PDA

View Full Version : Differences in eating habits and eating out between US & UK!

2BoysMum&Dad
03-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Whenever I have posted messages about the differences between the Brits and the Americans, it has aroused a lot of interest. We have so many similarities that it is often fun to also spot the many little things in life we love to spot which are different.

When it comes to eating habits, there is the one obvious one people always know. That's how us Brits will hang on to our knives throughout the meal and cut as we go along. Where as in the US, it is customary to cut your food up first, then dispense with the knife and move the fork to the right hand to eat.

What other big differences are there and what other customs are different regarding eating in restaurants or any other food related subject? What about portion size and mixing savoury and sweet things on one plate - something the Brits find amuzing! Don't you sometimes do that with your breakfasts?

2BoysMum&Dad

:hyper: :hyper: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

bubblefactory
03-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Hi,

I have seen it many times but just can't understand the bacon / pancakes / maple syrup combo - yuk !! and don't even mention the grits.

Having said all that I love eating out in Orlando - it would be a long post if I listed everything I did like - but the steaks at Le Cellier would be near the top of the list.

Alec

graygables
03-06-2004, 03:30 PM
I remember getting some funny looks in a London Pizza Hut in 1983 when I ate with my fingers! LOL! I also had no clue what "white" tea was and learned I definitely prefer mine black, sorry!

That said, I spent a month in England in 1976 (commemoration of the "Rebellion" ;) and I noticed that it seemed the Brits were more aware of their ingredients. We Americans have sugar, powdered sugar and brown sugar, but in Europe, there was also castor sugar, berry sugar, turbinado, and those really cool multi-colored crystals, etc, not to mention the varities of flours and herbs!

Most people I know don't ever even compare savory and sweet and don't think about it. I'm originally a Southern girl, so sweet/meat was a common combination (apples and chicken, graham cracker coating on pork chops) as well as grits with butter/sugar (*never* cheese at my house! ) I was taught to add sugar to green beans (string beans) as well as when cooking corn on the cob (another American-ism).

As far as breakfast goes, many people do the eggs, bacon/sausage (even maple-flavored sausage) alongside pancakes/waffles with syrup. My DH absolutely *hates* savory and sweet together, so he has to eat his bacon/eggs/ potatoes before having pancakes with blueberries, which he calls "breakfast dessert".

I would dearly *love* a Continental breakfast right now, especially with REAL European butter...yummm!

BTW, my 18 & 15yo DDs are heading "across the pond" next week for a vacation w/ my parents. Dad and 18yo can only stay a week b/c of school holidays, but 15yo and Mom are staying until the end of the month...I'm so jealous! I've been trying to prepare my unadventurous DDs to try new things, so I hope they enjoy the British hospitality as much as I did!

tar heel
03-06-2004, 04:18 PM
If we are minding our manners, we are cutting up our food as we go and continuing to use our knives through the whole meal here, too! It is a definite no-no to cut up everything than ditch the knife.

I didn't know that Brits don't mix sweet and savory (American spelling:D). I thought you ate those wonderful Indian chutnies with meat and curries. Yum.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Well, these messages have reminded me that there are actually instances where we do mix our savoury and sweet, but maybe just in different ways and often the sweet part is especially made as an accompaniment to a savoury dish. Brits like apple sauce with roast pork for instance - do you do that in the US? But as a general rule, I don't think we will add a complete sweet item and a complete savoury item on the same plate.

There are a few recipies where oranges or prunes are added like "duck a la orange", pronounced with a French accent - so really a French meal which the British like. And prunes can be an added ingredient to savoury dishes which add a certain something to the overall flavour of the meal.

You will not find many British people putting pancakes with maple syrup on the same plate as sausages!

Bacon is another thing! In Britain, we like lean bacon with little fat on it (not streaky bacon) and may have this with grilled tomatoes, fried eggs, fried bread, black pudding, baked beans and cooked mushrooms. It is possible to buy streaky bacon too but would be used mostly for laying across the top of a chicken or turkey before roasting it in the oven.

2BoysMum&Dad

GEM
03-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Wow. How interesting. I'm an American and I have never, ever seen anyone take their knife and cut everything up at one time. :confused: I always cut as a I got, and I've never noticed anyone dong it differently. The only excpetion I've ever noticed is when a parent cuts up everything at once for a child.

Now, having spent a lot of time in England, my only complaint with their food is that they have an appalling lack of ice in their beverages! :tongue: I remember being in London one unusually hot summer, and I would have KILLED for a coke with more than two ice cubes in it!

2BoysMum&Dad
03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
And there's me thinking all Americans cut food at the beginning and then discarded their knife! I came across this a lot when I visited a friend in Houston a couple of times and another friend in Philadelphia. It must be something that isn't country-wide, but have noticed it and others seem to have noticed it too. Very interesting.

Generally, regarding ice in soft drinks served in UK pubs - you will be asked if you want ice - won't assume you want it automatically. Maybe it's just the climate here, we are not used to hot weather for more than two weeks in 52!

2BoysMum&Dad

helenk
03-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I have never cut up all my meat and then set aside my knife, you are correct in that we do not hold our knife through out the meal. Generally, we cut a few pieces, set the knife aside and then when thiose few pieces are done, cut some more.
I do like my bacon on the plate with my pancakes and syrup though, yum...

2BoysMum&Dad
03-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Sounds a bit fiddly to me - swapping cutlery around all the time. It seems far easier just to pick up your knife and fork and keep it like that for the whole meal! But, I guess it's just what you are used to!

Regarding bacon, pancakes and syrup on the same plate - just can't do that. EEEK! Sorry!

2BoysMum&Dad

Disney Ella
03-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 2BoysMum&Dad

You will not find many British people putting pancakes with maple syrup on the same plate as sausages!

I think I must really be British because I have never understood how anyone can put something as sweet as syrup on pancakes and waffles. Yuck. Everyone here thinks it's strange that I won't use syrup, but I guess I'll fit in very well when I travel to England in a few years.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Sorry to say this, Disney Ella, but the syrup with pancakes or waffles is not the problem as these are very acceptable combinations in this country!

Pancakes and waffles are normally regarded as part of a sweet dish but can be part of savoury too as both of these can be neutral items (depending exactly on the ingredients in the pancakes or waffles). But generally speaking, if you ask someone what they would put with their pancakes, they would probably say lemon and sugar, syrup, fruit or even all of these and maybe even whipped cream and chocolate sauce too.

The problem for most of us (and I think I do speak for most Brits) is the maple syrup (which happens to be with the pancake) on the same plate as the sausages and other similar savoury stuff.

But, we are not all alike anyway! Everyone has their own tastes whatever country they come from.

2BoysMum&Dad

pirateofthecarolinas
03-06-2004, 09:24 PM
When I was studying in London one summer, the bed & breakfast would serve baked beans with our eggs. That is something we would never eat for breakfast.

Bone china was also used everyday, whereas here it is mainly used on holidays and special occasions.

When I returned, my mother asked what she could fix for my first dinner home. Steak! I was craving a big steak. I also needed some sweet tea.

Lori

Mary Ellen
03-06-2004, 09:29 PM
We haven't been to the UK (yet), but some of my cousins from Cambridge came to visit us last summer. Based on their reactions:

They were appalled at the thought of iced tea.

They couldn't get over the size (huge) of American restaurant portions.

They also mentioned (happily) how friendly US servers (waiters) are.

BBQ (barbeque) means different things on each side of the pond. My cousins considered barbeque to be anything grilled on a barbeque. In the US (particularly in the South/Texas/Kansas City), it is something WAY beyond that. They didn't particularly care for our BBQ.

They were very happy with the steaks they had here (and we didn't even go out to a fancy steakhouse).

They also had concerns that the apple pie they bought might be 'too spicy' for their tastes (cinnamon).

You also asked about the combination of roast pork and applesauce. I can't imagine having pork (roast or chops) without cold applesauce. Now asked, I don't know if it is an 'American' thing or because 1 grandfather, and 6 of my 8 great-grandparents, were born in England and I just grew up with that tradition.

Bacon - if you are looking for the type of bacon you have at home, you'll want to order what is known as Canadian bacon here.

k&a&c'smom
03-06-2004, 09:49 PM
LOL!! Doesn't anyone remember the old Brady Bunch episode where Bobby said "Pork chops and applesauce!!" - my kids love to say that!!

For the knife and fork thing, I think some people may not understand exactly what you mean. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Brits put their knife in their right hand to cut their food(if you're right-handed) using the fork in their left hand upside down to pierce the food and eat it. After seeing this in movies (what a hick I am!) I started doing it, too, as it seems so much easier than switching the fork and knife repeatedly.

I also chuckle when I watch an old Miss Marple movie with Joan Hickson, where a friend states she has been to America, and eaten a "muffin" which is not a muffin at all!! Here, muffins are great big (usually) cake-like breads with various ingredients, like chocolate chips, blueberries, banana-nut, etc. Not the same as your muffins at all, however, we only have our store-bought "English muffins" to compare them to.:teeth:

k&a&c'smom
03-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Oh, I forgot, I never eat pancakes without sausage on the side, if I can help it. And, I want the syrup on the sausage as well!!:rolleyes:

pamlet
03-06-2004, 10:09 PM
and I LOVE mushrooms - and I could get them ANYTIME!!:bounce:

I was there for about 8 weeks a few years back, and was the "taxi" from our place of work in Croughton to Oxford. I would have to pick up folks at the bus station in Oxford nearly every Saturday I was there... I would get there early and sit in a cute little restaurant and have DELICIOUS coffee and Mushrooms and Toast... I was in heaven!! :tongue:

Also as to applesauce w/pork I don't think it's a British thing as I grew up having applesauce with pork, and my relatives are Polish, Norwegian and German. When I was in England there was a pub we'd go to for dinner that would have the most wonderful pork loin served with various fruit sauces... apricot, apple, plum.... oh my!!!

The bacon was hard for me to get used to... I did not eat a lot of beef, as I think the cows are fed differently and I didn't care for the taste. But there was so much else to eat! One pub would have jacket potatoes cooked right in the fireplace.. and I'd have that with... you guessed it... MUSHROOMS!!!!!!

Pooh Girl 71
03-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I have to dip the sausages in the syrup. Otherwise the sausage is too spicy for me.

chobie
03-06-2004, 11:31 PM
I have been to England twice and I love those big breakfasts you get at the B&B's. The best thing, though, was scones and Devonshire cream. I can buy that here, but it costs about $7 for a tiny little jar. I never ate Indian food until I went to the UK, but now I have it about once a month. This thread makes me want to go back...

two-foxes
03-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Reading the OP's first post reminded me of a somewhat frightening moment in my younger adult life about the whole knife thing.....

I was dating an English man who was attending my university in the States. We had flown to England over our winter break so I could meet his family. His father, who is/was a celebrity of sorts in England (think on the level of Hulk Hogan here) was a bit intimidating to say the least. We were eating at this pub, and my BF's father was yelling out complaints (quite embarrassing for me!) such as "your lager is flat!!" to the bartender. I thought he was beginning another complaint to the staff, as he started raising his voice, yelling "every bloody American!!!" He then proceeded to correct me (loudly, needless to say) on my eating utensil operation! Well, two good things came of this....my BF was soon an ex as I realized "like father, like son" and I have gotten many compliments on my very polite table manners!;)

2BoysMum&Dad
03-07-2004, 05:44 AM
two-foxes, sounded like you had a not very good experience with some English men! I hope you find the rest of us ok!

Devon or Cornish "Cream Teas" are worth a trip to the other side of the world and back! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2BoysMum&Dad

gina2000
03-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Brits drink beer at a considerably warmer temperature than Americans do. Same with regular drinks....no ice.

Mint jelly with lamb. I know alot of Americans and Brits eat lamb that way....but I'm an Italian-American and we serve lamb larded with garlic and fresh herbs.

I've seen Brits put a huge amount of sugar in coffee....much more than I think we are accustomed to.

We don't have a formal tea or high tea as a meal in the US. It's a specialty of some hotel restaurants.

Snow Shoe
03-07-2004, 02:45 PM
The one thing that I could not get use to was the lack of "ice" in my drinks. I just couldn't get it across that I wanted a "glass full" of ice with my drink. Oh well.

The pancakes/waffles, bacon/sausage, syrup, eggs, and hash browns all on one plate works for me!!

Now BBQ, especially Texas style, that's an aquired taste. There's no greater place to have great BBQ than in Texas!!! Great short ribs, BBQ chicken or BBQ beef, with sweet corn on the cob dripping with butter, BBQ beans, either mustard or mayo style potato salad, and a tall glass of strong Iced Tea-sweetened or not.....Oh boy am I getting hungry right now!

Now I'm not a UT grad, their the "tea sippers you know", but I do like my hot tea with sugar in winter only though.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-07-2004, 05:49 PM
The Brits really don't get this iced tea thing at all! Most people I know like their tea with milk and it tends to be workmen with a physical job who like loads of sugar in their tea or coffee. Most people I have had round my house servicing the boiler or workmen building the extension on my house liked loads of sugar in their hot tea or coffee (with milk).

2BoysMum&Dad

k&a&c'smom
03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
2BoysMum&Dad

Can you answer a question? I read quite a few British authors, and they often mention having "beans on toast," which sounds disgusting to me!!:earseek: Can you describe this meal, what kind of beans exactly? I always imagine something like our canned "pork 'n beans," but it is probably totally different?!

memymomonica
03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I like syrup on my sausage....

I also cut up all my meat at once. I do only do this at home though. I do use my manners in public. It is just sooo much easier to cut it at once, then eat.

I grew up with pork chops and applesauce. I prefer my applesauce warm though.....

I feel better after my confession.

yecats
03-07-2004, 11:38 PM
This is a funny thread. I don't cut up my meat all at once. Actually I am ambedextruos (sp?) and many people think I am wierd because I can eat with any utensil in either hand. I have to admit that I have noticed plenty of people in America cutting up all there meat at once then eating it. The one thing I have noticed with the Brits is that they for the most part eat with their forks in the down position (with points of fork facing chin instead of nose). I can recall someone once telling me it was an old wivestale as to why people use to eat that way.

Ice Tea. We have horrible summers here in the South. There is no way in the world that I am going to have hot tea on a day where it is 96 degrees outside, with humidity at 75 percent and a sidewalk that will literally cook an egg (its bad enough to have bad hair days for 120 days in a row). We are Iced Tea people here for sure and it is because of the very hot summers we manage to live through. The only time I have anything hot is when I am sick.

I don't eat beans at all so I can't imagine them for breakfast. That would make me sick. Today I still can't watch people poor ketchup on their eggs, I literally have to walk away. Now, I am from the south where both brown and white gravy may be eaten on a biscuit instead of jam. I also cook all meat using cayenne pepper and a ton of garlic and herbs. I hate onions on meat.

Also, I was brought up with the understanding that true BBQ meant that it had to be pork not any other type of meat. In my region, the spicer the food the better.

jann1033
03-08-2004, 12:17 AM
don't cut my meat all at once. was taught that was on a par with elbows on the table or talking with your mouth full as far as manners went. actually i think it is considered polite here in the states to put your silverware down when you are chewing or talking rather than holding them ready to shovel in the next bite . do not know how often it is actually done that way, for me it depends on where I am and if I am having"dinner" someplace nice or at pizza hut.

had a friend from England( her dad was from Scotland) and the only time I ate breakfast at their house it included bacon/eggs and pancakes on one plate ( maybe they had been "tainted" having lived here a few years.. ) reason I remember this is as a kid it grossed me out to have egg yolk run into the pancakes and since he was very crabby by nature he made me eat it, me nearly gagging and mortified the whole time

might have misunderstood but the poster who said the meat tasted different...bacon is usually pork ( or poultry) so maybe that is why the "beef" tasted different.... since it wasn't:) ?

northerns call BBq anything on a grill also. as in "let's bbq burgers" but personally I crave NC BBQ... yumyum... in ohio ( as in the pit smoked kind)

"pork chops and apple saussseee" works for me

2BoysMum&Dad
03-08-2004, 04:56 AM
There seem to be several topics on the go here so I will
try to add to all of them, which include the following –

Holding position of knives and forks
Iced tea versus English hot tea
BBQs
Beans on toast
Pancakes with other food

The Brits will hold their fork with prongs pointing down and there are no circumstances in which you should turn the fork the other way up (if you are strictly sticking to the rules). All food should be pierced with the fork in that position and not shovelled. You can get away with shovelling peas, but technically peas and other similar small items should be squashed onto the back of the fork using the knife with the prongs still pointing downwards. If you are going to use the fork like a shovel, this should really be done by disposing of the knife and using the fork in the right hand (but still not really correct). If a meal does not need cutting up at all, it is acceptable to use a fork only (in the right hand) throughout the meal and use the fork whichever way up is easiest for each piece of food.

The big iced tea debate! The Brits are only just getting into this iced tea thing, but still most Brits don’t really “get it”. There is a scientific reason why hot tea (usually with milk) is better for you in hot weather than a cold iced drink, which goes as follows –

If you are hot and sweaty on the outside and have a cold drink inside you, your body is then struggling to equalise temperatures. If you are hot on the outside and hot on the inside then your body doesn’t have to work so hard and you are still getting the vital liquid need to replace liquid lost through sweating. Hope that makes sense!

But I say “to h*** with that” and still go for a nice cold coke with loads of ice on a hot day because it seems so much better!

BBQs. Our family have a big BBQ party every year. The term “BBQ” refers to either a type of meal or the gadget used to cook the meal. BBQed meat is meat cooked on a BBQ, but you can technically put anything on a BBQ grill including fish, chicken, steak, corn-on-the-cob, potatoes (maybe wrapped in foil) etc.

Beans on toast is a popular snack or small meal in the UK. The beans will be the type of beans you get in a tin which have tomato sauce with them, the most popular brand being made by Heinz (other brands are available of course). I think these beans are similar to the type I always envisage being eaten by cowboys in those old American “westerns” around a camp fire.

What are typical American pancakes like? I am beginning to wonder whether they are made with sugar in them and sweet already? British pancakes are made “neutral” so you can make them into a savoury meal or sweet by adding either a savoury or sweet topping. I do not like the idea of having a sweet pancake with a savoury meal like sausages and bacon etc (especially if you add syrup to it, YUK!!).

2BoysMum&Dad

cjsmith
03-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Our pancakes are also plain, just like yours. And I for one can't stand having my bacon or sausage on the same plate with the pancakes, the syrup gets on them, yuck!
I'm used to the way the English hold their utensils while eating because my mom is from Denmark and that is how they eat as well. I grew up watching it and it makes so much more sense. I do eat in the American way however most of the time.
England is one of our favorite places in the world and we travel there as often as possible. I can't wait to go back and eat again!

2BoysMum&Dad
03-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Sorry about my last post, it was rather long and rambling!! But, at least it got everything out of my system in one go!

I am getting so excited about visiting WDW now and really looking forward to meeting all you nice Americans. If all WDW visitors are anything like the members if DISBoards, then we are GUARANTEED a PERFECT holiday.

I am now trying to work out how to somehow forget to come home without my family and friends noticing - any suggestions?

2BoysMum&Dad

Stiff
03-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Holding position of knives and forks
Iced tea versus English hot tea
BBQs
Beans on toast
Pancakes with other food

1) I never cut all my food up at once....and Ive never really seen anyone do this (except for children)

2) I could not survive my summers without iced tea....although I cant drink it as sweet as they do in the south

3) BBQ doesnt only mean different things in different countries...it means different things depending on where you are in the US...chicken? pork? shredded or ribs? beef? sweet or vinegar sauces? it changed depending on where you go. My personal favorite is the shredded pork BBQ in NC.

4) beans on toast....my wife would make me leave the room

5) pancakes with other food.....I dont eat much syrup with sausage...I do ahve it with my bacon. Its actually a good combo...dont knock it till you try it.

one final....give me my beer ice cold please

GEM
03-08-2004, 09:59 AM
By the way, though, we don't just like our drinks cold during hot weather. Iced tea is a year round drink. We even drink it in the dead of winter. And, no matter how temperature it is outside, I still like my coke served COLD with lots of ice. :p

tinkerbell6
03-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Can a Canadian cut in? ;)

It's interesting reading all the things about iced tea vs hot tea. I am taking my own tea (bags, for hot tea) with me on our trip, since every time I've been down to the States, I just can't find a good cup of tea! I don't drink coffee at all, and must have a few cups of tea each morning, with sugar and milk. We also don't generally do the iced tea thing up here, except for powdered iced tea mix. Love Pepsi with ice in the summer though.

We Canadians are an interesting mix of American and British habits generally. By the way, the cheese soup that is mentioned as Le Cellier's big thing? I've never heard of cheese soup being Canadian. But maybe that's an Eastern Canada thing! :p

:earsgirl: :earsboy: princess:

campingcorgi
03-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Well, this isn't a food question but I think it fits in here. I know in England you drive on the left side of the road--do you walk on the left side of hallways? We walk on the right here in schools, etc., and I got to wondering.....

2BoysMum&Dad
03-08-2004, 11:35 AM
I have never heard of or come across any rules in English schools or workplaces where people have to walk in a certain place or direction in corridors or hallways! That's news to me.

I know Brits have more of a "thing" about queues (I think you call them "lines") and we get very cross with people who queue-jump in front of others who have been waiting far longer.

2BoysMum&Dad

Kewz1
03-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I love this thread!

I learned a long time ago that the way the Brits use their knives and forks works way better than how most Americans do it. I have even taught my children to cut their food that way.

I think afternoon tea should become a requirement in the US and Devonshire cream (with a warm scone) belongs in a whole other food category. Yum!

I like to eat bacon or sausage with my French toast (not really into pancakes or waffles) but PLEASE do not let the syrup touch it. I always hated that my mom served applesauce with porkchops and, yes, I do remember that Brady Bunch episode! I have never liked to mix my sweets and "savouries." I can't stand the thoght of Sweet & Sour Chicken/pork/beef but I guess that is a whole other thread.

Oh, and I'll take a cup of English Breakfast tea with a spot of milk -- preferrably skim -- over an iced tea anytime of day! :teeth:

Kristen :earsgirl:

2BoysMum&Dad
03-08-2004, 11:46 AM
You are all such a lovely group of people. Everyone in this thread is invited to a "proper English tea" with me in a posh English hotel in London this weekend. You all coming? I'm paying the bill (check).

2BoysMum&Dad

k&a&c'smom
03-08-2004, 12:30 PM
That sounds wonderful!! Count me in!! The only time I have had scones and Devonshire cream was the GF "tea" DD and I had last Dec. They were soooo yummy!!:sunny:

MEM
03-08-2004, 01:25 PM
I have been to the UK several times but the last time, 2 years ago, I saw something on a kid's menu in London that I had never seen before -- Heinz baked bean pizza!! I also don't understand "mushy peas" -- had them once with fish n' chips. At the time I thought it odd because I like to feel the peas "pop" in my mouth and not have them looking partially digested-- have since learned that mushy peas start from dried peas.

What about teabags vs. loose tea? Many of us Americans have been told that "real" Brits use loose tea in the pot. No matter where I went in the UK, the teapot had a huge teabag inside it and never did I see loose tea served to me. Perhaps only the poshest places?

wuv tigger
03-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Bangers & Mash :D

Blood Pudding :(

Eel Pie :(

Any British beer drawn at a pub :D :D

Fish & Chips :D

David

kandmwedding
03-08-2004, 02:22 PM
When it comes to eating habits, there is the one obvious one people always know. That's how us Brits will hang on to our knives throughout the meal and cut as we go along. Where as in the US, it is customary to cut your food up first, then dispense with the knife and move the fork to the right hand to eat.

My husband is British and this quote really surpises me. My whole family (Americans) cut our food as we go, while he and his mum cut everything before they eat it. I always thought that was a British thing. Strange that you think it's the opposite!!

What I have noticed that is different is how my husband and his mom turn their forks upside down when they put them in their mouth. They always stab (for lack of a better word) their food with the prongs facing downward and then put the food in their mouth upside down. I tried it one day, and the meal took me three times as long as normal to eat, cause I keep poking myself. :D

sha_lyn
03-08-2004, 03:06 PM
this reminds me of what happened the first tiem we ate at Prime Time Cafe. A family was seated next to us at about the same time we were seated. Their sever walked up and said "so how is my family from the UK". The father asked how did he know where they were from, since they had not spoken yet. The server said it was the way they set the table (at Prime time the kids in the party place the silverware on the table)

bubblefactory
03-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by wuv tigger

Blood Pudding :(

David

Have to disagree with this i'm afraid. I live here in Ramsbottom, Bury (Lancashire) the traditional home of the Black Pudding. It's a local delicacy

We also host the world black pudding throwing championship:

World Black Pudding (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3146468.stm)

How's that for a strange use of food ?

NCRedding
03-08-2004, 03:27 PM
I noticed several things on our trip to the UK in 2000:

I could never eat green peas the way they were served in the UK--hard and cold everywhere I had them, which was most restaurants. (Like greens beans in the south, they appear on each menu)

I drink a lot more with my meal than the staff was used to. I had a hard time getting refills of anything. At one restuarant, I spent more on drinks and refills than I did on my meal.

The staff we had was adequate, but not overly friendly or efficient.

I found that people in the UK do walk on the left, while we walked on the right, which meant I was constantly bumping into someone, because I wasn't following their rules.

I had a great trip, with beautiful scenery, so if I sound too negative, it isn't my intent.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
If your peas were hard and cold it was because they weren't cooked quite long enough (but shouldn't be cooked for too long either). Peas should be hot, but I suppose it is easy for them to cool down quickly before the plate gets to your table.

Blood pudding is normally called black pudding in the UK and is great stuff!

I didn't know we had any rules about which side we should walk, just have to try avoiding anyone coming in the opposite direction!

2BoysMum&Dad

graygables
03-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Do you know if my Mom will be able to bring clotted cream back with her? I can't get it around here (although I can get Nutella just about anywhere!) She and DDs are heading over the pond this week, so I wasnt to know what to ask for!

2BoysMum&Dad
03-08-2004, 06:08 PM
US customs are likely to be more of a problem than British, I expect - so I don't know. Which bit of Britain are your family visiting?

2BoysMum&Dad

graygables
03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
All of it, I think! My Dad and 18yo will only be there for a week, so they will be mostly in London, then over to Wales, but my 15yo and Mom are staying on until the end of the month and will go north into Scotland and work their way back south, just bed & breakfasting as they go. I am sooooo jealous!

I'm really hoping my mom can get some back with her (or at least find me a resource!) Although I don't like my tea "white", I do love clotted cream and scones!

TwingleMum
03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Tinkerbelle6- I think the problem your experiencing with "bad" cups of tea here in the USA have more to do with them not boiling the water or my personal "favorite" bring a lukewarm cup of water with the tea bag on the saucer. The water isn't hot enough to properly steep the tea leaves.

Graygables - here in ny we have stores called Fairway, they specialize in imported and specialty items. I think they have a website. They sell Devonshire cream.

I just went to the Plaza in NYC this weekend for high tea and it was such a wonderful experience I highly recommend it.

Love this thread, it was a great read.

TwingleMum
03-08-2004, 07:23 PM
2boysMum&Dad - there are 2 excellent BBQ places in Orlando you should definetly check out while your here. Bubbalous and Sonny's. They both have websites and would give you an idea of what we call BBQ.

Chuck S
03-08-2004, 07:55 PM
OK, I have to ask, I've seen it in the store but have never purchased it. What is Devonshire Cream like? Is it similar to fresh very heavy cream from a farm (almost, but not quite butter) or what?

I wonder what the Brits would think of the American bacon with Maple flavor already in it. It is pretty sweet all by itself. ;)

TwingleMum
03-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Chuck- its hard to describe but its thick almost like real whip cream and its slightly sweet. You put it on scones and generally spread a dollop of jam on top. Its wonderful. Hope that answers your question.;)

HaleyB
03-08-2004, 11:33 PM
I just have to say
Proper tea. I must have been born on the wrong side of the pond! I love tea (Earl Grey is my favorite) but it must be made right. The water must boil, the cup should be warmed first, and if you make a pot of tea you really need to use a cozy to keep it warm. My electric kettle is in use every day. I like milk or even cream in my tea and a bit of sugar too. I can't ever let anyone but my DH make tea for me around here. I learned to put cream in tea in Canada, is this a Canadian thing?
English muffins in the states are nothing like the wonder full crumpets I had in London.
It seems to me we eat dinner earlier here than across the pond, but this may be a big city thing too.
Fresh fruit... I could not believe how expensive fresh fruit was in London. My last trip was almost 10 years ago, I wonder if it is better now?
Take care when ordering mixed drinks. American bar tenders do not seem to know what a Snake Bite is and when I tell them they give me a funny look (Dark beer with hard cider). I drank them in pubs all over Europe.
My DS just pointed out to me the other day that we could go to London for a week for the same $ we are spending on our next WDW trip... Maybe next year.

k&a&c'smom
03-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Chuck S

I was thinking the same thing about the maple-flavored bacon (and sausage) after going to the store this afternoon!!;)

2BoysMum&Dad - I don't think we have any "rules" about walking on the right side of the hall/aisle/path, but we seem to do it subconsciously. Either because we are mostly right-handed, but, more likely, because we drive on the right!!

This is so much fun - I love learning about our cultural differences!!:wave:

2BoysMum&Dad
03-09-2004, 02:39 AM
To make a proper cup of tea, the water has to boil, otherwise it's horrible. When I have been to the US before, it doesn't seem like many Americans have an electric kettle. You will rarely find an English home without an electric kettle.

The other descriptions of clotted cream above seem about right.

Bacon already flavoured with maple syrup - OH NO! YUK!!!

Graygables - tell your family they have to visit Oxford (I lived there for a while). It is a beautiful city with HEAPS of history. You can walk through loads of streets swarming with buildings which are hundreds and hundreds of years old and made with lovely creamy coloured local stone.

2BoysMum&Dad

Julie Sutton
03-09-2004, 05:03 AM
I am from england and i LOVE pancakes / syrup and bacon / sausages on the same plate.

I also Love Marmalade and cheese sandwiches and corned beef and ketchup sandwiches

Clotted cream mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
my favorite!

When I was at school we were always told to walk on the left down corridors and up and down stairs

2BoysMum&Dad
03-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Julie,

You must be the exception to every rule I have mentioned in this thread! Trust there to be someone different!!

2BoysMum&Dad

time101
03-09-2004, 08:14 AM
We are very close to a couple from the UK, and we have had many discussions along these lines.

Two years ago, when they came to visit us, we went on a picnic to Ravinia, an outdoor concert facility in the north suburbs of Chicago. One of the items we brought was raw vegetables (and dip), including broccoli, cauliflower, green peppers, and carrots. They had never heard of eating most of these vegetables raw, especially the broccoli and cauliflower. I think they tried it, but I'm not sure they liked it.

When we went to see them last year, they prepared a salad with a very good vinagrette-type dressing. The husband also planted a dollop of Heinz Salad Cream on top. I tried some, too. It tastes a lot like Miracle Whip here in the States. That was rather strange.

We also discovered Indian food when we were over there. I think Indian food is to the Brits what Mexican food is to us. Now we crave it just like we do Mexican. The problem is, the nearest good Indian restaurant is an hour away.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-09-2004, 10:03 AM
You are right about Indian food in Britain. In fact, certain types of "take-away" Indian food are more popular than some traditional English "take-away" food.

Before I go any further, I would like to explain that "take-away" translates as "take-out" or food "to-go"!

Have any of you come across Yorkshire pudding? This is normally made as an accompaniment to roast beef and have it along with your roast potatoes, vegetables and gravy (probably made with onions). It is generally a savoury item made with batter, probably similar ingredients to a pancake batter - but the difference is that a Yorkshire pudding looks more like a "dumpling" but is very light and fluffy. I believe the proper Yorkshire puddings are plate sized and you would put all your savoury items and gravy on top of it with the fluffy edges rising up around the edges.

People have been known to use Yorkshire puddings in the same way as pancakes and made them into a sweet item by adding fruit or syrup in the same way you would treat a pancake.

Now I am really really really really hungry!

2BoysMum&Dad

BCV23
03-09-2004, 10:17 AM
I make Yorkshire pudding whenever I roast a prime rib. My family loves it.

They think mine is much better than the one served at R&C.:D

My son and I were in Ireland in February and people did tend to walk on the left side of the sidewalk it seemed to me. We didn't encounter a single tea bag other than the ones in some rooms for self service. At Ashford Castle when I would order a pot of tea first thing in the am, they also brought an extra little silver pot with hot water. I would add it to my tea cup as I got toward the bottom of the pot and it was getting stonger. Great tea!

I'm from the midwest and my husband is from the east and we both grew up with applesauce as a common side dish with pork.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Loose tea leaves (and using a strainer) is supposed to be a better way of making tea, but in most people's opinion tea bags are perfectly good enough and sometimes more convenient.

2BoysMum&Dad

BCV23
03-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Loose tea leaves (and using a strainer) is supposed to be a better way of making tea, but in most people's opinion tea bags are perfectly good enough and sometimes more convenient.

I think this is probably how most of us who are tea lovers in the US feel about it too. I prefer loose tea but bags do just fine when I'm in a hurry which seems to be most of the time!:D

otownguy
03-09-2004, 11:52 AM
What a great thread. I live very close to WDW and often eat in restaurants in that area. There are several sure fire ways to spot Brits:

- Always eat with fork pointed down and knife in hand as has been stated here. but also :tongue
- Someone in crowd almost always has on football (soccer) apparel. :bounce:
- Someone appears to have a very painful sunburn.:cutie:
- Are generally very friendly and interesting to talk to.:D

Now (I know this is already been discussed, just wanted to get my 2 cents in.)

BBQ - People in the US take this very seriously. I love all kinds of BBQ. To be considered real BBQ meat must be cooked low and slow 200 - 250 degrees for several hours with some kind of wood smoke. Anything cooked fast on a grill is considered grilling not BBQ. BBQ varies according to the region. The following is where BBQ is most famous:

North Carolina: Pork (pork butt pulled, ribs) Western NC sauce is tomato based, Eastern NC sauce is vinegar based. South Carolina sauce is mustard based.

Texas: BEEF!!! , brisket, short ribs, tomato based sauce, mesquite wood.

Kansas City: Pork (ribs, sliced pork) tomato based sauce.

I also love the bacon/sausage with maple syrup (Real maple syrup not the imitation stuff you get most places). I have to have the saltiness of the meat to counteract the sweetness of the syrup. Also same concept with chocolate covered pretzels, which you must try.

Just had to mention that I really enjoy talking to and getting to know the many UK visitors that we get here. In general they are very friendly and polite, which is more that I can say for a lot of the other visitors. Just a note that my best experience at WDW was one day I spent about 2 hours in Rose and Crown drinking beer and talking with the bartenders and other people. My favorite beers are Harp and Tennents, can't decide which I like better. They are even starting to show up in our local grocery store. Sorry so long but I just found this thread very interesting, need to start more like it.

KilleriMac17
03-09-2004, 12:16 PM
My wife loves to eat her sausage with syrup. I do not, my mother is from ireland, that could be why, but I also prefer Irish Bangers to American sausage.
::yes::

2BoysMum&Dad
03-09-2004, 04:29 PM
I have started a few threads like this which people seem to enjoy, mostly based on the differences between the Brits and Americans.

I am also pleased that most Americans who have chatted with Brits at WDW have found us friendly. I like to think the positive American attitude brings out the best in us!

2BoysMum&Dad

jann1033
03-09-2004, 04:40 PM

I always envisage being eaten by cowboys in those old American “westerns” around a camp fire.

2BoysMum&Dad

well I always envisage the campfire scene in the movie "BLazing Saddles "when I envisage cowboys, beans and campfires:)

a note on tea...when we went in Jan. we missed the little tea/triffle wagon that used to be to the left of the R&C. we had a hard time getting a cup of tea to go along with our walker's shortbread that are so necessary during illuminations at any place in UK Epcot ! what is up with that! the time before last a cute little British boy at that cart stressed to me with a horrified expression that whatever I did with my tea.."DO NOT "dunk" the bag". very cute moment.

as far as smoked "BBQ", well, unless you go to Texas or the Carolinas, imo forget it, just not the same ( sorry,never tried it in Kansas). around here ( Ohio)you CAN get some good ribs....grilled with tomatoie sauce ( which I know my BBQ cookbook calls "BBQed" also )

tar heel
03-09-2004, 04:54 PM
There must be a better place in Orlando to get BBQ than Sonny's -- that would be a little like sending you to McDonald's to get a really good hamburger. There's a Sonny's here, but I don't know anyone who eats at it -- can't imagine who would go there when there is the real stuff nearby.

UKDEB
03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I've been watching this thread with interest over the last couple of days. It's hugely entertaining, but I have to say I don't recognise a lot of the traits ascribed to Brits! :scratchin

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of traditional savory with sweet (pork with apple sauce; gammon and pineapple; turkey and cranberry sauce), but I have grown to love pancakes with smoked crispy bacon and (real) maple syrup. In fact, I made it for breakfast on Sunday. Mmmmm!

sha_lyn
03-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by tar heel
There must be a better place in Orlando to get BBQ than Sonny's -- that would be a little like sending you to McDonald's to get a really good hamburger. There's a Sonny's here, but I don't know anyone who eats at it -- can't imagine who would go there when there is the real stuff nearby.

My thought was it was like sending someone to Taco Bell to get authentic Tex Mex food.

Did a search and came up with

Bubbalou's Bodacious Barbeque
and
Smokey Bones (http://www.smokeybones.com/)

As rated 2 of the best in the Orlando area

About Bacon, sausage etc... It is very common here to cure pork with sugar. Sugar cured (sometimes brown sugar) bacon and ham are very common.

jann1033
03-09-2004, 05:10 PM
a smokey bones just opened near us so in the interest of scientific investigation I may force myself to try it this weekend!

kennancat
03-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Smokey Bones is a Darden restaurant (think Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Bahama Breeze). The pulled pork is generally regarded as very good. I also like Sonny's, but not as much as Smokey Bones or Babbalou's. I believe Bubbalou's is a local chain. I heard that they've recently added pulled pork to their menu, so I need to go try that out at some point here. There are other non-chain BBQ places in Orlando as well - our local food critic prefers O'Boys. Don't expect too much from Orlando BBQ though; we are geographically in the South, but not culturally, so the BBQ suffers! :p

2BoysMum&Dad
03-09-2004, 05:29 PM
jann - please don't make yourself suffer tooooo much purely for the purposes of scientific research! I hate the thought of anyone torturing themselves by going out for a good meal at a nice restaurant! LOL.

By the way, I would love to know what Americans think of burgers at McDonalds. Give me a choice between a burger from Burger King or a burger from McDonalds and there's no question that Burger King wins hands down by miles. How do McDonalds manage to make so much money when their burgers are so disgusting! I have had McDonalds burgers in the US and Britain and are just as bad in both countries.

2BoysMum&Dad

TandyR
03-09-2004, 05:56 PM
How do McDonalds manage to make so much money when their burgers are so disgusting!

I don't eat red meat since I was about 6 years old so I can't speak for their burgers....but I think they make their money from their marketing to children...I know of many people around here hit McD's often in the winter because of the wonderful inside playplace so they will stay at McD's all afternoon...then add on top of that the Disney Happy Meal toys and then there are a ton of families roped in. :-) Also the fact I personally think their fish sandwhich is better then BKs. (That is what gets us there on freezing cold well below 0F winter days when my girls need an inside playplace. :D ) So I don't think they ever marketed their burgers as being good. ;)
The only time I have ever looked forward to McD's food was when I was a teenager and I was coming home after spending 3 weeks in the USSR and I had a layover in Sweden....I saw a McD's and I ran to it for a fish sandwhich that I knew basiclly what it was. ;)

AlisonB
03-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm really loving this thread!!

I've just starting working with a guy from Minnesota - and we spent all day today talking about food differences between the UK and the US!

Apparently the things he misses most from the US are Mountain Dew (can't buy it over here), ice in drinks and lobster tail.

He loves British chocolate (candy) and our crisps (chips).

mslangen
03-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

I thought I should add my thing about this food treat.
I'm living in the Netherlands, so our food habitats should come more close to the people in the UK.

Here is how we do it here in the Netherlands.
1. Eating with knive and fork.
While eating we have the knive in our right hand and the fork in our left hand. Also if you don't need to cut anything the knive is used to put food on the fork. If we need to cut a piece of meat we turn the fork 180 degrees so its easyer to put it in the piece of meat to hold it in place while cutting it. If we a piece of meat we also use turn the fork to prik in the meat and wile bringing the fork to our mouth we turn the fork 180 degrees before we put in in our mouth.
Think what we do is the most simular how they do it in the UK.
At school we learned that how we eat are known table manners.
Of course at home things can differ. At breakfast we don't use a fork most of the time and eat the food with our hand and we use the knive only to cut the bread and to put butter or anything else on it. Our breakfast don't have hot dishes, only bread with cold cheese, meat or something sweet.

2. BBQ or Barbeque.
I think barbeaue is much different here in the Netherlands.
When we talk about Barbeque or a barbeque we are reffering to a most times sunny evening when people use their Barbeque. The equipment to bake/prepare pieces of meat above a fire is called a barbeque. Its placed outside the house because of the smoke comming from it.
A barbeque is also called a party someone organizes. The invited people are comming can eat pieces of meat from the barbeque. This goes allong with a buffet with bread, salads, dipping sauces and the like. However its possible in the cold winter months a barbeque is most known as a summer event. On those days that you can sit outside your home to eat.
When people do a barbeque its an event for at least an hour or two or three. You don't eat all in once but its spread out over the evening.

3. Tea.
In our country tea is very common. Its allways coffee or tea. Most people actually preffer coffee. I don't like coffee and then its common to drink tea. This are the two hot drinks that are common while working in most offices or anyplace else where you want something hot to drink. Hot chocolate is more a out of the ordinary thing what you don't drink all day long.

OK, thats my part about the food differences.

Marcel.

BCV23
03-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Marcel, thanks for adding some info on dining differences in the Netherlands. One of my BILs is from Belgium and we enjoy asking him about their customs. It is so fun to learn about other cultures.

Great points about BBQ. When I was young, BBQ as a verb meant grilling in our part of the USA. As a noun, it meant a party as you describe or a grille. Now we say grilling if we're cooking on a grille and don't use BBQ as a noun unless it's describing a party. Otherwise, it's an adjective in these parts...as in BBQ'd ribs, etc..

I really have enjoyed how everyone is describing differences without implying that their way is the best. This forum is so positive!!!

BONZO
03-10-2004, 05:07 AM
Oooh - don't you just love a food thread?

A couple of observations made over the last couple of years.

Iced water When we used to go to restaurants you'd always be handed a glass of iced water - This only happened in Perkins last year and we had to ask at other places.

Free refills of soft drinks - rarely happens in the UK but some chains like Nando's are offering this.

Bottled water - doesn't have the same taste as "European" bottled water.

Mountain Dew - we can't get it over here as it has too much caffeine and they won't produce a "watered down" version.

Chocolate - Things like Hershey bars taste very different to UK chocolate

Graham Crackers - These are similar to our sweet digestive biscuits

Biscuits - (as in Chicken and biscuits) - we know these as scones and are a savoury item

Marmite / Bovril - Are you familiar with these items?

Chips / Crisps / Fries - for us you have chips with fish, Crisps are a savoury potato snack, and fries are french fries a la McDonalds

Saltines - These are like our Ritz crackers - but why do you get them with sandwiches?

Scrapple - what's that all about?

Bubble & Squeak - anyone tried this?

Back for more later :chat:

UKDEB
03-11-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by AlisonB
Apparently the things he misses most from the US are Mountain Dew (can't buy it over here)
Alison, your collegue can get the genuine article online at CyberCandy (http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/search/index1.php/url_indprod/xdbc_539/Mountain%20Dew.html).

yecats
03-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Certainly an interesting thread.

I have worked with a number of Brits and Aussies who know live locally in New Orleans. I've noticed that no matter what they eat it is always with fork even when it is considered finger foods (fries, fried chicken, pizza, etc.). That is certainly one noticeable difference in the way we eat.

Iced Tea - if you've ever experienced the type of hot/humid days here, you wouldn't dream to drink hot tea. In all honesty, all of my friends prefer a very cold Iced Tea during the high humid days than a cold cokecola. We find that if you drink a cold coke during a humid day it really only makes you thirst for another one. A cold iced tea quenches the thirst. We also drink cold iced tea year round here as well. We have a few local places that sell Earl Grey Iced Tea which I really like but can't quite make it correctly at home. Now my mom loves to have hot black tea in the a.m. with a tad of milk.

The previous reason I stated that true BBQ is considered to be pork is because this was recently stated on a national newshow about 3 weeks ago here in the U.S. The show was considering the differences in BBQ in Kansas, Texas and the Carolinas and mentioned that true BBQ is of pork products only. Now I refer to what have sited as grilling. We go outside to grill any meats and may apply BBQ sauce to it.

Lastly, when we were in elementary school, I do recall a teacher instructing the students that it was proper to walk to your next class by walking on the right hand side of the hallway. If you ever go to any grocery store in America, we still stick to this rule. It's funny isn't it.

P.S. Every Brit I've ever met at Disney has always been nice and certainly sometimes better behaved than many Americans that I have witness there.

graygables
03-11-2004, 09:28 PM
my 15yo DD who was to head "across the pond" for 3 weeks today is having to come home instead for an MRI on her head. She had a CT scan last week (for headaches) and her Dr. called and said for her to come back for the MRI and a neurology visit. Needless to say, we are quite concerned and she's a wreck. I tried to tell her that at least she wouldn't have to try haggis, but she wasn't amused.

Please send her some pixie dust and hopes that she can try the trip again in September!

Thank you!

BCV23
03-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Prayers and tons of Pixie Dust for your daughter, Dawn.

RumpleMom
03-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Prayers and pixie dust coming from PA to Ohio.

thatchicktrish
03-12-2004, 01:02 AM
very interesting thread. Just to add...

Here in New York, we "grill" things like hot dogs and hamburgers, BBQ'*** is left for actually using bbq sauce or another sort of smoked style sauce and slow cooking your meat (pork or chicken) on the grill. When I make chicken, I am grilling it, not BBQing. I don't know anyone that says BBQing for hamburgers and hot dogs *shrugs* There is a place nearby, called Dinosaur BBQ that I am addicted to, they slow cook all their ribs, brisket and etc on smoke pits for 12 hours or so, you can find a few other "real" BBQ spots all over the place.

Iced Tea is a year round beverage for us here, we drink it anytime, winter or summer, my DH especially loves Raspberry Iced Tea.

I've recently noticed crumpets at our local grocery store, they look yummy!!!

Pixie Dust to graygables DD, hope everything is ok

2BoysMum&Dad
03-12-2004, 02:26 AM
Graygables, hope your DD is ok. Will she be able to reschedule her visit to the UK soon?

I would love your opinions on "hagis". There has been a recent survey here in the UK about hagis and would love your opinions about the best way to cook it and what it actually is.

2BoysMum&Dad

bubblefactory
03-12-2004, 04:54 AM
Fair fa' your honest, sonsy face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin' race !
Aboon them a ' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe or thairm;
Weel are ye worthy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

Robert Burns, To a Haggis.
This dish is served on Burns' Anniversary, 25 January, and St Andrew's Day, 30 November.

1 stomach bag
Liver, lights and heart of a sheep
1 breakfast cup oatmeal
2 onions
8 oz shredded mutton suet
salt and black pepper
Clean stomach bag thoroughly and leave overnight in cold water to which salt has been added. Turn rough side out. Put heart, lights and liver in a pan. Bring to boil and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Toast the oatmeal on a tray in the oven or under grill. Chop the heart, lights and liver. Mix all the ingredients together with suet, adding salt and pepper. Keep mixture sappy, using liquid in which liver was boiled. Fill bag a little over half full as mixture needs room to swell. Sew securely and put in a large pot of hot water. As soon as mixture begins to swell, prick with a needle to prevent bag from bursting. Boil for 3 hours.
Serve with mashed potatoes and mashed turnip. Serves 6-8.

BONZO
03-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Just to wander back into the murky depths of Iced Tea! - LOL

Liptons did start a marketing campaign over here a while back but it went down like a lead baloon - same as instant tea even longer ago.

The only way we have Iced Tea is in a Long Island Iced Tea cocktail.

NMAmy
03-12-2004, 09:01 AM
I love this thread! My DH is a Brit although he's lived in the states for over 20 years and this is a regular topic of conversation at our house. He's taught my DD to eat "correctly" holding the knife and fork as mentioned earlier and also to drink hot tea with milk and sugar. His big problem when he goes to visit his family now is that they have no coffee maker! It makes him crazy to not be able to have real coffee in the morning.

We did some travelling in northern England with his brother and SIL last summer. SIL asked me why restaurants in the states have such huge portions. I explained that I usually eat half my meal and take the rest home in a doggy bag for lunch the next day. She was amazed that a server would actually bring you a takeaway container in a sitdown restaurant. Now the funny part was that the next day we went to a pub in Haworth and I ordered fish and chips. I got 3 HUGE pieces of fish along with the chips and peas. I asked her where she had eaten at the states that had bigger portions.

Another BIL has not travelled much and at our first meeting/dinner, my MIL had picked up some prepared food from the store. As we were eating ham and pasta salad and fruit, BIL turned to me and asked if I was ok with this "different food from what I was used to!" Umm...yeah, I can handle that cultural difference.

I can't wait to go back this summer...his family is so good to me and make each visit very special

LglBlonde
03-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Love this thread! I have an English friend who came to visit last September! We had a good time discussing not only food differences but various cultural differences too.

The one thing she could not get over was "biscuits" and gravy, or that they serve biscuits at chicken restaurants like KFC, since she thinks of a biscuit as a "scone."

We also got a kick out of the whole chips & crisps thing.

She took back a case of Hershey bars to the UK, b/c she said they cannot get anything like our Hershey bars over there. I took her to Sam's so she could buy a case.

She also brought me tons of Jelly Babies, which to my knowledge, we don't have anything quite like them here! Yum!

Also, I've been in England, but it's been a good ten years ago, so nothing sticks out in my mind except the warmish beer and soft drinks and not being able to get enough ice! Also, I was there for three weeks and to save money, we went to a grocery store to buy stuff to make sandwiches. I remember you could not get plain YELLOW or DIJON or BROWN mustard there. It was all very "hot" "spicy" mustard that we could only use a very little bit of. Another thing I remember is I swear that Heinz Ketchup tasted differently there. And, at a BK at one of the London Train Stations, the ketchup was sold for 10 p and it came in something akin to the BBQ sauce cups, instead of packets like we have here. I also love Hard Cider, which is much easier to find in the UK than here.

And finally, I'll note that my English friend told me that things like Mike's Hard Lemonade, or Smirnoff Ice type flavored alcoholic drinks were outlawed there because it seemed they were marketed to kids. So she was surprised to see them in our grocery stores. Oh, I could go on and on and on!!!

yecats
03-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Off topic - Graygables, PIXIE DUST, PIXIE DUST, PIXIE DUST AND A FEW PRAYERS THROWN IN.

P.S. - I absolutely hate the instant mix iced tea. It is always too lemonie or too sweet.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Biscuits in the uk are what Americans call cookies. In some places you can buy "American cookies" which are large and very slightly on the chewy side.

2BoysMum&Dad

crisi
03-12-2004, 03:36 PM
We just had this conversation at lunch - a bunch of American women living in Minnesota (and having been raised all over the country - and travelled all over the world) eating with a woman from Ireland.....

But one thing we realized is that America is VERY regional and VERY ethnic.

For instance, if you talk about BBQ, I think of beef BBQ with a tomato/honey sauce - or of Bulgogi! Bet many Americans wouldn't consider Bulgogi as BBQ (bet a lot of you don't know what I'm talking about).

Likewise, my friend of Scandinavian ancestry believes meals revolve around dairy (and white food) - where I'm of Italian decent - all meals involve pasta and marinara. I never saw potatos served at my Italian grandmother's house - and never saw a meal without them at my German grandmother's house.

Salad....my Irish friend said she never saw salad come before a meal - practically a rule in US dining. We eat a lot of lettuce salads over here.

My vegetarian friends wouldn't know how to compare Burger King and McDonalds (and there are lots of vegetarians in the US). And my kosher friends have never had a cheeseburger. (I prefer McDonalds - I find BK to be dry. But neither has decent hamburgers - and before children I went five years without ever eating a fast food burger).

We have many Indian restaurants here in the Twin Cities (went to lunch at one last week). My family eats Thai once a week (and Mexican maybe twice a year). Cheese soup is a Wisconsin thing (mmmm, beer cheese soup - with popcorn on top). Sushi is sold at the grocery store (they have a sushi chef there to make it fresh) and available in my company cafeteria. My four and five year old can handle chopsticks - and that isn't uncommon. Okra is NOT a foodstuff (although a Southern friend cooked my girlfriends fried okra a few years ago - quite yummy), few people think grits are edible (we are Cream of Wheat folks up here), and sweet tea is something we stumble across if we visit the South. And our "weird native food" is wild rice (mmm.....wild rice soup).

I know plenty of people who can make a very good cup of tea - although it tends not to be Earl Grey - herbal or Asian (Green, Jasmine, Oolong) tend to be a lot more common in my circle.

(I think breakfast sausage is gross and hate it when maple syrup gets on my bacon --- ick).

Tarheel Tink
03-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Love this thread!

A CM at Akershus in Norway at Epcot mentioned while talking to us the the living arrangements for World Showcase CMs from other countries involved apartments with a mix of different countries represented. If I understand it, they did not put the same countrymen together and you had to get along; there was no switching roommates, you just went home if you couldn't deal with it. She said the first morning they ate breakfast they all could not get over what different things they all ate for breakfast!
We seem to all find food a common denominator!

2BoysMum&Dad
03-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Sorry, just have to ask this one! Grits have been mentioned a few times here. What is it?!!!!!

2BoysMum&Dad

sha_lyn
03-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Sorry, just have to ask this one! Grits have been mentioned a few times here. What is it?!!!!!

2BoysMum&Dad

They are basically a ground corn product that is usually prepared as a hot breakfast side dish or hot cereal. they are very popular in th southeast, but have caught on in some other areas. I've seen them prepared sweet or savory, and it now seems popular to serve them as a dinner side dish with cheese in them. this southern girl would rather have cream of wheat or cream of rice.

BCV23
03-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by sha_lyn
They are basically a ground corn product that is usually prepared as a hot breakfast side dish or hot cereal. they are very popular in th southeast, but have caught on in some other areas. I've seen them prepared sweet or savory, and it now seems popular to serve them as a dinner side dish with cheese in them. this southern girl would rather have cream of wheat or cream of rice.

sha_lyn, are grits similar to polenta? I've never had grits.

tiggersmom2
03-12-2004, 09:37 PM
BCV23,
I'm not sha_lyn, but I am from the deep south and I do love grits. That being said, Yes, grits are somewhat similar to Polenta.:wave2:

yecats
03-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Crisi, I couldn't agree with you more. America has very cultural regions and is very ethnic.

Yes, grits are like polenta. I don't eat grits or cream of anything. I don't like syrup to touch my bacon either.

Cultural and Ethnic example: we have a version of french bread here. It's similar to a true loaf of bread you would find in any french bakery but ours is a little different with a harder crust. Many people think it is like a sub loaf but subs are a lot softer and has a different taste. You will not find our type of french bread outside of a 50 mile radius of New Orleans. Additionally, we eat beignets, a local type of donut with powdered sugar on top. It is a staple here and many people make them at there own homes. The only other place outside of New Orleans that I have ever had a beignet is at POFQ. Due to where we are located, we are also huge seafood eaters. Fried okra is another local staple. We also use more rues and brown gravy here than I believe anywhere else. Whenever, you leave LA, we find that most of the rest of the South will serve white gravy on things.

I also completely agree with you about Italian food. I am not Italian and my stomach can not take a true tomato base on spagetti. It is entirely to acidic. I come from an Irish/German family so I was raised with the meat/potato thing and never really had a spagetti meal until a started dating an Italian guy.

Here is another funny antedote of local variation. I spent a 2 week vacation in California in the mid 1980's when I was about 15 years old. I was vacationing with my dance troup and we stopped at a burger joint. My friend was at the counter and stated that she wanted her burger dressed? Did that stump anyone yet. Well it certainly stumped everyone in that burger joint, it got really quiet and everyone was looking at my friend. Anyone knows what it means to dress a burger??? No it doesn't mean to put a little pair of pants on it either.

