2) Luna Pool (BWV)
3) Grand Floridian
4) Polynesian
5) Port Orleans / Riverside
6) Coronado
7) Wilderness Lodge
8) Carribean Beach
9) OKW

Note: Have not been to the pool at AK, Contemporary, Pop Century or All Stars. The new pool at SSR, with a 50 foot slide, should make it's way high up on the list.

Can anyone provide input on the pools we missed? How do they rate? What is your ranking?

nuthut
04-17-2004, 03:55 PM
I wouyld say you are right on target, except that we really like the pool area at CS. The volleyball court is the best we found on property. The pool is vedry large, great play area, slide and easy eating at the pepper market. Maybe move it to #3....

DSNY FN
04-17-2004, 04:16 PM
I agree with the sentiments about Coronado Springs they have a great pool area.

Doug Wolfe
04-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Great pools at CS & Poly.::yes::

But of course, my all time favorite is Storm-A-Long Bay!:wave2:

BWVDee
04-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Well, we have been to them all, so here's our ratings from best to worst resort main pools; according to our likes/dislikes:
1. SAB
2. AKL
3. BWV
4. Poly
5. GF
6. WL
7. CSR
8. POR
9. Contemporary
10. POFQ
11. CBR
12. Disney Inn (pre SOG)
13. ASMo
14. ASMU
15. Pop Century
16. ASSp
17. OKW
18. FW
19. Disney Village Townhouses (pre SSR)

Our ratings were based on theming, pool size, pool slide, hot tubs, pool bar and snack bar, surrounding atmosphere/views, pool amenities: i.e.life guards, float rentals, playground, etc., pool side food and beverage service, convenience from resort rooms, etc.
Can you tell we are pool people??? LOL!!

niks81
04-17-2004, 07:46 PM
We haven't been to that many of the pools....but here are the ranks :)

1) Stormalong Bay (YC, BCV stay)
2) Poly
3) BWV
4) VWL/WL
5) OKW

robinb
04-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Here is my ranking of the pools I have been to. Some pools you can not pool hop to, but I thought I would be complete :).

1) SAB -- just the best!
2) Polynesian -- great pool and view!
3) AKL -- very nice, but can't pool hop :(
4) Wilderness Lodge -- nice!
5) Luna Pool -- I don't like the scary clown!
6) Grotto Pool at Swan/Dolphin -- nice areas that can be cold, can't pool hop :(
7) OKW -- will be better after the new slide goes in :)
8) Carribean Beach -- have not been back since update, uninspired years ago
9) Contemporary -- lame-o pool and slide, hot tub was broken last trip
10) All Star Sports -- yuck, yuck, yuck ... but my 4 year old is fine with any pool :)

crisi
04-18-2004, 09:09 AM
I think it really depends on what you are looking for....

For instance, SAB is a really, really cool pool, but will age a mother of a three, six and ten year old about four years in an afternoon.

The MK hotel pools have the advantage of being close enough to the MK to make an after lunch swim and back at the MK by 3:00 possible. The Epcot are hotels have that advantage with Epcot and MGM.

The pool is just a body of water, and the slide tame, but true to everything about WL, the pool has some of the best theming. The pool grounds provide the best stroll and the geyser is a nice touch.

kathleena
04-18-2004, 12:08 PM
1. SAB
2 tie - AKL, BWV First one for atmosphere, second for the slide
4. CSR
5. WL
6. OKW (could rise with the new slide and especially if the calypso music goes away)

On my list to visit

GF
Poly
POFQ
SSR

SSRex
06-22-2004, 09:55 AM
For those of you that have been to SSR, where would you put the High Rock Springs pool on this list. Certainly not above SAB, but?

We will be at BCV just after the pool hopping restrictions are over for the 4th of July holiday period and plan to go to BWV and SSR.

palmtreegirl
06-22-2004, 10:46 AM
1. SAB
2. Dolphin
3. AKL
4. Poly
5. GF
6. BWV
7. CSR
8. WL
9. CR
10. POFQ
11.POR
12. ASMo
13. ASSp
14. ASMu

CRobin
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SSRex
For those of you that have been to SSR, where would you put the High Rock Springs pool on this list.

Rex, the slide alone @ SSR puts that pool at the top of my list.

Now if they can do something about that 100 degree + temperature on the pool deck......

kamgen
06-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Am I the only one in the world that does not like SAB??:confused:
The slide is okay, but I am not a fan of the pool in general.
I like the Luna Park Pool at the Boardwalk (Fun slide!) and the Poly pool is nice with the slide, waterfall and view of the castle.

We are headed to SSR in September, cannot wait to see their pool!:wave2:

helenabear
06-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by kamgen
Am I the only one in the world that does not like SAB??:confused:
The slide is okay, but I am not a fan of the pool in general.
Nope you are not the only one. We were able to pool hop to that one way back in 2000 when the Polynesian's pool was under construction. It was off season so they said it was cool for us to do. It was a nice pool, but I am not fond of the sand on the bottom really and I said to my husband, that it was an interesting pool but I would never stay there just for the pool itself. I'd rank ones as the following (either swam or hung out there enough to get a feel)

1. Polynesian
2. WL
3. CSR
4. SwanDolphin
5. POR
6. GF
7. OKW
8. BW
9. SAB
10. CSR
11. PC

idratherbeinwdw
06-22-2004, 02:38 PM
I have to say I am surprised at how high the Polynesian pool ranked on so many posts.

Before buying into DVC the Poly was "my" resort and I couldn't imagine wanting to stay anywhere else for more reasons than I have the energy to list right now. BUT, the pool was the one thing I always whined about there. No jacuzzi? At a deluxe resort? Even after they rehabbed the whole pool a few years ago, STILL no jacuzzi?? Argh!!

I can't disagree that the view is great, but I really feel the lack of a jacuzzi puts the Poly pool far down on my list. A personal thing obviously, and I guess since I stayed there with lagoon view most of the time the view didn't matter to me when I was in the pool. I wanted my hot tub like almost all the other resorts, moderates included, have. Especially at the rates they charged it seems like a huge lack to me not to have a jacuzzi at the Polynesian.

I will say that the volcano theme is cute, and the zero entrance is great for those with disabilities. The slide is nice, but not, at least to me, terribly impressive. But other than the view I don't see it as an outstanding pool.

Just another point of view, thanks for listening. Oh and my faves are BWV, SAB and POR. CS sounds nice, I'll have to give it a try.

Pa@okw95
06-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I would rate the small pool at South Point at OKW as being at the top of my list and it will only get better when they put the slide in at the main pool, less kids always makes for better pools. :D

Sabor
06-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Just out Pools have been to. Not including DVC Quiet Pools

#1 Old Key West Turtle Pond (Large , Quiet , Great atmosphere)
#2 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Zero Enrty , Ntural Looking)
#3 Polynesian
#4 SAB (too hard with kids of varying ages , Awesome Slide)
#5 POR Ole man Isle
#6 Wilderness Lodge
#7 Contemporary
#8 AS Movies
#9 POR
#10 Old Key West Main Pool - Does nothing For Me
#11 Luna Park - That Clown Face is way to scary

Happy Birthday Cat
06-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Pa@okw95
I would rate the small pool at South Point at OKW as being at the top of my list and it will only get better when they put the slide in at the main pool, less kids always makes for better pools. :D

I just let my four children vote and they said that their favorite pools were whatever ones Pa@okw95 wasn't at! Kind of ironic huh?;)

HBC

kweaver
06-22-2004, 08:29 PM
HBC - ROFL!

Pa@OKW95...be sure to pool hop to SSR next time you are down...there were not many kids there last week! :D

cheyita
06-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Pa@okw95

My kids loved the South Point pool all last week - probably for the same reason you love it - not crowded with room to actually swim!

Melrosgirl
06-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Here are the pools we've been to in the order we liked them:

Stormalong Bay (BCV)
Polynesian
Port Orleans French Quarter
High Rock Spring (SSR)
Vero Beach
VWL

nancyj
06-26-2004, 10:07 PM
The pool is always a consideration when we decide where to stay. We walked over to check out SAB last week while staying at BWV. Definitely cool, but we tend to like "pools", not sand. From the looks of it, the entire pool is sand bottom, right? And to get to the slide, do you have to climb up that sunken ship? That would make me crazy as my 5yo likes to go on the slide over and over and over and over... At VWL and BWV I will let her go by herself since it's self-contained and I can watch her. It seems like you have to actually leave the SAB pool area to enter its slide. I would not let her or DS 7 go by themselves if this is the case.

Happy Birthday Cat
06-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by nancyj
And to get to the slide, do you have to climb up that sunken ship? That would make me crazy as my 5yo likes to go on the slide over and over and over and over... At VWL and BWV I will let her go by herself since it's self-contained and I can watch her. It seems like you have to actually leave the SAB pool area to enter its slide. I would not let her or DS 7 go by themselves if this is the case.

Yes you do have to climb up the ship and it is an important consideration for those wth young kids that they do have to leave your sight to go to the entrance to the slide. When our kids were little and we stayed at the BC, both DW and I burned a lot of calories running up those stairs after our kids.

HBC

JimC
06-27-2004, 06:17 AM
For us:

1. SAB
2. AKL
3. Poly
4. WL
5. CSR
6. PO (Old Port Orleans)
7. DL (Old Dixie Landings)
8. CBR
9. BWV
10. VB
11. OKW
12. Cont.
13. All Stars

This would make a great poll. Say limit it to your top three choices.

Lexxiefern
06-27-2004, 06:30 AM
Of the ones I've stayed at:

1) BWV
2) SAB
3) WL
4) AKL
5) POFQ
6) Poly
7) GF
8) POR

It was too cold to try Poly and GF's pools on those trips. So maybe I would like them more if we actually went in them.

mickeymouse710
06-27-2004, 08:43 AM
I think some interesting points have been brought up in regards to the actual "pool" quality in regards to swimming vs atmosphere, views, etc. I never really thought about it until someone mentioned their kids preferences and it made me think that although; I would most definitely rank SAB and the POLY as my top 2 WDW pools--I love them both! It is not for the great swimming experiences I get there, it is for the atmosphere. I go into the pool to cool off and that is it, the rest of the time I love to lay in the sun, with a good book and a drink. I just love the atmosphere at both SAB and the Poly mainly for the views and their great pool bars, lol. To me they are total vacation. However when I think back, to when my kids were young these were not their favorite pools because of the "swimming" ability these pools provided. They really did not like the feel of the sand at SAB or the hike to the slide and the Poly pool was too small and crowded for them to be able to really swim and have fun. Their favorites were CSR, BWV and many times the quiet pools at the resorts because they were not crowded and the kids could really swim and have fun.
It would be interesting to see how a poll of "best pool" with responses from kids would compare to one responded to by adults.

timC
06-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Ranking the WDW DVC main-pools only:

1) BCV - SAB has simply the most cool things to do.
2) VWL - Ducks in the pool! What a joy.
3) BWV - The kiddos love the slide.
4) SSR - Cool looking slide. Resort needs time to establish an identity.
5) OKW - New slide will transform the OKW pool into fun central.

rinkwide
06-27-2004, 06:40 PM
1) (By a wide margin) Storm Along Bay

2) Um...let's see...It's that one with the...uh...

3) Wait I know this one...

4) Oooh...right on the tip of my tongue...

Shoot!

I guess SAB has kinda' jaded me.