PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to HHI on St. Patrick's Day?

Simba's Mom
04-17-2004, 01:56 PM
If so, I was wondering if they do anything to celebrate it either at the resort, or on the Island? We're considering a trip there in Spring 2005, that week. Last year we were there in late February and saw quite a few decorations up at stores around the island, so I'm suspecting it's something to celebrate. We're originally from Massachusetts, where St Patrick's Day was a big holiday, but down here, they barely acknowledge it. Would love to go somewhere where it's celebrated. Do they?

BobH
04-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Savannah boasts of having the second biggest St Patrick's Day parade in the US. Right after Boston. It is only 40 minutes from Hilton Head.

rapagna
04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
we lived there for 15 years,(moved away 1 1/2 years ago). there's a decent parade, the usual "green foods and drinks" at some restaraunts, and some decent sales, but that's about it. If you want a real st. patty's party, then you should go to savannah.. but be forewarned, the crowds are rediculous, in 15 years we went to sav. for st. pattys twice.
hth,
wendy

Simba's Mom
04-17-2004, 06:20 PM
How about getting to Savannah Airport on St Patrick's Day? Should we make sure our travel plans avoid leaving on that day?

KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
04-17-2004, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't think that the airport would be a problem, since most people are in town for the party and wouldn't be leaving that day. As a local, I know to avoid downtown at all costs if you want to do anything besides the parade and the party. It's crowded, and there are things going on there not suitable for children...that's after the parade...River St. is sort of like New Orleans on Mardi Gras....lots of drinking, girls flashing for beads, loud music, that kind of stuff....great when I was younger, but since I've lived here my whole life, just not that impressed anymore! Also, supposedly we have the second largest party in the US behind New York...

VMS
04-17-2004, 07:16 PM
We were there this St. Patrick's Day. We went to Savannah on the day before, but they were really in full swing already. We purposely avoided it on the actual day. It is definitely a big event there, lasting for more than just the one day. We did spend some time in the riverfront area, which was already geared up for the holiday. Seemed very seedy to me, though Savannah overall was nice. It seems like a big spring break type drinking atmosphere. The security to get into the riverfront area was unbelievably tight, more than any security we have ever experienced. We were amazed how much coverage the TV stations gave to the celebrating. We live in the metro NY area, which has the largest St. Pat's parade (that is what they told us in Savannah, and I just verified it by checking online), and felt they made a much bigger deal of it down there than they do here.

The only thing the resort did to celebrate during the day was a "Pot at the End of the Rainbow" scavenger hunt for families. It was OK, nothing exceptional. HH had its own parade on I believe the Sunday before the holiday.