View Full Version : I think we decided... how long does it take to close??
04-17-2004, 08:48 PM
I think my DH and I decided on a 150 point contract at SSR. We were told we could have an April use year - so I guess that means we would immediately have this years points.
So... my question is... if we move as quickly as possible, what is realistically the soonest we could make reservations for a stay at Disney.
We have a trip planned at the end of May (for which we already have reservations), but I was HOPING if we closed in time, maybe we could switch to points if we were very, very flexible with room type and location.
Also... they offered us the possilbity of an October use year... what would be the advantage of waiting until October to have points??
Thanks for all your help!
04-17-2004, 09:01 PM
I cannot remember how it worked, but, we signed up on one day and made our reservation on the same day.
Congratulations on your purchase.
04-17-2004, 09:34 PM
As soon as you commit to buy, you can make a reservation. However, in the case of SSR, your stay cannot begin until the building you own is open. Chances are you will be buying a unit in building #3. This unit is scheduled to open around 7/1/04, meaning that regardless of your Use Year, you cannot book a stay that begins before July '04.
04-17-2004, 10:14 PM
You could also stay at one of the other DVC resorts after you close. While you can make ressies very soon after they approve you, you can't actually stay until you close, which could be a couple of months from now. So those April points would be good from now on, but I would go with an October if you get 2003 points, then your 2004 points begin in October 2004. If you don't get any points until October 2004, then go with April.
04-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Cruelladeville
You could also stay at one of the other DVC resorts after you close. While you can make ressies very soon after they approve you, you can't actually stay until you close, which could be a couple of months from now.
I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I just want to make sure the OP has the correct info. In the case of SSR, the opening date of the resort building is more a factor than the closing.
By all accounts, DVC has already sold out all of the points in Buildings 1 and 2. Points currently beings sold are in Building 3, and some people have reported purchases in Building 4 (maybe a specific Use Year).
If the OP is purchasing Building 3, the "Expected Occupancy Date" is July 5, 2004. While he/she could make a reservation now (or immediately after placing a deposit on the purchase), the stay could not commence until sometime after July 5.
By purchasing DVC, you are buying a real estate interest in an actual building. Even though DVC permits sharing of properties throughout the program, members cannot utilize any of the DVC program until their physical unit has been placed into service.
A purchase of Building 3 would probably close in early to mid June, but there is no way the stay could be any time (at any resort) prior to July 5.
If the OP happens to be getting points in Building 4, that first date of stay will not be until some time in August.
04-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks again guys.... always great informtion here!
04-18-2004, 02:28 PM
THe other possible problem I foresee is recent (repeated!) reports from folks that the last week or two of May are sold out due to folks coming down for MH and the grand opening of SSR. In fact, Member Services have told several people that just about every DVC property is booked for those weeks. There could still be cancellations, but I wouldn't give up your resort reservation just yet. I know we'll be there at that time to witness the ribbon cutting on our second home, SSR!:bounce: :bounce:
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.