PDA

View Full Version : Comcast is trying to buy Disney, is it time to sell???

Kick it up a notch!
02-11-2004, 07:19 AM
I am a loyal Disney fan, but how many people hate Comcast as much as I do? Their service is terrible, they don't pay attention to detail and they could care less about their customers. How do you think they will treat us?

Will you keep your DVC if Comcast buys Disney?

floridafam
02-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Will you keep your DVC if Comcast buys Disney?

YES:teeth:

kweaver
02-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Well...I'll agree that Comcast is awful. I can't even imagine what a mess they would make of Disney. With all of the strife going on at Disney right now, it would seem that they are prime for some kind of action like this. No idea what the chances of it actually happening are though.

Sounds like the board is planning Eisner's departure http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,111034,00.html , so anything could happen at this point!

We haven't even stayed as DVC members yet...I don't want to think about selling!

rocketriter
02-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Hmmm . . . an electronic communications giant buying a traditional media giant . . . wow, AOL/Time Warner worked so well, the world needs to see another debacle just like it!
:crazy:

DebbieB
02-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Why would you sell just because another company took over as the parent company? That happens all the time these days. I would give it time to see what happens and if my DVC experience becomes unacceptable, maybe consider it. But if it gets to that point, resale prices would really drop.

bobbiwoz
02-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Since I've been on the boards there had been a thread regarding if Disney turned management of DVC to another corporation, and lots of people thought that would be unlikely but possible. My heavens, what will happen to "our" DVC if Comcast takes over?
We just bought, so we're keeping it, but I'll wait on the add on.

Bobbi:D

DukeStreetKing
02-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Ok, since I am not very stock market savvy and as Martha might be saying now, "That's a good thing", what can happen if the Disney Board of Directors decide not to merge with Comcast?

What could be the next step for Comcast? Hostile takeover (and what exactly does that mean?) I think the Pirates of the Caribbean could force back any hostile moves on their property.

Thanks.

pirate:

JackieMD
02-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I have had the unfortunate experience of being a Comcast customer once. Comcast's customer service is one of the worst if not THE worst I have ever dealt with. Our family switched to Direct TV to be rid of the Comcast monopoly in our area. We even reconsider going to events that are sponsored by Comcast.

One thing that has always drawn us to Disney is their customer service. I have owned my own business for many years, and it's nice to go on vacation where you don't have to worry about anything. This is why we bought into the DVC in 2000, and have made the investment and committment to vacation at Disney for the next 38 years.

If, God forbid, this merger goes through with Comcast to include the theme parks and DVC, we will sell our points. We won't wait around for the inevitable degradation of Disney's customer service thus the drop in resale prices.

If any deal is to be done with Disney and Comcast, how about just the media parts - ABC, ESPN, etc? Leave the theme parks, hotels, DVC, etc alone as a separate entertainment and tourism entity.

CarolAnnC
02-11-2004, 08:58 AM
I am in DVC for the long haul. Till death us do part.... :teeth:

PamOKW
02-11-2004, 09:12 AM
I would hate to see Disney swallowed up into the Comcast monolith. However, I don't think it would necessarily be disasterous. The president of Comcast is Steve Burke. If you don't know Steve's resume, you might want to consider this portion:

Before joining Comcast, he led several divisions of the Walt Disney company to unprecedented success – as president of ABC broadcasting, as head of Buena Vista Television, the company's domestic syndication arm, as president and coo of Euro- Disney, and as one of the key executives responsible for the launch of the Disney stores.

Steve left Disney and is now instrumental in this bid for taking it over. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully, Disney can fend off this attempt at a takeover. Just yesterday, the Board began to mount it's defense of Eisner. They also have a lot of analysts down at WDW right now being given the star treatment.

Disney stock is up 18% this morning pre-opening of the stock market. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up today.

shelly3girls
02-11-2004, 09:32 AM
There are rumors that Time Warner and Microsoft may also bid for Disney. Whatever happens I hope the Disney magic stays alive! We have a great deal invested in it.

mikeymars
02-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Barbarians are lining up at the gate to Sleeping Beauty's castle. Ramparts being filled with Eisner goons, who are boiling oil and cranking their crossbows.

