PDA

View Full Version : Does Seaworld have wheelchairs available?

Cora
03-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Hi,
My son was recently diagnosed with a heel problem (he will outgrow it in 2-3 years but in the meantime we need to deal with it). Does anyone know if SW has wheelchairs available, rental or otherwise? Do you have to reserve in advance? His problem is the longer he is on his foot the more painful. So he could be ok all morning then later need it. He would probably need to use in line too (if it gets real bad). Any thoughts?
Thanks
Cora

RobinMarie
03-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Yes, they had manual and automatic wheelchairs, along with strollers, available for rent. We used a manual wheelchair last November for my father who is heat sensitive. I believe the cost was 8.00?

HTH!

RabFlmom
03-31-2004, 05:36 PM
<<<<His problem is the longer he is on his foot the more painful. So he could be ok all morning then later need it. He would probably need to use in line too (if it gets real bad). Any thoughts?

I think I would get the chair in the morning and let him ride so that he doesn't end up in pain later in the day.

You really don't have to worry about lines at Sea world. There just aren't many of them. The 2 rides and Artic Adventure are about the only ones you see except for maybe the food line at the Smokehouse or the lines to buy fish to feed to the animals. There are no lines for any of the shows you just walk right in the stadium and find your seat. The park is spread out and you do do a lot of walking to see it all.

SueM in MN
04-01-2004, 04:45 PM
The things that many people call automatic wheelchair are really ecvs or scooters (Different than power wheelchairs, which are driven with a joystick and are not rented in any parks). Children under 18 are not allowed to drive rented ecvs.
If it's a small child (like under 12) , a stroller would probably be more comfortable. Most of the wheelchairs for rent are adult size. This means the armrests are up between chest and shoulder height, the seat is too deep so the child either has to sit forward in the chair so that their knees can bend (which is tiring for the back) or sit back in the seat (which means their legs are sticking straight out in front.

Cora
04-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks so much for all the great info. We heard from his Dr today and she thought having the wc would be a good idea in case his foot fatigues/pains in the afternoon. I think we'll be renting offsite so we'll have the chair when we leave the parks and I am assuming I will be able to get a size appropriate chair. I'm going to call the places indicated here in other postings on the DIS. I assume these companies will be able to assist me in making the right decision.

Thanks...Cora