PDA

View Full Version : For the Fantasmic dinner package - is Brown Derby worth the $$$?

Harambe
03-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Hollywood and Vine doesn't appeal to me (buffeted out, I guess!) and I don't really like the set menu idea of Mama Melrose (I have to pick my own dessert, thank you!) - so that leaves the Brown Derby.

Any thoughts?

Sabor
03-09-2004, 04:00 PM
If you are going at a real busy time or cannot stand to be in the cattle herd any of the FDP are worth it.
We had a wonderful meal at the BD back in 99 Piano Player and all. A so so meal in 2001 and A really bad experience Oct 2003.
I do not know if we cuaght them on an off night but there were 9 in our party and we must of had 6 or 7 different entrees and nobody really raved about the food most thought Ok at best a couple worse than that. The only plus was the waiter was great and he gave us FDP passes even though we were not thir for that.
The atmosphere of the BD to me keeps going down too. It really felt Upscale our first time and has steadily declined.
That being said if I were to do the FDP again I would still probably pick the BD over the other two.

jann1033
03-09-2004, 04:25 PM
we loved it in Jan for lunch and would do it for dinner in aheartbeat..great food and service, elegant atmosphere in keeping with the theme,,,wouldn't bother with the package if you are going at a *slow* time..we went twice in Jan.,once an hr before on a cold day and left ( frozen bottoms from cold metal benches) but still not busy at 1/2 hr pre show, second time 20 mins preshow on a nice night and it still was not standing room only. with a large group I wouldn't wait till 20 till but do not think you would have a hard time getting seats 30-40 mins preshow.

bunnyfoo
03-09-2004, 04:29 PM
We did the FDP in May and loved it. The theatre was actually quite full when we arrived so we were glad that we didn't have to lineup or fight for a seat. The food at BD was also great as was the service... we never felt like we were rushed and our waiter was very attentive.

DisneyKidds
03-09-2004, 11:41 PM
From a dollars and cents standpoint, as with most fixed price meals the Brown Derby FDP is worth it (ie - saves you money or doesn't cost you any more) if you would have eaten there and ordered an appetizer, entree, and dessert for each adult. If you get more food than you would have ordered otherwise then you might be spending more. We reserved the package for our May trip. The way I figure it, since we like to eat big when we go to the Brown Derby anyway, the package will save our family (2 adults and 1 child for the package) a little over $20 (or about 17%). I think that is pretty good.

On top of that you have the benefit of not having to wait so long for the show (if you are going during a busy time). We are going to do the package the Friday of Memorial Day weekend so I'm sure this package will save us time. Waiting in a 60 - 90 minute line with 3 small kids is NOT my idea of fun. Even if the package cost us a little more than we might have spent otherwise it would be worth it.

Uncleromulus
03-10-2004, 05:57 AM
I agree with Sabor--the Derby ain't what it used to be, thanks mostly to Fantasmic.
But it's now always busy, so I guess that's the bottom line.
I still regard it as the best restaurant at MGM, and the food is still pretty good. Their steaks are good, and they have a Pork entree that I always order. And there is always the Cobb salad and the grapefruit cake.
Oh--they do (or did, last time I was there) have a few beers above and beyond the usual suspects--on draft too, which is now a rare find at any WDW restaurant.

Harambe
03-10-2004, 07:51 AM
Thanks all! I always have a hard time with MGM - it is not my favorite "eats" park. But it sounds like it is at least worth a try! We are not going at a really busy time, but I hate waiting in line!

Smcgibeau
03-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I've done dinner in the BD twice and LOVED it both times. Wonderful food completely worth the money.

abbyndrewmom
03-10-2004, 01:06 PM
We will be dining there next week on the Fantasmic package I will let you know what we think. We originally had reservations at Blue Zoo but because the parks are going to be so busy we deceided to change to Brown Derby and the Fantasmic package. of course we are not expecting the food to compare the blue Zoo but we are still hope it will be a nice meal.

Allison

Harambe
03-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Thanks Allison - I'll be curious to read you review. And have a great trip!

JustHolly
03-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I wasn't impressed with Brown Derby.

It was the first and only time I have had to send food back! I ordered the filet mignon medium well and it was redder in the middle than my fiance's rare filet. It really wasn't anything special for that kind of money.

nemo1987
03-13-2004, 02:46 PM
i loved the brown derby the last time we went. i ordered from the kids menu as i was like 10 and it was wonderful and my mom had cob salad that she absolutly adored. we are going to try and get there when we go this april. i would recommend this to everyone. have a good time!
**Sarah**

lisareniff
03-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Maybe it was eating at 4:20?? But we came away not too impressed with the Brown Derby. My steak was good but my DH's veggie dish wasn't. The kids didn't really like fish sticks. The service wasn't great. I can't even remember what I had for dessert. We didn't think it was worth the money to do the BD Fantamic Pkg. Next time we might try waiting in line or MM.

stacy6552
03-13-2004, 05:27 PM
nope. not enough pixie dust for us.