View Full Version : Questions re: purchase from Disney directly or resale
02-10-2004, 01:57 PM
OK, I have investigated just about every angle there is about buying into the DVC and am ready to take the plunge. However, I am still a wee bit skeptical about resales vs. buying from Disney. I think I would feel better buying directly from Disney. Can anyone tell me that I am silly for even considering paying the higher points to them rather than the cheaper for resales? Do you struggle with this question?
02-10-2004, 02:01 PM
and I have found that purchasing from Disney at SSR is currently 15 - 20 dollars higher per point. However, I am looking to buy about 300 points and the difference for me has me leaning toward resale market. One difference to remember is closing costs and other fees associated with resale that are not associated with Disney (from what I understand). However, like you I am still considering SSR at a whopping $85/point! My first tour is less than two weeks away! Good luck on the search!
Happy Birthday Cat
02-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I have purchased one resale contract and I have purchased other contracts from Disney. The end result is NO difference at all. I can understand how you feel, especially if this is your first contract but you really don't need to worry about it. Buy at the place you want to stay at the most. That should be the most important factor.
02-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Happy BD Cat,
Did you see a huge savings overall after your purchase of the resale contracts? How much do you estimate you saved?
02-10-2004, 02:37 PM
After paying closing costs and taking into account the banked points from the previous year that the previous owner had not used , I saved $14 per point on 200 points at VWL
which is a saving of $2,800.
When I bought BCV points as an add on to SSR then I paid Disney $84 a point which for 100 points was not that different from paying $76 a point resale on BCV plus $5 a point for closure. And Disney took my credit card, earned loads of air miles and the BCV points were mine straight away with no worrying about ROFR.
Resales need research and to only choose a resale that has all of this years points and some of the 2003 points left or banked.
02-10-2004, 02:50 PM
If it helps any, here are the reasons we decided to go with SSR (in no particular order):
- Promotional pricing: back in September we only paid $79 per point.
- No interest, no payment financing until resort opens. We plan on having it paid off pretty quickly after May, but it was a plus knowing we could defer payment by putting only 10% down.
- Lower 2004 maintenance than BCV, BWV, VWL.
- Lower point chart than BCV, BWV, VWL.
- REALLY like the look and feel of the resort.
- For whatever reason, we just happen to like the fact that the resort is NOT next to a theme park. Gives us more of a feeling of getting away from the hustle and bustle of the parks, while still being part of "Disney".
- Dedicated DVC property - gotta love those "Welcome Home"s!!!
- Parking outside the resort buildings.
- Counter-service dining.
- And last, but certainly not least, the extra 12 years in the contract. DW and I may not be able to use it ourselves, but I'm sure our children (and their families) will enjoy.
We would have been just as happy with OKW, but the special pricing offered back when we purchased, combined with the extra long contract, really put us over the edge with SSR.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.