PDA

View Full Version : AKL Concierge Level question

Scrufsmom
04-21-2004, 06:55 PM
My family and I are going to bel staying at the AKL on the concierge level. Today I phoned the hotel to speak to one of the CM in hopes of makinig prior ressies before our trip. Countdown July 25th, 2004....AM I THERE YET?!!!! Anyhoot, my question for those who have stayed which is better the 6th floor or the 5th for the Savannah views? According to the CM she said it was better if we stayed on the 5th floor. When asked the difference she couldn't give me a good reason. So here I am asking my fellow wdwers this question.

If you have stayed what is your impression of the hotel, rooms, concierge level and pool? I spoke to one of my coworkers who didn't have a nice thing to say about the hotel, but I took it for who the source was.

Thanks for those who respond cause it is greatly appreciated.
Scrufsmom

SB in KY
04-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Wow...you are going to have a terrific time...if you don't LOVE the AKL concierge service....you have really issues!!! It is the best!!

The 5th floor rooms have better savannah views because most/all of the 6th floor savannah views have those roof dormer things hanging down that partially obstruct the balcony view. That said we still prefer the 6th floor rooms, because we really like the proximity to the lounge area and we think of the dormer as an inconvienence. But I have seen posts here from people that absolutely hated them. You still have a nice view, but only from 1/2 to 2/3 of the balcony. If you don't mind running upstairs to the lounge then you'd probably like 5th floor better. Just individual prefernece. The rooms are identical.

The service and foos there are unbeatable. You will love it.

dansyr
04-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi
We stayed concierge last Sept. and it was wonderful. I was also told the 5th floor rooms are better and that is what we got ....room 5431 if I remember correctly. I believe the reason was 6th floor room views are blocked by rooftops...don't quote me though. The concierge lounge is on the 6th floor but your room key will allow access to the 6th floor. Our room was a perfect location ...close to the lobby and close to an elevator that would take you down to the pool. I would suggest requesting a room with a view of arusha savannah. This is the only savannah with both zebra and giraffe.
Although some say the rooms are dark...I didn't think so. The resort itself is so soothing. I believe the concierge rooms are slightly larger than regular savannah view rooms.
The concierge lounge itself was sooooo nice. I fell in love with that cappuccino machine. There are food offerings out throughout the day. At most times there are some hot food offerings out. We usually grabbed a quick breakfast in the lounge....we are light breakfast eaters. They also have wine and cordials in the evenings. I believe if you go to Deb Will's site...they give you the schedule of the food offerings.
The pool was wonderful...we usually didn't hit it til the evenings though. A late nite swim was perfect. They also have a couple of hot tubs....which we definitely made use of after a long day at the parks. I have to admit....I had a harder time than ever trying to get dbf out of the hotel room though. The whole ambience of the resort is so relaxing, you just don't want to leave.
If you have any special occasions let concierge know. Our itinerary planner went above and beyond the call of duty arranging some surprises for my dbf's birthday.
Don't forget to book your sunrise safari also. Only concierge are allowed to book this and it was unbelievable.
Also...let concierge make your ps's. Any requests we had noted to concierge were met at the restaurant. For ex. we had noted we would like a window table at ohanas ...and we had one.
good luck planning

johnsonet
04-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi! First of all, I'm hoping to be at AKL (also on the concierge level) around that same time!!:sunny:

How many are in your party? Does proximity to the concierge lounge play an important role?

Here is my recommendation assuming everyone in your group is relatively able-bodied:

Request#1: Savanna view
Request#2 Zebra Trail

If you have 2 or more children, request bunk beds as request #3.

When we stayed concierge, we were on the 5th floor, Kudu Trail. It was fabulous but being on Kudu Trail we were a long way from the pool and main elevators and restaurants (hence, my Zebra Trail suggestion)

You will LOVE AKL. I have stayed there twice and fantasize every day about going back. Trying to get back the end of July...
The pool is gorgeous, the restaurants are great, the rooms are beautiful, the animals are stupendous, the Lobby is fantastical, the activities are terrific!! I could go on and on. Anyone who doesn't like AKL is a stick in the mud!! (well, anyone who experiences the AKL I know and love...) And their concierge is considered by many to be the best on property! You will LOVE it there! Good luck!princess:

P.S. I hope you're going to sign up for the Sunrise and/or Sunset safari(s)!!

#1hockeymom
04-21-2004, 08:42 PM
AKL concierge is awesome! You will have a wonderful time that you won't soon forget! There is not much I can add that others haven't mentioned. Have a great time planning, and get ready for the time of your life! I've only been home for two days and I miss the AKL concierge so much!

Debbie

nasmith
04-21-2004, 10:32 PM
We were on the 6th floor at Christmas - and it was a poor view of the savannah - only a smidgeon of the savannah was visible - and it was really high up at that ----so if you want to see animals from your balcony - definitely request 5th floor. Note - there aren't very many 6th floor rooms available either - only fifteen total, compared to a much greater number on the 5th floor. All 6th floor rooms are around the lobby - there aren't any "trails" on the 6th floor - hence the poor views and limited number of rooms....Jill

ducklite
04-22-2004, 08:23 AM
The 6th floor rooms are smoking optional!

I agree, the 5th floor rooms offer much better views.

Anne

Nuts4DVC
04-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Hi,

We will be staying at the concierge level next April. Does the Sunrise Safari cost anything or do they throw that in?

Thanks,

Robin

ducklite
04-22-2004, 09:02 AM
It's an extra $50 per person. It's only available to concierge guests. Make the reservations as soon as you can, there is limited space.

Anne

momtotwinglesx4
04-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Is the Sunrise Safari available/appropriate for children/toddlers? If so, is the cost the same?

We'll be staying AKL conc. for 3 nites of our July/Aug. trip (those darn AP's acting up again, lol) and I'll be there alone--dh has to work-- w/ my 5 kids (ages 16, 7, 7, 4, & 1) and wondered we should give this a try.

ducklite
04-22-2004, 10:26 AM
You need to know your children.

The first time we took the Sunrise Safari, it was ruined by a few screaming out of control toddlers. They were behind us, and their flailing arms hit us in the head repeatedly. They were crying and carrying on so we couldn't hear the guide. It was horrible.

The next time we took it, there were a couple toddlers. Luckily the parents were considerate enough to sit in the rear of the safari vehicle. We also saw them feeding the kids before we left. Even with that, they were getting fidgety before the safari was over. If it had lasted another five minutes one of those kids would have been in meltdown mode.

Keep in mind it's early in the morning. Many younger kids wake up either ready to RUN or cranky. Breakfast is more than an hour and a half after the time you meet for the safari at the AKL.

If you are toilet training, once you begin the tour, that's it. There's no stopping. You are in first a bus, then the safari vehicle. No place to move, you must stay in your seat.

So you need to think about if your child can handle it or not.

Personally I think the AKL should offer child care during the Sunrise Safari so that parents with younger kids who aren't developmentally ready for it can still take part.

Anne

momtotwinglesx4
04-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ducklite

Personally I think the AKL should offer child care during the Sunrise Safari so that parents with younger kids who aren't developmentally ready for it can still take part.

Anne

That's just it! I KNOW my 7 yr. old twins would absolutely love it (I'm sure the 16 yr. old would just as soon stay in bed :rolleyes: ) but it's my youngest two (4 &1) that I'm concerned about.

If there are lots of animals to see, they would PROBABLY be just fine, but at that age, you just never know. I'd hate to waste the money and spoil the safari for others (and myself!) if one of them was in a crabby mood.

So I take it the child care club at AKL isn't open yet at that hour?

WDWLinda
04-22-2004, 11:14 AM
We did the Sunrise Safari with friends and our two 2.5 yr olds. They both did fine, but they did lose interest about 3/4 of the way through. Then they just laid on the seat and played quietly. I'd say go for it, but sit in the back and bring some toys or food to keep them occupied if they get fidgety. I think the Safari is only offered on Tues. and Sat.s, so call early to book it.

I have to say we didn't have the same great experience everyone else did with the concierge part. Our room was on the 5th flr, FAR away from the main elevators and the lounge. I didn't see the concierge staff go out of their way to help us out with anything. The food was OK - we always seemed to hit it at off times when the food selection was limited or the plates were almost empty. We didn't even see many animals from our room.

You should stay there just to see it, but if we ever try concierge level again, we're going to try the Poly. I hope you have a better time.

~Linda

ducklite
04-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by momtotwinglesx4
That's just it! I KNOW my 7 yr. old twins would absolutely love it (I'm sure the 16 yr. old would just as soon stay in bed :rolleyes: ) but it's my youngest two (4 &1) that I'm concerned about.

If there are lots of animals to see, they would PROBABLY be just fine, but at that age, you just never know. I'd hate to waste the money and spoil the safari for others (and myself!) if one of them was in a crabby mood.

So I take it the child care club at AKL isn't open yet at that hour?

No, but I'm pretty sure you could get Kid's Night Out to come to your room. Might be an idea, it would give you the opportunity to ride a couple of the thrill rides after the Safari and breakfast as well :)

Anne

wannabee princess
04-22-2004, 11:34 AM
We really have only positive things to say about AKL concierge. We stayed in December '03 and had a wonderful time. The view from our room (5th floor Arusha) was just wonderful.

As mentioned the 6th floor is for those who wish to have smoking optional. If you don't want smoking, I don't see the neccessity of being on the 6th (unless there would be someone in your party who isn't able to get around easily?). Even though we had to take the elevator to the lounge, this was never a problem for us. In fact, I enjoyed the walk overlooking the lobby - Christmas decorations were so nice to start the morning or end the day with!

I think that concierge cast members were very helpful. I went over to request PS's for that day more than once, and was never disappointed with the table we would get. For our first day I had made prior arrangements to have Santa Mickey hats waiting when we checked in, and they not only left the gifts, there was also a card signed by Mickey himself.

The Sunrise Safari was AWESOME!! We have raved about this experience to everyone who dares ask about Disney! We thought Joe was an amazingly informative guide. It was a wonderful breakfast at Tusker house also!

The guides working at the AKL savannah viewing areas were especially informative and helpful....just ask them questions!! They don't "bother" you if you are just wanting to observe, but they all enjoyed answering questions about the animals as well as themselves (where they were from and questions about the country they were from).

The pool area is very relaxing for those who wish to do that, while offering zero entry and a slide for the younger set. While we were there, we had no problems getting a poolside spot to sit, the pool was never crowded, and it was near to Mara so we could refill our mugs easily.

I also felt the food was good at both Mara and Boma (didn't do Jiko this time...maybe dh and I can on our return in Dec '04?!!), and the food offerings at the concierge lounge were of good variety and plentiful. I too was addicted to the cappucino machine every day! Oh, the fruit juice was yummy too! Oh, and the African wines were very good!

Scrufsmom
04-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Thank you so much for all of your thoughts with wild excitement expressions in your descriptions of the AKL concierge level. Ok, so can you say I really can't wait to go! I called my CM at the AKL concierge level to request our room and savannah location. Although, do you still get the turndown service and robes being on the 5th floor? DH has to have a robe....don't know if it is a guy thing or what? lol

What is so exciting is that every year we plan something different for our disney trip. My dd is 9yo and we told her of our plans....first it was to be a surprise, but DH couldn't keep it a secret, second she usually makes up the itinerary for our week. It is a family vacation and this way she thinks she planned the whole trip. It is lots of fun.

I truly do appreciate everyones insight. My clock is ticking! tick, tick tick tick.............................................. ...no not July yet!

nasmith
04-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Anne & Wannabee Princess -
My room on the 6th floor was definitely non-smoking (not smoking-optional) ---I had just finished Chemo - and there is no way in Hades that I would be in a smoking-optional room (VERY sensitive to any smoking odors!) . (It was also a handicap-accessible room, which I hadn't requested ). The only time I smelled smoke was one evening on the balcony - and that was coming from someone on the 5th floor smoking a cigar (it wafted up) .
I think that Disney has redefined many of their smoking /non-smoking rooms --- I was at POFQ 2 weeks ago in bldg. 4 in a non-smoking room - and that building used to be smoking-optional too.
Jill

BambiTamby
04-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by nasmith
Anne & Wannabee Princess -
My room on the 6th floor was definitely non-smoking (not smoking-optional) ---I had just finished Chemo - and there is no way in Hades that I would be in a smoking-optional room (VERY sensitive to any smoking odors!) . (It was also a handicap-accessible room, which I hadn't requested ). The only time I smelled smoke was one evening on the balcony - and that was coming from someone on the 5th floor smoking a cigar (it wafted up) .
I think that Disney has redefined many of their smoking /non-smoking rooms --- I was at POFQ 2 weeks ago in bldg. 4 in a non-smoking room - and that building used to be smoking-optional too.
Jill

I concur with nasmith!
We were on the 6th floor last month, savannah view and it was a non-smoking room.
I think the other side, the poolview is smoking optional.

I've done the 5th, near the Kudo suite, three times, very nice view!
And this last time, the 6th floor.
VERY nice to walk a little bit to get a treat from CL and our view of the Sunset savannah was a nice change.

And I agree that KNO is a wonderful option for those little ones,
in lieu of taking them on the sunrise safari.

JMHO......:wave:

bjakmom
04-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Do you need to use a park ticket on the day of the Sunrise Safari? I'm thinking it might be nice to do on check-out day - but we wouldn't be staying in the park after breakfast - just heading back to the hotel and then the airport - would we have to both pay for the safari and use a day off our hoppers?

WDWLinda
04-22-2004, 11:32 PM
You do need a park ticket for the Sunrise Safari.

wannabee princess
04-22-2004, 11:47 PM
You do get turn-down and robes on the 5th floor concierge. At turndown they leave little chocolates and a card.

Whoops about the smoking optional. That is just what I had been told - we never needed it ourselves.

bjakmom
04-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks, WDWLinda - guess that plan won't work! We'll have to try the safari on a day when we plan on staying in AK or hopping to another park!

Scrufsmom
04-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by wannabee princess
You do get turn-down and robes on the 5th floor concierge. At turndown they leave little chocolates and a card.

Great! My dd will be so surprised when she sees the chocolates and card.

CoolDisneyCat
04-23-2004, 09:02 PM
We did AKL concierge 3 weeks ago and had a great time!

Our room was on the 5th floor and I agree these are the best view. We were on the zebra trail. The couple on the sunset safari with us had been moved to the 6th floor (their request) and said the roofs did get in the way of the view. As we were touring the savannah, I saw where there room was and I see why.

The cards the turndown service leaves are really nice. They have neat drawings of animals and an African proverb on them. On the back is African artwork. I have been using my zebra one as a bookmark.

Have fun!:wave:

jacksmom
04-23-2004, 10:22 PM
We are going to AKL CL in Sept! I was wondering if anyone could post times and food offerings? Trying to plan for PS's!:bounce:

BambiTamby
04-23-2004, 11:04 PM
sure, Jacksmom!

6:30 am-MACHEO-Sunrise Offerings
Coffee and assorted juices

7:00- 10:30 am-MIAMKO-Adventurous Awakenings
Start your adventure with an assortment of fresh fruits, juices, pastries, and cereals.

(Hot oatmeal with brown sugar and their COFFEES/lattes are wonderful!)

11:30 am-3:00 pm-VITAFUNIO-Safari Snacks
Take a mid-day break and enjoy a selection of African snacks and beverages.

(They have wonderful dried fruits, smoothies, as well as sodas, lemonade, teas)

3:00-4:30 pm- CHAI-Afternoon Tea
Sit back and relax with imported loose leaf teas, assorted freshly baked scones, cookies, and buscuits. A daily must in Africa!

(VERY good cookies and scones!)

5:00- 7:00pm-KISIKUSIKU- Twilight Offerings
After an exciting safari, take pleasure in an array of wines, hors d'oeurves, and savor African specialty appetizers from our resort restaurants, Jiko and Boma.

(Don't miss the head chef's cooking an entree, usually on Thursday evenings!)

8:00-10:00 pm-REHEMA-Evening Indulgences
Revisit your day's activities or plan tomorrow while treating yourself to a sampling of fine desserts and a variety of premium cordials.

(here's when those famous Zebra Domes, Chocolate Mouse, fruit tarts, etc come !)

Hope this helps!

They ARE WONDERFUL at AKL CL!!!!!

Have fun!:wave:

my3kids
04-24-2004, 07:04 AM
Is the alcohol complementary in the lounge? Also, I requested 6th floor near the lounge, but now I'm thinking that was a mistake. What makes that view so much worse? If the roof line is different, does it affect the view enough that it isn't satisfactory? Oh, and will housekeeping provide a coffee pot for the room? Coffee at 6:30 am is too late for this early riser!:sunny:

CoolDisneyCat
04-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Yes, I am almost positive the alchohol is complementary. The wines are on the counter near the food, so there is no place to pay. I saw a man request a beer and I didn't see him pay.

There are coffee pots and fridges in the rooms at no charge.

One of the problems with the 6th floor views is that you are looking out on the smallest, narrow savannah. Then parts of the thatched roof are beside your balcony. I wish I had a photo to describe it. You just don't have as wide of a view. Also, it didn't look like you were as close to the savannah. On the 5th, the animals can be right beneath you.

You are much closer to the lounge on the 6th floor, no question. It can easily be a hike from a 5th floor room. It is hard to judge which is more important. We usually went to the lounge on our way in or out. I don't think we ever left the room, went to the lounge, and then back to the room.

Hope this helps!:wave2:

#1hockeymom
04-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Wine is complimentary during appetizers from 5-7 and you can request beer which they will get for you. *this is also the way you get diet coke when its off hours! :)* From 8-10 there are liquers and cordials available, along with desserts. Try the amarula! It is better than Bailey's!

To everyone that is going to AKL, have a WILD time and a wonderful trip!

Debbie

Tedmom
04-24-2004, 11:04 AM
[i]
To everyone that is going to AKL, have a WILD time and a wonderful trip!

Debbie [/B]

Thanks, Debbie and all the concierge lizards for the helpful advice. We're leaving 4/28 for AKL CL and are counting down the minutes!

#1hockeymom
04-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I keep looking at Poly concierge, but I have no idea how it can top my experiences at AKL! One word of advice: If you are ever unhappy about anything, or are missing something out of your room, please tell concierge and they will make it right in a matter of minutes! They made our last trip truly memorable and magical!

Happy planning!
Debbie