PDA

View Full Version : just booked Poly - need good thoughts!

my3boys
04-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Just secretly switched our reservation from POFQ to Poly. My husband and boys have wanted to try the "pick up stick" resort for some time now, but I've always resisted. I'm so excited about my surprise that I will keep to myself until we arrive and am hopeful I can arrange to have the towncar company in on my secret as well.

However, I'd love to hear positive thoughts about the Poly. I know we'll greatly appreciate the transportation, but hearing more from the loyal following of Poly fans will help me to feel better. Thanks!::MickeyMo

gallaj0
04-20-2004, 08:39 AM
We stayed there in january, and it's going to be hard going anywhere else after stayign there! We ahd a lagoon view, and could see the castle form our room; we watched the fireworks from the pool, we had Tonga Toast 2 mornings in a row!
The transportation is, in my opinion, the best on Disney property; our longhouse was close enough to walk to the TTC, so we didn't have to wait for busses, or trasnfer to the Epcot monorail.
The kids loved the place, it's just so exotic you really know you're on vacation.

Tikiman
04-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Have you been to my page? http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/

If you ahve questions please ask.

We try a different resort at the begining of our trip and than go over to the Polynesian for a week. We have tried offsite, Yacht Club, AKL and now we will try the Dolphin but so far location and resort the Polynesian is our favorite. I have also visited many of the resorts but some I just don't want to stay in.

Aloha

Steve

PamNC
04-20-2004, 09:06 AM
We stayed at the Poly for the first time back in Feb. and we fell madly in love with it. So much so that we're going back in July.

And, here's the best part: We were die-hard YC/BC fans. Wouldn't stray from the Epcot Resort Area. We're now officially Magic Kingdom Resort Area Recruits! Still love YC/BC but Poly has taken the #1 spot.

Why?

*it's a relaxing atmosphere - very laid back
*lovely grounds
*it's much more impressive overlooking Seven Seas Lagoon than Crescent Lake - c'mon now - no contest!
*LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Although Epcot area is great too.
*the Poly truly embraces the Disney magic and spirit of aloha!
*best CM's on property

Now - I hope you're excited because you too may become a Recruit.

PamNC

my3boys
04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi Tikiman! Actually, I visited your website, and it is what convinced me to make the change in the reservation. The site is incredibly informative and helpful. I even took notes and hope to request a room Tokelau as well as all our names translated!

Could I ask a couple of questions?
Do you have a preference for first floor or 3rd floor? ( I would like a balcony or patio)

When should I request a coffee maker, robes, and turn-down service? It is my understanding that these are available upon request.

:confused:

dylansdad
04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
keep the secret

imagine: walking to your room down a path through lush tropical vegitation, past glowing tiki torches, with hawaiian music playing in the background... you will love it

aloha

ChristyJ
04-20-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm in the same boat-I'm trying soooo hard to keep the secret that I switched from CBR to Poly GVC-I have until Dec. to keep my mouth closed!! It's our 10th anniversary, so I thought this would be my treat to DH!! Also, his 37th and DD8th birthdays are during the trip, so I have other secret plans as well!! :D

my3boys
04-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I want to leave right now for the trip!

ChristyJ - How exciting to read about another sneaky wife/mom!!! I did a Gifts of Lifetime surprise for my husband when we visited for our 10th anniversary trip!

k&a&c'smom
04-20-2004, 09:56 AM
You will love the Poly - it's such a special resort, in a class of it's own, really. The monorail, music, the tiki torches, the lush landscape, the monorail, the beach, the view of the Castle, the wonderful cm's, did I mention the monorail?! Ahhhhh, what could be better?! Now I want to go back!!:teeth:

adelais1
04-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Just got back and loved it; the place grows on you and the private boat rides across to the kingdom were awsome, the atomosphere is very laid back. I had a conference at the registry a wonderful resort in Naples after our trip but was immediately homesick for the poly. I'm going back as soon as I can! We also liked the GF but you can visit there easily. I had the best time in my life at night at the POLY!!!!!!!! The transportation and location are wonderful.

Tikiman
04-20-2004, 11:08 AM
My3boys,

I like the balconies but I prefer the ground level. I like the open patio. I have never heard of requesting a robe but the turn-down service can be requested for free and the coffee maker can be in the room for a fee.

Aloha
Steve

WDW LifeLong Fan
04-20-2004, 11:52 AM
..........The Poly!

It is my favorite resort since my childhood!::yes::

We rotate our WDW Resort choices among the four of us. I usually choose the Poly!

Enjoy!!!!! :wave2:

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

whjoyjr
04-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Best Resort at Disney...

