PDA

View Full Version : Anybody's dds age 9 wear Princess costumes to dinner?

Mom2Belle&PeterPan
03-20-2004, 05:30 PM
My dd age 9 is on her last legs of wearing Disney Princess costumes and has Pochohontas and Jasmine costumes that she wore for Halloween. Dd is a sociable, happy girl who likes to have fun. But, I read an earlier post that someone else's dd who is 9 years old is past the age of dressing in costumes.

Anybody with a 9 year old dd who still wore a princess costume on the cruise?

TIA!

Barbaraprincess:

SweetSpot
03-20-2004, 05:42 PM
My DD was 8 (a very tall 8) and wanted to wear her Cinderella gown for fomal night. She didn't wear it that night but she wore it to semi formal and would have worn a different costume every night if we brought them. I'm sure she'll be wearing them on the next cruise when she is 9.

You only get to be a little princess for a short time in life. On the cruise you don't know anyone and even if you did we are all Disney fanatics who's going to judge you. Let her do what she feels comfortable doing.

Mom2Belle&PeterPan
03-20-2004, 05:49 PM
I appreciate the time you took to respond, and your reassurance! We'll bring the costumes and let her choose, but I'm certain she'll choose to wear them! They are only children once!

Thanks again!

Barbara

Sabor
03-20-2004, 05:52 PM
My DD 8 wore hers along with my DD5 to both formal and semi foraml dinners . Also to tea with Wendy darling.

Let her do what she feels comfortable with.
Afterall its her vacation too.

jwann
03-20-2004, 06:43 PM
We saw LOTS of little princesses at the dinners - they were SO cute!!

lbgraves
03-20-2004, 07:15 PM
I think we should let them enjoy the Magic as long as they want to. ::MickeyMo Some kids grow up faster than others in this respect, but I hope that my kids continue to want to dress up and pretend as long as possible.

clh2
03-20-2004, 10:40 PM
There was NO WAY my DD was going to wear a costume. No way, no how. She was 9 1/2 when we went on the cruise. So, I didn't even push the issue.

My daughter greeted each "mini" princess or "mini" Minnie that we saw in the hallways or in the elevators. The "mini's" that we came across really liked the attention! But, unfortunately (for me) DD wouldn't wear a costume. Sigh...

neverlandclub
03-21-2004, 12:04 PM
I guess I am happy that my 9yr DD still dresses up. We have a princess tea party each year with her friends. One of the highlights of the cruise is being a princess on formal nights. Thanks to our large collection of costumes, DD age4 dresses up every night!
princess:

westjones
03-21-2004, 12:51 PM
My twin DDs wore princess dresses last year on their 10th birthday on the cruise. They loved it! It got them a LOT of attention. One was Cinderella and one was Belle.

If your daughter wants to wear it, let her. Too many kids think they have to grow up so fast these days. This year, they won't be wearing the dresses (turning 11 on the cruise). I knew last year it was our 'last time' and I cherished every moment of watching my daughters enjoy their last time dressing up as princesses! I have a beautiful picture that the ship photographer took of them that night.

Enjoy!
DJ

CheapMom
03-21-2004, 03:07 PM
This thread makes me sad. I have an 8 year old who will turn 9 just before we cruise. I have the feeling she won't want to dress up princess style. I am going to ask her if she wants to anyway. I am hoping she will surprise me and want to do it. She looks like Snow White and would be so cute in that dress.
My son on the other hand, age 7, wants to bring his pirate costume and wear it every day!
http://www.angelfire.com/magic/mom/snowhitebee.jpg
4 years ago- time flies:<

Mom2Belle&PeterPan
03-21-2004, 03:33 PM
I really appreciate everyone's input! I will bring dd's costumes and I do believe she'll dress up. She still does at home with her friends. Here's to the magic of Disney for all of us, especially for our dear children!

Barbara::MinnieMo

2xcruiser
03-24-2004, 04:43 PM
We just returned from a 4 day on the Wonder in early March '04. We saw countless princesses of all ages every night at dinner - up to 12 years old I would guess. They were darling in their costumes - especially the sailor Minnie outfit sold in the giftshop - this was very popular and very cute.

I have an 8 year old daughter who loves to dress up - she had a ball in her Cinderalla costume, and the characters made a big fuss over her both times she wore it. She understands that the characters aren't "real", but she got very excited every time we saw them (which was often) - I think that's the true definition of "real" anyway - I think the DCL atmosphere has a way of making them want to stay young a little longer.

I realize you can't push her to do it (as this will ensure she won't if she's anything like my girl), but try to encourage her - if she says no ahead of time, pack it anyway - once she sees the others dressed up, she'll be happy you did.

Nysie
03-28-2004, 11:13 AM
My oldest dd will be 11 on our up-coming cruise in July. She would still be happy to dress up! She is the type of person that has fun, and doesn't care about what others think!

