View Full Version : thinking of buying ssr
steve and julie
04-14-2004, 03:10 PM
I have reserved a price of $89 per point to purchase ssr.
If I buy before May 5 they will drop the price to $84 a point and if I sell back my first years points they would offer it at $79 a point.
If I take the $84 offer and sell my first years points on the rent/transfer sight for $10 to $12 point That would make my final cost around $72 to $74.
second if I am going to buy 300 points, is it wise to purchase 2 150 piont contracts, both with the same use year. This gives me more flexability to transfer to family or sell in the future.
please post pros and cons to my ideas.
04-14-2004, 03:35 PM
I'll give my opinion and the reasons why for the second question on 1 or 2 contracts.
I say 2 @ 150 points each instead of 1 @ 300 points
1) Should you wish to sell, you could then sell just one or both.
2) Should you have 2 kids, like me, you could will one to each.
3) Should you, hopefully not, ever divorce, also like me, you could each keep one of the 2 contracts if you wished to or sell both.
4) I would put one in each of your names, see #3, believe me I never thought it would happen to me either and not my choice.
04-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Ironically, my wife and I bought 300 pts. at SSR yesterday - our first DVC purchase (after loosing out on two resales, we got frustrated and purchased direct from Disney).
We took advantage of the $84/point deal and did so with two 150 point contracts. We plan on giving one to each child. Also, if we ever need to sell, from my experience in watching the DVC resale boards, smaller contracts seem to go a bit faster than larger ones - and for a little more money.
My advice: purchase two 150 point contracts.
1 - Since both will be under the same use year, they will be tied to the same membership number - so it will function identically to a single 300 point contract.
2 - Like I said earlier, easier to sell (or give to your children as my wife and I will do) in the future.
If you talk to your guide, they will probably agree with the benifits and offer you more info.
I would, however, like to know of any disadvantages.... I'm not aware of any. Just be sure the two contracts are for the same resort (which they will be) and for the same use year.
04-14-2004, 03:39 PM
I bought at the $79/pt rate giving back my 2004 points. I bought a 150 pt contract and then a 100 pt contract at SSR. I do think getting two smaller is better than 300. I am also looking for more BCV to add to my 50. I have 4 kids and would like to give them 150 each ONE day.
So plan for the future when you make the purchases after you make your decision to buy!
04-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Our extended family bought a big hunk of SSR points with the intention of splitting them amongst ourselves in the coming year. (Had to do it this way because some family members lived in California and couldn't buy their share of the points directly from Disney because SSR was not yet licensed/approved in California. So one family member bought all of the points for us and we will divide them up after the contracts close and the titles record in June). Our DVC guide specifically recommended buying separate contracts for each set of points that we eventually wanted to "spin off" or transfer to a particular family member. And, as an attorney, I totally agreed with him that this would be much easier. So, I would recommend that to others as well. I think you are on the right track. You'll probably save yourself many headaches this way.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.