PDA

View Full Version : Just Returned From OKW!


walter
02-07-2004, 08:01 PM
My wife and I just returned from two weeks at OKW. They were doing a complete remodel of buildings 45,46, 47, 48 & I do believe 33, 35, 37 & 39? Painting, new appliances, mattresses, etc. We stayed in building 64 for the first time (also first time between the Hospitality Ctr. & Miller's. Only problem is the lack of parking at this location. Last week of January did not seem too busy until around midweek. Noticed this past week that it got progessively busier as that the week ended. Had a late lunch on Friday (yesterday) at Olivia's and were the only ones' there! We went past there again around 6:30 & it still was not busy. Hopefully it does not mean problems in the future.

mitros
02-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Were the buildings being remodeled totally closed off and not in use at all? We are going next Friday and want to stay away from those buildings if at all possible. We also eat at Olivia's whenever we stay at OKW and it is rarely busy. But we always go at slow times for the most part, so that may be the reason.

walter
02-07-2004, 08:38 PM
I believe they were very close to completeing them. They were working long hours and I believe they need these units beginning next week for the busy season.

mitros
02-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Walter.:)

Niagara2
02-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Welcome back and thanks for the report. I heard you had beautiful weather for the most part, you missed the snow and ice - yeah sure!!!

RweTHEREyet
02-07-2004, 09:06 PM
[/QUOTE]We went past there again around 6:30 & it still was not busy. Hopefully it does not mean problems in the future[/QUOTE]


I think that when SSR opens up that Olivia's might become very busy. SSR won't have a sit down restaurant, and it will be very easy for people without their own transportation to hope the boat and head to OKW to eat at Olivia's.[

walter
02-07-2004, 09:07 PM
The first week we were there it was in the 60 low 70 degree range w/ some very cool mornings. This past Thursday & Friday was in the 80's. In fact the Friday high of 85 broke the previous high of 83. Yesterday in t-shirt and shorts & returned today to snow and cold. It's not fair! In fact, my wife said yesterday that she wished we could stay another week. We will return in October.

Caskbill
02-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by RweTHEREyet
I think that when SSR opens up that Olivia's might become very busy. SSR won't have a sit down restaurant, and it will be very easy for people without their own transportation to hope the boat and head to OKW to eat at Olivia's. Don't think I agree with that. While some may go to Olivia's by boat, members staying at SSR can easily walk, or hop the boat, and go to DD where they would have a large selection of restaurants to choose from. Many that give DVC discounts. I think the DD restaurants will get much more traffic from SSR than Olivia's will get. Just IMHO.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by walter
The first week we were there it was in the 60 low 70 degree range w/ some very cool mornings. This past Thursday & Friday was in the 80's. In fact the Friday high of 85 broke the previous high of 83. Yesterday in t-shirt and shorts & returned today to snow and cold. It's not fair! In fact, my wife said yesterday that she wished we could stay another week. We will return in October.

I hear that Walter, we left Friday and hit the ground to snow, slush and rain and temps. in the very low 30s.
We extended our stay for two days to enjoy the nice warmth.
It was relatively busy over by building 19, seemed to have a high occupancy rate and lots of kids playing in the pool.

jaclark
02-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by walter
Last week of January did not seem too busy until around midweek. Noticed this past week that it got progessively busier as that the week ended.

HI Walter - we got there on Tues morning - first stay there (and unplanned - we moved from BCV) and we loved it. We were in building 13. We saw a bunch of appliance boxes one day so that must have been the rehab you were talking about.

Glad you enjoyed your trip as well.
Annette