PDA

View Full Version : SOG or POFQ?

KNBNESMOM
04-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Room size aside, what do you guys think? It will be myself, dh, dd-11, ds-6, and dd-1. We have stayed at SOG so we know how large the rooms are and that we will be more cramped at POFQ. This really is not an issue for us, though. We will be there June 27-July 5 and already have reservations at SOG. We called today and were able to get the FL resident discount (yes, we are FL residents) at POFQ for those same dates. Overall we will pay $100 dollars more total at POFQ (we will only be paying $70 a night at SOG vs. $82.51 a night after tax at POFQ). We started leaning towards staying at a Disney resort for a few reasons. I really would like to have the Disney theming that we will miss out on at SOG. It also sounds as though things are still very disorganized at SOG. Now I know that a lot can change in two months but that is a chance that we will be taking and I guess that for some reason feeling the "magic" on this trip is important to me:crazy: I have also read the info about the EMH "test" in May and if they decide to continue this into the summer and don't change their policy on SOG guests then we won't be able to do EMH on the days that they have it during the evenings. I know that there are pros and cons either way, but I thought that I would get some opinions. Thanks in advance.

FirstNo
04-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by KNBNESMOM
Room size aside, what do you guys think? It will be myself, dh, dd-11, ds-6, and dd-1. We have stayed at SOG so we know how large the rooms are and that we will be more cramped at POFQ. This really is not an issue for us, though. We will be there June 27-July 5 and already have reservations at SOG. We called today and were able to get the FL resident discount (yes, we are FL residents) at POFQ for those same dates. Overall we will pay $100 dollars more total at POFQ (we will only be paying $70 a night at SOG vs. $82.51 a night after tax at POFQ). We started leaning towards staying at a Disney resort for a few reasons. I really would like to have the Disney theming that we will miss out on at SOG. It also sounds as though things are still very disorganized at SOG. Now I know that a lot can change in two months but that is a chance that we will be taking and I guess that for some reason feeling the "magic" on this trip is important to me:crazy: I have also read the info about the EMH "test" in May and if they decide to continue this into the summer and don't change their policy on SOG guests then we won't be able to do EMH on the days that they have it during the evenings. I know that there are pros and cons either way, but I thought that I would get some opinions. Thanks in advance.

Unless Disney has changed their policy, I don't see where you'd have a problem with the EMH. SoG guests could participate in EE and those nights when the MK stayed open 2 or 3 hours later (with a fee, of course). I don't think that will be a problem.

If you're looking for the magic then, to me, it looks like you've all ready made your decision; you want to stay at a Disney owned resort. Honestly, our opinions don't really count much since we don't know you nor your likes/dislikes. You know about the room size and you've all ready considered the money. I think your gut has all ready told you what to do. Go for it and don't look back. :)

yecats
04-18-2004, 10:46 AM
I agree with the above poster in that you've already made up your mind. POFQ is very nice especially and I think you'll have a great time no matter what.

Wonderlandmom
04-18-2004, 11:14 AM
We always take the Disney resorts over SOG-but we would have to pay $101 at SOG now and $104 later this year. Nothing beats the ambience of a WDW resort, IMHO. :D
FirstNo-there is a new test for EMH and SOG does seem to be shut out of the evening ones. The Hilton qualifies for some bizarre reason.
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=549924&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

FirstNo
04-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Wonderlandmom
<snip> FirstNo-there is a new test for EMH and SOG does seem to be shut out of the evening ones. The Hilton qualifies for some bizarre reason.
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=549924&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Is that not weird or what?!?! I do remember being told that the reason all the resorts on the Disney property were not included in EE and such was the resorts had to pay Disney for the right for their guests to participate in such things. I guess SoG decided the price was too high this time.... it's a shame for the guests, though. :(

kadaten
04-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by KNBNESMOM
Room size aside, what do you guys think? It will be myself, dh, dd-11, ds-6, and dd-1. We have stayed at SOG so we know how large the rooms are and that we will be more cramped at POFQ. This really is not an issue for us, though. We will be there June 27-July 5 and already have reservations at SOG. We called today and were able to get the FL resident discount (yes, we are FL residents) at POFQ for those same dates. Overall we will pay $100 dollars more total at POFQ (we will only be paying $70 a night at SOG vs. $82.51 a night after tax at POFQ). We started leaning towards staying at a Disney resort for a few reasons. I really would like to have the Disney theming that we will miss out on at SOG. It also sounds as though things are still very disorganized at SOG. Now I know that a lot can change in two months but that is a chance that we will be taking and I guess that for some reason feeling the "magic" on this trip is important to me:crazy: ..... I know that there are pros and cons either way, but I thought that I would get some opinions. Thanks in advance.
Things seem to be getting better every day at SOG, but I do understand that there are still issues. The new restaurant is supposed to be open by May 1, so that will be nice. It's always possible, but I can't see them not being done by your trip dates.

We always have the same dilemma (SOG and FL resident eligible), except that our SOG rate is $95 so the money is a little more even. For me it's usually down to money, but I like Deluxe resorts. So for me, SOG saves money over the other Deluxes. I do, however, like POFQ (where we honeymooned) and if the grandparents (who are insistent on Deluxe accomodations) weren't going with us this time, we'd probably have done that because it would save us money. With our kids, we get 2 rooms so space isn't as big an issue. What was a big issue this time is that from SOG we can walk across to the Poly and use the monorail to get to MK and Epcot rather than having to wait on the bus all the time...and we won't have to fold strollers to do that! Such a convenience and worth the $$.

I have also read the info about the EMH "test" in May and if they decide to continue this into the summer and don't change their policy on SOG guests then we won't be able to do EMH on the days that they have it during the evenings.
Wonder why SOG isn't included.... I'll be at SOG in just a few days, so I will check on it...unfortunately, we leave before the test dates :(

Will let you know how it's looking when we return!

arizonacolbys
04-19-2004, 01:08 PM
I just found out this morning about SOG being cut out of the loop on the evening EMH during the upcoming test run in May. :mad: I can't understand why SOG is allowed to participate in EMH for the morning hours, but not the evening hours - why not all or nothing? Seems very strange to me. :rolleyes:

My hubby has been looking forward to staying at the SOG with me in Sept (I've never stayed there,) but I'm really starting to have my doubts we'll be staying there. Everything seems to be changing - and not for the better. The last time he stayed there with his family SOG guests were treated the same as everyone else, but had different transportation. Now it seems SOG guests won't be considered the same as an on-site Disney guest if this new EMH schedule comes to pass.

We have always stayed on-site & loved it & now will be considering it again. Some of the things SOG doesn't offer that we will miss include: EMH, refillable mugs, charging back to the room, and better transportation at the Disney Resorts. Since having a larger room for just the 2 of us isn't that important to us -we are considering staying at a Disney resort now, too.

Does anyone know who I can contact about SOG guests not being permitted for the new EMH? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!:) ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

FirstNo
04-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by arizonacolbys
I just found out this morning about SOG being cut out of the loop on the evening EMH during the upcoming test run in May. :mad: I can't understand why SOG is allowed to participate in EMH for the morning hours, but not the evening hours - why not all or nothing? Seems very strange to me. :rolleyes:
<snip>
Does anyone know who I can contact about SOG guests not being permitted for the new EMH? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!:) ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

For the life of me, I can't remember the GM's name, however his right-hand (wo)man is Melissa Colvin. When I left, she was not only over the rooms division (my boss' boss), she was also second in charge. You could call the main number, not reservations, and ask to speak with her. I'm not sure it would get you much, but it's some one higher up to talk to and some one to bring your fears to concerning all of you've been reading. If SoG really has decided it's too expensive for them to pay for the luxury of their guests to have these special Disney amenities (and I don't know for certain that's the case), then it's only going to be through complaining loud and clear that it will get changed. Keep in mind though, it will probably come with another price hike. :)

AirForceRocks
04-20-2004, 08:02 AM
I would go with POFQ, hands down.

kadaten
04-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by arizonacolbys
I called Disney to ask why we were being excluded and they said it was a SOG decision. Called Guest Services at SOG and she didn't have any info about it but was sympathetic to my concerns, and suggested I write the General Manager, as he makes those types of decisions. For some reason, she didn't give me the name, but did say to send it "Dear Sir" to

Shades of Green
ATTN: General Manager
PO Box 22789
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2789

I would reiterate your concerns and point at that SOG loses it's attractiveness if it doesn't have the same benefits as on-site. I don't know about your situation, but for me, since I can get FL resident or AP rates, I can get a rate only $5 higher at AKL in value season....and get the moderates for less! So if SOG won't offer this benefit, it doesn't even stay in the running for our business. (We don't really like the All-Stars and don't think they can compare to SOG, so we never use them for comparison, but besides the outdoor entrances, the moderates are pretty close!)

Hope that helps! And I agree with FirstNo--they won't make any changes unless they hear LOTS of complaints about it!! IMHO, it was a pretty poor decision all around....business-wise, customer service-wise, and "keeping us happy"-wise!!

TINKTWINS
04-23-2004, 12:08 AM
We just got home from POFQ and loved it!!

Junebugwv
04-23-2004, 12:22 AM
We stayed at POFQ twice in the last year and have res for SOG in Sept. Our DS6 and DS11 loved POFQ and I'm seriously thinking about changing our Sept ressies. The DS 11 loved the pools (Riverside, too) and the atmosphere/food at the food court. The theme is quaint and the ease of getting around will be a real plus with your 1 year old.

FirstNo
04-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by kadaten
I called Disney to ask why we were being excluded and they said it was a SOG decision. Called Guest Services at SOG and she didn't have any info about it but was sympathetic to my concerns, and suggested I write the General Manager, as he makes those types of decisions. For some reason, she didn't give me the name, but did say to send it "Dear Sir" to

Shades of Green
ATTN: General Manager
PO Box 22789
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2789

<snip>

I did finally remember the GM's name: Jim McCrindle.

I heard from someone (not my source) that SoG has decided to outsource on many of its services. I knew security was being provided by an outside company. The problems w/Guest Services not being able to answer many questions could be explained by it being provided from an outside company, as well. I would imagine housekeeping is probably being done this way, too.

I had heard about the security issue...oh, probably 6 mos ago and since my source, at that time, had access to the few people still working security, I have every reason to believe that part of it is true. As to the others....well, I wouldn't be surprised. Any way to shave costs. :(

KNBNESMOM
04-23-2004, 07:04 AM
I just want to say thank you to everyone for all of your replies. Thanks for the info, kadaten, maybe we will send a letter to the SOG management. I think that we have decided to go with POFQ this trip. After seeing pictures of the resort my two older children are very excited to stay somewhere different. While we feel very fortunate to have the military benefits that we do, sometimes the government seems to cut costs to the point to where it doesn't seem like much of an advantage anymore. I know that SOG is still beneficial to a lot of people, but with us being able to get FL resident rates on Disney resorts all it comes down to is a bigger room for us at SOG and that's not what is important to our family. Thanks again.

Angie

:wave2:

suevee
04-23-2004, 03:19 PM
FYI

I called SoG reservations (888) 593-2242 and asked to be transferred to Mr. Jim McCrindle office. They did
so and I got an answering machine. So I left a message asking Mr. McCrindle why SoG did not participate in the test of Evening Magic Hours. I also asked if this becomes a staple will SoG then participate. If not, why? So....we will see if I get a call back.

arizonacolbys
04-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info suevee! :) I'd be interested to hear what response you get - thanks for keeping us updated! :)

kadaten
04-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by suevee
FYI

I called SoG reservations (888) 593-2242 and asked to be transferred to Mr. Jim McCrindle office. They did
so and I got an answering machine. So I left a message asking Mr. McCrindle why SoG did not participate in the test of Evening Magic Hours. I also asked if this becomes a staple will SoG then participate. If not, why? So....we will see if I get a call back.
I'll be checking in on Friday for a week, so I hope to ask him in person. Haven't had time to get my letter written this week (kinda crazy getting ready and DH was TAD for 10 days so I got behind on things...) but if I don't get it written before I leave, will do it when I get home. Hopefully I'll get it written and deliver it in person!!

Keep us posted on any returned calls!!