PDA

View Full Version : POR- which building?

tink2
01-20-2004, 02:15 PM
I am ready to make reservations for POR for Thanksgiving week. I realize it may close for rehab before then- maybe POFQ will reopen- but who knows?
Anyway, my parents are traveling with us and my mom has a heart condition that disables her from walking great distances, so building choices are very important. We want something that is close to the food court and bus stops. I was looking at Oak Manor, but read that it is a smoking building. That is out b/c DS2 has asthma.
It looks like Parterre Place and Magnolia Terrace are my next best choices. Anyone have experience with these? Are the rooms the same? The walk looks a little shorter from Parterre Place so I'm leaning towards it? Any thoughts?
Thanks!:sunny:

helenk
01-20-2004, 02:25 PM
I stayed in Oak Manor in September, I do not smoke. The smoking rooms were either on the upper floors or in the main section of the Mansion. I was on the first floor and did not smell any smoke.
Parterre Place is closer to the bridge that leads to the building with the lobby and the food court etc. Magnolia Terrace would be closer to the bridge that leads to the main pool.
There is a quiet pool between Parterre Place and Oak Terrace and the laundry facilities are right there by the pool. The only draw back I could see to Parterre Place is that you are not close to any other bus stop except the main one, the next closest is between Oak Manor and Magnolia Terrace.
The resort is very nice, and easy to get around, I was no more than a 10 minute walk from the Main buildings.

mickeyinjune
01-21-2004, 10:20 AM
We stayed in Oak Manor Last June2003. I had asked or Non-smoking because of allergies and also cnnecting rooms and close to parking lot since we had a rental car. We were on the second floor on the back corner which led to the parking lot but we could also see the quite pool. I didn't not smell any smoke and I did not have any breathing problems but I was already on medication for a sinus infection.

The back bus stop was not picking up so if you took the buses you had to go up front. We would take our car and refillable mugs in the morning and leave it in the parking lot of the main building. We would take the buses to the parks and when we came back we would get our mugs fill them up and drive back around.

POR has alot of space around it, this is what makes it so quite and less crowded feeling.

We are going in August this year and my brothers and their wifes are going and the one brother has bad feet so we are looking at french quarters if they will be open. We walked over there last year and their buildings are much more centralized aroudn their pool and main building and it will be better for him. He does not want to have to use a wheelchair at the hotel also.

:wave2:

tink2
01-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info. Did either of you request Oak Manor? I've never requested a certain building before- just always close to the bus stop and food court (which we had a hassle with our last trip).
Thanks for the insight on the buildings and sharing your experiences!;)

helenk
01-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Actually I had requested Magnolia Terrace when I faxed my request in, because I thought that Oak Manor was only smoking.
When I arrived they said that Magnolia was full, but I could have a room in Oak Manor, when I asked about it being smoking the CM assured me that just part of the building had the smoking rooms.
I was glad I was in Oak Manor because it is closer to the main building. I was by myself and not interested in the main pool, so I preferred the location and it worked to my advantage.
There are 7 of us going this June, and we are staying at the POR, some of my family smokes so I am going to request Oak Manor. this way we can all be in the same building. And it will still be a good location for my niece and my children who will most likely want to go to the main pool.

mickeyinjune
01-23-2004, 05:07 PM
I did not request a building, just that it had connecting rooms, was one of the manisons, non smoking, and close to parking lot since we would have the car.

sue1013
01-23-2004, 06:52 PM
AB (I think its bldg 14) is the closest to the food court. We had my fil with us he also cannot walk too far. When we checked in I just explained to CM and they put us both in that building. It was great for him but a lot of foot traffic. I prefer the mansions and have stayed in each but AB was much less walking.

Cinda Indiana
01-23-2004, 07:15 PM
This is just a thought....I wonder if you called them and explained your situation/needs if they would be able to suggest a suitable location for you and make a special request on your behalf? Sure wouldn't hurt to ask...... Have a great trip!