PDA

View Full Version : Best resort pool slide?

GONETODISNEY
04-19-2004, 06:13 PM
My sons always want to stay at the Poly due to the volcano pool and slide. My question is, which hotel has the best slide? All opinions are welcome. Thanks

Castillo Mom
04-19-2004, 07:45 PM
While I can't speak from personal experience, I've read that the top 4 are SAB at the BC and the slide at the Poly, Luna Park at BWI and the slide at CSR. I chose to stay at the BC because of my boys and their love of pools and slides. Hope it lives up to it's reputation.:D

mmeb144
04-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Don't dismiss the moderates! My kids really enjoy the slide at the CBR. We are staying at POFQ, to try out the cool slide there. My dream is to be able to afford the Beach Club someday, to check out the mini water park there. But, in the meantime, I'm not without slides to check out.

Marie

Deb & Bill
04-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Coronado Springs has a pretty cool pool with a pool slide. Looks like a Mayan temple.

Tikiman
04-20-2004, 09:07 AM
I liked SAB but the slide was not as fun as the Polynesian. I went on it twice and it was enough. The Polynesian slide I will go on more times than I can count when I am there. The AKL and GF slide are much slower and shorter and even SAB is not as long. My opinion is that you would need to go to a water park to find a better slide and I am not just saying that because I like the Polynesian.

currycook
04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Without a doubt the SAB at the BC is tops in its class. A five star pool for sure. Your boys will love it better than the Poly.

GONETODISNEY
04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
can anyone tell me about the Contemporary pool and slide? My sons love the slide at Poly, but what about Contemporary. From the picture it looks nice, but will it stand up to the boys standards?

Thanks.

Credit Man
04-20-2004, 01:44 PM
I have to cast my vote for the Keister Coaster at Boardwalk. A great slide!!!

dmonroe
04-20-2004, 01:50 PM
I like the Keister Coaster too!:D

budget mom
04-20-2004, 02:10 PM
My DD is 5 & 1/2 and I would consider her a very good swimmer and adventursome. We are booked at YC and I just read the slide there might not be good for little ones as they can't wear life jacket on slide. I know it will be over her head when she hits the water, but how far/hard is it to the steps or ladder?

odddog
04-20-2004, 02:10 PM
gonetodisney,
I have stayed at the contemporary and the slide is nice, but not as nice as the slide at SAB (stayed there also), Trust me the boys would love SAB, not just for the slide but for the sand bottom pools the lazy river all the nooks and crannies and waterfalls,
it really is a water playground!
Enjoy!!

jel0511
04-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by budget mom
My DD is 5 & 1/2 and I would consider her a very good swimmer and adventursome. We are booked at YC and I just read the slide there might not be good for little ones as they can't wear life jacket on slide. I know it will be over her head when she hits the water, but how far/hard is it to the steps or ladder? It is true that absolutely no flotation devices are allowed to be used on the slide at SAB, life jackets, water wings, etc are disallowed. The slide at SAB exits into 4 1/2 ft of water. There is a rather strong current in that part of the pool, making it a difficult swim to the exit area. It's about 15 ft or so to the stairs, but for a 5 1/2 YO, probably too far with the current. The area is roped off, and NO ONE is allowed into it. You can not wait at the bottom and assist in anyway, the lifeguards will ask you to leave. They even ask the person who just exited the slide to move quickly if they seem to be dawdling.

budget mom
04-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Wow, thanks Lori......it sounds like she would be miserable if she couldn't do the slide with her bro and sis. I have been considering switching my res to Poly or Boardwalk Inn anyway, maybe the slide should be the deciding factor. Any ideas on these two pools for a 10, 7, and 5 yo?

Grumpy37
04-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Of all the resorts we've stayed at, SAB at YC/BC has the best pool by a long shot, but the Poly has the best slide.

You didn't ask, but the best WDW water slides are at the water parks, esp. Summit Plummet at Blizzard Beach. :)

jel0511
04-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by budget mom
Wow, thanks Lori......it sounds like she would be miserable if she couldn't do the slide with her bro and sis. I have been considering switching my res to Poly or Boardwalk Inn anyway, maybe the slide should be the deciding factor. Any ideas on these two pools for a 10, 7, and 5 yo? I've been to both pools, and I like Luna Park over the pool at the Poly. The Poly slide is completely enclosed in the volcano and gets COMPLETELY dark. My 5YO thought it was slightly scary due to the complete darkness. I wouldn't let my 3YO try it because of the darkness. The slide at BW is AWESOME! It's shaped like a large roller coaster and is completely outside. Now, it's not as fast as the Poly's slide, but probably 3 times longer. It all depends on what you're looking for in a resort. The Poly is a great place with large rooms, and is very laid back with it's polynesian decor. The BW is slightly more upscale, and has the Boardwalk at your disposable for nightly activities. Personally, I like the MK resorts for the monorail convience to MK, but that's it. I MUCH prefer the location and amenities of the BW resorts. They can't be beat IMO, and we really enjoy staying there. This year, we're going for two weeks so we're getting the best of both worlds, GF and BWV. If I had to choose between GF and BW, that would be tough, but if it's between the Poly and BW, the BW wins hands down IMO.

budget mom
04-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Lori--this is off subject of slide, but not totally. If we stay at BW because of pool slide etc will it be a problem that there is no "on site" restaurant? Also I can see what you mean about not loving the enclosed slide at Poly.

jel0511
04-20-2004, 05:24 PM
There are plenty of places to eat in the BW area, that I don't find it a problem. I must preface that by saying, we stay in a villa, so a quick easy breakfast is always at our disposal.
You can grab a quick an delicious breakfast at the BW bakery, they have the BEST cinnamon rolls. Spoodles has a full-service sitdown breakfast. If you want to take a quick stroll, you could eat at the character breakfast at BC, or have breakfast at the YC Galley. Fresh at the Dolphin is pretty good I hear, and there is also Tubbi's at the Dolphin for counter service. Lunch, more places are available, but there is a lack of counter service places at BW(Tubbi's at the Dolphin is the only one), something I'm not worried about. Personally I get so much chicken nuggets, fries, burgers, etc in the parks, it's nice to not have that option to fall back on. Dinner, there are just SO many options, with all the BW, BC, YC, S&D have to offer, as well as World Showcase which is about 5 minutes away. You can get lunch at Leaping Horse Libations at the pool if you're lounging there, as well as, walk to the Boardwalk and grab a slice of pizza from the pizza window at Spoodles. If you need anything else, because I could go on and on, let me know!!!

GONETODISNEY
04-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Wow what great replies! Thanks to all who have helped. I agree that the pool at SAB sounds wonderful. Can you tell me do you miss the monorail when you stay here? Also, do the rooms have daybeds?

Thanks again

odddog
04-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Being in any epcot resort, BC/YC, Boardwalk, or Dolphin/Swan
is very nice and although I love the monorail, you really don't miss it. I know I associate the monorail with the MK anyway, so when you are "down" in Epcot country it is a different feel and you don't miss the monorail. Epcot is a WALK away and MGM is a really nice boat ride away. There is so much to do around the boardwalk area and it is very pretty at night. The kids love the outside arcade and chasing the many ducks that land in SAB and the surrounding pool area. I don't think anyoune has mentioned that the slide at SAB is a ship wreck, you climb to the top of the mast and then slide over the walkway (road?) thru some twists and turns and waterfalls (small) and in the pool, on the other side of the slide entrance in the ship wreck itself is a baby slide that goes into a kiddy pool, with a VERY cool CM that let me go on the slide with my 4yo DD (which was pretty nice considering no other hotel pool let us both go down at the same time!)
We are DVC so we stay in the villas at BC which are 1 and 2 bedroom suites, the studios have a queen bed and a pull out couch. I don't know what the rooms in the other area hotels are like, hopefully someone else can help you with that.
Good Luck!
Also, it is a long walk but if you are in epcot anyway, you can take the monorail up to the MK!!!

Tikiman
04-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Just a side note to all this. The slide at the Polynesian is not completely dark. It has red lights throughout the tube. Just didn’t want you to get the wrong impression. I agree that SAB is a better pool but the question was what we thought was the best slide. I do like the Polynesian pool being on the beach. It is nice to be in the pool and look over at the fireworks when taking a night swim.

Also a little experiment I did. I filmed walking from one place to another and at home I timed each walk and the walk from our room at the YC to the middle of Epcot (because World Showcase is not open in the morning) and the walk from our room at the Polynesian to the TTC and on the monorail to Epcot and walking to the same middle area of Epcot was actually shorter from the Polynesian…believe it or not…but about 2 minutes so I would not consider the Polynesian only a MK resort when you can get to Epcot just as fast as some of the resorts near Epcot. The trick is getting to MK from the Epcot resorts.

I guess the main thing here is either the Polynesian or the YC/BC will be great. I love both and the AKL would be up on my list with those if it were not out where it is.

Aloha

Steve