PDA

View Full Version : Blue Zoo or Spoodles: Help me decide

catnik
03-04-2004, 02:03 PM
DH and I are planning an adults only dinner while we are at WDW in May. We originally had reservations at Citricos (had never been, read the positive reviews with the new chef/manager, etc). Well, we were able to reserve Breathless for the night of our dinner. Trying to get from the GF to the Yacht Club marina seems too hurried/not at all romantic. We are eating at Cape May earlier in the trip with the kids. Have eaten at FF in the past and wanted to try something new. DH loves fresh seafood, so I have narrowed it down to Blue Zoo or Spoodles. Would especially like to hear from anyone who has eaten at Blue Zoo....have looked on this site as well as others and while I can pull up the menu and read "opening" reviews, can't find many "ordinary people" reviews, if you know what I mean. TIA for your help!

madalex
03-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Haven't eaten at Blue Zoo, but there are reviews elsewhere on this site. From those reviews, it seems that BZ would be a better adults only place (I think I recall someone posting that it does not even have a kids menu). Certainly, Spoodles usually has plenty of families eating there. I know you said you wanted fish, but Yachtsman Steakhouse is right there at the YC and is also a fairly "adult oriented" restaurant.

Andy123
03-04-2004, 10:50 PM
No question... Bluezoo... Not even close. Spoodles is wonderful, but it is definitely a family-type restaurant. The food is good, but it is very loud, etc. With that being said, Bluezoo can be 2-3 times the price of Spoodles. Bluezoo is very cutting-edge cuisine, Spoodles is wonderful favorites. Hope this helps!

marlogood
03-05-2004, 10:03 AM
We just returned from WDW...we had dinner at the BlueZoo and loved it. The fish was awesome. The selections were great and you can choose which sauce you want to accompany your selection. It is pricey, but well worth it. Also a great atmosphere.

It is definitely an adult restaurant.

Don't miss it. I think it may become one of your favorites.

We also like the Flying Fish.

catnik
03-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks to all.....we definitely want to have a special adults only night out so it sounds like Blue Zoo is the winner :D

marlogood: what did you order at Blue Zoo? Any special appetizers, etc. you would recommend?

sueg
03-05-2004, 04:13 PM
DH & I want to eat at Blue Zoo during our March trip. (I'm doing the single digit dance) I was not able to reserve thru DVC dining. You can reserve directly thru the Swan & Dolphin website or call (407)934-1111. I'm trying the website once I get home from work. I'd love to hear more about the dining options at Blue Zoo..it will only be DH & I. DSs have agreed to stay in our unit & eat the kind of dinner that we usually object to i.e. burgers, cheese fries etc. Ah, parenting & the art of compromise.

catnik
03-05-2004, 04:30 PM
sueg:

Here is the updated menu for the Blue Zoo:

http://www.swandolphin.com/restaurants/bluezoo/menu.cfm?menu_id=3

We promised our kids that they could eat whatever junk food (pizza, etc) they want and watch TV/DVDs while we are gone....after all, they are on vacation too, right??!!

marlogood
03-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Catnik:

Sorry...my computer has been down. I had the "simply grilled fish" I chose mahi-mahi with the crab sauce. Unbelievable. My fiance had the crisp sea bass. He said it was fantastic. For appetizer, I ordered 4 blue point oysters...you can order as many as you want, as they charge by the piece.

Loved them!

Enjoy. I'm sure this will be one of the highlights of your trip.

laurabelle
03-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by sueg
DH & I want to eat at Blue Zoo during our March trip. (I'm doing the single digit dance) I was not able to reserve thru DVC dining. You can reserve directly thru the Swan & Dolphin website or call (407)934-1111. I'm trying the website once I get home from work. I'd love to hear more about the dining options at Blue Zoo..it will only be DH & I. DSs have agreed to stay in our unit & eat the kind of dinner that we usually object to i.e. burgers, cheese fries etc. Ah, parenting & the art of compromise.

I made reservations through Disney Dining. At first the CM couldn't find it, because I asked for bluezoo...it's listed under it's "proper name" Todd English's Bluezoo.
HTH

Andy123
03-08-2004, 10:18 PM
For an appetizer, my wife had the grilled chicken skewers…
chickpea hummus, black olive, toasted pitas, feta vinaigrette ($8.00) which were wonderful... but mine clearly won, and was one of the most fabulous dishes I've ever had (it's also the staff's favorite) teppan seared jumbo sea scallops…… braised beef short rib, silky cauliflower puree. An odd combination, but it went perfectly together. Really outstanding. For dinner, my wife had "cantonese lobster" two-pound maine lobster……fried and tossed in sticky soy glaze. Taken out of it's shell, it was presented as if it were whole. It was outstanding. I had the spit-roasted block of swordfish tomato pepperoncini salad……black olive orzo, toasted garlic bread crumbs. It was phenomenal. Not your typical swordfish steak. Actually reminded me more of Wahoo or another white fish. Best swordfish I've ever had. We skipped dessert, but would not the next time. The Pasty Chef is the best in the country (won the James Beard award or something comperable).

catnik
03-08-2004, 10:27 PM
marlogood and Andy123:

Thanks for the menu suggestions......sounds wonderful! With 4 kids, we do not get out much anymore so we really wanted to splurge on a night of outstanding food and atmosphere!

Anyone else have any reviews about Blue Zoo? Dessert suggestions?????

sueg
03-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Laurabelle,
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that Disney Dining should have been able to make a PS & my CM, while very pleasant, wasn't very well informed. I was selected for a random survey after that call & while I did not rate the CM as excellent, I would have rated her even lower if I knew the info was there, albeit, "hidden". I had a bad experience reserving thru the bluezoo website. In fact, I'm calling later this AM to undo a 9:30PM PS, which they say I requested, but I know I requested 6:30-7PM. Although it's an adults-only dinner, 9:30 would be a joke for us. Watch the couple fall sleep into their delicious, expensive dinner!
I know this dinner sounds like a great experience, but I've spent more time trying to reserve it than I spent on all the PSs for the whole trip!

laurabelle
03-09-2004, 12:34 PM
sueg- I'm sorry you had that experience. My CM couldn't find it at first, said he never heard of it, but he scrolled down the list and found it, and let me know how it was listed. That's a huge pet peave of mine, I wish there was continuity when you call Disney... :rolleyes: I hope your dinner there makes up for it, bluezoo sounds awesome! Make sure you post when you get back.:wave:

kennancat
03-09-2004, 05:37 PM
The Orlando Sentinel food critic recently did a review of bluezoo (hey, that rhymes :p): http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/dining/orl-dining29_dntm022904feb29,0,588857.story?coll=orl-caldiningtop

catnik
03-09-2004, 08:35 PM
kennancat:

Thanks for the link....not sure it will sway me from trying it myself but always good to hear "the other side". As for the prices being outrageous, let's face it......Disney restaurants as a whole are not known for their extra value meal deals :D

sueg
03-10-2004, 09:16 AM
I called Swan & Dolphin dining reservations. I got a very friendly & efficient person who apologized(!) for the erroneous seating, cancelled it & was able to give us a 6:30 ressie/PS (I don't know if Swan & Dolphin have that Disney adversion to the word "reservation"). Fresh seafood, here we come.

catnik
03-10-2004, 01:17 PM
sueg:

Since you will be going before me, please post a review when you get back. Have a great trip :D

Mainebound
03-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Blue zoo!! Blue Zoo!! Blue Zoo!!

Ate there a few nights ago -- one of the best meals of my life!!

catnik
03-10-2004, 08:19 PM
mainebound:

Tell all.....what did you eat, how was the ambience, etc etc!