'Ohana
Monorail at TTC as well as the lobby
Large rooms.
Volcano pool.
Views of MK, GF, CR, ferry boats
Electric Water Pagent

And the most friendly staff...

Enjoy!

adelais1
04-20-2004, 12:06 PM
We switched from a balcony to a patio for ease of the pool and going in and out to get soda, watch fireworks, go to the luaus, jump on the boat to MK, jump on a monarail to epcot. I was traveling with a four year old and a teenager. We were treated like royalty. One night, I met an old friend at the GF. We decided to go over to the poly but stopped at the Contemporay to see the view via the monarail and had a drink on the 15th floor. When we left, we were then the only folks on the monarail and the captain had us sit up front. When we got to the poly, the bar was closed but they made us drinks and the staff toasted our long time reunion. No driving, fireworks, a view of the MK, tikilights, and that disney magic. No worries! It is the best!

lissawynn
04-20-2004, 12:15 PM
my3boys
Thanks for starting this thread. I am planning my 30th b-day trip for April 2005 and I'll be booking the Poly. From what I've read, we'll love it there.
Tikiman's website is great and I know it will be helpful when I plan my trip.

Have a great trip!

FeePeeDisney
04-20-2004, 12:26 PM
There is just something about the Polynesian that is a little different about the other resorts. It is so relaxing. I have only stayed there once so far, but DS still compares all other resorts against it. He loved the BoardWalk Villas, but Poly just takes the cake for him.

When we arrived, my parents and I had asked for adjoining rooms, and we were told that my parents' room was not ready, which kind of forced us to go to my room. When we got there, there was an ice cream cake and balloons, and only then did we figure out that it was just a ploy to get us all to my room.

You are going to have so much fun, and it will be even better if you keep it a secret.

Happy Disney-ing!!
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

'95- Offsite- Comfort Inn, LBV
'96- Dixie Landings, All Star Sports
'97- Coronado Springs - Grad Trip
'99- BoardWalk Villas
'00- BWV (May), Disney Institute (Oct)
'01- BWV
'02- BWV
'03- Polynesian (May), BWV (Sept)
'04 - Port Orleans Riverside (May), Saratoga Springs (Sept)

luvmarypoppins
04-20-2004, 01:02 PM
You will love the Poly. We just got back April 14, o.k. this time we did not stay at the Poly due to the high rates for the peak season, we stayed at the swan but we visited the poly. My 3 ds rented the mouse boats. Sure glad they got to do that because now since the accident they have change the rental age to 16 and a liscensed driver. It was ds 12's first time driving solo. He did well. DH and I ate at konas. Unfortunately we did not have a good experience this time. But the ds loved their lunch at captain cooks. Review your resort newspaper and take advantage of all the free resort acitivities. Our ds loved the arcade challenge. Its 2 days a week like from 3-4 pm. and they get free video games with resort id. They also have pool games, like basketball etc. I dont know how old your children are. They also have arts and crafts etc. in the neverland lounge from like 12-3 or 4. But an adult must accompany the child. Its the best resort for childrens activities I think. The ohana character breakfast is a good choice. Watching the water paegent from the beach at night cant be beat as well as wishes. We saw about 1/2 of wishes from the beach this time. Just dont feed the ducks. They can get pretty nasty. DS 12 had to be rescued from our samoa patio by DH because he got attacked by a hungry bunch. You will love the Poly. Enjoy your trip.

chamonix
04-20-2004, 01:51 PM
because now since the accident

I guess I missed this, what accident? Something recent?
So, as of this week drivers must be 16yo?

iloveeeyore
04-21-2004, 08:24 AM
rolls and RULES!! It is definitely the best resort on property for all reasons mentioned above.

I am truly flummoxed every time I read negative comments about the Poly. Have a magnificent time!:sunny:

When are you going?

my3boys
04-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all the great comments and reassurances. I am so excited and anxious to get to WDW and surprise my family. :Pinkbounc

We will be heading down the first part of June, so we'll be packing the yellow rain ponchos!

Luckymommyx2
04-21-2004, 10:00 AM
My husband is trying to talk my in-laws into paying for our room for two days before our cruise next year. (The only way we can afford it this time.) Ever since we went resort hopping during our trip last month I can't wait to try it. It seems so romantic...great for our 10 yr anniversary trip next year...plus it sounds like a lot of activities for the kids. Hopefully we'll get one day to relax at the resort and one day in MK.

Thanks for the great website Tikiman!! My husband will not settle for another resort after viewing your pictures! :tongue: