PDA

View Full Version : Kids Club and Food Allergies

DVCDawn
04-15-2004, 03:41 PM
My DD 4 has a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and nuts. Since we've known about the allergy we've been to WDW 4 times. Each time, however, we were much too nervous about her food allergy to leave her at one of the kids clubs (i.e. Neverland Club) because we are fearful that peanut butter sandwiches will be served and somehow she'd have a reaction. Not that she'd eat a PB&J, however if other kids do, there will be peanut residue on everything -- their hands and anything they touch from crayons to a chair. (For my DD, a reaction is a one-way ticket to the emergency room, not to mention possible death if not treated immediately.)

My question is, has anyone with a food allergic child used these clubs and were they happy (or unhappy) with how their child was handled?

Thanks!
DVCDawn::MinnieMo

lenshanem
04-15-2004, 04:20 PM
I hope you get a reply since we are in the exact same situation with our 6 year old daughter. Next year my youngest will be old enough to stay in the clubs, but I worry about the allergy with her sister. I don't know if I'll feel safe with them going, but it sure would be Nice to eat out one night and I know they'd have a blast.

On a similar topic, I have booked the Wonderland Tea Party for this June and called and left a message for someone to verify with me if it would be safe for her to attend. They didn't call back. I'm surprised. I will have to follow up on this one until I get someone personally.

Same situation with Cape May Cafe. I have called two or three times now and no response back. This is odd to me cause in the past WDW has been EXCEPTIONAL with answering any questions or concerns I might have.

I guess we could call and ask to speak to a manager of one of the programs?

momsully
04-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I was really worried about this as well as my son did the Pirate Cruise the last week of March. I called and left a message and no response. I left three messages and was concerned about what would happen. When we checked in they knew of my son and had a special meal for him. They also gave him a special wristband to wear. He had a great time and my worrying was for nothing.

Pa@okw95
04-15-2004, 05:04 PM
As both of you know a lot of things can go wrong in life with this type of problem. This is not a school situation where the professionals all know about your children and have taken actions to prevent any problems. Cookies, candy, as you know can have peanuts, and the help, well they are not like your kids school teacher and principal. I would not do it, wait for them to get older. They may not want to take your kids in the first place because of liability problems.

mbw12
04-15-2004, 06:49 PM
While I can't help with the Kids Clubs, since I haven't used them yet. I have done the Wonderland Tea Party with my 4 year old daughter that is allergic to milk. I was worried about leaving her that without me to supervise her foo intake, but they did a GREAT job with her. AND gave her a seat right next to Alice! I called and spoke with them beforehand a few times and they totally reassured me!
I also did the Pirate cruise for my son that has a peanut allergy and also had a fantastic result. They gave him a special meal and he wore a special wristband.

Disney goes over and above with allergic reactions, atleast in my case (we even did the Ice Cream soical with my daughter...they made her a special sundae!) We plan on trying one of the kids clubs next year....so I am curious to see what you find out!

Good luck!

lenshanem
04-15-2004, 06:55 PM
mbw12, I remember you telling me about your daughter and the tea party. It is actually one of the reasons I got the nerve to go for it! Do you recall who you called and how you got in touch with them? Did you call the day before and the day of, too?

Thanks!

dlr25
04-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I have found the restaurants at WDW to be very accomodating and helpful with our food allergies. The big difference, however, is that you won't be with your kids. I would not take the chance. There is so much to do that is fun so I would skip the tea party and the pirate cruise for highly allergic children. The staff changes at these events and since you won't be with your child, you won't be able to judge how well they will handle the allergy and any possible reaction. I feel the same way about the kids club. I'm sorry to be the negative voice here but I think there is a slight risk - maybe even a miniscule risk - and it's not worth it.

zillow
04-15-2004, 08:09 PM
I too have a tree nut and peanut allergic daughter (not to mention shellfish) and have found the Disney restaurants to be exceptional in accomodating her. I haven't left her at the clubs yet but will likely try the Cub's Den on our next trip depending on how confident I feel in the staff's ability to handle the situation and also dependent upon my staying in the immediate vicinity (we'd probably be at Artist Point). That being said, her peanut allergy is moderate (tree nut is severe) and she has never reacted to peanut before so at the moment she is not ultra-sensitive. Depending on the sensitivity of your son's allergy, you need to make the decision that you're comfortable with. My gut tells me that the staff is likely trained but I would speak to the manager before venturing into the situation. My daughter was signed up for the Adventures in Cooking program (she chose not to go at the last minute) and after several phone calls, I did get to speak with the right people who assurred me of her safety. I don't think that I would attempt the pirate's cruise if the other children were still having peanut butter - emergency transportation would be too far away for comfort - again dependent on the sensitivity. Best of luck to you. I'm having ulcers just thinking about her going on the school bus to kindergarten next year...

Carol

lenshanem
04-16-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm having ulcers just thinking about her going on the school bus to kindergarten next year...

Funny you say this,
My daughter is in Kindergarten now and I was a nervous wreck last year waiting for the dreaded day she started!

I actually planned everything out with the school the year before so during planning week we were able to just go over everything and the nurse trained them on the EpiPens. I have been very fortunate, another woman in my same county has had a time with her son's school.

I was told they wouldn't allow an EpiPen on the bus so I drove her to school and picked her up each day. Come mid year she was having a fit cause she was the only one in her class that didn't ride the bus. (And I think her teacher was getting tired of waiting at the pick up line every afternoon.) Finally her teacher and I walked down to the bus and talked with her driver. I gave her a spare EpiPen she keeps on her personally (The county won't let my daughter transport her own right now, but the teachers do pass around a fanny pack during the day.) and the driver was fine about it. My daughter sits with our neighbor each day and I was impressed when I saw the driver tell a little girl she couldn't bring her sucker on board! It still worries me, but I only let her ride in the afternoon and our neighborhood is the first stop.
Good luck next year!

Back to the original topic, I'm going to still keep trying to contact someone and I'll wait until we get there and speak to the staff. Gut here - if they act nonchalant, we'll leave. If they act concerned and listen then I'll use my best judgment. If it doesn't work out, we'll just hop on the monorail and cruise on over to MK. From past experiences I think Disney is pretty up on these things, I'm sure we won't be the first to have an allergy. I want my daughter to enjoy life, I don't want to instill my fears into her. I still plan on keeping this ressie and I'll wait to hear from someone and to check out the surroundings before I make a final decision.

mbw12
04-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by lenshanem
mbw12, I remember you telling me about your daughter and the tea party. It is actually one of the reasons I got the nerve to go for it! Do you recall who you called and how you got in touch with them? Did you call the day before and the day of, too?

Thanks!

When I made the original PS, I told them about it. They gave me a different number to call the day before. (but being the neurotic one that I am, I did call that number numerous times). I also called the day before (as I was originally requested) and they told me that they had it noted and were all prepared for her! On the day of arrival, when checking in at the podium, I again mentioned it.....they looked at our PS and said that Yes it was noted. They instructed me that when they let the children go in, I should seek out Bobbi (which just happens to be my name! And was also the same woman earlier in the day that I dealt with about my son's food allergy on the Pirate cruise!) When they finally let the girls into the restaurant, all the girls sort of just go in and sit at the main table and pick their own seats. I approached Bobbi and told her who my daughter was and that I was told to ask for her, becasue of my daughters food allergy....she said "oh yes, this must be Regan.....we have a very special sit picked out for you!" She took my daugher by the hand and led her to a chair next to one of the end chairs. Lo and behold.....my daughter was sitting right next to Alice! It certainly made her day....and made a nervous Mommy much more comfortable about leaving her.
I have to say that Bobbi was absolutely wonderful with both my kids that day (on two different excursions!) She reassured me repeatedly that they deal with this alot, and try to take extra special care of children with the allergies.

lenshanem
04-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks mbw12.

Last time we ate at the 1900 PF character breakfast Alice asked my daughters if they were going to come to her tea party later that day.
:rolleyes:
Thanks Alice! LOL

My daughter is very excited about this, I hate to keep her from it cause of my fears. I will keep this ressie and go with my gut after I talk and see everyone.
I'm gonna try that number again and see if I can just verify with someone. I'll also call them several times I'm sure prior to it!

My hubby and I will be eating at the Cafe that same time so we'll be near by. Don't they give you a pager?

mbw12
04-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by lenshanem
Thanks mbw12.

!

My hubby and I will be eating at the Cafe that same time so we'll be near by. Don't they give you a pager?

Yes, they do.