CheapMom
03-28-2004, 02:36 PM
I am pleased to report that when I asked my daughter if she liked the idea of dressing up as a princess on the ship she surprised me with an enthusiastic 'yes'! She loves to dress up at home but I really thought she would be against it in public. They grow up so fast, this makes me happy

***tink386
03-28-2004, 11:40 PM
My DD is 9 and just saved her allowance up to buy a princess dress up dress. It's such great fun!! Take lots of pictures and enjoy every minute. I'm sure both you and your DD will look back at them with fondness!:smooth: :hyper: :tongue: :wave: princess: princess: princess:

PizzieDuster
03-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Mom2Belle&PeterPan
My dd age 9 is on her last legs of wearing Disney Princess costumes and has Pochohontas and Jasmine costumes that she wore for Halloween. Dd is a sociable, happy girl who likes to have fun. But, I read an earlier post that someone else's dd who is 9 years old is past the age of dressing in costumes.

Anybody with a 9 year old dd who still wore a princess costume on the cruise?

TIA!

Barbaraprincess:

Your post brought a huge smile to my face. Last year when we sailed on a 4 day, coming from WDW, my DD4 was obsessed with her princess dresses and her Minnie dress.

I purchased wonderful dresses for her to wear to dinner each night. You know what she wore the first night AND second night? Her Minnie dress and Minnie shoes. The third night she wore Belle's dress we bought her on board. The last night, we were at Palos and she had room service. But guess what she wanted to wear when she went to the club? Yup, Belle's dress.

Your daughter will NOT be alone! If she likes to wear the costumes what better place to do it! Because all the girls do and they get so much attention!

MarkRG
03-29-2004, 07:20 AM
After spending the day in a very affluent mall over the weekend, I would comment on this a teeny bit.

Be VERY glad your kids still want to be kids and not Britney Spears clones. Treasure every minute of this time of childish fun and innocence. It will be gone all too soon.

SweetSpot
03-29-2004, 07:33 AM
I think we would see more little princesses if it were possible to get the costumes in larger sizes. My DD8 loves to dress up and is so in love with everything Disney. It's almost impossible to find the princess or Disney clothes that fit her anymore. She is really tall and Disney stops making most of their girl clothes at 10/12. If any Disney execs do read this board I hope they take this into consideration. Some of us would love to have our DD's stay princesses longer and as far away from the Britney look as we can get.

CheapMom
03-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Be VERY glad your kids still want to be kids and not Britney Spears clones.
I feel very lucky- the other day my dd and I were selecting chapter books to buy for her to read over spring break and I suggested a Mary Kate and Ashley adventure. Her reply was "I don't like them anymore because they try to be like 'sexy' now" I was so surprised. She ended up choosing a Lizzie McGuire, an American Girl book, and of course everyone's favorite CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS.
Lizzie is great because she is cool but sweet and innocent.

CheapMom
03-30-2004, 06:41 AM
Where is the best place to get these costumes- the last time I was in Disney Store they had a limited selection of medium quality dresses. - I remember beautiful ones at WDW.

SweetSpot
03-30-2004, 07:14 AM
BJ's usually has beautiful, inexpensive, very well made princess dresses for Halloween. They start selling them end of August beginning of September. You can also get good deals at Disney's ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Disney-Deals-direct-from-Disney

CheapMom
03-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the tip about BJs. I will keep my eyes peeled. My daughter's birthday is Halloween so we often get a dress up item as a gift.

big jack 2002
03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
JoAnn's Fabric Store sells princess dresses at Halloween time. If you are on their mailing list, you usually get a 40% off coupon. We got our granddaughter a beautiful Belle dress last year and saved it for Christmas. She loves to play dress-up!!

LindaBabe
03-30-2004, 09:07 PM
or Minnie dresses in size 20, I'd be first in line to buy one! I can't even find Minnie SHOES to fit me! (I'm 56 and look more like Ursula, but I'd love to wear Minnie):earsgirl:

westjones
03-30-2004, 09:11 PM
LindaBabe,
Do you get the Disney Catalog? At Halloween time they have adult costumes and I am pretty sure they had Minnie! I really thought about getting the adult Belle dress, but just couldn't bring myself to do it princess: .

DJ

aprilgail2
03-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by CheapMom
Thanks for the tip about BJs. I will keep my eyes peeled. My daughter's birthday is Halloween so we often get a dress up item as a gift.

I bought my daughter a really nice cinderella dress at the Disney store, the crown and shoes...well she tried the dress on and HATED the feel of that meshy type fabric they have on her skin...its sat in the closet since halloween...I just took it out today with the crown adn shoes and I am going to list it on ebay..hopefully someone will buy it becuase no way will she wear it. I was looking forward to her wearing it on our cruise like lasttime but all the costumes i see now have that same material on them.

CheapMom
04-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by SweetSpot
I think we would see more little princesses if it were possible to get the costumes in larger sizes. My DD8 loves to dress up and is so in love with everything Disney. It's almost impossible to find the princess or Disney clothes that fit her anymore. She is really tall and Disney stops making most of their girl clothes at 10/12.
FYI- my daughter is 8 and very big for age (4 ft 8 in tall- She wears clothes that are size 10 or 12- usually size 10 pants are too small in the waist for her)
and the 7/10 size fits her perfectly. This is the dress
http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/14/0f/4a_1.JPG
They also have Belle, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty