PDA

View Full Version : Help! BWI or YC/BC?

laossey
04-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Help! We are booked for 7 nights (7/4 deal) in September to stay at BWI Concierge Deluxe and now I am having second thoughts about whether we should stay at YC/BC with SAB instead! We are a family of 5, myself, DH, DS (9), twin DD's (4). It's the kids first time to DisneyWorld and we want to do it right with location etc! Which is the better choice for us? Is the pool nice and big at BWI (with clown slide) or would the kids like SAB better? If you had to choose, which of these 3 resorts (BWI, YC, BC) would you choose and why?

Thanks!
Laura

madalex
04-20-2004, 11:45 AM
YC is our favorite resort for two reasons: (1) the location (being near Boardwalk and walking distance to Epcot and MGM); and (2) SAB (it is an awesome pool and my kids love it).

BWI is in essentially the same location, so there is no advantage/disadvantage to YC/BC from that respect. Although I have never stayed there, I have heard the BWI pool is very nice. Not quite as big and intricate as SAB, but that is both a good and a bad thing (see the recent thread about keeping an eye on youger children around SAB). The great thing about SAB is that even after 10 trips to YC, I keep finding parts of the pool I never knew existed (absolutely true - during our most recent trip in Feb 2004, my daughter found a little whirlpool area over on the BC side of the pool which I never knew was there before).

Since it is your kids first trip, I am sure they will love whatever you choose. However, if you think that swimming and pool time is going to be a big part of your trip, then you might want to choose YC or BC.

TLinden16
04-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the DIS, Laura!:wave:

I stayed at the Beach Club and the Boardwalk last year. Both of them have their pros and cons. I preferred the Beach Club over the Boardwalk--I found the Boardwalk to be a bit too stuffy for my liking. The staff at the Beach Club was a log more pleasant and helpful than the staff at the Boardwalk--one of the bellmen at the Beach Club even called me by name throughout my stay.

SAB is awesome. I only made it in there once during my stay, but I wished I could have swam there more. I really enjoyed the lazy river section of the pool, and the sandy bottom of the pool is nice.

I never made it in the pool at the Boardwalk. It was too cold during my stay.

The one thing that I felt is better at the Boardwalk is the dining options. There isn't really a quick and easy place to grab a bite to eat at the Beach Club. There are a lot more options at the Boardwalk.

Karen

jel0511
04-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I've swam at both resorts (DVC member) and have visited BW many times (our first stay is in July), based on the ages of your children, I'd pick the BW hands down. The slide and pool there is a MUCH better choice for your children. The slide at SAB is definately geared fro older children, and your 4YO's probably won't be able to use it. Children aren't allowed to wear any type of floatation devices to use the slide, and must be able to swim away from the bottom of the slide unaided. Parents can't wait, and the depth of the pool at the exit of the slide is 4 1/2 ft. I know with my kids, if one kid can do it, but the other can't, it is a cause for disruption. Also, since SAB is SO SPREAD OUT, it's very difficult to explore the entire thing or allow children to explore it, since they easily can get out of your sight. Now, at BW, flotation devices are allowed on the slide, and a parent can wait at the bottom of the slide to help a small child get to the stairs. I also prefer the pool area at BW to that at BC. SAB can get EXTREMELY crowed MUCH more so than Luna Park. I believe a lot of that has to do with the layout of SAB. It is a meandering place, so there isn't much space to find lounge chairs. Whereas, Luna Park is a more traditional pool area, with many loungers, most with direct view of the pool.

Cinderella37
04-20-2004, 04:30 PM
You will love the BWI, especially the Deluxe Concierge. That is the room we stay in: the room is lovely and the staff is amazing! The resort is beautiful and the service is top notch. After deciding it was time to leave the GF, I did a ton of research on the BC, YC, and BWI. Hands down, I chose the BWI and our trip in December was amazing.

All three resorts share the same wonderful itinerary planners and are in the same location, but BWI fit our taste much better than the others two resorts. I would stick with your current reservation - you won't be sorry! Have a wonderful time!!

Skywalker
04-20-2004, 06:09 PM
"The slide at SAB is definately geared fro older children, and your 4YO's probably won't be able to use it. Children aren't allowed to wear any type of floatation devices to use the slide, and must be able to swim away from the bottom of the slide unaided. Parents can't wait, and the depth of the pool at the exit of the slide is 4 1/2 ft. I know with my kids, if one kid can do it, but the other can't, it is a cause for disruption."

---------------------

This is very true, but there is also another pool area (near the "beach", behind the pirate ship, where the stairs are to go up to the big slide) with a lower water depth and a water slide that's scaled down for the younger set. My three year old was very happy there while my five year old was able to use the big slide.

Dizz42
04-20-2004, 06:21 PM
My mom used to always say, "First choice is the best choice." What jel0511 says is very true. Having been to both resorts and they BOTH are fabulous, I'd stick with BWI...this trip. Next trip, and I'm sure there will be a next trip ;) try BC or YC. Just MHO.

laossey
04-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Thank you all for your responses... we are not going to WDW for the pool but we do want to have a great pool when we aren't at the parks. It's a tough decision and I bet they really are all nice but I think Dizz42 summed it up with "first choice is the best choice". We can't wait to go! Thanks again!

littlestar
04-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Go to the site listed below and check out the slideshows of the two resort's pools (stormalong bay - YC/BC and Luna park at BWI).

www.tagrel.com

Enjoy!

budget mom
04-21-2004, 08:10 AM
littlestar, thanks for the slide show. How many slides are there at SAB and what ages are they each geared for? Thanks in advance.

budget mom
04-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Any other ideas why one is better?