PDA

View Full Version : Never been-need help from the "pro's"

4boys4me
04-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Planning our first family visit next October. Does anyone know if the parks have limited hours during that time period? Is it too hot?

Also would love opinions on resorts-planning on POR since it's the only moderate that will hold 5. Any suggestions on an Alligator Bayou building that's close to pool and main area/bus pick up?

Is there likely to be any special packages offered for October?

Finally, is the Silver add on plan worth it? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do it right!!! Kids will be 11,9 & 5 if it matters.

WillAndFinn'sMom
04-19-2004, 08:04 PM
We went in October 03 (AllStar Sports) and had a wonderful time. Yes, the parks closed early most days, but there were several Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Parties at night (which definitely was worth the ticket prices - we just walked onto all of the rides)

The weather was great. It was hot on some days, and warm to hot on others. It cooled down in the evenings, though. Definitely warm enough to swim, but not sweltering.

We had a wonderful package (Fairytale), but I have no idea what will be offered. I'm not really an expert on this.

Mercy
04-19-2004, 08:12 PM
We went in Sept one year and yes, the parks closed a little earlier but because the crowds were so low we could accomplish so much more.

I would think the weather in Oct would be great.

Keep watching the boards, we are all waiting for late summer/fall discounts.

I have heard that the Silver plan is really not worth it unless you are all very big eaters and plan to eat all your meals at sit down restaurants. If you do a search, there are threads where someone has broken down the costs.

But anyway.... WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!! You will soon become addicted, just to warn you. You will find more information here about planning a trip to WDW than you ever thought was imaginable.... but that's a good thing! ;)

KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
04-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Last time we were there was in Oct. 2002. The weather was great, but we did have a really cold night the first night there and had to buy sweatshirts! (Plus we drove through a tropical storm to get there!) We went to MNSSHP as well, and it was mobbed...we didn't have walk on's for anything....Would I do it again? YES !!!!!!! We had a great time!

k&a&c'smom
04-20-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey, 4Boys4ME! - Welcome!! You will find plenty of advice on these boards, it's a great help for planning your trip.

Your kids will be almost exactly my kids' ages on our first trip, at Dixie Landings!!(Now Port Orleans Riverside) We loved this resort, I'm sure you will, too!::yes::

Let's see, yes, the hours will be shorter during Oct., but this is true for every month except Spring Break, Christmas, and the summer months. Right after Labor Day, the crowds drop off, and park hours are changed accordingly.

To get a bldg. near the Main bldg., near buses, food courts, etc. you need bldg. 14, 15, or 18. To be near Ol' Man Island, the pool area, you would want bldg. 27 or 38. If it were me, I'd pick the bldg. closer to the main bldg., but if you intend to spend a lot of time swimming, maybe the ones closer to the pool would be for you.

There's never any guarantee that there will be a discount code, but past experience leads me to believe it is very likely. We all just have to twiddle our thumbs until they decide to let us know!!:rolleyes:

The Silver Plan? When I priced this out years ago, it was not worth it to us, we do not eat from dawn to dusk while on vacation. You would have to eat sit-down meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day just to break even. We cannot ever eat this much, and, believe me, we've tried!!:laughing: It's much easier, and cheaper, IMO, to schedule a sit-down dinner, a few character breakfasts if that's your thing, and wing it for lunch. Otherwise, you're dashing from one PS to another, constantly looking at your watch when you're in, say, Frontierland and need to be at Tony's for one of your PS's.

Hope this helps, you will have a great time, unfortunately you'll probably become as addicted as the rest of us!:jumping1:

McCall
04-20-2004, 10:39 AM
the only rooms at POR that hold 5 woud be trundle bed rooms and you are charged 15 extra for the trundle bed.
there will be many nights in Oct when the Mickey's Not so scary Halloween party is going on at MK the park closes at 6 on those nights and only people with tickets to the party can get back in the parties go to Midnight. Tickets have not yet gone on sale but are expected to shortly.

4boys4me
04-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice, you're right...I'm addicted! One more question...several of you have mentioned checking "the boards" for the special offers....what and where are these boards? Where is the best place to find out about the special promotions?

Ok, two questions: Where do I find out how and when to buy these tickets to the Halloween Party?

k&a&c'smom
04-20-2004, 05:34 PM
The "boards" are where you are posting, right now!!;) Usually, you can find a thread titled "AP discount codes," or "discount codes for the summer," and these people are great at sharing info!! Also, go to mousesavers.com, and watch that site for discount codes as well.

For the Halloween party, go to allearsnet.com and click on "Theme Parks" and scroll down to Oct. for the MNSSHP(Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.) It will give you a lot of info about the party. And, you can purchase tickets through CRO. Just call and ask.:wave2:

p.s. I just checked allearsnet, and it says the ticket sale dates are "to be announced." So, you can call CRO, but they may not have the tickets available just yet.:teeth: