PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculed again!

FreeTime
04-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Coworkers were making fun of me again today because they found out that I have 2 more Disney trips this year! I need some evil comments to make back to them. What do you say? Maybe the next time they ask where I am going on vacation I won't tell them!

OneMoreTry
04-16-2004, 07:29 PM
I'll be interested in the answers here. I minimize talking about our trips to Disney, which are usually only one week a year. But I still feel like my friends think we spend too much time there.

tjkraz
04-16-2004, 07:30 PM
I'd ask your coworkers where they are going this year on vacation. Something tells me it will probably not be as exciting as WDW. :teeth:

Caskbill
04-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Have your co-workers ever been to WDW? We constantly meet people who don't have a clue what WDW is. They think it's just a theme park, like Disneyland, or like any other theme park out there, 6-Flags, etc.

Therein may be the problem. Maybe they don't understand it's a full resort destination in itself.

sandieb
04-16-2004, 08:04 PM
You are going where, again???!???

My response: (Smile gleefully) It is so wonderful there!
Sandie B

Laurabearz
04-16-2004, 08:06 PM
We just tell people we are going to Berwyn....

Deemarch
04-16-2004, 08:06 PM
When people say to me, "You are going BACK there AGAIN!!???", I say, "Yup, it sucks to be us!"

They really can't figure us out!!

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

PalVal
04-16-2004, 08:08 PM
When I am asked why I go to Disney for my vacation every year, I ask them why do they go to the beach every year for theirs! Same reasons. End of discussion.

Doug Wolfe
04-16-2004, 08:11 PM
They're just jealous.

I agree with a previous poster. Ask them where they are going. Usually the answer is, "no where." Or, "I haven't decided yet," which is Latin for "no where."

When you actually go to DVC/WDW just sit there and relax, and think of those poor saps back home working. You end up with the last laugh.:p

TOMAR@SSR
04-16-2004, 08:54 PM
We`ve taken our Boys to WDW every year (or every other year ), since they were very young. Most of our anniversary trips, without the kids, were to WDW too. When we`re asked where we are going on vacation, from: ( Friends, Family, Co-workers), that know us well, we just give them that, look, and they say "OK, we Know where"."THAT`S RIGHT, MAKES US HAPPY!!

Lately I`ve been saying what the little boy says in the Disneyworld commercial on tv,
"THAT "MICKEY', I CAN TALK TO HIM ,'ALL DAY'!!!!!!!::yes::

pumpkinboy
04-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Deemarch
When people say to me, "You are going BACK there AGAIN!!???", I say, "Yup, it sucks to be us!" ... Good response!

Nobody who knows us is at all surprised that we're going to WDW ...AGAIN. With our 6 yr old wheelchair-bound DS, it's easy for others to understand that someplace warm, totally wheelchair friendly where DS (plus Mom, Dad & little sister) get treated like royalty, is someplace we're going back to again and again. DS just does not enjoy anyplace as much as WDW, no place else welcomes him as well as the CMs and surroundings at WDW do.

But hey, no excuses should be required. None of my colleagues have been as adults, but I know they all plan to take their families in the next few years. Our 4 yr old DD gives touring advice to her little friends on their way down: "yeah and Cinderella has a golden carousel which is really pretty, and be sure to go to Buzz Likeyear..." (yeah all the kids on our street think it's "Likeyear").

Bugeye
04-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Our friends have given in. Now they just ask "when are you going to Disney again"?

Disney Doll
04-16-2004, 10:43 PM
I usually say "jealousy is such an ugly emotion" with a little ;)

Johnnie Fedora
04-16-2004, 10:54 PM
I find our family vacations more often than all my co-workers, even the childless double-income couples. It really is just a matter of what's important in your life. We place a high priority on our get-a-ways, and hope to always be able to keep them a priority. I save every vacation/personal and even a few sick:crazy2: days for my DVC trips.

:yo-yo:

calypso*a*go-go
04-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Just tell them you're going to France. There are so many countries in the World Showcase that you should have a response for the next several trips! ;)

rsschneck
04-17-2004, 12:23 AM
I am a Dental Hygienist part-time and full-time MOM, etc. My DD is in the 1st grade so ALL her friends think she is SO lucky. Most of them do not believe her when she tells them how many times we have been to DL/WDW. They ask me and I, of course, tell them she is telling the truth.

Everyone who knows our family already knows where we are going on vacation. They are surprised if we tell them a different destination.

My patients get to mostly listen ( I have a lot of one sided conversations:rolleyes: ). I have worked in the same office for 11 years and know my patients pretty well. I have some that are as crazy for Disney as I am and we exchange stories and I have had some bring me back souveniers (I have the best patients and job). Others will pick my brain to help them with their first time planning. If someone is not interested then we move on to another subject.

Disney addicts must stick together because some people just don't get it.::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo I LOVE to vacation and I LOVE my DVC!::yes::

disny4ever
04-17-2004, 06:29 AM
We also have had the head shakes, " what - again " comments,
" there are other places in the world " and so-on and so-on.

If you like it ,don't sweat it. Is it any different then someone always going to the lake, or camping, or to the same reosrt on a beach. Just let everyone know there are thousands more like you who go to WDW every year.

JMWSR518
04-17-2004, 07:34 AM
It's funny i get the opposite response. I am a police officer and when i tell the guys i work with we are going back to disney, they get jealous. Everyone at my department loves disney. I think the people that tease you about disney have not been there and really do not know what its like.

JMW:cool:

dvcssr1
04-17-2004, 07:43 AM
My DH just says that Disney is the only place that he can go and forget about work and just relax. As long as that happens, we will continue to go. We have been other places but Disney just has that special magic where you can truly be a kid. Our kids are grown. One will be honeymooning at Disney in July and the other also owns at DVC and he is not married and no kids. I guess this Disney disease is hereditary huh? If it is I don't want a cure!

Kewz1
04-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Caskbill
Have your co-workers ever been to WDW? We constantly meet people who don't have a clue what WDW is. They think it's just a theme park, like Disneyland, or like any other theme park out there, 6-Flags, etc.

Therein may be the problem. Maybe they don't understand it's a full resort destination in itself.

I did a comparison speech several years ago on WDW and DL. As a "non-traditional student" I was way older than the other kids in the class and they kind of snickered at first when I gave the topic.

By the time I was finished explaining everything that WDW had to offer I swear half the kids in the class were ready to book a trip right then. I could actually see their faces change during the speech to "Wow!" Most had no idea what all WDW encompassed and I was happy to inform them. ::yes::

Kristen :earsgirl:

kathleena
04-17-2004, 07:54 AM
I usually only talk with people who understand. Avoids all the other comments.

No seriously - I only had this problem when we first started going. Then people became used to it and now they all ask - when's your next trip?

Here is a recap of my most frequent questions and answers. I never felt the need to defend myself, but I do feel my response can be just as stupid as their question.

"Are you going back AGAIN?" Yes! And it won't be the last time either!

"Haven't you seen everything yet?" No, come to think of it, I haven't! I guess I will have to go back again!

"Don't you get bored?" If I did, would I be going back?

"What do you do the whole time?" Play! Relax!

yasuern
04-17-2004, 08:13 AM
At work I am called Mrs. Mickey and I LOVE IT!! - Many of my co-workers go on a cruise every year or have a non flexiable time share that they go to the same time every year - or they rent a ski condo for the season every year and the list goes on! But somehow when you say Disney everyone assumes its the same old trip everytime! Those same folks that do the same things every year in probably less lush accomadations than at DVC resorts and with probably less options of things to do have some nerve to talk about MY vacations habits! But no need to be mean - Whenever I start to get annoyed with them I say " So going on ANOTHER CRUISE this year" or " Gee aren't you tired of going to the same condo at the same time of year every year?" It usually quiets them down and if not I say I know what I like what my family likes and I don't give a #@%&&^ what you think about it!

Sue:D

lenshanem
04-17-2004, 08:15 AM
I don't even tell people anymore when I'm going on vacation... :p

RumpleMom
04-17-2004, 08:23 AM
I use 3 responses-Florida, Orlando and Disney depending on who is asking. They all mean the same wonderful place to me, but sometimes it saves time explaining to people who don't get it.

littlestar
04-17-2004, 08:31 AM
We used to get that reaction. Now, half the people that used to say that go with us - ha.

It was funny, the other day I told my daughter about the Boardwalk story of the bedbugs. She told her boyfriend (they are going with us to Boardwalk in 2 weeks). And she said he started laughing and singing Zippity Do Da. She said he is so sick of work and bad news, he can't wait to pull into the driveway at Boardwalk.

The best thing about Disneyworld is feeling like you are 6 years old again.

wdeversole
04-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I just say ...

Our Deluxe Time Share in Florida

Terry S
04-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Bugeye.... I now get the same question as you. "When are you going to Disney again?"

Dis Hawk
04-17-2004, 10:42 AM
We should be compassionate to those envious of our vacations; so therefore here are some suggested responses ...

1. Planning on a European tour (pick any World Showcase stop that applies.
2. Planning on a far eastern tour (same as above)
3. Other variations of 1 and 2 above to complete World Showcase.
4. Planning on cruising the caribbean
5. Slumming it at a 5 star beach resort (BCV or HHI or VBL)
6. Beach and boardwalk trip this year (BWV)
7. Spending a week at my family's Yacht Club (BCV again - look for interesting reponses - expect additional envious comments)
8. We're planning an authentic African safari this year (AKL)
9. Camping in the wild this year (VWL)
10. An old fashioned up-state New York trip (SSR)
11. Polynesian tour this vacation (DPR)

I am certain I am missing quite a few other possibilities, however, I think you can get the point. Got you covered for the next 11 years or more at least. Good luck. And remember ... be compassionate to your friends' or colleagues envious emotions.

FreeTime
04-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I will definately have to use them. I am sorry to see that all of you also get the comments about how often you are going to Disney, but glad to see that I am not the only fanatic who will keep going regardless of what others think. Thanks again!

salvatorejrm
04-17-2004, 06:48 PM
I am the same way I love the planning part I have trips planned out until 2008. My friends think I am nuts, they just don't understand the "DISNEY ADDICTION". They are the ones missing out. Keep on planning those trips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::MickeyMo

CRSNDSNY
04-17-2004, 06:55 PM
I try not to tell too many people where I'm going if I can avoid it. I have a few friends who are addicts like me, so it's nice to have someone who understands.

My coworkers tease me all the time because we are so enthusiastic about Disney cruises and WDW. I just resort to thinking, "hey, they're just jealous."

In fact, very few people even know that we're DVC members.

BCVOwner2002
04-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Between Anniet and I we are always talking DVC! I even got one of our co-workers to join and Anniet is working on a few of her own! We also work with several people who vacation at WDW at least twice per year. If someone in our office isn't discussing WDW at some point during the year non-DVC WDW people wonder what's going on! LOL Annmarie

Nick@ VB+OKW
04-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by BCVOwner2002
Between Anniet and I we are always talking DVC!

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fam/fam05.gif

garylpn
04-17-2004, 08:34 PM
i just give them a dumb look,(comes easy to me) and ask with a very serious tone
You mean people vacation in other places?
since i have a lot of practice at keeping a very serious outward look i can usually pull this off, however since most fellow nurses now know me and know i live off my police pension and work per diem only to put it all into travel, and dvc it's harder to do this anymore
pirate:

goldilocks_63
04-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Hubby and I are in IT, and layoffs are rampant. Last time I was laid off, even though I had the highest ranking on performance, and was a women (which used to be a minority, now there are more), I was told "we'll your house if paid off, and you have all this money to vacation at Disney, so we thought we'd keep someone else who really needed the job!).

So now, I try to keep my mouth shut, and downplay any security I have, so it's not held against us.

So I need some lame excuses besides going to "Europe" etc... I don't want to give the impression of being any kind of an success. Causes too much jealousy.

So any other ideas, than visiting the grandparents?

Goldi

goldilocks_63
04-18-2004, 10:37 AM
at VWL ;)

CarolMN
04-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by goldilocks_63
Hubby and I are in IT, and layoffs are rampant. Last time I was laid off, even though I had the highest ranking on performance, and was a women (which used to be a minority, now there are more), I was told "we'll your house if paid off, and you have all this money to vacation at Disney, so we thought we'd keep someone else who really needed the job!).

So now, I try to keep my mouth shut, and downplay any security I have, so it's not held against us.......Goldi

Wow! I can't believe they said that! Lucky they didn't get sued! Since when do employers pick employees by who needs the money the most????

With that philosophy, they should keep those who are married with lots of kids and parents in a nursing home and fire all the single people, because they need the money more than single people, right?? Bet that isn't in their HR handbook!

Anyway, when people question why I go to Disney so often, I just look puzzled and ask them why they care where I go on vacation. Of course, if they are genuinely interested (and you can always tell), I offer to discuss Disney at coffee or lunch or any other time they find convenient!

Best wishes -