PDA

View Full Version : Is using points for a 7 day cruise better than a 3 or 4 day??

tinkgrl
02-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi,

Just curious. We are looking to do a 7 day in a few years. I personnally think that if your going to use points do it for the week. I looked @ the price of a 7 day cruise for a cat 8 for 2 & its $2,800. Even if you rented all you might get is a good downpayment. Any opinions??

Allison an associate

calypso*a*go-go
02-08-2004, 03:55 PM
We looked at this as well and found that the 7-day cruise was a better point value. We took the total number of points required for each cruise and divided by the number of nights. The 7-day worked out to be less points per day than the 3 or 4 day cruises. Bottomline, the best scenario appears to be renting out your points for the going rate of $10/pt. and paying cash for the cruise. But, as many have stated in previous threads, sometimes it just isn't worth the time and trouble to do so.

tinkgrl
02-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks!!!! Any other opinions??

Allison an associate

Dean
02-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Considering the points would be 326 to 484 for Eastern or 338 to 532 for a Western plus the $75 fee, lack of cancellation options and lack of access to future discounts. I think you've already proven the point that cash is better from a financial standpoint. Still, they're your points to do with what you wish. Idealy one would buy the number of points they'd use at WDW and pay cash for the other options.

goofy4dvc
02-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Just wondering if there are any "perks" advantages by paying cash or using points? Do you get any gifts, on-board credits, discounts, or ressie advantages by using one or the other?

Dean
02-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by goofy4dvc
Just wondering if there are any "perks" advantages by paying cash or using points? Do you get any gifts, on-board credits, discounts, or ressie advantages by using one or the other? There are credit's and discounts at times. The big issue is that if the price goes down, you will get the decreased price if it's cash but not for points unless the points themselves are reduced. Also, man TA give additional benefits. AAA gives free soda's and mugs. DU give a discount. Even DCL itself offers credits at times for cash. I just had the price go down by $560 on a 7 day cruise, I would not have gotten the refund if I were cruising points. Our price before the additional discount would have been about $5.50 pp, after the discount, it would have been more like $4.70 pp. That doesn't even take into account the $75 booking fee or other risks associated with points if you change or cancel.

tinkgrl
02-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Dean
Considering the points would be 326 to 484 for Eastern or 338 to 532 for a Western plus the $75 fee, lack of cancellation options and lack of access to future discounts. I think you've already proven the point that cash is better from a financial standpoint. Still, they're your points to do with what you wish. Idealy one would buy the number of points they'd use at WDW and pay cash for the other options.

Dean,

Thanks for you opinion!!! Could someone give me an idea of the cash amount needed if paying for one person on points for a 7 day Eastern??? Thanks!!! I know it needs to be paid @ time of booking.

Allison an associate

goofy4dvc
02-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info, Dean. I was hesitant to sell points to pay for cruise, but I'm convinced now that's the way to go.