PDA

View Full Version : 1 BDRM Snobs here

MAC3
02-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Okay here we are have the OKW studio booked for our trip to Disney in April and after talking about it today with my DD(on the way to school) & DH , I was on the phone with MS today to upgrade to a 1bdrm.

My DD was stunned that she wasn't going to have a living room???? So I figured while using the points, might as well waitlist for the Boardwalk too.

Too Funny, when we bought DVC we were thinking we would never use that many points on anything bigger than a studio. Why would we there's just the 3 of us & DD's friend...:eek:

Here's hoping,
Lisa

Beth
02-13-2004, 09:04 AM
I can relate, Lisa.

My DH took a new job in January, so we won't be getting vacation until next year.

I've tried to book all the 3-day weekends I can - but limited myself to studios, due to the point-expense.

It's just killing me to not have that living room.

... And it's just the two of us.... :)

SimbaCub
02-13-2004, 09:07 AM
I have stayed in a studio only once at OKW when I brought my dad and his wife on a week long trip. Since then I have stayed only in 1 bedrooms. I bought points at VWL specifically for this purpose so I would ALWAYS have a 1 bedroom!! Even if it's just me on a solo trip. I love the soaking tub, the kitchen, the living room, etc. . . :tongue:

SimbaCub

SimbaNoodle
02-13-2004, 09:16 AM
1 BR? After staying in a two bedroom last year, I don't know if I can go back to a 1 BR. LOL. Actually, I have booked my first ever studio for me and the wife for our anniversary at SSR this Sept.

I hope I can survive roughing it.:teeth:

Boo
02-13-2004, 09:17 AM
We've always stayed in studios. This May trip, however, we booked the 1 bdrm since we are now 4 instead of 3. I am so looking forward to that big tub and the washing machine! Babies should come with warning labels- do not travel without washing machine access.

DVC@BWV
02-13-2004, 09:49 AM
We are also only three in the family, but we stayed in a 1BR in December and we're hooked! Having two TVs was great, the jacuzzi tub was so relaxing, and the washer and dryer came in very handy...no dirty clothes to take home!

DrTomorrow
02-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Our first DVC stay is this May (Member Homecoming at SSR! w00t!) and we deliberately picked a studio, because we know that, once we go 1BR, we'll never go back!

pod2314
02-13-2004, 10:06 AM
We are going to BWV in October (our anniversary and the food and wine festival) and we booked a 1br for the 2 of us. My wife likes the tub and we both enjoy the extra room..We have a 2 br booked at HH in April (our son wants a friend to come along). I wonder we will ever go back to 1brís after that

sheryl0521
02-13-2004, 11:11 AM
This is too funny, as DH and I were just talking about this very subject!

Our two boys are starting to get too old to be sleeping in the sofa bed together in the 1Bdrm, so we were calculating what the difference is in point cost between the 1bed and 2bedrm.

Don't know if we will ever go back to a studio!

Simba's Mom
02-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Since we have no "children" at home (Empty Nesters), using points for anything more than a studio never crossed our mind before we bought. BUT on our 3rd trip, we tried a 1 BR for a few nights (Why, Oh Why-didn't we know what would happen?) and now, sure enough, even with only 2 of us, we'll never go back to a studio. And sheryl0521, when our 2 DS's came with us last year, we had a 2 BR, and couldn't imagine anything smaller.

LoveToDisney
02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
We have a teen and usually take another guest teen with us, which makes four. We think the 2 bedroom is a must. Not only for the extra sleeping capacity convenience, but for the washer and dryer. Sometimes the teens need to be in separate rooms, so one sleeps in the extra bedroom and one on the sleeper sofa in the living room. I don't know how easily we could return to a studio, but hope to return to a one bedroom once it is just the two of us. We like having the king size bed rather than the queen in the studio because we are tall...plus I love packing so little because we can wash and rewear our favorites!

jade1
02-13-2004, 12:11 PM
2BR here also. Spring Break is 40 points for a 2BR or 30 for a 1BR. For 10 points you get 2 more queen beds (another room), another bathroom, TV and Bar area. We often invite friends or family since its such a good deal.

Claudia Kellenberger
02-13-2004, 12:15 PM
One would think that it was wasteful to get a one-bedroom for just a solo vacation. Wrong ! I did two loads of laundry, and I enjoyed that hot tub every night to soak my weary body. I used rented points because I'm not a DVC owner.

OK........Now I'm spoiled !

dianeschlicht
02-13-2004, 12:23 PM
LOL! We stayed in a studio our 2nd DVC stay when it was just the two of us. NEVER AGAIN! We missed the whirlpool and washer/dryer TOO much! We now usually book a 2 bedroom and just assume we will find someone to go with. Often it is just one or two other people, so we usually have 3 or 4 in a 2 bedroom, but we love the extra space.

rocketriter
02-13-2004, 12:40 PM
You'll love being able to turn your lights off at a different time than the kids' lights go off! It makes for a lovely evening when the two groups are separated by a wall, even if the kids are young enough that you keep the door open.

DebbieB
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Count me in! Even when it's just my mom and I we get a 1 bedroom. We did an "extra" trip for MNSSHP last October, stayed at CBR, my mom pouted, she didn't like the "1 room" setup.

Scoootch
02-13-2004, 01:15 PM
LOL -- we get so spoiled don't we?! :teeth:

We're staying in a 1bdrm too - surprise surprise (except on the weekend anyway).

Well, you know how it all starts -- with the old stand by warning "once you stay at DVC you won't want to go back to just a regular room". Same goes for each larger unit -- once you stay in a 1bdrm you won't want to go back to a studio. ;) Boy was it hard to go down to anything smaller after staying in the GV!!:eek: But we survived it -- can't wait to do that again though LOL:hyper: :tongue:

Maistre Gracey
02-13-2004, 01:38 PM
We have yet to stay in anything but a 2br or Beach Cottage.... we have never traveled with more than four people total.
This April we will also be in a 2br, and a BC with four people.

Our first ressie for a 1br is scheduled for October '04, when it will be just my wife and me. We actually contemplated a 2br for that, as having a second bathroom is a gem. :cool:

MG

MinnieGi
02-13-2004, 01:43 PM
We bought DVC for that one-bedroom.

walter
02-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Once you stay in other than a studio, you get spoiled.

MikeSquared
02-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Before we even completed our initial 200 point purchase we decided to add on another 100 points so we could stay in 1 bdr's for both our regular June and October trips. One of the reasons we bought DVC was to have "Home away from Home" accommodations. We did stay in an OKW studio a few weekends ago and it was nice, but with the two beds it still reminded us of a hotel room. We will try a studio at another resort with a bed/couch one of these days to see if it still has a hotel feel.
Oh, just wanted to say that OKW is great! We know we want to get another 200 points in the future and were thinking about getting them at SSR just before it sold out, but now an OKW resale might be in our future.

WDWLVR
02-13-2004, 03:30 PM
We stayed in a studio once but every other time has been a 1 bedroom (or a 2 bedroom when we brought my in-laws). I love having a separate living area, love the washer/dryer, and definately love the tub!

Can't wait to try out an OKW one-bedroom - I've heard so much about them.

mikeymars
02-13-2004, 03:55 PM
>> We have a teen and usually take another guest teen with us, which makes four. We think the 2 bedroom is a must. <<

People, this is what this entire issues distills down to: composition of your party.

A family with younger kids (like ours, kids 7 and 10) loves the 1BR bedroom, for it offers all the same amenities as a 2br at a much lower point cost. Our children have their own rooms at home, but don't mind sharing the fold out couch when we travel (they get their own balcony and TV, that's more than enough incremental benefit).

The ONLY reason to move up to the additional expense of the 2BR is when your party is composed of adolescents and adults who "need their own private space" OR if you are taking a party larger than four. In three years or so, we'll be facing that (our daughter isn't going to want to share space with her younger brother then), but until that time, the 1BR rules.

Nick@ VB+OKW
02-13-2004, 04:09 PM
We have never stayed in anything less than a 1BR in 5 years.......until next week :eek: ............we booked a studio for 1 night at OKW before our cruise http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/baby21.gif.

Since it is just Cindy and I, we figured thats all we need since we will be at DD most of the night, before we leave in the morning for the port.

JimC
02-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah, we needed only one walk through the one bedroom units in the model and were sold. One bedrooms in DVC or concierge level if other Disney resort for us.

Two bedrooms if our daughters join us.

SleepyatDVC
02-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Yep, 1 bedroom snob here too.

A washer and dryer are a must! And so is the king bed.

Good thing I washed all our clothes before packing to come home last trip.

We live in an apartment building and park our car in an undergroud garage 1 block away.

We drove home last trip and got home in the middle of the night so we didn't unload the luggage from the car until 8 DAYS LATER!!! :eek: That was the week we had 8-10 inches of snow. So, we just left the luggage in the car until the next time we used the car.

MAC3
02-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SleepyatDVC
A washer and dryer are a must! And so is the king bed.

This was what closed the deal for me. Especially when DD & I started talking about it this morning. She mentioned (we won't have a living room) and I was thinking (because we are staying at OKW that I wouldn't have to cart our laundry to the laundry place by the pool.

Not to mention DH & I love that king size bed! Something tells me I will never see a DVC studio (except I'm a firm believer in never say never.)

Lisa

MJTinNH
02-13-2004, 06:09 PM
We have a 1Br booked for the longer trip in May. But for the shorter trip in Nov. I booked a studio. I hope we will be able to enjoy the studio.:) I tend to get spoiled fast too!!;)