PDA

View Full Version : Best pool for younger children???

Mississippian
04-22-2004, 12:06 AM
I recently used a postcard rate to book a room at the POFQ. My postcard was for a $59 Pop Century, but they allowed me to have the $74 rate for the POFQ. Essentially I was getting the annual pass rate for any hotel I wanted.

My children are 5 and 4. I chose the Port Orleans because I remember the slide and pool area looked exciting for a youngster, but not too intimidating. I figured the slide alone was worth the extra $15 per night over the Pop Century.

All things being equal, I'd rather pay a bit more and stay at either the Contempory or perhaps the AK Lodge. But I don't remember their pools as being quite as young-kid-friendly.

Am I remembering correctly? Thanks for the help.

budget mom
04-22-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm interested too...any ideas?

Snoopymom
04-22-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm certainly not an expert, but pools are important to us too and here's the two I always see listed as the best for little kids.

Zero entry Volcano pool at Poly

Stormalong Bay at Beach Club

I booked the WL, because I couldn't afford the others, but my 3 yr old is a fish and I'm comfortable with him using water wings. Almost booked POFQ for the slide, but I didn't like the look of the rooms.

There are photos of most of the pools on http://allearsnet.com

Hope this helps.

susy
04-22-2004, 04:38 PM
The AKL would be perfect!!!!! The pool set up is very nice, because they have zero-entry and an awesome slide (long enough, but not too intimidating). Every day they had games for the kids by the pool. The food court is right there, so you can have lunch without leaving the pool area. You can even see animals from that area. AKL has lots of activities for kids-just ask at check-in. I would defintely upgrade! AKL has excellent transporatation. If you don't care about zero-entry, the WL has a great slide, playground on the beach, and you can ride surrey bikes to FW (ten minutes) to the free petting zoo with $3 pony rides. The WL is a GREAT family resort! My DS (6) keeps asking to go back to the WL! If you stay at a deluxe, call and request turndown service (I tip $2). It's so nice to come home to!

Snoopymom
04-22-2004, 04:42 PM
I didn't know AKL had zero entry! oh dear, another resort to rethink, LOL. Thanks for the info.

MNT568
04-22-2004, 05:10 PM
I second AKL! It was great for my DS (5 yo). He loved it! The zero entry was wonderful. It felt very safe to me. We loved Stormalong Bay but it was rather intimidating, the depths kept changing. Once at Stormalong bay my DS slipped out of the inner tube, I went to grab him and I pulled a muscle in my leg, we were in water over my head, I still have a "hole/indent" in my lower leg where I pulled the muscle. The depth at AKL is about 4 and a half feet. I thought it was great that I could always put my feet down. I was always with my DS in the pool but if I was not so close I could always see him. The slide was really cool. He had a blast on that. I liked the fact that I could stay in the pool and still be able to watch him go up the steps to the top of the slide. My vote is for AKL. That being said my DS has told me he wants to swim in the Dragon Pool (POFQ) and the clown pool (BWI).