PDA

View Full Version : where to eat at MGM?

jennyanydots
03-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Where's the best palce for a quiet, sit-down dinner? Last time we were there we only ate at fast food places and did a character meal at Hollywood & Vine.

Kae
03-07-2004, 04:33 PM
The Hollywood Brown Derby-hands down favorite.

Kae

disney queen
03-07-2004, 05:57 PM
another vote for brown derby!:tongue:

AspiringCindy
03-07-2004, 06:05 PM
I 3rd the Brown Derby!

Del
03-07-2004, 06:29 PM
It's all the way in the back near the muppet movie-- but the food and service were so good that we went back the next day!

Del:sunny:

EmmasGrammy
03-07-2004, 08:12 PM
50's Prime Time gets our vote. You get diner and a "show".... By the way you are part of the "show". Good food and good fun. Try the S'mores for dessert!!!!

amymouse
03-08-2004, 02:35 AM
For a quiet, sit-down meal, I don't think you can beat the Brown Derby. It's a must-do on all my trips!

tinkgrl
03-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Hi,

Another vote for Brown Derby here!!!

Allison

princesstommi
03-08-2004, 09:12 AM
I liked Mama Melrose better that Brown Derby, for atmosphere and service. But I must've been there on a bad night, because I have almost only heard good things about HBD. :)

Grumpy92
03-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Another vote for Mama Melrose. It is in an out of the way corner. But the food and service are very good. We always find it a relaxing local compared to many of the other restaurants. The last few times we have been to the Derby we really were not impressed with the menu.

skippelm
03-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Derby is very good food and wonderful atmosphere. Much nicer than the other sit downs at MGM. Very old hollywood.

jennyanydots
03-08-2004, 09:33 PM
What's the atmosphere like in the Brown Derby? I'd heard it was a bit stuffy.

DemoBri1
03-09-2004, 10:47 AM
HBD is definitely a more "formal" atmosphere, with the pricing to match. You will not be refused entry if you're in shorts, but I did feel underdressed. If I had planned on going to HBD I probably would've thrown on a nicer shirt and some Dockers.

There really isn't alot on the menu for kids, especially if they are picky eaters. I did enjoy the food, but next time I might be inclined to try Mama Melrose's.

That being said, it was a nice and relaxed atmosphere at HBD. If that is what you're looking for, then by all means I would recommend it.

Brian

grimp
03-10-2004, 12:34 AM
On our trip Feb, 2004 we ate at 50 Prime Time and found the food to be unsatisfactory. Would not recommend it. The atmosphere is ok, but not enough to offset the food quality. We had eaten there in 1996 and did not think much of the food then either, but had heard some good reviews prior to our 2004 trip and decided to give it a second chance. A case of a leopard not changing its spots.

Sci fi drive in theater is fun for the atmosphere, but and if you order sandwich type food it is average, but not outstanding. We ate there each trip from 1994 to 2004 and had fun but went more for the kids than for an outstanding meal.

In 2000 we loved Mama Melroses. My son-in-law and daughter even went back later in 2000 on a business trip to Orlando and made a point to go back. We ate there on our 2004 trip and were disappointed. It was not bad, but just not outstanding and not as good as we thought we remembered. By comparison to the Italian food in St. Louis it was not competitive. The service was good, and a few of the items were very good, but most were not all that exciting.
Actually, the vegi pizza at the counter at Pizza Planet was as good if not better.

Also, for counter service I would not recommend the Commisary. Blah according to my daughter.

Have not been to Brown Derby so I guess that will be our MGM sit down meal next trip. MGM does not seem to have an abundance of eateries to rave about.

iloveeeyore
03-10-2004, 08:45 AM
We had lunch at 50's Prime Time in 2001, but ordered Pot Roast and Chicken Pot Pie, neither overwhelmingly good. How about just a plain burger and shake? Is Sci-Fi better? Are we better off with counter service?

I agree this park needs better dining choices!

We are going in late August so Fantasmic will (probably) show too early for us to eat at a hotel or a different park and make it in time for Fantasmic! and too late to ask the kids to wait until after!

cjsmith
03-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I vote for the Hollywood Brown Derby. It's actually one of our favorite restaurants at Disney and we don't miss it. I can't wait for our meal there this weekend and neither can my kids!

fiveforall
03-10-2004, 10:32 AM
My family loves Sci-fi. The burgers, milkshakes, and onion rings are awesome. DH and I went there on our anniversary and they gave us an anniversary certificate and scifi souvenirs!

mugglemom
03-10-2004, 11:02 AM
We are going to try the Brown Derby soon! I can already taste all that yummy food! I let you know how good it was!