PDA

View Full Version : When do you start packing?

lillygator
03-18-2004, 10:01 AM
I pulled out one bag last night and thought I may go ahead and get the toiletries and stuff in there.......(too far ahead of the game I know)....

when do you all start packing?

BoardwalkBabe
03-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I am going to start packing some items today. I have a heavy work schedule between now and the trip, so I have to make the most of my days off and finish the final errands, find that SafeSea stuff and look for a dress to wear on formal night!

Mickeyhugger
03-18-2004, 10:10 AM
DH likes to be organized, so he starts trying to pack 3 days early. My only problem w/that (especially in warm weather) is most of the shorts and tops I wear on the cruise, I'm still wearing up until the day before I leave. I will pack the dinner clothes early though.:D

mamo-4-wdw
03-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I started packing as soon as we booked ( Feb)the DCL Western for 7 days Sept 24,2004. I would buy something for the trip each week like shampoo or the over the door shoe organizer,etc and put away in the suitcase. Then when summer clothes go on sale in July I will get our clothes,sandles,swim stuff.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

plutojudy
03-18-2004, 10:18 AM
We started a few weeks ago. As we buy cruise items we put them in our luggage and then repack when it is cruise time. When we return home I have a storage container where I put cruise items away so they are ready to cruise again. Such as lanyards, bottle straps, extension cord, night lights, sea bands, etc.

jrabbit
03-18-2004, 10:20 AM
At about 1 month before leaving, DW has all clothes accounted for. At the two week mark, no more wearing the clothes that will be going on the trip. Two days before leaving all clothes into the suitcases and as much of the toiletries as possible. It's a bit insane, but if we vary that schedule to much, she goes nuts and can't sleep, relax and drives the rest of the family crazy until everything is packed. So we know to just go with the flow.

EmmasGrammy
03-18-2004, 10:24 AM
I start packing the day I make my reservations, usually a year and 1/2 out!!

I drive my family NUTS!!!!

When our girls were little, I would buy "vacation" clothes for their b-days, easter baskets and Christmas and as soon as they looked at them, I would say, "Give those here. They are going in the suitcases."

Through out the year I pick up the things we need alittle at a time and pack them as I buy them. Then I'm not forced to use "vacation" $$ for shampoo, razors, socks, etc.

mrsfuzzmo
03-18-2004, 10:25 AM
We leave in 8 days. Haven't started yet! I will probably actually pack about 2 days before, though I have started my "vacation pile" in the spare bedroom. I think I've got everything I need in the way of toiletries and such, and I have purchased new shorts and t-shirts, but still need a couple of things. So, to answer your question, about 2-3 days prior.

Mrsfuzzmo

LindaBabe
03-18-2004, 11:29 AM
and Sunday for 4 day cruise.

I started "staging" potential outfits on the shower rod in the spare bathroom about a month ago which enabled me to see the gaps. Then I went shopping.

Sunday, I sat down with my planning spreadsheet and penciled in an outfit/shoes for each activity (or non-activity) - found I needed fewer garments than I had out, so I removed - oh almost HALF! I couldn't believe it :rolleyes: - and then packed.

Tomorrow morning, I'll throw in the last of the toiletries, and out the door! CAN'T WAIT! :Pinkbounc

dcbrown
03-18-2004, 11:34 AM
On "snow days"! and we have had alot of them!!! Being surrounded by the annoying "white stuff"...all you want to see is the sun and ask "where's the rum!!"

DCBrown:Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc :smooth: :Pinkbounc pirate:

DMS_cruisers04
03-18-2004, 11:39 AM
About two weeks out. Especially toiletries and accessories. Start the 'important papers' folder and get the cameras ready. Decide what clothes I want to take, decide what to take for DD and get an idea from DW. Anything we won't use goes into the luggage and everything else gets written down somewhere. Final stages usually 2 nights before, and the night before and the morning of, always seem to find something else that needs to go in a case somewhere.

And a quick packing tip, especially for 1st timers: if you do start packing early, remember that if you buy anything new to take with you, unpack something you've already packed. Overpacking is the worst. You never have enough room for souvenirs.

jel0511
03-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Usually the day before, and no earlier. I'm a pretty efficient packer and can pack our entire family of four in about an hour. I just go tothe appropriate drawers in everyone's room and pull out what is needed and drop it into the suitcase. Formal wear has been picked/bought before, so that's just grabbing out of the closet. I don't bring a lot of shoes, just a nice pair for dinner and sandals during the day. I wear my sneakers on the plane, as does everyone else. Toiletries are packed either right before going to bed, but usually the morning of. I just grab everything I need out of the shower, or if I bought new, that was thrown in the night before.

TexasTrudy
04-22-2004, 10:23 AM
As soon as the cruise was paid in full!

jrabbit
04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
DW started packing a couple of months ago. We leave in October!

ldb1030
04-22-2004, 11:11 AM
I pack EARLY! Keep putting things in and take WAY too much!:daisy:

herrbeeb
04-22-2004, 11:26 AM
i'm glad someone else uses the word "staging". i use our library as a staging area about 2 weeks before we leave. the library has a door so the dog can't interfere. dinner clothes and shoes go first, then casual attire and last toiletries. this year we are leaving on friday night so i am packing a separate carry-on for sat travel to the ship.

i have warned my family several times that we will be taking a lot less because, in part, we didin't wear all the clothes we brought last year and, in part, because we are spending 2 days at disney post-cruise. i am not doing laundry.

CAMICKEY
04-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm going to start packing one week out. That will still allow me time to buy other things if needed. - Mike

traycie2201
04-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Hmm, me thinks i pack too early , like other posters i started the day i booked, just the little things you know but it's part of the excitement for me.

:cheer2:

mshuck
04-22-2004, 01:25 PM
We went on a cruise shopping spree 2 weeks ago and I have folded and put away all of our clothes for packing. My DH is so tired of hearing about the cruise and WDW! I guess one of us has to be held down to reality:Pinkbounc
Thanks to all of you who are so gracious with your repeated info to us first timers. YOU ARE GREAT!:wave2:

staylor
04-22-2004, 02:35 PM
We pack the night before we leave. I know it sounds nuts but we've been on 5 cruises now (not all DCL) and I am in the travel industry. Therefore, packing is no big deal.

lilkitty819
04-22-2004, 03:19 PM
I usually go on vacation in Nov. So as soon as it start's to get cool....I figure why not pack the summer clothes instead of boxing them away ....:cat:

musicgirl
04-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Let's see, I think we booked in July, so I guess I started in......July!!!

I use a wicker chest to store stuff in. I packed all the things from our last cruise that I knew I wouldn't be using like my Hawaiian outfit. Then, I hit the end of the summer sales and just put everything in the chest. I do this for my ds and myself and even a little for dh (Hawaiian shirts).

Now, I just have to take out half before I pack!

8 Ears
04-22-2004, 05:39 PM
:wave: We sail in December, 2004. I have already started packing. No better time than the present. :jumping1: Oh, did I say this is our first cruise, ever!!:teeth: 200+ more days, what the heck is December waiting for, chop, chop, let's go.

tigger53
04-22-2004, 07:07 PM
i've been packing since we came home from the last trip. today i went out an updated all our travel medicines and things like that. i love it. makes me think the trip is sooner.:moped: :scratchin :cat:

scrapperjill
04-23-2004, 02:32 AM
I don't have anything to add about when to start packing. I was also wondering when to start. Right nowI just have a couple more questions that sort of fit into your topic of packing so I thought maybe someone here could help out. I see alot of people talking about getting things here and there as time goes by and putting them aside for the trip...things like the over the door holder and toothpaste...I have decided to start gathering thing also, but when I go out to get something I'm stumped at what I need to get. Can anyone give me some sort of list of thing that might be needed?

The way I figure is if I get things here and there the cost will be more hidden (I can imagine how they can/will add up)

MariettaC
04-23-2004, 04:28 AM
I start thinking about what I'm going to take months before our trip. The other day I started to make that all important list of "don't forget to take" items. This weekend I am returning a very large duffle bag I bought for something more reasonable. I'm concerned about where to store it in a Cat. 11 cabin. Anyway, once I have my luggage question answered I will start throwing things into the suitcase. Then a few days before we leave I'll have to empty that suitcase and repack so things are exactly where they should be. It's all part of the excitement building up to our cruise!:jumping1:

taylorsmom
04-23-2004, 09:17 AM
You guys are so organized!! I purchase things about a month before we leave but I don't start packing until the day before we leave!!!! I guess I work better under stress. Speaking of which I better go START packing since we are leaving tomorrow. Wish me luck::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

musicgirl
04-23-2004, 06:12 PM
MariettaC,

We were in Cat.11 and we used underneath the bed and one side of the bed for our large suitcase.

Of course the over the door shoeholder was great. I'm actually thinking about getting a 2nd for the other side of the door to use for our shoes!! Gee...what an original thought, shoes in the shoe hanger!

I didn't feel like space was a problem. Now, this was on a 3-night so I may have to come up with a different battle plan for the 7.

Have fun! Lorie :tongue: