PDA

View Full Version : Can you assist? Need direction here.

Bigbaby
04-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Ok Im in the process of planning a trip for my wife and 3 yr old boy. Im driving down from NYC, that I know already.

We want to go on a Disney Cruise so the date would be 7/25 to 7/29. ( I am pricing this now) I would drive down a day before and get a room for one night. But after the cruise we want to stay another week.

The cruise starts on a Sun. and ends on a Thurs. This is where Im lost. I would need a room/villa/etc for us for the remainder of our stay. I would need a room the Thurs. I get off the ship, and I figure Ill stay to Thurs. the following week. Which I guess is 7 nights. What would you recommend I look into? Yeah Im on a budget so to speak and simply want to have a GREAT experience with my son (his first time).

So from a budget to moderate what do you think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS Ive been here many times, and stayed with family in Tampa, but this time we prefer to go this route and stay in Kissimmee/Disney area.

Kimberle
04-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi, Welcome to the Dis! I'm just a short metro north train ride away from you!

There are so many Disney resorts, they come in a few basic "flavors", Deluxe (most ammenities, closest to parks, and most expensive), Moderates, and Values. Plus, there are the Cabins at Fort Wilderness.

I'd say first decide on a price range, for July, discount codes haven't come out yet. Just my opinion, but I think they'll come out in early to mid May. You can go ahead and book a room at a AAA or rack rate then apply the discount when it comes out. Keep an eye on Mousesavers.com and these brds. You'll see lots of excited people/posts when they are released.

Next, decide on what sort of theming your family likes. We have a small child and rely on Disney transporation, so we like to stay in the MK area. Our fav's are Wilderness Lodge and CR. (For the deluxes, WL and AKL are the least expensive.) I can't comment on the mod's or values, since I've not stayed there.

Also, the Swan & Dolphin have special rates for teachers, nurses, and gov't employees.

Good luck in your search! You'll get lots of good ideas from these brds!

Bigbaby
04-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Thank you. Yep I guess I need to narrow down the cruise, so I can see the cost total for that. I never really thought about a theme... But as I mentioned I want my son to have a ball. He likes Toy Story, House of mouse, etc. I thought about a room with a kitchen as it would be cheaper for us. I will have my car and dont mind driving a bit If I have to. Well I will keep looking around and reading. Thanks again.

Kimberle
04-21-2004, 11:43 AM
All Star Movies has a Toy Story section!! I've seen pictures of the rooms. Imagine his face waking up every am in your "Toy Story" room! If I can remember where I saw the pictures, I'll post the link.

The cabins at Fort Wilderness have full kitchens. I'm pretty sure you can park your car at your own cabin. If you check over on the camping brd, they talk about the cabins quite a bit.

Kimberle
04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_asm.htm

Ahh haa!! finally remembered!

This is the link with the pictures. I started on the All Star Movies. There are pictures of all the resorts, just follow the links on the side.

CharlesandCamilla
04-22-2004, 05:33 PM
For the first time it really does depend on your budget. The moderates are pretty far removed from MK but offer a good room for the price. They're closer to downtown disney, mgm, and epcot. Don't even ask about the kitchen. With only two or three of you it would be cheaper to eat lobster every meal while staying at a moderate. You might be able to get a good deal on the poly or contemp but don't count on it in July. These are right next to MK and everyone with little ones kills to get in. The Swan and Dolphin are okay (boat to mgm and epcot but bus to MK) but the pool doesn't appeal to the kids. We're staying at the Caribbean Beach in july. It has a nice pool and the price is right. We bus to all the parks. You should book asap. And if you plan on eating at a nice restaurant or character meal in July you need to be on the phone 90 days out making a priority seating or chance outrageous waits. If you have the dough look into the gold plan.

goodferry
04-22-2004, 07:30 PM
I would look into the cabins, depending on your budget, of course. There is a kitchen and a grill and you take a boat to the MK, the only downside is that it is a little spread out and it helps if you have a car (which you will, I guess, since you are driving!) We are staying at the Poly this time because we have four munchkins and it is just easier to have the monorail to jump on to get home.
We stayed once at the CBR, it is very spread out but fun. Our kids loved the pool!
Good Luck!