones we've had time and time again.
It's our single favorite restaurant at WDW.

Inevitably, someone here on the boards will compare it, unfavorably, to Chef Boyardee:rolleyes1

Me too, relflex our usual pattern there. Always go.
Wondering for the person who started the thread did you say you had booked Priority Seating? if not that is no doubt why others who came in, [who no doubt had PS, went ahead of you]
If you did have it then I have no idea unless the others left and came back or something