PDA

View Full Version : 2 rooms~1 concierge, 1 standard

momtotwinglesx4
04-22-2004, 11:28 AM
We're going to squeeze one last trip out of our PAP's around Thanksgiving and this time dh will be joining us so we'll be a party of 6 + infant, thus requiring 2 rooms, probably either at WL or AKL. I don't want to pay for 2 concierge level rooms, so I'm thinking about getting one standard room and one conc. room. Dh and 2 kids in one room, me and the other 3 kids in the other room, and then we'd take turns having the conc. room so 1/2 of us would have use of the conc. lounge each day. Has anyone done this? Do you think it's doable? And no, I'm not planning on "sneaking" the standard room group in on their non-conc. days, so keep your flames to yourself!
;)

Sue

ducklite
04-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Possibly doable, but I have another option for you.

The WL has Jr. Suites which would sleep all of you, and would probably cost less than the two rooms at the AKL. Not sure if concierge service is available, but it's something to think about.

Anne

momtotwinglesx4
04-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks Anne,

I actually did look into the Jr. Suite (aka deluxe room) at WL, however this type of room is never discounted (I was hoping for AP room-only discounts) and they don't come w/ concierge service, although you can try to add it on at check in IF available. The other thing is, we'd only have one bathroom with the Jr. suite--2 rooms=2 baths=happier mom!
:teeth:

Sue

jel0511
04-22-2004, 12:00 PM
The only potential problem will that the rooms will definately be on different floors, and you and DH will have to sleep separately. If I were in your shoes, I'd MUCH Prefer connecting rooms at any level, then have two different room categories in different areas of the resort.

floridafam
04-22-2004, 12:06 PM
You can always ask if concierge services can be added to the non concierge room at check-in. It's worth asking.

I also would prefer two connecting rooms. I just don't see it working with 1/2 the party not being able to have access to the lounge.

AKL has 1 br suites. Maybe the price would be similar to booking 1 concierge room and 1 non-concierge room.

Also, I have been offered disocunts many times on the junior suites at WL. It does happen. You just have to call often.

Good luck.

ducklite
04-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Another option, try to upgrade to a 1BR suite at check-in. Some of them have two queens and a sleeper sofa. The price at check-in is generally significantly lower than the price booked in advance.

Anne

momtotwinglesx4
04-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by floridafam

Also, I have been offered disocunts many times on the junior suites at WL. It does happen. You just have to call often.

Good luck.

Oh, wow--really? You were offered an AP discount on the Jr. Suite? What time of year and do you remember the rate you were offered? If the price was right, I suppose I could live w/ 1 bathroom!

momtotwinglesx4
04-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ducklite
Another option, try to upgrade to a 1BR suite at check-in. Some of them have two queens and a sleeper sofa. The price at check-in is generally significantly lower than the price booked in advance.

Anne

So what you're saying is, have 2 standard rooms booked at AKL, and then ask at check-in to upgrade to a 1BR suite? Approx. how much is the rate for this at check-in? And does it include concierge service?

TIA,

Sue

floridafam
04-22-2004, 01:54 PM
I believe the time I was offered the discount was October.

I have been offered AAA, AP and general code rates on this particular type of room. Sure, they are probably few and far between but it does happen.

Another thing you could do is try to upgrade your non-concierge room to a concierge room at check-in. If there are none available, then you could always just ask if you could pay an additional amount to have concierge service for the non-concierge room.

I hate leaving things to chance so I could probably not do that.

I would look into the 1 br suite. If you book the 1 br suite, you could always ask about upgrading to a 2br suite at check-in.

Remember, you may not be able to upgrade anything.

Good luck with your decision.

ducklite
04-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by momtotwinglesx4
So what you're saying is, have 2 standard rooms booked at AKL, and then ask at check-in to upgrade to a 1BR suite? Approx. how much is the rate for this at check-in? And does it include concierge service?

TIA,

Sue

I had a concierge room booked at a discounted rate. I was able to upgrade to a 1BR suite for the difference between rack on the room and rack on the suite. It was about $150-200 a night, can't recall exactly. So in your case, it would probably be a "break even" deal. And yes, concierge service is included with the suites.

Anne

jennsuko
04-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Another option would be to rent DVC points and get a 2 bedroom. This would have 2 bedroom, 2 baths, and a kitchen to provide for your food needs.

nasmith
04-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Sue - Also keep in mind the time period you are traveling - I pulled this from Mousesavers for you.....(last year, there were no discounts 11/24 - 11/28....)

"Naturally, Disney only offers discounts on its resorts when it has a significant number of rooms to fill. Therefore the most popular dates and resorts are typically not discounted. For instance:

I have NEVER seen a discount offered for resort check-ins between December 26 and 31. That is the busiest time of year at Disney.
Easter week, Thanksgiving week and other major holiday periods are often (but not always) "blacked out" for the major discounts, meaning the discounts don't apply at that time.
Suites at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World -- including the deluxe rooms at the Wilderness Lodge, which are also called Junior Suites -- are never discounted significantly, in my experience.
However, the very luxurious villas at the Walt Disney World Home-Away-From-Home resorts (i.e. Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Old Key West) are often discounted by as much as 45%."

Deb & Bill
04-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by jennsuko
Another option would be to rent DVC points and get a 2 bedroom. This would have 2 bedroom, 2 baths, and a kitchen to provide for your food needs.

But trying to get a 2 bedroom villa with DVC points this late could be difficult. Members will book them 11 months out. If you hurry you might get someone who can book at 7 months out. But you would have to do it immediately.

kadaten
04-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by jel0511
The only potential problem will that the rooms will definately be on different floors,
Not true!! AKL has both concierge and regular rooms on the 5th floor!! About your dilemma, though, I have no idea!