PDA

View Full Version : Which is first to reserve; room or air

Hermosa11
04-18-2004, 10:33 AM
What would the the furthest you can reserve an on-site room for? (1 year?) I am dreaming of summer 2006 and think I can stick to my savings plan..........and If i reserve the room, then at what point do you start searching for the airfare deals? usually around March (only 3-4 months before June/july trip).
So if I cannot get at "deal" with the airfares......I have my room reserved, but end up getting a high airfare , which means I may not have budgeted for that........augh..........I need to win the lottery..........of course I need to PLAY the lottery..........

aesalsa
04-18-2004, 11:41 AM
I usually reserve my room first--as far ahead as possible (haven't stayed oin-site, though--only at the Wyndham Palace) I've looked for airfares for October--Southwest only has flights scheduled through September, but Expedia has flights scheduled for that time already (Delta). So I guess what I'm saying is that you can book your air 6 months in advance. Shop different airlines or sites like Expedia for great deals on airfare. I've found cheap deals when one books VERY early or VERY late. Hope this helps, and I'm sure that someone more experienced than me will come along to help you ;) .

:wave2:

Aisling
04-18-2004, 03:02 PM
I always reserve the room first, this way I have what i want right from the start.
And then I watch for when the fares come down. It's easier to change room dates than airline dates when already booked.

goodferry
04-18-2004, 03:08 PM
on whether you are traveling with young children. We booked our airfare in January for our June trip, rates are about $20 RT cheaper right now, but, the flights we wanted are not available at those rates. Last trip we flew at 6am to get a good rate, and it wasn't worth the money. Having to have the kids at the airport at 4:30am was horrible. We had two transfers and didn't get to WDW until after noon, at which point we were all exhausted. This trip I booked a reasonable 9am flight that is non-stop and has us to MCO before lunch time. I suppose you could book your room in advance, especially if you want something special that is hard to get, like CR full concierge, but we had no trouble getting a room at the Poly in March when the codes came out for our travel dates.

goin2disneyagain
04-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I always reserve my room first. Most airlines will book several months out. Delta books 331 days out so could still start shopping for airfare way in advance.

dpic
04-18-2004, 04:15 PM
As you mentioned, I reserve our room long before airline rates are released. I then watch the rates for the same weekday of travel of our trip (leave Friday, Return Sunday) so I have an idea what a good rate is. Then when the rates are released I pounce on the first good one. This year, Spirit ws running the cheapest, and I booked them the first day their rates for our travel dates were released. I just checked and for the same flight they are now charging about $60/person more than what I paid.

motaei
04-18-2004, 05:44 PM
My dates were pretty much cast in stone, so I booked my flight first. Then I called Disney to see what rooms were available for the discount code during my stay. But then again, I was only planning three months out, not 2 years.

I say, book your room first. It's the easiest to change. So when the discounts come out for your flight, you can probably move your room dates accordingly if needed. Good luck!

BTW - Don't even bother looking at SouthWest Airlines to take you to MCO. From California, it will cost you double what the other airlines will charge. :eek: From SJC, I've gotten good deals with Delta & United.

Hermosa11
04-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Well, this trip kind of fell into place.......not really planned.
I had some money......wanted to do SOMETHING! co-worker said to call Southwest (they had a current deal running - $99 one way). I called, and got Sacto. to Fl for $243 (including tax).
I just got lucky. When and IF the time comes around, I will certainly call and check EVERYWHERE and all airlines.
Thanks!

dznyntnh
04-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I always make my room reservation first, as soon as I decide I want to go.

Then when it gets closer and I'm 100% sure of my dates, I start looking at airfares. Most of the time its about 6 months out, because I usually go SWA.

I never get my air until I'm sure, cuz I can always cancel the room or make changes, but changins the air is far more difficult.