PDA

View Full Version : phony food poisoning

CaptainJackSparrow
03-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah, on our CBS news station (probably in an attempt to bash ABC-Disney) they claimed to have gone undercover and found all of these health food violations in disney parks. the violations were simply for undercooked meat, something that probably happens everywhere. this was a cheesy attack at disney and i would love to see what would happen if we went undercover at some CBS-affilated park like Universal or something. the disney rep that stuck up for disney on this program was very good at sticking up for disney and its food prep methods and how disney has been credited for excellence in food saftey. just thought i would share this outrage with you guys. ROCK ON DISNEY!!

- Jack Sparrow

RoyalCanadian
03-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow
the violations were simply for undercooked meat, something that probably happens everywhere.

You do understand the deadly diseases that can be transmitted through undercooked meat, don't you? E.Coli. poisoning is just one disease easily passed through ground beef that has not been properly cooked. E.coli poisoning can result in kidney failure and death. A fairly high price to pay for a "simple violation" such as undercooked meat at Cosmic Rays or some other Disney restaurant.

While we all enjoy Disney, we cannot be blind to such serious mistakes. Just because it was a CBS station doesn't necessarily indicate bias against Disney/ABC.

2minny
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Royal Canadian, I was thinking the same exact thing while reading the post, at first I thought they were kidding on the "undercooked meat" comment! Very serious and I'm thankful that we have people checking on thes things, here in Houston we have the famous Marvin Zindler :)

CaptainJackSparrow
03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
sorry, i actually misstated what they said on the program. it wasn't "undercooked meat," it was that they were cooking the meat at a temperature lower than what is reccomended. sorry for the mistake. hope this changes your opinion

- The Captain

slp87
03-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey 2minny as a former Houstonian, I will never forget Marvin Zindler Eye Witness news. Nothing like sludge in the ice machine to totally gross you out!!

gopherit
03-01-2004, 09:03 PM
I used to really endorse shows like 20/20 and such, the undercover "eye" that sees all and "helps" Americans from getting used, fleeced, exposed to germs or toxins, etc. And then something happened -- one of those very "reputable" news shows did a story on something right in my backyard, at a place where I actually work, where I knew the inside story, and what the interviewed persons said. I expected our company's report to stand tall -- I knew the scientific data. At the very least, I expected the news to tell all sides, let all voices be heard -- wrong. They chose to show the sensationalist, "run for your lives, citizens!" side. The way they edited (what the spokesperson actually said -- versus what was SHOWN to TV viewers) -- gave a totally-out-of-context edge to this sensationalist journalism. And they broadcast it. Shame on them... and shame on me all these years for believing what I saw on TV was truth when presented in a way that was supposed to be "helping AMericans". The Americans they help with these shows are themselves -- the networks -- because I assure you, there would have been no payout for a show titled, "Disney Dining -- Hey America, It's Pretty Safe!" And they knew it.

I believe in the threat of EColi, I believe that some restaurants are not clean. And I believe that is what health inspections are for. I will never watch another "news flash", however, the same way.

Tink n Poohbear
03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
I hear you, gopherit! Dateline did a story on the company that I work for too. I saw the entire interview before it was edited, then when I saw the final version I couldn't believe it! It was completely misrepresented. Really makes you stop and think about how inaccurate the information you see on these shows really is.

Deb & Bill
03-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by slp87
Hey 2minny as a former Houstonian, I will never forget Marvin Zindler Eye Witness news. Nothing like sludge in the ice machine to totally gross you out!!

SLIME in the ice machine, SLIME.

Marvin Zindler, Eyewitness News.

Annie&Hallie'sMom
03-05-2004, 08:22 AM
This was on our local CBS news too, but I didn't bother to watch. It seems like every week they are doing another, "Caution -- Before You Eat". They've done local restaurants, local supermarkets, Disney and even more recently "commuter" restaurants. If there is a serious problem, then I think it is news, but the way these pieces come out, you KNOW they are fishing for ratings.

And while there are alot of slimeballs out there, I too, have known of some "expose" pieces that were less concerned about getting the truth out and more about sensationalism to bring in ratings.

jewlz
03-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Regarding the news segmant on undercooked meat at Walt Disney World...or any place for that matter, my 9 year old son got E-coli last summer (source unknown) and let me tell you something, I would not wish this illness on my worst enemy. He was in the hospital and dehydrated , worst of all they cant even tell you that you have E-coli for a couple of days until the lab results confirm it. So there is no treatment . Luckily the strain my child had was not the deadly one. So when a restaurant is investigated for inappropriate handeling or cooking of food it only benefits the consumer to be extra cautious when eating out. Furthermore it educates the public about how these illnesses are spread.