PDA

View Full Version : underwater cameras

days-going-so-slow!!
02-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Can anyone who has used an underwater camera at Castaway Cay PLEASE tell me which is best. I am buying the film this weekend and I want to make sure we get great underwater pictures while snorkling etc. Thanks!!!! Kelley:crazy:

minniemouse1
02-20-2004, 06:44 PM
We used a Kodack max and the pictures turned out well. The quality of the pictures depends on how close you are to your subject and also if it is a sunny day. Our best pictures were on a day when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and we weren't too deep in the water. WE have also used fuji before and had success but they are a little pickier with need for more sunlight IMO. Good luck and have fun!

karebear1
02-20-2004, 06:47 PM
I was just gonna ask the same question. May I add one more? Where is the best place to buy these? Is there an online site that would have the best price?

DMS_cruisers04
02-20-2004, 06:51 PM
minnie's right, the disposables work best on sunny days and you get the best colors with closer shots.

karebear1 - Sam's, Walmart, Target, Meijer, K-Mart. Not sure about online. The last one we got for DD to use was from Walmart.
Just a thought, we've got a Canon 35mm Underwater camera also. And the pictures don't turn out any better if the conditions aren't right.

prymsu
02-20-2004, 06:52 PM
I have always had good luck with the Fuji disposable underwater cameras, and you can get those at walmart for around 7.50 for 27 exposure.

jrabbit
02-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Many months ago there was a thread on this subject. Several people had purchased underwater cameras that were NOT disposable and had a flash. They even posted some of the pic's and they were fantastic!! I have given up on trying to take pic's underwater - none have come out very good. I have used Fuji and Kodak and the results are similar. I will take one of these cameras on our next cruise for pictures while at the beach and playing in the water - because I don't want to hurt my "real" camera.

balbrec
02-20-2004, 07:33 PM
something to consider.kodak film emphasizes greens and blues
while fuji tends to emphasize the reds . so if your goingto do underwater the pictures will be more true to life with kodak. on the other hand if your are shooting fall foliage then fuji is better

balbrec:cool:

LindaBabe
02-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Balbrec, I thought it was just the opposite? Fuji for the blues and greens? Where can we check for sure?

karebear1
02-20-2004, 08:09 PM
I just read it on a search I did- it is Fuji for greens and blues.

dzneprincess
02-20-2004, 08:31 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000W45AE/qid=1077327029//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl23/002-4340165-9389617?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

Amazon has the reusable underwater camera for sale today for their Friday sale. $14.99 reg $39.99

prymsu
02-20-2004, 09:06 PM
i have to say, i have used both kodak and fugi, and i won't go back to kodak again. The colors of blue and green are much better with the fugi cameras, and i have snorkeled all over and had very good results. Just my two cents...

slabeaume
02-20-2004, 09:08 PM
You don't have to go down too far before color disappears in water (about 5-10 feet). If you have an underwater camera with a flash, the flash will bring back the color. If you use the disposable cameras, shallow pictures will turn out great in clear water. I've used both and only notice a difference below about 5 feet.

Sue L

NYDisneyMom
02-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by dzneprincess
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000W45AE/qid=1077327029//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl23/002-4340165-9389617?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

Amazon has the reusable underwater camera for sale today for their Friday sale. $14.99 reg $39.99

I just checked that out and it looked very cool for $14.99, but it's a one time use camera! :(

dzneprincess
02-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Is it? I thought it was reusable, and that it just came preloaded with 35mm film? Darn

mobetsy
02-20-2004, 09:32 PM
We have the flash one from Target that is re-useable...I think it was $20 including a roll of film. I was happy with the results we got from it on vacation last summer, although we didn't put it to any great tests; however, the underwater pics were clear and the flash seemed to add a little illumination. Besides underwater use, the advantage is that for relatively few $, you have a camera that is protected from splashes and sand around water, and can almost certainly be used more times than the comparable cost in disposables (don't the underwater ones run about $10?). We are keeping ours in a ziploc bag, because if the plastic case gets scratched in front of the lens, that blurring will always show up on your photos. For casual photographers on a wet vacation, this seems like a good choice!

dzneprincess
02-20-2004, 09:35 PM
OK DUH I see it now my fault but they do have a reloadable one for $39.00 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000W45A4/ref=pd_sbs_p_1/002-4340165-9389617?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

balbrec
02-20-2004, 11:44 PM
hey what do i know. use both and decide for yourself which is better for the different colors

balbrec:smooth:

musicgirl
02-21-2004, 07:19 AM
We will be using a digital in an underwater box. The box was about $40. We've tried it at the pool and are anxious to see how it does on the cruise.

prymsu
02-21-2004, 07:28 AM
I have tried using a camera that wasn't disposable for taking underwater photos. I personally don't like them, as you have to get out of the water to change the film, and i don't like that when i am far out snorkeling...

dzneprincess
02-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by musicgirl
We will be using a digital in an underwater box. The box was about $40. We've tried it at the pool and are anxious to see how it does on the cruise.

Where can you buy one of these?

minniemoms
02-22-2004, 02:57 AM
Back from the 2/7/ Eastern, I used the fuji camera below. Blues and greens are what you get with Fuji. The camera worked great. I wrapped it around my wrist and snorkeled all around, I took many pictures. This is currently out of stock, but they will most likely get them soon. B & H is a great place to shop. Good prices and very reliable. Good luck

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=147442&is=REG

musicgirl
02-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Amanda,

We got ours at a local scuba shop. I didn't even know we had one in Columbus, Ohio!

I tried to find a brand name on it, I'll check with dh, I'm sure he knows!

Depending on the thickness of the camera it is safe in diving depths up to 100ft. It comes with pieces of foam to secure it inside the box.

One thing we did do, we bought a second digital camera. We have a very nice digital and we didn't want to risk it. But when we used the box at the pool, we didn't have any problems. The pictures were very clear. Of course, we were in pool water and it was very sunny.

Lorie

BoardwalkBabe
02-22-2004, 12:24 PM
I use both a Canon APS underwater camera and disposable ones.

Target had FUJI disposable/underwater cameras on sale last week for $6.39 a piece, so I purchased a few so that DH and I could each have a camera when we are snorkeling instead of passing my Canon back and forth.

As for the film tones, the box colors are accurate. Fuji is great for greens and blues; Kodak is better for yellow and orange tones.

KennyK
02-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I've used the disposable cameras before and didn't like the results. I just ordered on Amazon the Sealife sd301 camera. It is reloadable but comes with one roll of film inside. It is a new release of the sd300 and won't come out until Feb 26th. It cost 11 cents more than their sd300 and it comes with film. We go on April 10 on the Magic so I'll let everyone know how it works.

I just won't take my Digitals in the water even though I have special camera bags for them I bought last year from a dive shop.

kennyk

Pacha
02-22-2004, 03:39 PM
In the reloadable underwater cameras what film speed would be best 400 or 800?

Pacha

grimgrinnin
02-22-2004, 03:47 PM
I bought an underwater housing for my digital camera. It's made by Ewa-Marine. You can find them at B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com)

It worked well - kept the camera dry as a bone.

Here's some examples:

http://www.pbase.com/image/26181358.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/26181359.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/26181455.jpg[

MrsPete
02-22-2004, 06:48 PM
From a photography teacher: There's a great article on underwater photography in this month's Popular Photography magazine. Stuff that I didn't know!

The article discusses the digital camera boxes, which seem to be a great idea since you can take hundreds of pictures without returning to shore to reload. They seemed pricey to me though.

It also gives details about when to use Kodak and when to use Fuji films. If memory serves, it recommended Kodak for macro shots and Fuji for wide, sweeping underwater vistas.

Someone asked about film speed, so I'll throw in my own opinion here: I'd try to stick to a LOW film speed for underwater -- perhaps 200. Why? Because the higher you go, the more problem you'll have with camera shake, something you can't avoid underwater. Also, if you go above 400, there's a noticeable loss of color quality.

musicgirl
02-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Here is a link about the cases for the digital cameras.

http://www.fuertecases.com/CameraShield.html

Grimgrinnin-loved the pictures!

jrabbit
02-23-2004, 01:18 PM
GrimGrinnin: Great pic's. If my underwater shots came out like that I would still be trying.

minniemoms
02-23-2004, 01:40 PM
grimgrinnin

Great pictures. where did you take those?? My fish at Castaway Cay didn't look like that??? The first and only time I have every snorkeled, didn't want to spend anything on underwater housing, that's why I used disposable, But I am an avid photographer. Using mostly Medium Format--Hasselblad, but am wanting to go digital, just am not sure which one to go with. I do use Canon lenses, as I have the Canon EOS3, but looking to go digital sometime. But Great Pictures::yes::

grimgrinnin
02-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

The first 2 were taken at Honeymoon Bay on St. Thomas. The last one was off of the adult's only beach on Castaway Cay.

I can't believe you aren't gonna get an underwater housing for your Hasselblad :hyper:

I have an EOS also (EOS 650 - am I dating myself here?). I will be purchasing a Canon 10D (or it's replacement) in the future. That one won't be going under water :teeth:

grim pirate:

LAMPSKIES
02-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I've used both Fujis and Kodaks on our last 3 DCL cruises. Kodak was much better quality (DW scraps and that is her opinion). DON'T PUT THOSE IN YOUR NON CARRY ON LUGGAGE THEY WILL BE DESTROYED!!!!