PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else a germ freak???

meganbear
04-20-2004, 10:53 AM
I always hate to stay in hotels, just because I'm always so freaked out about germs. I hate to even touch the bedspread (does anyone even know how often they get washed???). Now, I'm not so freaky around my house--after all they are 'my' germs, but just something about strangers germs worry me! :eek:

Anyone else like me---or am I just crazy??? :crazy:

Also, IF there are others like me, what do you do to make the room 'feel' cleaner?

dawgfan
04-20-2004, 11:08 AM
I get a little freaked by the bedspread. I pull it off the bed and don't want to touch it's upper side. I will not stay in any place that seems to be unclean. I always chose a hotel that I am sure will be clean...large well know name brands .

safetymom
04-20-2004, 11:13 AM
I travel a lot for business so I have pretty much gotten over the germ thing.

You do what you can to be careful but other than that much more you can do. You can wipe down surfaces with Lysol, etc.

I am more concerned about getting to the hotel, with airline security, lost bags, safe neighborhood, etc. If the room is not clean I complain to the front desk. I do pick nice hotels while on the rod.

I have never got sick from a trip to a motel room.

edcrbnsoul
04-20-2004, 11:19 AM
I agree about the bed spread the first thing that goes when I enter the room, other than that mousekeeping seems to do a good job, and you can always bring your own Lysol or Clorox disinfecting spray.

professorandmom
04-20-2004, 11:24 AM
What ever you do, don't read the bed bugs thread or you will, well, let's not speculate!

Two great suggestions from these boards - ask for an extra top sheet (for each bed) and add it above the blanket - ends those hebbie jeebies for me

Also, bring an extra ziploc and slip the remote inside - again, quick and easy!

Last, close your eyes when using the bathroom so you won't look in those nooks and crannies...

Now if you have kids, they will touch whatever you say not to and then rub it somewhere else...adds to the excitement!

Relax and enjoy!

(Have to add that I have never seen more bleach and toothbrush cleaning as was done by my room steward on the Disney Wonder - actually avoided all heebie jeebies!)

Barb

grimgrinnin
04-20-2004, 11:55 AM
On my Disney Cruise, I took a can of Lysol and 4 bottles of Purel hand sanitizer.

Label me if you must. :earsboy:

grimpirate:

tnkrbell
04-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Oh YES ?I am a huge Germ phobe!!! I always bring lysol with me. And after my last hotel stay in Tampa I will never leave a bedspread on my bed again!! (Dont read my thread "why I will never complain about a Disney hotel again" you will really get freaked out!!)

dawgfan
04-20-2004, 01:49 PM
yes tnkrbell, I doubt we would find dead bodies in halls at Disney but one never knows. What a nightmare you had. That was shocking.

DisneyGirl83
04-20-2004, 01:56 PM
I think you'll be okay as long as you bring a can of lysol...I just spray everything down with it (Dbf thinks I'm nuts, but it makes me feel better) and try to avoid laying, sitting on or touching the bedspread...If you really want you could call mousekeeping and ask for a freshly cleaned bedspread...

Kim&Chris
04-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Wow, I think you & I are twins separated at birth! I am a complete nervous wreck about germs in hotels & other people's homes.

We rarely go anywhere but Disney, so I feel pretty comfortable that the rooms are OK, but only after I've sprayed the beds & pillows down with Lysol fabric spray (kills germs and leaves the sheets & pillows smelling fresh and clean - - no heavy odors). I've also been known to take Soft Scrub and give the bathtub & sink a quick cleaning. My husband just laughs.

Even more insane: I re-wash all of our un-worn clothes after a trip.

Last month we stayed at OKW and it was basically pretty clean, except that the ceiling vent above the closet had about three years worth of cob webs entangled in it :eek: , so I took the broom from the closet, cleaned the vent, and put the broom outside the room for the entire week. That was really my only gripe.

And I never, NEVER lie on the bedspreads.

melanie18
04-20-2004, 03:17 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one here! :crazy:

We carry the small bottles of Purell in our backpack when going to the parks (we were just there in Jan04 and I was terrified of DD3 getting the flu - not that the Purell would stop it, but it made me feel better). Even more ridiculous, I bring those pop-up Clorox wipes to clean the remote, wipe down the toilet, counters, door knobs, etc. at the hotel.

It's amazing I find time to visit the parks I'm so crazed cleaning the room!

SamanthaL
04-20-2004, 03:20 PM
You can buy the Lysol wipes too. I use them on the toilet.

dj2
04-20-2004, 03:32 PM
it's my understanding that blankets and bedspreads do not get washed very frequently. i'm a big freak about this, too. i pull them off the beds and leave them in a corner and tell houskeeping not to bother to make the beds while we're there. if we're driving, we pack a bag with a few blankets so i can snuggle in peace.

lately, however, at more accomodating places like disney, i'll request that ALL the bed clothes be freshly laundered before we arrive. i do have a cat allergy, so i simply mention my allergy and ask that all the linens be newly washed. (i really am so allergic that if the previous guests owned a cat, the residue from their clothes would set me off even though the cat itself had not been there!)

i believe that if there's a reason to, if asked they'll also do a "VIP" clean of a room prior to guest arrival. one person at special reservations (for reserving rooms for people w/special needs) once told me that they once had to clean a whole room with nothing but vinegar and water for a guest with allergies to many cleaning products.

gotta love disney! can't see most hotels being willing to do that.

Cinderella37
04-20-2004, 04:31 PM
I never used to be as bad as I am now - I think it's all the threads I read here. I do beleive that in this case, ignorance is bliss! I've always been very particular regarding the cleanliness of the room (it's why we stopped staying at the GF and moved to the BWI), but know I'm freaking out about everything from bedbugs to dirty bedspeads.

kuklamoo
04-20-2004, 07:09 PM
And I thought I was the only one who carried Lysol with me! I told my DH that we will have a hefty anti-germ bag to take with us when we go to the Swan. My one saving hope is that since it is newly renovated, it can't be that bad, right?

I never thought about the plastic bag on the remote, CLEVER!

Does anyone fear having their bare-feet touch the floor or am I over the top?

Has anyone noticed a difference in cleanliness on concierge floors?

kuklamoo
04-20-2004, 07:09 PM
And I thought I was the only one who carried Lysol with me! I told my DH that we will have a hefty anti-germ bag to take with us when we go to the Swan. My one saving hope is that since it is newly renovated, it can't be that bad, right?

I never thought about the plastic bag on the remote, CLEVER!

Does anyone fear having their bare-feet touch the floor or am I over the top?

Has anyone noticed a difference in cleanliness on concierge floors?

lucysdad
04-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Oh, how I suffer. It's bad enough that I am a germ freak, but compounding that, my husband isn't. We are really on opposite poles. So, I decided to get the professional opinion and ask my doctors. My rheumatologist said if there were an M&M on the floor, he'd be the first one to dive for it. My husband offered to put him in his will! Then my internist said that the rheumatologist was wrong.....way wrong! She believes that I need to engage in vigorous protection and she herself carries around hand wipes. What to do, what to do? :confused:
Lucy's Mom

meganbear
04-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Well now I see there are others just like me! I have every intention of bringing a can of lysol as well.

Does anyone fear having their bare-feet touch the floor or am I over the top? Yep, I can't stand that either! I always try to wear shoes in the room (or flip flops).

goin2disneyagain
04-20-2004, 08:41 PM
I am very germaphobic. I use my antibacterial hand cleaner religiously. I have been made fun of a few times but I really don't care. I will not read those bed bug threads because I know I would get freaked out. I will not touch the bedspread. I don't even like to talk about what nasty germs could possibly be lurking. Yuck!!! :eek:

Cinderella37
04-20-2004, 09:24 PM
At the BWI, the concierge floor is spotless. I have never stayed in a regular room at the resort, but I've stayed in both at the GF. The Royal Palm Club (concierge) was way cleaner than the lagoon view room. I've heard that the best housekeepers work on the concierge floors at all hotels, not only in WDW. Our housekeeper at the BWI went above and beyond - the room was perfect.

GailT
04-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by melanie18
It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one here! :crazy:

We carry the small bottles of Purell in our backpack when going to the parks (we were just there in Jan04 and I was terrified of DD3 getting the flu - not that the Purell would stop it, but it made me feel better). Even more ridiculous, I bring those pop-up Clorox wipes to clean the remote, wipe down the toilet, counters, door knobs, etc. at the hotel.

It's amazing I find time to visit the parks I'm so crazed cleaning the room!

I thoght I was the only one that wiped everything down and I never step in the shower without flip flops on. I buy a pair for when I get there and just dump them on the last day, I don't wanna bring them home with me. YUCK

GailT
04-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by meganbear
Well now I see there are others just like me! I have every intention of bringing a can of lysol as well.

Yep, I can't stand that either! I always try to wear shoes in the room (or flip flops).

I have never stepped on a hotel floor without my shoes on, now I am thinking, how in Gods name do I go to the water parks and the beach. I am obsessed with germs :sunny:

Jacksmom99
04-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Just a thought....are we sanitizing ourselves into surpressed immune systems and resilient germs? I take normal handwashing precauitons, but try not to stress about other things. I'm on vacation and don't want to spend time cleaning. One thing I will do however, is clean the whirlpool tub (in the DVC villas) and jets before I use it.

sr6888
04-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have to agree with Jacksmom99. My sister-in-law is an doctor specializing in infectious diseases. She says that we over sanitize and take too make anitbiotics. Kids that aren't exposed to other children or germs, tend to become "sickly" when they get to school. They catch everything and get sicker for longer.

I know, I know. We imagine all kinds of things at the hotels where we live and sleep, but did you think about all the doors and handles, and ropes and bars your kids are touching at WDW. You have a few people staying in your hotel room before you, but thousands of people touching all the things your kids touch at the parks. If you are staying at a WDW hotel, it is probably cleaner than almost anywhere else but your house.

Now to confess, I cannot walk barefoot on a hotel room floor!

WIDisneyFan
04-20-2004, 11:29 PM
I guess I am on the other side of the fence from most in this thread. I travel regularly for business (40-60 nights a year in hotels) and other than looking for obvious issues I never worry about it and have never had a problem. I will agree that there can be some issues that need to be fixed but to me the hotel seems no worse than anywhere else on the trip (taxis, buses, airports, planes, and so on)

(hopefully I don't scare anyone out of the taxis, buses and planes !)

kimberlyp02
04-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Thank God I'm not the only one! LOL.... My dh and I are both pretty germ contious. I will tell you though that the majority of my fears came from Food Handlers courses when I was younger and my family owned a restaurant and when I was older and waited tables. I don't like germs.

BUT...I've come to realize lately that the things I'm stressing out about the most aren't the nastiest. I just read a few months ago that you would be better off sitting directly on any public toilet seat than touching a keyboard?!! Like 10x's more germs on keyboards and mice. And also that it would be ALOT healthier to eat a carrot that had fallen in your toilet as opposed to your kitchen sink. YIKES!

So, my conclusion has been that I need to chill out some. I've also learned this since I have a child now. They will touch everything. The first trip or two to a hotel room was enough to give me anxiety attacks. I've decided that if I am going to enjoy this week at Disney, I need to still take precautions, but chill out some.

These are some things that I usually do though and am still planning on giving everything a once over this time too.

Take the bed spreads off or cover them with my own blanket(the extra sheet is a GREAT idea!

I always bring lysol or disinfectant wipes and wipe down everything.

I will usually scrub the tub out really good since my dd is so young, but she wears a swimsuit.

I HATE to walk on the floors without socks or shoes on. ESPECIALLY bathroom floors.

I clean the phone, remote, nightstands, toilet door knobs, etc with lysol

The bedspread, floor, phone and remote give me the most worry. And also those NASTY mattress pads some have on them. You can feel them under the sheets and I have to wonder what in the world is in those or the pillows! Usually if we're close to home I take my own pillow....but....oh well

stonecreekboys
04-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Oh my goodness, it is so funny other people are germ freaks like me. I have been this way since high school and most people laugh at me. I don't let anyone near the bathroom until I spray it down with Lysol, I mean faucettes, bathtub, toilet, floor, door handles, you name it. I tell them "You don't want to get the stomach virus do you?" That usually quiets them. I also am a freak about the ice buckets. Who can imagine what else has been in them other than ice. Also, comfortors come off the bed immediately and we even roll back the blankets. Purell and wet one's go to the parks with us. I cannot fathom reusing towels in a hotel. I know Disney pushes water conservation, but I line the bathroom floor with towels so we don't have to touch the floor. We also keep slippers or shoes on. Most of the time Disney rooms are clean, but who needs to risk communicating a contagious illness while on vacation? My husband usually grabs the remote pronto. The Lysol wipes are a great idea! Happy traveling!

graygables
04-25-2004, 12:54 AM
After travelling in Turkey and using the "facilities"... as long as there's not 2 footpads with a hole for a potty, and a shower head above for (WHAT?!? you do *both* in there?!?) :eek: I'm OK with hotel cleanliness! I've never covered a remote, removed a bedspread, sprayed anything, and always walk around barefoot and I've never, ever gotten anything from a hotel room. My DDs are equally germ-friendly and DH is learning to be, thanks to WDW resorts!

blowinbubbles
04-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Gray, I travelled to Turkey two years ago, and although I heard about the hole-in-the-floor potties, I didn't get to see one! Probably because we stayed in the city of Istanbul. Hehe, I was actually disappointed that I didn't get to use one of those! LOL!

I have to agree with those who say that one can get *too* germ conscious. I think to constantly sanitize and de-germ can be detrimental to our immune systems, by not giving it the chance to build up immunities.

That being said, though, I think it's a wise idea to at least wipe off the door knobs. . I can't imagine that the housekeepers actually do clean them, and heaven knows what kind of bacteria lives on the bathroom doorknobs!

Ann