View Full Version : $200 upgrade worth it

01-21-2004, 12:29 PM
We took a shot on the 2/7/04 eastern and booked a Cat 10 GTY. No upgrade for us and the cabin assignment is 2545. Just so happens this is right under Rockin Bar D. I found out we can upgrade to Cat 9 GTY for $200. Still possible to be under the bar, but do you think the cost is worth taking another shot?


01-21-2004, 01:00 PM
It's up to you. The rooms are the same, the only difference is that the cat 9 is a deluxe outside stateroom. So, if you want a window, it may be worth it to you.

01-21-2004, 01:01 PM
This is one of those "only you can decide" questions. We've been on deck 2 and loved it...no noise problem. However, I've heard that others have had a problem. Some thoughts...you can bring along a small fan (about $10 at Target here) or a "white noise machine" which will drown out the noise from the clubs above you for a lot less than $200. Even if you decided not to carry it home at the end of the cruise, you have saved money.

Alternatively, if you plunked down the $200, you might not only get the 9, you might get an upgrade from there......guess only you can decide what $200 is worth.

01-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Last month I was in a category 11 (december 14-18th 4-day). At port I was able to upgrade to a category 8 for a total of $252.

Maybe you can wait until you get to port? You may get a better deal AND be able to pick your room. February isn't known for being a busy season, so the chances of your cruise being completely full are slim.

Just my .02.


Minnie's Pal
01-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks CRSNDSNY! I never thought about checking out what kind of last minute "deals" you can get on upgrades once we board (if you don't get one free.) I am happy with what we booked but we may consider moving up if the price is right. ;)

01-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all of the input. Unfortunately, the Cat 9 GTY disappeared in a matter of hours this morning. I am not savvy enough to know if this means that the ship is filling up fast or if something else is going on. The only thing available was Cat 3 (not a chance) or Cat 4. Now the choice is easy...we stay put for now. Will continue to hav TA check periodically and also on check in. Cat 3 would be great, but I would rather sail two or three more times!;)

01-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi there. We will also be sailing on the 2-7-04 and I had my TA look into an upgrade for us, we are in a Cat. 8 and she said it is almost sold out, there were only a few Cat. 4 and 3 left. We were going to try and upgrade at the port but I doubt there will be much if anything to choose from. Happy cruising and see you in 15 days!!


01-22-2004, 07:11 PM
You just never know about availability and I am not experienced enough to interpret the trends. Yesterday there was nothing except Cat 3 and Cat 4. Today, Cat 9 GTY showed back up along with Cat 8 and Cat 5. Being Gluttons for punishment, we dove back into the land of GTY. We figured that a window was worth the $200 upgrade and as a bonus we have another shot at a free upgrade. Either way, we are happy! Stay tuned. Outta here in two weeks!


01-22-2004, 08:23 PM
I think that was a good move. We had a Category 9 in November, and really liked having the porthole.

We were on an almost full ship, but we checked at port about an upgrade. The only availability was a "family suite" for $1500/cabin (2 cabins). Needless to say we stayed put and loved it. We really enjoyed Deck 2.