After reading what goes into Haggis, I now know I'll never eat it. In fact, should I want to diet, I'll find someone to make that meal for meal and just place it in my refrigerator. Once I open the frig, I know I'll lose my appetite.

tiggersmom2
03-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Ya'll are probably going to think I have lost my mind, but I would probably LIKE Haggis!!!! I love Chitlins and Souse, two Ewwwww foods in the States. As a matter of fact, I can't think of ANY food that I don't like.

No, I'm not fat, I'm 5'2 and 115lbs.:teeth:

jann1033
03-13-2004, 12:00 AM
talk about regional differences. Husband's aunt in Tennessee once made us a great dinner of fried chicken and all the fixings including what she called creamed potatoes...while she was cooking and talking about these potatoes I am thinking how odd since we always had mashed potatoes with fried chicken, not potatoes with cream sauce..surprise so did she but called them "creamed". confusing but good! however their giant breakfasts with biscuits and gravy every morning would do me in...and country ham is just way too salty! but love sweet tea!

also was thinking of differences with other areas since we live near an Amish area...that would really knock the socks off the Brits since I think 90% of their main dishes have some kind of sweet, sweet side, like cold cooked carrots in a jelly like sweet/sour glaze with raisins and raw green peppers or raw broccoli with a sweet mayonaise like dressing again with raisins, corn relish: sweet corn kernels with a sweet sauce and diced red peppers or how about this for the over the top stick to the ribs meal.... thick egg noodles mixed with diced meat( usually beef) and brown gravy served *over* mashed potatoes served with giant yeast rolls of course with pie or date pudding for dessert!...that ought to keep you glued to the couch for the rest of the day!

and to address the McDonald / Burger king..I like Wendy's better but that is all fast food, not really the same as a burger cooked on a charcoal grill then nestled on a kiaser bun with lettuce tomato pickle mayo onion and ketchup...Yum add an ear of fresh picked simmered sweet corn & that tastes just like summer to me!

BCV23
03-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by tiggersmom2
BCV23,
I'm not sha_lyn, but I am from the deep south and I do love grits. That being said, Yes, grits are somewhat similar to Polenta.:wave2:

Thank you, tiggersmom. Polenta is such a trendy offering in our part of the States these days. We still never see grits on menus up here.

I don't care for sausage or black pudding either and think bacon touched by syrup would be a shame. However, good pancakes with crispy bacon nearby but not tainted by syrup is a good combo for me. Most pancakes are rather neutral here too BTW. The recipe I use for buttermilk pancakes has 1 tsp sugar/1cup flour/1 cup of buttermilk and milk etc.. The overall effect is not sweet at all which is why people add syrup or in the case of my daughter cinnamon and sugar. Thinned down a bit it would be appropriate for crepes.

I've heard of chitlins but never of souse? Please enlighten us, tiggersmom2!

tiggersmom2
03-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Well,
After I explain to you what souse is, and you know I eat it, everyone is going to think I am too strange to talk to!:p

This is how my grandma used to make souse:

Boil a hog's head (After getting the eyes and brains out)
Throw away all the bones
Take all the left over meat and cartilage and put in containers.
Put the container in the refridgerator - it will congeal
Now you can slice the souse because it is congealed
Serve with hot sauce and saltine crackers

See I told ya'll you would think I was weird:hyper:

P.S. - They do sell this in the local grocery store here!

sha_lyn
03-13-2004, 12:06 PM
tiggersmom2
thanks for answering that.

The only difference I can think of between the 2 is that traditionally (at least around here) grist were made from hominy, although now I've noticed that packaged grits came be either straight form dried corn, or from hominy corn.
Hominy is corn that has been "pickled" with lye. My grandmother always boiled her own lye from oak ashes.

Another name for souse loaf is head cheese.

betterlatethannever
03-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Well,
After I explain to you what souse is, and you know I eat it, everyone is going to think I am too strange to talk to!:p

Throw away all the bones

I watched my gradfather make it once 30 years ago. But in New Jersey, it is/was called head cheese. You put it in a container similar in size to a loaf of bread. You slice it just like any other deli meat and make a sandwich.

Ed

BCV23
03-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Well,

Throw away all the bones

Thanks for the explanation. My dad used to love pickled pigs feet for an occasional snack. I didn't even like looking at them!

This week there was a long article in the Chicago Tribune about a renaissancce in cooking with brains, kidneys, and other offal. Some Irish chef was praising the richness of flavors found in those. So you're cutting edge tiggersmon2.

N.Bailey
03-13-2004, 09:02 PM
I am just loving this thread! Up till now though, I really didn't have a whole lot to contribute, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading what everyone has to say.

Well I see, Bonzo had piped up with the what's scrapple all about question? I live in Pennsylvania and have (actually had) worked in the restaurant business for 13 years. People would come into our restaurant from all over the country at various times and I can't tell you how many times I've had to try and explain to them what scrapple is. To be truthful with you, I'm not sure where in the states you can get scrapple at, but you can get it here in Pennsylvania. What it is however is it's everything that is left after you butcher a pig I believe, (I don't remember the little farmer girls ever mentioning a cow, but I could be wrong) but it's everything that is left over grounded together. To hear the girls explain it, you'd have to wonder how ANYONE would ever be able to eat it, but....it's very popular in my neck of the woods. On a personal level, I have to be honest and tell you that I have never and would NEVER eat it myself, but my husband buys it all the time and my kids are just crazy about it.

Another thing I wanted to say was, in Germany (my mother in law was born in Germany) they make gummi bears, but when they are packaged for distribution in the states, they have to make them brighter for us to buy them. They say we Americans buy based more on eye appeal than Europeans do. I find that to be silly, but I believe it 100%.

I just love sitting around listening to my mother in law talk about the differences that the US and Germany have. I especially love her story about coming to the US and seeing a pizza for the 1st time in her life. She just thought it was soooooo disgusting. Of course once she tasted it, that disgusted feeling didn't last too long!!

I think it's quite odd too that my husband spreads nutella (readily available in the states now) on bread. My children think this is just wonderful too, but I just can't seem to get a taste for it.

Oh and I think they eat too many wursts in Germany!! LOL My husband just thinks I'm nuts!

Give me a good cup of hot tea any day though and I'm more than happy.

Oh yeah, you have great actors in Britain too. I just love Anthony Stewart Head! You could have him extradited back to the states any day!

2BoysMum&Dad
03-14-2004, 07:46 AM
I have often heard about mass manufactured food/drink having a slight alteration for the US market. Even a famous 1960s British television series had to have another last episode made especially for the American market!

The drink I have recently discovered which is different here (and I was surprised to learn) is Coca Cola. Apparently in the US it is made with some sort of artifitial sweetener, where as we use normal sugar and often Americans visiting the UK will buy British Coca Cola to take home with them!

I have also heard of Americans adding strange things to their coke drinks to make it sweeter. Isn't it sweet enough?!! LOL

2BoysMum&Dad

sha_lyn
03-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Apparently in the US it is made with some sort of artifitial sweetener

Only if it is diet does it contain artificial sweetener. They do however use corn syrup instead of cane sugar now, although I believe in Europe they might use beet sugar.

I know in some Asian countries artificial sweetener is banned so they use stevia.

I've never heard of anyone adding something to make it sweeter, but it is common to add additional flavorings like vanilla, lemon or cherry.

2BoysMum&Dad
03-14-2004, 10:46 AM
There are standard variations which the soft drink companies produce here in the UK. I have seen "with lemon" and "with vanilla". Yes, now you that mention it, the artificial sweetener would be the diet variety. I knew there had to be some difference and if it were a different sort of sugar that would make sense.

2BoysMum&Dad

mslangen
03-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi,

We in the Netherlands have Coca Cola, Coca Cola light, Cherry Coke and Vanillia Coke. (Diet Coke is simular to Coca Cola light)
We also have Pepsi, Pepsi Light, and Pepsi Max.
Don't know about the sugar.
Something I know is very different is the water. However I drink tap water in the US, it doesn't taste that good as our tap water home. I know, its because of the chlore in the water.
At home I can actually enjoy cold tap water.

Gr. Marcel.

There are standard variations which the soft drink companies produce here in the UK. I have seen "with lemon" and "with vanilla". Yes, now you that mention it, the artificial sweetener would be the diet variety. I knew there had to be some difference and if it were a different sort of sugar that would make sense.

crisi
03-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Oh, you can't drink tap water from two ends of the same city in the US and have it taste the same.

I'm in Minneapolis/St. Paul. The water for the two cities is sourced completely differently. St Paul water ususally tasted fishy in the Spring. Suburban water is sourced from someplace else. It all has different chemical/mineral content in it. A lot of people from the US don't like the water at WDW, because they believe it has a strong sulfur taste. My parents - only 20 minutes outside the city limits - had to dig their own well - so no added chemicals (floride, etc) in their water - tastes different. But the neighbors who had a different well half a mile away - that tasted different, too - different aquafur.

sha_lyn
03-14-2004, 09:37 PM
what timing. Here's a recipe my 2nd cousin sent me

Baked Grits
Easy – great with birds or fish

1 ½ cups grits
6 cups water
2 ½ tsp. Salt
1 stick butter
¼ tsp. Cayenne
3 eggs, beaten
1 pound sharp cheese, grated
1 tbsp. Chopped parsley, (optional)

Add grits to boiling salted water and cook until done.
Add butter, cayenne, eggs and ¾ cheese, mixing well. Pour into buttered 2 ½ quart baking dish; top with
Remaining cheese and bake 1 hour, 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Ron from Michigan
04-13-2004, 07:56 PM
I Loved reading everyone's replys on this post. My wife and myself will be visiting the UK for the first time in Aug/ Sept , so it was really great to hear different replys.

phillybeth
04-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Scrapple is made from the scraps left over from butchering, hence the name. It's sort of like pork pudding or white pudding- bits of pork chopped up fine mixed with cornmeal and steamed in a loaf shape. It's then sliced and lightly fried, and usually seved at breakfast.

In America biscuits are like savory scones, or at least they are not sweet. Probably similar in taste to a crumpet, they are rather bland and need something like butter, jam, honey or gravy.

UKDEB
04-14-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by LglBlonde
Also, I was there for three weeks and to save money, we went to a grocery store to buy stuff to make sandwiches. I remember you could not get plain YELLOW or DIJON or BROWN mustard there.

And finally, I'll note that my English friend told me that things like Mike's Hard Lemonade, or Smirnoff Ice type flavored alcoholic drinks were outlawed there because it seemed they were marketed to kids
Things have moved on a bit now, LglBlonde. Our supermarkets sell every kind of mustard imaginable! The TV food programmes (the kind which create celebrity chefs) have created a huge demand for higher quality and more diverse produce. The British public has also become very demanding with regards to health issues - it's possible to buy virtually anything in organic and sugar and salt free varieties, and there's a huge backlash against GM foods.

Drinks like Smirnoff Ice are still available and are identical to those you have in the States. The ones which were banned were those which were dubbed 'alcopops' because they were blatently targetting kids with the names, label designs and colours.

LglBlonde
04-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Deb,

That's great to know if I ever make it back over there! This was exactly ten years ago, so not surprised on the progress.

On the alcohol, I can't remember exactly which flavored malt beverages it was, except that when Jess was here and we went to the grocery store, she was surprised to see it sold here.

Jenni

sconnell
04-14-2004, 10:45 AM
One thing that contributes to the flavor of the Coke is the water. I think some of the different places in the states that bottle Coke produce a slightly different taste because of the difference in the water. Coke is always better when it is good and cold and from a glass bottle. However, being a Georgian, I love Coke anyway! When I have traveled abroad, I have truely enjoyed trying everything the way the locals eat it, including Cokes! I found that I occasionally like a Coke that's not ice cold, and in Paris I got a slice of lemon, not a wedge, in the bottom of my Regular Coke. Has anyone ever been to the Coca-cola Museum in Atlanta, GA? They have a very interesting area where you can taste the different products that they sell around the world! If you ever have a layover in Atlanta, check it out!

UKDEB
04-14-2004, 11:27 AM
We're planning an eastern road trip next April. The current plan (although it will probably change a few hundred times!) is to fly into Philadelphia, then on to Washington DC, spend a couple of days driving Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, on to Charlotte, NC...then we're wondering whether to go straight to Charleston, SC, or whether to take a diversion to Atlanta. What do you think, sconnell? Or are there better places in Georgia we could visit? What I'd really like to do is spend some time in Augusta for The Masters, but I understand tickets are almost impossible to get hold of.

sconnell
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Masters tickets are pretty hard to get, unless you know someone. However, if you can get some, go. It is wonderful! As for the rest of Georgia, there is a lot to see and do. If you are into history or historic places, Georgia is full of it. The city of Atlanta is great, as far as cities go. There is plenty to do and great places to eat. Since you are going to Charleston, I would drive a little south to Hilton Head Island, Disney has a resort there I believe, or Historic Savannah. Savannah is the oldest city in GA. A walk down riverstreet is a nice treat, it's cobblestone and filled with shops and history. There are carriage rides and trolly tours. There are museums and other points of interest, you can find more about them on the web. (There are numerous sites about visiting Savannah.)
I'm not sure what kind of trip you are planning, but Georgia has some of everything. Beaches, Mountains, Farms, and Cities. If you want some adventure there is Six Flags Over Georgia and White Water (a water park) both near Atlanta. There is great shopping in Atlanta.
Well, I guess what I am saying is that where you want to go in Georgia depends on what you want to do while you are here. Charleston probably is a lot like Savannah (historically). So if you are wanting to do something different, visit Atlanta. There is something there for all ages, all cultures, all frames of mind.
If you want to ask anything else, go ahead. I would love to help you come up with things to do!

UKDEB
04-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We're definitely into history and we'd like to experience as much diversity as possible. What I didn't mention is that, after Charleston, we intend to carry on to Savannah and then down the coast (stopping at a few places - probably St Augustine for one) and finishing the trip with 10 days or so at WDW. That means that Atlanta is a bit of a diversion, but we'll probably include it, time permitting.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, guys. Please resume the original topic! :)

daisax
04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
For what it's worth, I saw a Food Channel or Discovery Channel show on table manners and interestingly, the American habit of switching the fork from left to right IS the traditional "proper" English way of eating. That's the way English folks ate at the time of colonization.

After the split, the Brits eventually switched to keeping the fork in the left hand, while the Americans stuck with the "old" ways.

So what seems like a lot of useless fiddling with silverware is just retained archaic manners on our part!

kassa

DavidUK
04-16-2004, 04:17 AM
hey! i enjoyed reading this thread! i usedto work in an american theme reastaurant, won metion the name but it was always good on one dat of the week! and we had to serve in american style, which we were given training in, a lot of training!

Ice... ... the american rule is 3 cubes over the glass, our guests from the US got this the UK thought youwere diddling them out of a drink! the reason it is done is cus if you only have a couple then they melt quickly and your drink gets warm!!

Service... Americans will ask for stuff and want stuff changed like mash for fries etc and they will as outright for it whereas UK Guests think they are being rude and won't ask! used to annoy me! and UK Guests won't complain if they don't like something! i can tell if someone doesn't enjoy their food and always ask if they eant it changed which was policy at the restaurant but they never ever would but you bet that two days later you'd get a letter saying how it was the worst meal ever! if only they'd let me sort it out there and then!!

and my favourite TIPPING!! US see it as neccisary and tip as they spend like 10% etc, UK guests think £1 is okay if they spend £400 or £10 it isn't related to how hard you work just if they are tippers or not it isn't built in like it is in americans!

DavidUK
04-16-2004, 04:33 AM
ooooh just saw something and it jogged my memory...

Iced Tea.... I HATE Iced tea, takes soooooo long to make and here in the UK we make it wrong! well that's according to quite a few of the US Guests i served!! and i was making it how i was supposed to !!! hehe ... ... and there is no iced tea in a long island!! it was created to look like iced tea in the prohibition so the police wouldn't see what they were drinking and also was useful in hiding the taste of Bathtub Gin as it was vile! There we go my 'Cocktail History' Classes come in handy!! exept they weren't called cocktail history it was Mixology Theory!!!

UKDEB
04-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DavidUK
and my favourite TIPPING!! US see it as neccisary and tip as they spend like 10% etc, UK guests think £1 is okay if they spend £400 or £10 it isn't related to how hard you work just if they are tippers or not it isn't built in like it is in americans!
Not all of us, David ;) . I tip generously wherever I am, but I do agree that a lot of Brits don't get it.

DavidUK
04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Not all of us, David . I tip generously wherever I am, but I do agree that a lot of Brits don't get it.

Me too but it tends to be those of us who have worked as waiters or on a bar! but us brits are getting better!

Snoopymom
04-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Fun! Something I didn't see mentioned is that when visiting Ireland our food and soup was always steaming hot when it was served and I loved it!!! Maybe American restaurants are afraid of being sued over someone burning himself.

Also, I just remembered, we sat with a British family for dinner for a week on a cruise and they sent their food back the first night because it wasn't hot enough and then the rest of the week our waiter knew to make sure the food was hot for our whole table so I was very grateful. (They also loved talking to us about our infamous president Clinton and the scandal that was going on at the time, LOL.)

One question, what are the bottles of orange cool-aid looking like stuff sitting on the bars in the pubs? People would add whatever was in the bottle to their drinks. Whenever I asked, all I got was..."you wouldn't like it".

Oh, and we were always recongnized over there as Americans because one of us was always wearing a "golf cap" (baseball hat) LOL.

cajunmommy
04-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Hmm.. well yecats, I know exactly what you're talkin' about. Looks as though no one else caught it. Of course, I would rather think about a dressed shrimp po'boy....or dressed roast beef po'boy smothered in debris gravy! Yummy.

btw... You're partially right about not being able to get beignets & French bread outside of New Orleans. I know of a handful of bakeries throughout SE & SW LA who get the bread right (most poboy shops here in Baton Rouge, however, don't have a clue). You can also get really good beignets here as well. Now, venture any further north, west, or east, and your opportunities become very slim indeed. If you do stumble across the real deal, it's probably some home-sick expatriate who decided to open up shop on their own.

Is it lunch time yet??? Tummy's starting to grumble.

Regarding the souse recipe. That is a truly basic recipe. When my family made hog head cheese, it was usually flavored up with the addition of green onions, bell peppers, parsley and several spices. It's a tailgating must have - as long as you don't forget the beer & saltine crackers!

Tinkerbutt
04-16-2004, 05:03 PM
When I was England I didn't get the whole "hot" thing...it was like they boiled it for an hour....I mean it only gets sooo hot. After it hits the boiling point it can't get any hotter! And of course there is my tongue and taste buds I'd like to keep. I kept asking for more ice (I think they thought I had gone mad!) and I kept adding it to everything! :p After taking that first sip of tea that first evening.....:eek: I'll never make that mistake again!