PDA

View Full Version : Do you use fabric softener in your laundry?

Blondie
04-20-2004, 08:39 AM
I switched from Downy to a new brand, "All" has their own now, so I tried it because it was on sale, plus I had a coupon. I think it was a 'fresh rain' scent or something like that.

It was okay, but nothing makes your laundry smell nicer or gives it that soft feel more than Downy, and I am hooked on their Clean Breeze scent. Tropical Bloom and the original April Fresh is just as nice, but I really like Clean Breeze.

Do you use a fabric softener, or do you use those toss in the dryer sheets?

MosMom
04-20-2004, 08:42 AM
I use Tide detergent, Downy, and Bounce sheets. If you had allergies, you wouldn't last long in my house. ;)

TerriP
04-20-2004, 08:44 AM
I use the exact same combo as MosMom. :p

tiggersmom2
04-20-2004, 08:45 AM
I use the exact same combo as MosMom too!::yes::

Allie322
04-20-2004, 08:47 AM
I switch around with detergents from time to time but I NEVER switch from my Downy! Years ago, I tried a different brand and couldn't believe the difference. I sound like a commercial!

MosMom
04-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I'm such a trendsetter. :cool2:

dizneenut
04-20-2004, 08:51 AM
I use Downy. I love Tropical Bloom and Clean Breeze. :teeth:
I occasionally use the sheets.

Christine
04-20-2004, 08:51 AM
I use dryer sheets and the less smell the better. I do love the Tide Mountain Spring scent; however, I find that I *reek* of it. I also think it's funny when I get into an elevator at work and I can tell who uses Tide and Downy. So, I try to go easy on the smells.

piratesmate
04-20-2004, 08:54 AM
I use Era and Downy April Fresh. It's the only scent I don't have allergy problems with.

Roemama1
04-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Well...here's another Tide/Downy junkie!!! I've had several people ask me what I use because clothes/laundry always smell good. Back when I first got married and had kids...(didn't know any better) used to use whatever was on sale but now, NO WAY!!! Give me my Tide or Downy or give me death, LOL!!!

(Apologies to Patrick Henry...LOL;) )

pumba
04-20-2004, 08:57 AM
arm and hammer perfume and dye free.......and downy perfume free and NO STINK.......
One of the kids I care for is here and I think his gramma did his laundry again......IT IS SOOOOOOOO STRONG it has made me sneeze and choke up.......this is ridiculous smell.......to to strong

JerseyJanice
04-20-2004, 08:59 AM
I never used liquid fabric softener until I got a washing machine that has an automatic dispenser.

Now, I wouldn't do my laundry without it! I love the way the job it does.

My favorite softener right now is Snuggle Sun Kissed Breeze. It's the bright yellow Snuggle scent.

It's awesome! So fresh and nice without being too perfumey.

monkeyboy
04-20-2004, 09:04 AM
I send all my wash out so I don't know what they use

kild
04-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Cheer free with Downy April Fresh. I cut the Downy in half to keep the scent down.
Tried the fabric sheets once, my oldest broke out in a horrible rash from them.

Don't I feel manly :)

Poohbear123
04-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Tide Powder Tblets, and Downy--when I remember to put it in.:o

Mom2Madi
04-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Another Tide/Downy combo user - although I only use the liquid Downy when washing sheets and DD's clothes - I use Downy or Snuggle dryer sheets for everything else. I have found that if you use liquid fabric softener on your towels they don't absorb as well... they are soft and smell wonderful - but the drying element is not there...(my opinion of course!)

I have been asked in the past - what perfume are you wearing - "Uhh, Downy??" lol!

Trish Bessette
04-20-2004, 09:22 AM
I use liquid WISK with Downy. Downy is the best! I won't do a load if I don't have any Downy.

Kimberle
04-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Tide/Downy too! Also, dryer sheets, though not fussy abt which brand.

My Mother doesn't use fabric softner. Her clothes feel like cardboard. :rolleyes:

Kim&Chris
04-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Another Downey Clean Breeze fan here. I used to use April Fresh, but bought Clean Breeze by accident one day. OMG! The scent is awesome! Makes the whole house smell nice when I'm doing laundry.

always quiet
04-20-2004, 09:39 AM
I use Era and Downy April Fresh. ::yes:: In a pinch, I'll use Snuggle, but nothing aside from those two. My sister recently tried the Clean Breeze and is raving about it! I went to her house last week and she hustled me out into her laundry room to smell the stuff! :teeth: My kids always tell me that I "smell good" when the hug me....guess they don't realize that they smell the same way!! ;)

tkd lisa
04-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Downy or snuggle here. I only use the softner sheets when I'm on vacation.

DCLuvinit
04-20-2004, 09:50 AM
I guess I'm the oddball :) ...we use an all-natural non-alkaline laundry detergent made by Melaleuca and love it! And we also use the same brand of fabric softener, which smells great. I used to use Tide and Downy, and also was a fan of the scent :), but was surprised at the harsh ingredients found in Tide.

tc
04-20-2004, 09:57 AM
I use any detergent that's on sale, but never deviate from Downy April Fresh liquid. I don't use it for towels, the don't absorb as well. I use 1/2 to 3/4 to save money, and it doesn't make a difference in the feel of my clothes. I hang most of my stuff, so dryer sheets are not an option. Also, when I was in high school, we had a fire in our dryer. The fireman said it was caused from the film left by the dryer sheets. I am sure, over 25 years later, they've fixed that problem, but I always think about. I use dryer sheets on vacation with detergents in tablet form (so much easier).

piglet too
04-20-2004, 10:03 AM
I use Tide HE and Downey, either Clean Breeze or Mountain Fresh. We ned to start using sheets again as we sometimes need to wash loads twice (5 yr old is wetting bed at night) or we forget to switch right away and that is using up a lot of the liquid softner. When we do use sheets, it is Downey as well.

Kimickey
04-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm smelling my shirt right now. I'm a Tide and Downy freak too!
I prefer the Clean Breeze scent in the Tide, Downy Fabric Softener and Dryer Sheet the best. I like because it remindes me of the summer time, particularly around the time we are doing our planning go to Disney. Which by the way is now! I started using the combo two years ago and love it.

During the fall/winter I switch to the Mountain Spring scent in all three. I know call me crazy but, hey we have clean good smelling clothes.

BTW 40 load Tide is on sale this week at Target $5 I went and snagged three Clean Breeze scents on Sunday!

disneygals
04-20-2004, 10:31 AM
you people are too smelly! :tongue:

I use "all free and clear" and "downy free and sensitive" with the downy ball (love that thing).

I once borrowed my neighbor's detergent when I ran out and ick, I had to re-wash everything. I can't wear perfume either, so I must smell like my powder-fresh deodorant, one of the only smells I can tolerate.

olena
04-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Downy all the way.

GlennandAnn
04-20-2004, 10:39 AM
I was just thinking about the Downy and Bounce or just Downy or just Bounce the other day! What an interesting life I lead:o

I only use Tide, Downy April Fresh and Bounce dryer sheets. I was wondering why I feel the need to use both Downy and Bounce. Don't they do the same thing- or is Downy just for softness and not for static?

Ann:earsgirl:

Laurajean1014
04-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Nope. Don't believe in it. I think it's a waste of money.

If you buy expensive or designer type clothes, they can ruin them because of the soft or higher end fabrics.

Use it on the "disposable clothes" that need softening.

Also, if you buy 320 thread count sheets or better. Do not use fabric softner on those. It will hurt the fabric.

browneyes
04-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Sometimes I use both dryer sheets and liquid softener. I always use one or the other.

cinmell
04-20-2004, 11:16 AM
I use Tide detergent, Downey fabric softener (Mountain Fresh, green cap) and bounce sheets.

MickeysMommy
04-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I use Era, Downy and then Bounce :bounce:

Blondie
04-20-2004, 12:27 PM
I also use Tide detergent, I'm surprised at how many of us use it! I've switched around, and nothing seems to get clothes cleaner than Tide, especially having boys that get their clothes very dirty!

If I use fabric sheets, I use Arm & Hammer Fresh n Soft in the Wildflowers scent. I use them for softening up jeans that have dried outside in the dryer on "fluff" cycle.

peg2001
04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
We don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets. We use a scentless detergent.

Peggy

catsrule
04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
No fabric softener, it makes me itch. Yes to the drier sheets.:D

Otto's Doll
04-20-2004, 01:33 PM
We have always used Snuggle, but after reading all these threads I think I will pick up some Downy when I go to the commissary this week.

Shellie722
04-20-2004, 01:49 PM
No fabric softener here. Used to use Tide and Bounce and got alot of compliments on how my clothes smelled. Then I started having alot of unexplained allergic reactions and really bad hives so my allergist made me stop using either of them and swithch to a "baby detergent" like Dreft. It costs a little more but really cut down on the reactions drastically and I've found it is wonderful for getting stains out.

Kermit
04-20-2004, 01:54 PM
We don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. I'm allergic to every one of them I've ever tried, and I don't find they do much. Our clothes are plenty soft.

tiggerlover
04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Tide
Downey liquid
Downey dryer sheets

On ocassion we have used Snuggle dryer sheets, but we much prefer Downey.

ckmommy
04-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Tide Powder --original scent
Downy April fresh

I have had to change between the Tide Scents, because my nose gets used to the smell. I LOVE the smell of Tide and Downey April fresh together. When I was growing up my mom used Cheer and Bounce, and my clothes never smelled really good! Once I got married I tried Downy and LOVE LOVE the way it amells. If only they made a plug in or candle that smelled like it!

BTW did I mention that I love the way Tide and Downy make my clothes smell???

Lachesis00
04-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Downy green lid :D and bounce in the dryer... I love the smell of fresh clean clothes!

gallaj0
04-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Tide Free liquid and half a Bounce Free dryer sheet.
When it was time to replace the washer, we got a front loader, high efficency one, with extra rinse and super spin; it was great for getting out the soap, but also the softener we used to use, so we had to go to the dryer sheets.

Before we got the new wahser my kids were getting some excema from the laundry, and I got it on my shins something awful, so I had to experiment with the Tide Free to get the right amount in the HE washer.

C.Ann
04-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Never use dryer sheets - they just don't do the job and I can NOT stand scratchy clothes!

I usually use Downy or Snuggle - both do a great job and come in nice scents..

Blondie
04-20-2004, 04:09 PM
If only they made a plug in or candle that smelled like it!

Yankee Candle makes has two scents that come close; Seaside Holiday and Fresh Comfort.