PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat sensitive ? about V&A

TartanFan
03-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Is it possible to pre-pay at V&A? Here's my dilemma! We're celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary (2 months belatedly!) in August by cruising DCL for a week then 4 days in Orlando before heading home.

I've always wanted to try V&A and this seems like the perfect excuse! I know DH would love the ambience, food, wine parings and overall experience of V&A but I also know that he'd have a MAJOR problem with the bill! (He's a canny Scot, after all!). I, however, have no issue with picking up the tab just this once!

Can I organise it so that he will NOT get to see what it cost?

Thx for any input xx

solotraveler
03-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Hmmm....

If you are staying onsite at WDW, you could just give the cost of dinner in cash applied to the room charge and just give your card at time of payment. That way you aren't charging to a credit card and your husband won't have to see the bill.

Or, you might want to consider speaking to your server and telling him/her to make sure that YOU get the check for the meal. Again, you wouldn't have to have your husbandsee the check at all.

Anyone else have any ideas??
Solotraveler:earsboy:

TartanFan
03-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Thx for the input, Solotraveler but, unfortunately, neither scenario will work! We're not staying on site - Universal and FOTL won out on end of vacation time (we'll have DD 12yrs with us although NOT at V&A!) And DH is too nosy to not look at the check even if it was presented to me!!!!!!

Anyone know if I can pre-pay so nothing is presented except the menu?

Autumngirl
03-05-2004, 03:27 PM
You could excuse yourself to the restroom and hand your card off to them then...then the check doesn't even come to the table. As far as I know there is no pre-payment, but Disney being Disney it never hurts to call and ask.... they may just be very accommodating.

I LOVE V&A's. We are celebrating my birthday there in October and I can't wait but I gotta admit the check usually leaves me :earseek:

Micca
03-05-2004, 07:49 PM
I have never been to V&A's but as the most upscale restaurant at WDW, call and tell them what you are trying to accomplish. They surely will accomodate you. Restaurants in this price range specialize in unique situations.

kilee
03-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Defintely excuse yourself and sneak off the pay. Dh or I have done this before at various places. Especially when we want to treat family.

Uncleromulus
03-06-2004, 05:31 AM
Call V&A directly, explain what you have in mind, and see if they can help you out.
You can get V&A directly via the Grand Floridian main #.
If you call much before 4:00 PM you'll likely get the answering machine. If so leave your # and they WILL call back.
Be sure to post the results!!
PS--they do post the menu just outside the entrance--at the bottom, it does have the price listed. You'll need to be sure he's spirited inside before he gets a chance to read down that far!!

JJsmama
03-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Could you purchase some Disney dollars and give them to your server before she brings the bill? Then she could just hand you your change and you'd be on your way.

Julia M
03-06-2004, 12:48 PM
I am paying for my parents to have dinner at V & A. Here's the number I was given, to have the meal charged on my card:
407-824-1893.

I am calling to arrange for the meal, and tip. I'm sure you could do the same, also. I was told this happens frequently

Julia

EsmeraldaX
03-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by TartanFan
Thx for the input, Solotraveler but, unfortunately, neither scenario will work! We're not staying on site - Universal and FOTL won out on end of vacation time (we'll have DD 12yrs with us although NOT at V&A!) And DH is too nosy to not look at the check even if it was presented to me!!!!!!

Anyone know if I can pre-pay so nothing is presented except the menu?

get up towards the end of the meal and say you are going to the ladies room. Instead go to the bill paying area and explain the situation and pay it then. Then have your server come over and say, your bill has been taken care of.

Then its up to you if you DH asks, whether to tell him or not.

TartanFan
03-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Thank you to everyone for your advice - all great suggestions!

Julia, particular thanks to you - that sounds like the road I should take.

Uncleromulus - I'll make sure to get him inside as quickly as possible - I'll talk up the experience which I'll be able to do thanks to your fabulous reviews (I think I've read them all - it's partly your fault this situation has come about!)

And I'll be sure to let you all know how it turned out!

Janet2k
03-08-2004, 09:37 AM
TartanFan, happy anniversary! I'm sure you'll be able to work something out with V&A's if you call them as has been suggested.

I had a similar dilemna on the vacation that I met you on -- I had asked my parents to stay in the suite with my daughter & I at the AKL but I did not want any sort of bill presented to me upon check-in for fear that my father would snatch it away from me and put the room on his own credit card. I called the resort in advance and also spoke with the concierge staff (since that was where our check-in would be handled). I must say the Disney CMs handled things beautifully. When I was being checked in, I was given four room keys with charging privileges and was not asked for any sort of credit card to secure them with (I had given my credit card info to the concierge staff via the telephone the night before). We did Express Check-Out upon our departure and no bill showed up on my door (it was arranged to be sent to my house). By the way, I had the Disney CMs make a note in my reservation that no one, and I mean no one, was allowed to offer to pay for my suite (another trick that my father likes to pull -- he can sweettalk just about anyone into anything and I was afraid that he would do that with the AKL bill). Like I said, Disney handled everything beautifully.

Have a wonderful time in WDW & Universal! Give my regards to your daughter (my daughter sends her regards to you all).

BCV23
03-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Julia M
I am paying for my parents to have dinner at V & A. Here's the number I was given, to have the meal charged on my card:
407-824-1893.

I am calling to arrange for the meal, and tip. I'm sure you could do the same, also. I was told this happens frequently

Julia

You know this is another example of which CM you reach. Some friends wanted to treat us to dinner at V&A as a Chritmas gift on one of our trips last year (they were not going to FL). THe CM our friend talked to insisted there was no way to pre-pay. They ended up buying Disney Dollars at a local Disney Store. We had a great dinner!

I don't know but imagine he talked to someone at WDWDine following the prompts.:rolleyes: