PDA

View Full Version : DVC/OKW Weekly Owner's Update

walter
02-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Just to let some of you that do not already know, at the last weekly DVC owners meeting held at OKW (on Tuesday's), it was brought to our attention that only 3,000 members used the Member's Getaway Program, whereas there were 40.000 requests for exchanges into a DVC resort from Interval International owners.

PamOKW
02-08-2004, 10:58 AM
I guess we really love our DVC resorts! It's also a cautionary tale to those who buy other timeshares that promise they can trade into WDW.

This might also be why DVC seems to be pitching the non-DVC options to all of us. It could be they need to up the participation to keep our partners happy.

walter
02-08-2004, 11:15 AM
At this meeting they also stated that the number of points required for a stay through the World Passport Collection (see chart in the Vacation Planner 2004-2005 Guide), has dropped from the previous requirements.

jaysue
02-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Not too surprising to me, I think the DVC resorts would be in high demand by exchangers outside of DVC. DVC is an expensive time share and the ratio somwehat reflects that.

I suspect many who buy DVC have no or little intention of trading out

thanks
jaysue

Dean
02-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by walter
At this meeting they also stated that the number of points required for a stay through the World Passport Collection (see chart in the Vacation Planner 2004-2005 Guide), has dropped from the previous requirements. This is BS. While the 1 BR points went down in some situations, overall the points increased. The studios and 3 BR went up dramatically and the option of exchanging a studio off season at less than 60 days vanished. DVC is pushing II way too hard not to be getting something out of it. I just wonder what it is.

Maistre Gracey
02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
I have been to two or three of the member updates. I also find them to be pushing us to trade out of DVC at these meetings.
Although the options are nice, I do not see myself trading my DVC too often. I bought DVC for Disney vacations, not to go somewhere else.
I think at some point I may trade DVC for other accommodations, but not very often. :cool:

MG

walter
02-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Personally I would rather pay cash than exchange using my points. I do agree with the other posters that they are agressively pushing the new DVC program. Although I spoke to two of the DVC individuals at the parks and they stated that they are not allowed outside of the booths like they use to.

Granny
02-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by PamOKW

This might also be why DVC seems to be pitching the non-DVC options to all of us. It could be they need to up the participation to keep our partners happy.
Disney maintains a certain percentage of the DVC resort inventory for cash customers....couldn't they do the trade outs themselves?

Might not be as lucrative as selling the reservations for cash...so maybe they want us to trade so they don't have to?

I could be all wet with this...I really know nothing about exchanges. :confused:

PamOKW
02-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Granny
I could be all wet with this...I really know nothing about exchanges. :confused:

I know very little also. I think this could be why they are pushing to educate us.

My main problem with the exchanges is that they are for full weeks. I want to use my long vacations for Disney/Florida. I would be more interested in options for long weekends that are closer to home. This is why I like the Concierge Collection although the "fee" becomes an issue when you are only staying a night or two.

dianeschlicht
02-09-2004, 09:25 AM
I too bought Disney because that is where I wanted to stay most often. I didn't have any qualms about using my DVC for a Hawaii trade, and I will do it again, but I think they are forgetting that most folks buy Disney because that is where we want to be. I looked into other timeshares before buying DVC, and I never thought I would be trading out much with DVC, but that I would always be trying to with a traditional timeshare.

I don't mind the full week trades, because I hate to fly out for a long weekend. It doesn't seem like a good use of airline dollars to me. If I am going to spend a lot of money on airfare, I want to be there for awhile!:p

MAC3
02-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by jaysue
I suspect many who buy DVC have no or little intention of trading out

This statement would reflect my intentions perfectly. I have no desire to go anywhere else at present. Except maybe DCL.:teeth:

Lisa

MiaSRN62
02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
My main problem with the exchanges is that they are for full weeks. I want to use my long vacations for Disney/Florida. I would be more interested in options for long weekends that are closer to home.
I agree with Pam on this. I'm toying with a trade out to Williamsburg this summer (it's about a 5 1/2 hour drive for us) but just not sure I could find a week's worth of things to do there (this would be our 3rd trip but 1st using DVC points). I wish I had the option of a Sun-Thurs stay or a long weekend. I'd hop right on that.

I know there are trade options to places that probably have less entertainment options than even Williamsburg has and just can't imagine using a full week worth of points for those destinations. I recall someone inquiring about Hershey, PA this past summer. It's a nice destination for a long weekend, but couldn't imagine longer than that really ? Concierge is too costly for us because we're a family of 5 and would need 2 rooms.

Dean
02-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Granny
Disney maintains a certain percentage of the DVC resort inventory for cash customers....couldn't they do the trade outs themselves?

Might not be as lucrative as selling the reservations for cash...so maybe they want us to trade so they don't have to?

I could be all wet with this...I really know nothing about exchanges. :confused: DVC does not do what's called "Developer deposits". Though DVC has reassured me on two occasions that there is no benefit to DVC other than offering a great alternative to members, I frankly don't believe it. What with the getaways in the clubhouse and all these other verbal pushes, it just doesn't make sense. I'm wondering if they made agreements that would require a minimum number of deposits with II or if II has cut the fees contingent on this issue. DVC would have little incentive to deposit their own units they could rent out and that's a hint for all of us.