PDA

View Full Version : First Time Solo Cruiser--- Opinions Please!

solotraveler
02-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi everyone!!

I am strongly considering booking a Disney Cruise for this September. I am one of those rare solo cruisers and having never been on one before, I thought I'd ask the experts a couple pre-bookng questions.

As it is my first cruise, do you suggest the 4-day or the 7-day? Being a first-timer, I would hate to be stuck not enjoying myself for a whole week, but at the same time I don't want to regret not doing a whole week if I have a great time. I feel a little more drawn to the 7 day Western simply because I am more interested in the ports and since it's Disney, I'm pretty darn sure I'll have a good time.

My other question is regarding staterooms. I am trying to decide between the Category 7 Navegators Verandah, the Category 8 Oceanview or the category 11 inside. Is the Navagator's Verandah worth it?? Would I feel like I was missing a little something by not being able to see the water during my journey?? What would you choose between those three??

Finally-- any other previous solo cruisers, if you have any tips, please send them my way! It would be greatly appreciated!

I hope to book this weekend, so all opinions welcome!
Solotraveler:earsboy:

kcashner
02-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Ok....on the 7 day, there are several activities for "singles or travelling alone." Don't know if those exist for the 4 day as it's been years since I've been on one of those.

I trust that you are aware of the "single supplement." That's DCL for you will pay 175% of the advertised rate since the stated rate is based on double occupancy.

If you will hang out on a verandah alone, by all means, get it. If you are just as happy on the "secret" 7 aft deck (with maybe 8 deck chairs) or up on 10 with the wind whipping thru your hair, then get the inside cabin. I'd rather do more cruising in a lower cabin. However, in fairness, the only time I had a verandah, it was July and 106 degrees....so we couldn't/didn't use it. Breakfast on the verandah is wonderful....but is it as wonderful as a second cruise?

I spent many years travelling as a single...all over Europe and much of the US...before DD came along. You'll have a blast. On DCL, you will be seated with other solo travellers or single parents with older kids at dinner. Don't hesitate to make single Palo reservations. I've done it alone, and I've done it when they've asked if I'd mind joining another single. Either way, it is a good experience. BTY, when I was asked if I'd mind joining another lady, it was a last minute attempt to get a ressie. I was glad to be able to go!

prymsu
02-20-2004, 10:07 AM
I did this in June, and it was heavenly. Typically i get a verandah, but because i had to pay the single supplement, I personally went with an oceanview porthole room. Since it was just me, that worked really well.

The first night at dinner i was sitting with a bunch of families and i felt a little like the old woman out. Next day on an excursion, there was another lady by herself. We started talking, and before you knew it we were like old friends, and as soon as we got back to the ship we had our dinner reservations changed so that we could eat together. We had so much fun! Plus now i have a new friend that i communicate with on a regular basis.

kcashner
02-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Another trick is to book a GTY cabin. This means "guarantee" and means that you will get AT LEAST this level. For instance, GYT 11 means that you will be in at least an 11...but you might be in a 6, depending on how their inventory sells. Frequently, an 11 GTY is upgraded to an 8 or 9 (meaning porthole), a GTY 8 is commonly upgraded to a 6.

Obviously, you can't count on an upgrade, and you lose the ability to select your cabin. However, you do increase your chances for a nicer cabin than your charges would otherwise provide.

solotraveler
02-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks so much for your replies!

Kcashner- thanks so much for sharing your experience and advice. The added activities were another reason I am more strongly considering the 7-day. I am aware of the "single supplement" (aware of it, but don't like it). It's one of my hesitations-- having to pay almost the same amount it would cost two people.

Prymsu- Thanks for sharing your experience as well. One of my worries was the "young man out" situation, but I'm glad to hear that wasn't too much of an issue for you.

Anyone else have advice??

Solotraveler:earsboy:

wildcatwmn
02-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Hi Solo,
I just came back from the 4 night Wonder cruise solo (with my 9 year old). They did have a singles gathering at the bar one night and a lunch another, but honestly, I couldn't find the group (if they were there) and wound up picking up conversation with the others at the bar/table. We had an inside Cat 11, and it was one of the sideways rooms (6521), and it was great. There was no noise from adjoining rooms, and the only time I heard anything was the morning at sea when I was actually in the room past 8 and heard them loading towels out of the laundry closet next door. There is plenty to do at night between the Cadillac bar, Comedian, shows, etc, although there were more couples than singles. We were placed at a large table with two families with young girls (my 9 year old is a BOY), and I was going to ask to be switched, but after the first night I enjoyed the conversation with the two couples so we stayed.