This is going to be fun.

lenshanem
02-11-2004, 10:57 AM
As much as I was ready for Eisner to go this stinks. Comcast has got the worst customer service I have ever experienced right along with AT&T which have had soem part of a merger recently....

mitros
02-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Comcast is the worst! We had them when we lived in NJ. Service was poor, and customer service was non existent. God help us if Comcast takes over Disney and runs it like it's cable services! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

tfc3rid
02-11-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm selling my stock... This is getting close to the end.

FriendsOfEeyore
02-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Now we do not have Comcast at home, but we did hear this report this morning. My first thought.. Oh No!!!

My dw (the eternal optimist) says that maybe Comcast will buy it and put Roy Disney in charge of the Disney Operations. Then she asked if there is relationship between and Burke and Roy. I could not answer the question, but maybe, just maybe..

I guess that I had better check savedisney.com for Roy's take..

Edward

CarolA
02-11-2004, 11:25 AM
I am sitting here LOL.

I am sorry, but every time there is something in the news about Disney people have a panic attack!

floridafam
02-11-2004, 11:26 AM
I am sorry, but every time there is something in the news about Disney people have a panic attack!

AMEN!

shelly3girls
02-11-2004, 11:27 AM
I read through the Comcast proposal on the Comcast website. Part of the proposal highlights their plans for the them parks:

"The Disney theme parks are America's favorite vacation destinations.

-Drive attendance via advertising and cross-promotion in all aspects of combined company

-Restore energy and creativity in attractions, hotels and concessions"

Doesn't sound like they plan to sell off the parks.

wdwstar
02-11-2004, 11:34 AM
hmmmm...... comcast might buy out disney..........
will we become Comcast Dvc members then, will we get free digital cable plus the movie channels and free internet service in our villas ..........:teeth:

mitros
02-11-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't think these posts are all panic attacks, some people are just wondering out loud what will eventually happen. I for one am not having a panic attack, but I have an investment in Disney, stocks, DVC, Florida residents pass, etc. and when Disney is in the news, I like to read and comment about it. these are Disney boards, and that's what its all about! :smooth: :)

BobH
02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
It is only my opinion but I believe much of the success of Disney is because it has a reputation of being a family oriented business that was started by a family oriented owner (Walt) and until recently had a family representative (Roy) on the board. I personally purchased DVC because I felt it would be around for a long time to come. I am sure it will still exist because Comcast will not want to simply throw away the value of their investment. That being said I am appalled that a company such as Comcast may be in the driver's seat. Has anyone ever thought of their cable tv company as a family company. Do any of us even know who the heads of the cable companies are. On the contrary cable ompanies are among some of the most heartless business entities on the planet. The only time we have a connection to them is when the notice for a rate increase comes down to us from Mt Olympus and we have no chocie but to accept it. The only way this takeover will be palatable to me is if Comcast has the presence of mind to get Roy Disney to be a major player on the new board or to at least have a major voice in the new Comcast-disney company.

wdwstar
02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Has anyone check the info on savedisney.com

here is a link : Comcast letter to Disney

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/11/news/comcast_letter/

WDWguruDH
02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
I am not panicking, but my Disney stock and especially my DVC amounts to a bunch of money. If this process takes the Disney stock to $30 or $31, I am selling...that is about what it is worth. If the deal falls through, the stock will drop. If the deal is successful, I don't want to own Comcast stock.
Now to DVC...IF, and that is a big if, Comcast is successful, then I will sell some of my DVC, not all, but I don't want that much of my money invested for the next 40 years in Comcast. Comcast has been a successful company, but never run anything "Disney" like...everything they take over, they strip down and kill aspects like customer service.
In my opinion, it would be best for Disney to find another company to merge with and stop this deal (Disney doesn't have the fiscal capability to do it by itself). Maybe the deal wouldn't be as much money, but would leave key aspects alone. Maybe they could split out the ABC, ESPN, etc parts and give that to Comcast, then leave the parts that are Disney to us alone.

Maistre Gracey
02-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Hmmm... "CVC", "The Villas at Comcast's Wilderness Lodge", and "Walt Commie World"... :scratchin :scared1:

I also believe that IF this happens, it indeed MAY work out for the better. I think Roy and Stan are in the mix somewhere... ;)

I am glad to get all this info on my favorite web site- "COMboards.dis" :p

TheRustyScupper
02-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Don't sell . . .

1) You have a contract for services, these cannot be cancelled.
2) ComCast will keep the businesses running.
3) Overall, I think Disney will be improved through ComCast.

LisaR
02-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by CarolA
I am sitting here LOL.

I don't think this is just "news" about Disney. It looks like there is at least some type of movement taking place that could change the way Disny operates.

I try not to react to a situation before it actually happens and give it a chance to work out. However, I have to say that I will be watching this one closely. This is one situation where I could see myself jumping the gun (if the deal w/ Comcast was approved) before it is given a chance to work out or fail. I think Comcast is honestly the worst business out there. If this really happened, I can't see it as being a positive for Disney.

Lisa

lillasmom
02-11-2004, 12:58 PM
I will definitely stay tuned.....:(

erikthewise
02-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Sell DVC? I don't think so!
But it might be a good time to sell Disney stock, with the price being inflated by all those people buying in order to vote out Eisner! :teeth:

goofy4tink
02-11-2004, 01:08 PM
This is all probably my fault. Every time I get involved with something, well...it's the kiss of doom!! I can join the most profitable group and within weeks...yep, down the tubes. Just bought DVC in Oct and now look. :( Sorry all. But, maybe it could turn out to be a good thing. Maybe, just maybe Roy and Stan are involved somehow, in some way. We can hope.

jennybobenny
02-11-2004, 01:12 PM
2 possible scenarios:

1)Roy & Stanley and Comcast have come to some sort of agreement that if Comcast acquires Disney, both Disney & Gold will return to their seats on the Board of Directors and help get the company off the Eisner money train and headed back in the right direction. This could explain why Eisner was so against even having discussions with Comcast.

2)Comcast has no relationship at all with either Roy Disney or Stanley Gold. With the increasing popularity of SaveDisney.com (including the resignations of Disney & Gold) added to last week's announcement of the end of the Disney/Pixar relationship, Comcast could be taking advantage of a very vulnerable Michael Eisner. With all that is going on, will he be able to 'rally the troops' to fend off a hostile takeover? Doubt it.

Personally I hope it's #1.

DemoBri1
02-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by CarolA
I am sitting here LOL.

CarolA,

Have you ever had the pleasure of dealing with Comcast in the past?? If you have then you would know that panic is probably a mild term to what we should be feeling.

PamOKW
02-11-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand why everyone thinks Roy Disney is some "savior". Sentimentally it's nice to have a real "Disney" name on the door but if they hadn't brought Eisner in many moons ago, chances are we wouldn't be having this discussion since WDW would probably be an aging MK and not much else. Roy's played a game thinking that change would be for the better. I guess he hasn't heard the expression "the devil you know is often better than the devil you don't". No matter what, Roy gets rich. I doubt very much that the Comcast company would give him any real power beyond possibly letting him be a figurehead on the board.

BobH
02-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Just wondering if there have been many of these buyout attempts. Anyone have any history on it?

Chuck S
02-11-2004, 01:33 PM
PamOKW, I agree with you.

WDWguruDH
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
I have to agree with PamOKW - Roy Disney hasn't done anything with the organization to warrant such a reputation. He has spouted a bunch of rhetoric about what we all want to hear, but so has Comcast in its press releases (and I don’t trust them at all).
First blush of this deal, I don’t want anything to do with Comcast, even if a Disney was involved. Maybe it would work out, if I had a crystal ball, I would be a gazillionaire, but I don’t feel good about Comcast taking the Disney name.
The devil I do know is the current Disney, under Eisner – more quality parks (the new parks were Mike’s deal and they every part met the Disney standard – AK is one of our favorites), DVC, more and better movies, etc. I don’t care about the ABC, ESPN, DisTOON, or any of that, just assume see them go – maybe Comcast will settle and just take those pieces and allow Disney to get back to what it does best :)

dianeschlicht
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
No matter WHO owns Disney, I am in DVC for the long haul. Do I want Concast to own it? HEck no, but maybe this "rumor will get a few others off their duffs and turn the company around!

Johnnie Fedora
02-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Why do you think things are doomed? Do you think Comcast will fire all the WDW CM's and replace them with your local cable guys (or gals)? Disney Corp took over the Walt Disney Company years ago. Money grabbin Disney Corp or money grabbing Comcast.
Mirror images...yes or no?...I say yes.

I don't know about you, but at least we could get FoxNews and HBO in our DVC units. Also, maybe Comcast customers will get a discount on thier annual pass!!

Maistre Gracey
02-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Johnnie Fedora
I don't know about you, but at least we could get FoxNews and HBO in our DVC units.
Well, I have been a Comcast customer for years (not by choice), and I am still waiting to get FOX News! :mad:

MG

tfc3rid
02-11-2004, 01:51 PM
It's hard to think about, but this would be the end of "The Walt Disney Company" if it happens... That's a sad thought...

DrTomorrow
02-11-2004, 01:55 PM
CarolA and PamOKW, I'm with you!

DisneyCo is NOT the Disney that Walt founded, and hasn't been for decades - it is a MultiNational MegaCorp, run by number crunchers who are supposed to increase the stockholder value (note: I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing).

Given the "Magical" feelings that the Disney name evokes, it is understandable that people think that, even at the BoD level, thoughts of "Pixie Dust" are uppermost in management's thoughts; realistically, this is not the case.

Personally, as a new DVC owner with 50 years left (w00t SSR!), I'm not worried. Mergers and acquisitions happen all the time, and I find it hard to believe that any company would buy DisneyCo and then let all the goodwill that the name Disney brings with it go down the drain. Plus, with all the anti-Eisner ranting - and the complaints about "less Magic than there used to be" - that I've seen recently, I'm surprised that more folks aren't happy about a regime change.

I've been a Comcast cable customer since 1981 and a Broadband user for 4 years and, while I've had a few unpleasant experiences ("No sir, half the city has to be without service for it to be an 'outage'"), I'm not overly concerned. It's not like they are suddenly going to replace MS folks with Cable Guys! ;)

Take a deep breath. Hold it. Let it out sloooooooooly. Relax.

[Edited: Hey Johnnie F - I submitted my post before I read yours. Guess great minds think alike!]

Maistre Gracey
02-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by tfc3rid
It's hard to think about, but this would be the end of "The Walt Disney Company" if it happens... That's a sad thought...
I am not sure that is true. Many brand names of stuff in my cabinet do indeed have a parent company.
Disney itself is actually a parent company to other brands such as ABC. :cool:

MG

Simba's Mom
02-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Did you notice that Michael Eisner doesn't like the idea of a Comcast take-over? Considering how so many people seem to not like Michael Eisner, I'm surprised at how many people are going along with him on this. I, for one, am wondering if maybe this isn't such a bad thing-after all, if Eisner opposes it, it may not be so bad if Comcast takes over!

tfc3rid
02-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Look at it this way...

Comcast makes this offer... Disney stock is soaring today. If Comcast pulls this offer off the table, the stock will sink, big time. If it sinks, who gets mad, stockholders. If stockholders get mad, Ei$ner pays for it... He is forced to go...

LisaR
02-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Johnnie Fedora
Why do you think things are doomed? Do you think Comcast will fire all the WDW CM's and replace them with your local cable guys (or gals)? Disney Corp took over the Walt Disney Company years ago. Money grabbin Disney Corp or money grabbing Comcast.
Mirror images...yes or no?...I say yes.

While I don't think the CM's will be replaced with the local cable guy, based on how they run their cable business, Comcast doesn't seem to care at all about customer service. So using the way they run their cable business as a basis, I do believe that as time went on they would have far fewer CM's then are currently employed because answering the phone promptly and helping guests is not something Comcast thinks is important or necessary. They would raise ticket prices big time. They wouldn't even attempt to keep prices in line with Universal or Sea World. Maybe this feeling comes because I have been burned so many times from Comcast. When we finally had competition come to the area, I really thought Comcast would change their tune. Silly me. They could care less about the competition or the customer.

[i]Originally posted by Johnnie Fedora Also, maybe Comcast customers will get a discount on thier annual pass!! [/B]

Comcast has NEVER offered a discount in the time they have been in my area. They have always been MUCH higer then anyone else and they really don't care. I doubt anyone would get a discount.

Lisa

The4OfUs
02-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Hmm, I am apparently in the VERY tiny minority that has seen a MAJOR upswing when Comcast took over our cable service...the quality, the constant "cutting edge" improvements that we suddenly get, the instantaneous customer service, the courteous and prompt service folks that helped install the new boxes and our internet line and had to rewire almost the whole house...I don't know WHY I've lucked out, but I appreciate all the services they have made available for us when they replaced Cablevision. Guess I should count my blessings! *grin*

So while I don't want Disney to be bought because...well...it's DISNEY! It's like, I have in my mind that it's an entity of sorts, a living breathing magical "presence" in a way, and to think that it can get swallowed up into something where it just becomes a piece of the puzzle rather than the puzzle itself...that bothers me in some silly philosophical way.

Other than that, based on my personal experience as one of their customers, I guess I wouldn't be too worried, but I'd be leading the parade if they try to change names and services in any way!

lenshanem
02-11-2004, 02:24 PM
I wonder why Roy still has not relaesed a response to thsi on hsi site....

Roy, I need soem words here!

Kick it up a notch!
02-11-2004, 02:31 PM
For all of you who don't think this is a big deal, or have never dealt with Comcast before, you should be worried. Ever though Disney is a multinational company, they have kept the Disney image and that is what is important. They keep customer service at the forefront of what they do and who they are. That will not be the case if they own Disney. Every company takeover (this is not a merger it will be a hostile takeover) that happens is done by someone who thinks they can do it better. Just read the letter to Eisner, they think they can reinvent the wheel, and in the process ruin the very company we have all grown to love and cherish. I didn't give Disney any of my money because they were the only ones out there, I gave them my money because they create special memories for my family. I do not see that in the future if this takeover happens. If it happens you will all see what I mean.

disneyfan77
02-11-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't believe that the Disney we all know and love will change in respects to the parks and DVC unless changes are for the better. Why do you think DVC is so popular - Demand. Why do we pay outrageous prices for Disney tickets, merchandise, etc. - Demand. Comcast knows the product and why we all enjoy it so much, they also know that Customer Service at WDW is perhaps the most important ingredient. We're not talking about a $60 monthly cable service, we're talking about devoted travelers that repeatedly spend thousands of dollars every year to come to WDW. To do anything to damage the reputation of the park side of Disney would be to turn a loyal following into a pack of wolves that would sooner devour WDW than see it destroyed by Comcast. Comcast's reputation for customer service is bad, to say the least, because it can afford to be! In many regions Comcast is your only choice for cable, other than some local company with higher rates and no channels, and that's how they get away with it. Also, we'll put up with poor Customer service when occassionally dealing with the "cable trolls" but we will not put up with it while taking time off for our vacation at WDW.
In closing, I will likely continue w/my search for BCV points thru DVC, but I will be very cautious with respect to the price and any fluxuation resulting from the news.

Donna
02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
No one ignores Michael's successes from 1984 to 1994. Roy commented on them in his resignation letter. The problem is, following the death of Frank Wells in 1994, the Company's performance has been substandard. How long can Michael Eisner live on the Company's accomplishments from 1984 to 1994?
:confused:

Johnnie Fedora
02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Just received a letter from Comcast several weeks ago wishing us a happy new year and how glad they were to have us as a customer. They also announced that they would not be raising thier rates (already overpriced, IMO) for cable services this year. I don't recall getting a similar letter from Disney corp concerning their many (already overpriced, IMO) services.

BTW, I have to agree with some earlier comments. The service we've received from Comcast is what I expect, and they have always shown up (within hours/days) when called, and credited my account for any lost service, which has only happened once.

This is all in the preception.

Comcast=non-caring, bad, bad, bad, evil, evil, evil

Disney=caring, sweet, sweet, sweet, innocent, innocent, innocent.

I'm going to wait and see on this one.

Cyndy
02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Even though mergers are way up with the uplook in the economy, I'm not sure that the FCC will approve a deal like this. It really creates a monster media corp.

That said, I will be with DVC as long as things remain "magical" to our family. Le'ts hope whatever happens we continure to have a quality experience at DVC.

This sure will be fun to watch.

P.S. We have cable in our community and no real compitition so maybe I don't watch enough or don't have any problems, because our customer service hasbeen excellent on the 3 or 4 times I've called in the last 15 yrs. It seems that the "lean and mean" thing is part of everyone's slashing customer service staffing.

WebmasterDoc
02-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Further discussion of any merger proposal is best served on the News/Rumors Board- as it is certainly not a DVC topic.

If anyone wishes to comment about their feelings about ending their DVC ownership - then feel free to post those comments here. Other comments will have to be made on the News/Rumors Board. This forum is not the proper place to discuss experiences with their local cable company or their feelings about Roy Disney or Michael Eisner.

Thanks!

BWVDee
02-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by WebmasterDoc
Further discussion of any merger proposal is best served on the News/Rumors Board- as it is certainly not a DVC topic.
If anyone wishes to comment about their feelings about ending their DVC ownership - then feel free to post those comments here.
Thanks!
In answer to the OP.....
I am not selling but I am also not buying any more pts either until we see the outcome and after effects when/if anything occurs.
It is really ironic too because I was just talking to my DVC guide the other day in regards to my status on the BWV waitlist to purchase more BWV points. If she were to call me tomorrow with available BWV pts I would not purchase them at this point in time due to today's news. And that is saying a lot for me to turn down BWV points!! LOL!

CGregoryJr
02-11-2004, 08:57 PM
A few points to consider:

1>Disney is now in play. Focusing solely on Comcast as a suitor is misguided.
2>Wall Street analysts, for the most part, are not thrilled with the Company’s Theme Park Business Unit (where DVC resides). The capital requirements for the Unit, when benchmarked against related returns, are not attractive on a stand-alone basis.
3>Disney’s business model, for significant projects, has gradually moved towards licensing and joint venture relationships versus outright ownership. Less control over the operations balanced against lower risk of large capital projects.
4>The Disney brand is among the most recognized and favorably viewed brands in the world. A new management team and Board would probably take a fresh look at the question: “Can you separate the media and theme park units (spin-off, divestiture, etc.) without damaging the brand?”
5>As we all know, DVC should not be viewed as an investment. It’s prepaid vacation. Spend more time on deciding when to sell Disney’s equity securities—if you happen to own any.

Tomskatt
02-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks. as always, for all the info. I love hearing everyone's viewpoint! Us? We are staying!

DebbieB
02-11-2004, 10:14 PM
The Disney name is the strongest asset for the park & resort part of the company. I doubt they would take that away. It's not going to become "Comcast Vacation Club". People accept soaring ticket prices, high room rates, overpriced food because it's "Disney". But when Comcast does it, they are bad.

invalid_char
02-11-2004, 10:18 PM
COMCAST WORLD. Sorry, it even sounds like a magic crusher.

msdis
02-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Gee, it wasn't that long ago we were all in a what if thread and now it looks so real. I guess the answer we will soon find out. I feel the sadest part is that Disney will now be a part of something else where as everything else up until this point has been a part of Disney. It sure has been a sad week -a CM killed today at MK, this takeover bid, the "do you dare eat at WDW " report on abc . What a sad time for the mouse. I hope everything works out as we really need our DVC vacations and that's what we look forward to all year long. I hope we never feel we need to sell our DVC. .