PDA

View Full Version : Wine @ Dinner

hetherp
02-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Hi,

We are new cruisers, just booked for 4 night cruise on August 22nd. I know that Disney allow you to take Wine and Beer on board, but can you take your own wine to dinner? I realise this sounds cheap but comming from the UK in August has meant more than expected expense on flights, so every penny will help.

Thanks in advance

The Hetheringtons
:bounce:

mike2beach
02-21-2004, 05:13 AM
hetherp- Yes, you can bring your own wine to dinner. They will charge you a $15 uncorking fee each time you bring a new bottle.

hetherp
02-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Thanks

That sounds a bit steep to open a bottle of wine. Are the Wine packages good value?

Phil

webray
02-21-2004, 06:54 AM
The wine packages are a pretty good value, there are some great wines. I wouldn't waste your luggage space with wine/beer.

KennyK
02-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Hi hetherp,

We've used the wine package on our 3 DCL cruises, 2-4's, 1-3 and will be using it again on our next 7 in about 48 days.

We feel it's a good value and give you a bottle of wine at each dinner. You select from a list. They have two grades, standard table wines and premiums. We are not fussy wine drinkers and just like to have some with dinner. If you don't finish it, you can take it with you to your room or have it recorked and brought it back the next evening.

You can get the current wine list on www.*****************, which is a good site to go to to get copies of navigators, menus etc. This site is hosted by Barb and Tony who are one of the moderators for this board.

Hope this helps alittle

Good luck on your cruise

kennyk

hetherp
02-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice, I am sure I will have loads more questions. This certainly seems to be the place for answers.

Phil:smooth: :smooth:

Horace Horsecollar
02-21-2004, 08:36 AM
I understand that the corkage fee (not the "uncorking fee") is $15 + 15% automatic gratuity = $17.25. That's not really the charge for pulling the cork; it's the charge to make up for the lost profit on wine sales. For very expensive wine, you might save some money, even with the corkage fee. But for typical mid-priced wines, the corkage fee would more-or-less eliminate any savings from bringing your own wine.

Also, if you bring your own, you're limited to what you brought. In the dining rooms, I'd rather pair a wine from the wine list with the dinner I'm ordering.

You might want to bring wine and a corkscrew onboard so that you can drink some wine in your stateroom. There's an electric cooler in each stateroom. It chills white wine nicely. You can borrow wine glasses from a bar, or you can bring your own. And there's no corkage fee in your stateroom.