PDA

View Full Version : To thank DH - a special monorail place to eat

Harambe
03-01-2004, 03:44 PM
DH says we can go back THIS September, instead of October 2005! Yeah! We have a few days off of school in mid-Sept, so we are going for our first ever "quickie" trip (only four days).

DH's birthday will be the Fri. of our trip. I think we will go to Typhoon Lagoon that day, so I was looking for a monorail restaurant to go to for a nice dinner (and then we can hop over to Epcot to grab a bus back to ASMu). We don't have to make a big deal about his birthday in public, but I wanted to thank him for squeezing this trip into the budget.

DD (110 and DS (9) will be along. Any suggestions?!?! Who has the best desserts!?!

GoodFairies
03-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Kona Cafe @ the Polynesian. Good food, great desserts.

Growin'upDisney
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
For a "fancier" type meal I suggest California Grille at the Contemporary. The view from up there is amazing. You could try to time the PS with Wishes. Kids are welcome here. The desserts are fabulous.

If you want something fun and different go with O'hana at the Poly. Coconut races and hula hooping are par for the course. Great Hang loose atmosphere and very good food served on skewers. The desserts looked amazing but was too full to attempt one.

Harambe
03-01-2004, 08:27 PM
We love Kona - went there quite a few times when we stayed at the Poly!

Now, I have always skipped California Grill because of the price, since we always do a dinner show while at WDW. But this trip is short and I am not planning on a dinner show, so this just might be the trip to do this great meal!!! And to try to see Wishes would be awesome!

Thanks for the idea!

*Flower*
03-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Citrico's at the GF is now one of my favorite places!!!

And to think that I had 'never gotton around to it' until last year...

oogieboogie
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Not on the monorail line, but just a hop skip boat ride away.

Parrothd
03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm in agreement here.........you can't go wrong with either Kona Cafe, California Grill OR 'Ohana.

If you make your PS at the right time, both California Grill AND 'Ohana have FANTASTIC views of the fireworks. California Grill is more "eye to eye" with them.......a bit off center from the castle, while from 'Ohana, they appear more "above" the castle. I remember that 'Ohana actually dims it's interior lighting during the fireworks and "pipes in" the music. What a great way to celebrate your husband's birthday!

Good luck in whatever you choose. :)

slo
03-04-2004, 08:53 PM
I absolutly say Ohana's. If your husband is like mine he loves meat and Ohanas has all you can eat chix, beef, shrimp and maybe pork on skewers which are cooked over an open fire. My husband fell in love with this place and we are going back in Sept. I loved it too!! The atmosphere is more formal than Kona's and so much more fun.

Have fun!!! :wave: