PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations?...

nswift
03-18-2004, 09:50 AM
GANURSE posted thread about reading on the boat ...So any good read recommendations?
I am so looking forward to being able to read without guilt. Usually while there are so many things I should be doing instead of relaxing with a book. I think those deck 4 chairs are calling me...

So let me know your favorite books...
NSwift

The4OfUs
03-18-2004, 09:58 AM
- The Five People You Meet In Heaven..Mitch Albom (sp?) - that was a very quick but very insightful and touching book.

- Wild Swans, by Jung Chen...a non fiction about three generations of chinese women, starting with the concubine of a warlord, who had a daughter who became deeply ingrained in the communist party, to HER daughter who grew up with the atrocities the country went through in the 60s and 70s and finally was allowed to go to the West, she lives in London now. Somewhat tough to get through (rough descriptions of their lives and living conditions and the fear they were constantly under), but VERY eye opening...

- Pompeii by Robert Harris - reading this now, an action/adventure/historical setting, the 2 days before the eruption of Mt. Vesuvious. Romantic twist as well, but it's very fast paced and enjoyable...you watch, this one will be made into a movie.

- Da Vinci Code - again, VERY fast paced, it's hard to put down. Also very thought provoking in what it presents, it inspired me to learn about many things including more about religion and art!

Those are some that popped into my head...don't know if they interest you at all. :) Enjoy your cruise! I am a book addict (seriously, I read one, and I have another going on audiobook, on my iPod, that I listen to as I drive to and from work..right now that is "Black House" by Stephen King, as I read Pompeii in hardcover) but I did not have a second to read except on the plane...I didn't miss it though! :)

crisi
03-18-2004, 10:08 AM
What do you enjoy? Are you a "love a trashy novel" person or a "sex is shocking" person? What something light, or a in depth critique of politics (and in that case are you liberal or conservative)? Like the classics, want to read what everyone else is reading, or want to read something no one has ever heard of. Like Science Fiction/Fantasy/Mysteries/Romance? Want an easy read or a challenging one. Want something a few hundred pages you can finish on the cruise, or eight hundred pages? Something out in paperback easy to tote in your daybag (DaVinci Code is rather heavy to be lugging around, IMO).

The book I read onboard was "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister." Enjoyed it.

I started "House of Mirth" onboard Excellent book, but depressing as all get out. Not great cruise reading, IMHO.

Every year I reread To Kill a Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice and Possession.

plutojudy
03-18-2004, 10:11 AM
I love all of Janet Evanovich's books. They are great, fun cruise and beach books.
Olivia Goldsmith's books are also good. She has a geed sense of humor also.
Sue Grafton, Stuart Woods, Stephen White, James Patterson (except the books with flying children), Patricia Cornwell,
Nelson DeMille, John Grisham, Sara Paretsky, and Kathy Reich are other favorite authors of mine. Not all are light reading for vacations.

tkd lisa
03-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Plutojudy, we have very similar taste in books (except Nelson DeMille, I can't get into him).

Some other suggestions in different venues. Note that I read very fast, so for a book to take on a 7 day cruise, I'm going to pick a long one.

Jean Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear series, all available in paperback now)
Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series, very alternate world but not really science fiction)
Anything by Anne McCafferty, but my favorite are the Dragons of Pern series. Her Acorna (unicorn) series is pretty good too.
I personally like the traditional Tom Clancy books (Jack Ryan for president!), but not the OpCenter ones.
Mercedes Lackey has a series about elves that's light reading, and not way out science fiction. Can't remember the order, but some titles include Bedlam's Bard, and Spirits White as Lightning.
I also really enjoyed the Left Behind Series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. Jerry Jenkins also wrote a secular book I enjoyed called something like The Youngest Hero, about a kid who played major league baseball at something like 16 years old.

Hope this helps (just in case you wondered, yes, My name is Lisa S. and I'm addicted to books!)

tkd lisa
03-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Oops, forgot a whole other category. Mysteries! Mary Higgins Clark has some great, fast reading mysteries (the flying children reminded me of her book "Where are the children", which is the first one I read of hers.) Great mysteries, about 160 pages apiece.
Sharyn McCrumb writes mystery based novels set usually in the rural applachians. Some particularly good ones include "If I'd a killed him when I met him, I'd be out by now", "The songcatcher" and "she walks these hills".
Dick Francis writes mysteries based around the English horse racing community.
Sandra Brown for romantic suspense.
Hmmm, I suppose I should stop now, huh?

The4OfUs
03-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by tkd lisa

Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series, very alternate world but not really science fiction)

Whoo hoo! Have you enjoyed the first one (New Spring) yet? I had read the small story he included in a book called "Legends", and he took that story and expounded on it, and I have to say that this is my ABSOLUTE favorite as of now - goes into the whole testing for the shawl, and explains Moiraine and Siuan's friendship in a HUGE way. I'm only up to book 7, but I already own the whole series.

nswift
03-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks so much for the replies.
To answer your question--yep I 'love a trashy novel', not 'sex is shocking person'. Love historical romance, England, Ireland, Scottland settings. I also love mysteries, espionage, things with twist and turns.
Just bought the DaVinci Code, but would rather bring a paperback on the cruise.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep'em coming :-)
Nswift
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

The4OfUs
03-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by nswift
Thanks so much for the replies.
To answer your question--yep I 'love a trashy novel', not 'sex is shocking person'. Love historical romance, England, Ireland, Scottland settings. I also love mysteries, espionage, things with twist and turns.

OMG! If that's the case, then "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon, and the rest of the series that follows, is a MUST!!! Time travel/historical fiction/Scotland, England, Jamaica, USA, it's got it all...and it's got *happy sigh* Jaime Fraser...the YUMMIEST hero I've ever come across. Nothing like a Highlander in the 1700s to get you interested, let me tell you...

tkd lisa
03-18-2004, 12:34 PM
The 4of us, yes I have read the spring, and also read it in the anthology first (I'm telling you, our reading habits are very similar!). If I remember right, Anne McCafferty had a short story about a runner girl in that same anthology.

My 10 year old DS is reading some of the Wheel of Time now, but we've gotten him the ones that are broken up into two stories per book. He really fell for the Pendragon books and is heartbroken that the next one isn't due out until July. He's reading Neverending Story right now.

crisi
03-18-2004, 12:40 PM
If you are up for a little challenge A.S. Byatt's Possession. Mystery, Historical Romance, English Victorian Poets. But not easy.

If you've never read Rebecca - the Daphne du Marier novel - you'd probably like it.

Bridget Jones Diary - if you haven't read it you'll probably love it or hate it.

All in paperback.

sjcubedofct
03-18-2004, 12:43 PM
The4ofus, you are so right on! I've read the series, can't wait for A Breath of Snow and Ashes!! In the meantime, I've listened to them on tape, too.... you've not experienced Jamie Frasier until you've HEARD that accent... yum.

If you've read the Outlander books, you may consider the Lord John book, and several associated books. Diana Gabaldon's website is here: http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/gabaldon.html

DaVinci Code
Five People...
Lovely Bones
Theory of Relativity
Shop Girl by Steve Martin (better on cassette, read by Steve Martin!)
Mystic River (better than the movie!!)
Shutter Island
Harry Potter series (it's not just for kids! it's very clever writing)
Master & Commander
White Crosses
The Left Behind Series( for those interested in the coming Rapture)

Anything by:
Kathy Reich
Patricia Cornwall
Orson Scott Card (for science fiction buffs)

I'll add more as I think of them!

SJ

The4OfUs
03-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by crisi
If you've never read Rebecca - the Daphne du Marier novel - you'd probably like it.

Wow, you guys are all on the same wavelength as me, that's my all time favorite. There is a "second" book to that, Rebecca's Story, which is quite interesting...written partially from Rebecca's point of view. That was a fun (and quick) read.

Looks like we need a book club forum! ;)

jrabbit
03-18-2004, 12:46 PM
On our cruise last summer, the latest Harry Potter book had just come out and I have never seen so many people (adults and children) reading!! It's a good thing. There were some family tiffs because of the book - some people were having a hard time sharing:p The only problem with that book is that it is huge!!

The4OfUs
03-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sjcubedofct
The4ofus, you are so right on! I've read the series, can't wait for A Breath of Snow and Ashes!! In the meantime, I've listened to them on tape, too.... you've not experienced Jamie Frasier until you've HEARD that accent... yum.

If you've read the Outlander books, you may consider the Lord John book, and several associated books. Diana Gabaldon's website is here: http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/gabaldon.html
SJ

How FUNNY...the anthology book I noted up there *points up in the thread* called Legends..there's a new one out and it includes another Lord John story by Gabaldon. I'm waiting for the paperback tho, unless I earn more Amazon gift certificates and will treat myself. I also have "Hellfire" in .pdf, did you ever get that? If not let me know and I can email it to you, it's hard to find....

Yes, folks, once you start those books, it's an addiction.... *sigh* A good one tho!

Interesting that you say Lovely Bones...I read that and expected to be really into it, and didn't get a thing out of it. This from the chick that sobs at Maxwell House commercials around Xmastime... *grin* (You know the one...the son returns home from college early in the morning, starts coffee, mom and dad come down the stairs unknowingly...gets me every time).

How about another of my all time favorites...'The Red Tent' by Anita Diamonte...based on a woman mentioned once in the bible, it was EXTRAORDINARY. Anyone interested in how women bond and the things that tie us together, that's the book for you.

