PDA

View Full Version : who has stayed at pop century?

Banshee
04-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Please give me your opinion's!We have always stayed at CBR before, and are now considering Pop Century for December 28th to January 10th! Thank you very much!:D

Tigger&Belle
04-19-2004, 09:34 PM
I stayed there in February with my 4yo and my sister. We liked the resort for the most part. Good value, fun place to be, food court seemed to have a good variety, even though we didn't eat there.

We heard the outside noise a lot and if I stayed there I would request a room facing the water or another quieter area. Late at night people would talk very loudly, yell to family/friends far away, whistle, etc. It could happen at any resort I suppose, but teh outside doors made it seem louder. Also, the pillows were way too fluffy for me to sleep on and I had to demand that they get some flatter ones from a different resort (I asked nicely and they refused, but I'd read on here about people getting flatter pillows so knew that it was something they should get for me). Those are really my only complaints. Well, those and the fact that the buses were very crowded. We were there at a slow time, but had to stand a lot going to and from the parks. Not too hard for me, but my sister is 61yo (a healthy 61, but still...) and nobody offered her their seat or took their toddler on their lap to make more open seats. That was a little disappointing, but not a big deal.

I would consider staying there in the future, but when I go next time alone with my 4yo I will probably stay at a moderate.

T&B

DVC~OKW~96
04-19-2004, 09:36 PM
I've stayed there. I had a lovely time. The resort is fun to explore and the pools are great for lounging. I usually stay at the BC (for a resort) or OKW (as my DVC home) so was pleasantly surprised to find so much to like about Pop Century. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

TnKrBeLlA012
04-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Just got back I loved it, I would totally stay there again. I stayed in the 50's building and it wasnt too loud I guess it just depends where you are. The rooms are a little small but we were hardly even it there so it wasnt no big deal. Besides its a new resort just try it out! ;)

Banshee
04-19-2004, 09:50 PM
:D Thank you all very much!

Gagebre
04-19-2004, 11:21 PM
I only stayed for one night before moving to POFQ so I didn't use the transporation. The food court had more variety than POFQ although it was a lot more crowded. My son really enjoyed the game room and the gift shop had a lot of neat items but it also seemed more crowded and lively. As one of the previous posters said I also had a little problem with the noise. I didn't notice it at night but it woke me up early in the morning and we were not facing a pool (50's bldg.) The mornings at POFQ were much quieter except for one morning they were cleaning the room next to us and kept going in and out of the room with the door guard turned out (it seemed like 50 times).

:wave: :wave2: :wave:

westjones
04-19-2004, 11:25 PM
We stayed there at Christmas time this past year and really enjoyed it. We could see fireworks from Epcot (we stayed in the 50's building).

We enjoyed the tye-dyed cheesecake! The lobby is like a time capsule museum. It was so fun seeing the items in the shadow boxes.

We are staying there again in September. It is a value resort, but it is very nice! We got a AAA rate for this coming September of $59/night. At Christmas time, there were no AAA rates available, but some people seemed to get some great AP rates (didn't help us, we don't have APs).

DJ

jobanana
04-20-2004, 12:27 AM
I thought the pillows were to fat too. But I didn't know about asking for flat ones. We really liked the hotel.

Magic2000
04-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Glad to hear such positive reports!! We'll be there in July and we can't wait!!!

Daisy64
04-20-2004, 09:30 AM
I stayed there end of January with my 4 and 6 yr old. We had a blast, the CM's were great, wait times for bus were very short and my children loved the outside twister games and arcade.

Daisy:sunny:

Banshee
04-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone!:D :D

Debbie1967
04-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Restroom-Toilet question.

The reason for this unique-strange question is because I have arthritis in my hands and while staying at All Star Music I had problems flushing their toilets. (I had to use a hairbrush to push the button) Their toilets has a flush button on top. Can anyone tell me if PoP has the handle type or the flush button type toilets?

Thank you,

:confused:

Kajunswty
04-21-2004, 01:23 AM
Hi all,
Debbie, we just returned and I am glad to answer your "odd" question. The toilets have a normal handle. Actually, I didn't remember about the push button ones at the All-stars until I read your question. I can see where the push one would be a problem ~ it was hard for me!

We just loved Pop ~ everything about it ~ especially the fluffy pillows :) Something else that that I we just loved was the music. We were in a ground level room and enjoyed leaving the door propped so we should enjoy the music playing outside. It was rather loud the first morning (7 am) but someone must have complained because it was turned down the second day.

Oh, one thing I did miss is the liquid soap dispenser in the shower. Looks like I'm the only one that liked them. :(

Everything we tried at the food court was great. They really need to get another icee dispenser or shut off the one they have so it can freeze. It was so popular that the stuff never froze it was a sugary syrup........and my girls still drank it....yuck!

Since this has turned into a mini trip report.......I guess I should add that I think you (Banshee) should stay at Pop for this trip and book another for your wife’s birthday @ CBR :smooth: But, that's just me helping you to get another trip in......lol

disneyjunkie
04-21-2004, 07:59 AM
We were there for 9 nights during Easter break.

We loved it! The pillows were great, we never had problems with noise or bus service.

Our room was in the 70's building, 2nd floor, facing the playground. A very short walk to the main building, pool, and bus stop.

The buses were crowded, but I expected that since we were there during a peak season. We had to stand a few times, but that was my choice. I could have stepped aside and waited for the next bus.(we did this a few times)

Everything we ate in the foodcourt was great. The only problem we had, was that they gave you so much food most times we could not finish our meals. I loved the shrimp lo mein.:tongue:

All of the CMs we came in contact with very nice and helpful.

We really enjoyed our stay at Pop Century and are looking forward to returning this Christmas.

The only think I'd do different the next time is rent the fridge. I didn't get one this time because I didn't want to spend the extra $90. As a result, we wasted a huge amount of food because we had no way of keeping it fresh.

goofymom/pop
04-21-2004, 08:25 AM
how many places you can refill your mugs at?

And if I am in my swimsuit at the pool is it ok to go into the food court to refill?

disneyjunkie
04-21-2004, 08:51 AM
They have several refill stations around the foodcourt area, I think there may be 4 of them.:confused:

BONZO
04-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Hi,

Another one just back from POP over Easter.

Never satyed at a Value resort before but this had the look and feel of a Moderate resort.

We stayed in the 70's building - top floor overlooking the lake and generation gap bridge (nice and quiet as requested).

All the buildings were within easy reach of the food court and superb theming.

I fully agree with everything that disneyjunkie mentioned and we even managed to meet up with Tyler!

goofymom/pop - I think you can only refill at the Food Court and I noticed a lot of people in swimsuits refilling mugs.

wld
04-21-2004, 10:14 AM
We are mostly moderate people that stayed at pop in January. We were very nervous about staying at a value but found we were pleasantly suprised. We asked for a room in the 70's with a nice view and that is what we got, looking out over the lake. Did not have a problem with noise. Our room was nice and close and I would not pay extra for a preferred room. Some of them looked farther away than our room. Cast members were very good and attentive, check in a breeze and we enjoyed the food court several times although it can get crowded. Still the lines moved quickly. The bus service was my least favorite thing. Many times in the morning we had to wait for the second bus. And more than half the time coming and going at any time there were people standing up. I also wonder with summer coming how hot those bus lines are going to be. POP is more FUN I think with the moderates being a bit more quiet and romantic.

mrs. magoo
04-21-2004, 11:34 AM
We stayed at POP in January.:Pinkbounc

We were in the 80's building facing away from the computer pool. We had 2 adjoining rooms. It was a great resort. My 3 year old wants to go back everyday. We never went to any other pool but the computer pool, but the other 2 pools looked great. Our room was very quiet and a short walk to the food court and buses. I considered returning there, but we decided to try somewhere new - the french quarter.

Kathe princess:

:fish:

Banshee
04-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks all soooooo much for the info!! I feel much better now! I think the kids will really enjoy it too!:D :D I havent booked yet but I am already excited!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

tinkerbeth
04-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Hiya,

I am soon booking (waiting for AP rates to come out) at PC for the end of August.

Can anyone tell me what kind of luck they had getting a king non-smoking room? I know they'er not guarranteed but I'd like an idea of what the likely hood is.

Also - what was it like to get to other resorts? Did anyone take a cab and if so how much was it? I asked these questions on the FAQ board too but I thought some of you might know the answer.

I am SO EXCITED!! We've never been to WDW and are going to get APs to get the rooms cheaper. Then I can start hinting that we should go back at March Break...

Thanks.

Beth

wld
04-21-2004, 02:40 PM
I faxed in a request for a nonsmoking king and got it. The resort seemed quite crowded too.
To get to another resort we just use the busses. Since we have been to WDW a few times we are usually not in a hurry and plan about 1 hour travel although it rarely takes that long. We do it one of two ways. Either jump on the first bus we see and transfer over to the resort bus where we end up. Or plan for which place is closest to the resort we are going to and jump on that one like POP to Animal Kingdom to the Animal Kingdom Resort. If it is late at night we make the switch at downtown Disney.

disneyjunkie
04-21-2004, 02:50 PM
We had to get from PC to the Beach Club twice during our trip. Once for the Illuminations Cruise and once for breakfast at Cape May Cafe.

Both times we took the bus to MGM then a boat to the Beach Club. Both trips took less than an hour. On the first trip we missed a boat and had to wait for a second one.

After the IC my son and I we going to the BoardWalk to look around. On the boat from Beach Club to BW, he started to feel sick, so we took a cab back to PC. The cost for the cab was about $10.

cudworth
04-21-2004, 06:57 PM
we were also Mod people until this trip to Pop I have to say everything was great . we stayed over the easter week and the bus system was great we stood in line for 20mins only once and that was because we just missed the first one . I was surprised that at supper time for me 6pm how slow it was at classic hall but by 7pm it was a zoo. I have to agree it had the feel of a mod resort just noiser at classic hall.

*Fantasia*
04-21-2004, 07:07 PM
I just copied this from my previews post.

Considering it's a value resort...it has the iron/iron board in the room, they rent out surrey bike, and you can see Spaceship Earth from the 4th floor bldg 60's (The Playdough bldg). You can see some fireworks (only the high ones). And you can also have the water view as well. Really cool.

Since it's very new resort, the room is super clean. The food at the food court are very good. The selection is very much like the ASMo, lots of food to choose from. There's 2 tvs on the wall at each end.

We dropped our luggage off right at the check-in curb and the cm put our luggage away. I only waited about 10 minutes in line to check-in. The room was not ready yet so we went to the park, then later, we went to our room and our luggage was already there. We didn't have to call for our luggage to be sent up to our room.

The pool is pretty cool, the kids used the kiddie pool. There's this 5 circles (balls) around the pool and it shoots water. They enjoyed the pool. We didn't try the Hippy Dippity (sp?) pool cause I didn't want to be in the water cause the weather was a little bit to the cool side and I don't think the pool was heated at that time. If it was, then I must just love a warmer/hot water. But that pool looks so much fun! The Bowlling Pin pool looks cool too.

Some may say that the bldgs are "cheesy" or gaudy. I thought the bldgs are cute. It does take you back in those good old days. I know it took me back in the 70s and 80s. Very nice.

Everyone there are so friendly and willing to help. I definitely give this resort 2 thumbs up!!

The weather is nice during the day time, but as the time goes by in the late afternoon, the temp cools down a little bit. It only rained on us for 2 days.

The crowds at the parks...hmmmm....not bad at all concidering it's Easter week. We did good, we were able to ride the rides without too much wait and we took advantage of the Fast Pass.

We went to the Easter Mass at Contemporary Resort. It was a nice Mass. After the Mass, we just took the monorail and went to have a breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. The food was very good. We saw Pooh, Eeyore, Alice, Penguin, Bert and Mary Poppins. We were only there for about an hour. GF is....WOW...nice...very nice! We were able to check out the ground and their pool (no we don't pool hop, we just looked at the pool and took some pixs)

After our breakfast, we went to Epcot. It wasn't crowded at all. My kids had their pix taken with Mr/Mrs Easter Bunny. They even get to decorate their paper eggs/bunny. They also had a Easter egg hunt. The kids enjoyed that a lot!!

My apartment searching turned out just fine. We also checked out one of the schools there. It is an "A" school. I am going to finalize everything when we head out back in Orlando this coming May.

Telly

Madi100
04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
we stayed in January. The resort for the price is large and has a wonderful theming. The larger than life icons are neat, the pools are nice, and the walkway behind the resort is wonderful. The rooms are the same as any other All Star Resort. Since we went in January, I'm going to give Disney the benefit of the doubt and say that the people were just not well trained. Our check-in was a nightmare! The completely messed it up. We were having something mailed to us, and anytime we went to guest relations we had to wait in a line that was at least a ten minute wait. The people at the check-in area were nice enough. However, most of the people did not speak English very well. It was hard to communicate with them. Therefore, there was lack of Disney Magic that we were used to.

The transportation was fairly good. A lot of standing. The only really bad thing about the transportation is that you seem to be able to walk 50 miles if necessary to walk through a park. However, when you decide you want to leave, you want to be at the bus stop NOW. For the most part, Pop Century is the furthest walk to the bus stop pick-up.

Overall, I would stay there again, but we really preferred the All-Star Movie Resort. Next time, we hope to stay at a moderate. I've always dreamed of staying at Port Orlean, Riverside.

BrerRabbit_fan
04-21-2004, 09:18 PM
We were there in Jan and loved everything about PC. I had stayed at CBR last trip and wanted to stay there again but they were booked up. I highly recommend PC, the only thing we disliked was the noise at midnight but we had a courtyard room at the front of the 70s building. I would go again in a heartbeat!