As for Harry Potter, I just read there should be more with an adult Harry! :)

How about the new one, written by a teenager starting when he was FIFTEEN - if you like Harry Potter/LoTR type stuff, you'll really get into it...Eragon I think it's called??

tkd lisa
03-18-2004, 03:52 PM
I tried to get my son into Eragon, and he didn't like it. The Pendragon series by MacHale, he loves though.

I just picked up that 2nd anthology at the library yesterday. Haven't started it yet though.

Honestly, I buy very few books for me (now the kids, that's a different story). The library knows me by name though!

sjcubedofct
03-18-2004, 04:14 PM
My daily commute is long enough that I am able to really enjoy books on tape, so I've listened to many books that I probably would not have read/enjoyed in text. Lovely Bones is likely one of them- but the voice of the young woman reading the story is absolutely spellbinding.

The Red Tent was phenomenal, too! A great read.

And I don't buy books anymore... the library really keeps up to date with thier purchases, so I'm spolied. Plus, my girlfriend is the librarian, so often she reserves books for me that I didn't know I wanted to read!

The Oath by Frank Peretti is also good, and available in paperback.

Tandyc
03-18-2004, 04:19 PM
I can only say this entire thread has been an education. I have cut and pasted almost the every word.

Thank you so much for all this excellent info. Many of the books mentioned are favorites of mine. I can't wait to get to the library/store to check out the others.

Thanks again!

rw2dodge
03-18-2004, 06:44 PM
My recommendations are:

"The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. A easy read and a WONDERful story.

Also my all time FAVORITE is Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. If you do read this book make sure you have a box of tissues nearby.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

carole88
03-18-2004, 07:04 PM
I agree with R2dodge. Suzanne's Diary For Nicholas was wonderful and you do need a box of tissues. This was the only book that ever made me cry and I read a lot of books. I recently went to James Patterson's website and he states that he is working on another book that is similiar to it. I can't wait for it to come out.

I also agree with The4ofus who posted that she didn't get anything out of The Lovely Bones. I think that maybe I had heard so much about how wonderful the book was that I expected more from it. Oh well, everybody has different likes and dislikes.

wide awake
03-18-2004, 08:00 PM
The Diana Gabaldon about Lord Jim was just okay...I've read the Outlander series, and while I enjoyed them I think Anya Seton's Katherine, Green Darkness, and The Winthrop Woman are much better historical romances. Also, if you like a good mystery try Elizabeth George...Playing for the Ashes, Well Schooled in Murder, and In the Presence of the Enemy are my favorites. The Mitford series by Jan Karon are wonderful, as are the novels by Fannie Flagg, most of the Oprah books, and Charmed Lives by Micheal Korda.

sillysmom
03-18-2004, 08:21 PM
"Suzannes Diary for Nicholas", AWESOME BOOK, but took me about an hour to read (yes, I read very fast, and I couldn't put it down.) "Lovely Bones", blah very disappointing. Anything by James Patterson, John Grisham, Robin Cooke, would be great for a cruise. If your looking for timely romance novels, Jude Deveraux would be my personal favorite. Also if your into Stephen King at all, his books are so complex and so filled with characters, that you have to read it slowly SO one of his books should last at least as long as your cruise!

DutchsMommy
03-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Had to add my two cents. I am mainly a "Fantasy" genre person, so some of these might be too "fantasy" for some - but they are my favorites, and I've read alot of Fantasy.

Mercedes Lackey - already mentioned I think, but I think her best work is the "Last Herald Mage" series
Anne Bishop - Black Jewels Trilogy
David Eddings - The Belgariad series (and pretty much anything else by him)
Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon (this is more Arthurian than Fantasy, and very enjoyable)
David Gemmel - Rigante series, can't thinkof the title of some others - Ravenheart maybe?
George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones/A Clash of Kings and the third in the series which I can't remember the name of - it might be up to four now, but I can't see spending the $$ on hardcover!
Raymond E Feist - Riftwar Saga, other books are good too
Tad Williams - can't think of the name of the series, but includes The DRagonbone Chair, To Green Angel Tower (Parts 1 & 2)

Thats all I can think of right now - enjoy your reading, I know I am looking forward to it when we finally get our cruise (Feb '05) as long as DS likes the Kids Club!

maryisme
03-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Dana Gabaldon fans....I thought I was the only one with a thing for Jamie...lol

Thanks for the great book list. I've been reading Nora Roberts and I find her books very easy reading, romance with a twist of supernatural.

Happy cruisng.

Lynnyl
03-18-2004, 10:27 PM
One of my new favorites is Life of Pi, which must be doubly interesting on a cruise! Everyone who I've talked with who has read it comes out fascinated and with more questions than answers!

nswift
03-19-2004, 12:12 AM
What an amazing book list! I have read first 2 in the
Gabledon series...oooh Jamie :-)
I will be checking out the list at Borders tomorrow! We are taking a train to Orlando, so will have about 2 and a half days of travel time. The kids and I play card and word games, but you better believe I will find plenty of reading time!
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!
NSwift
:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: