PDA

View Full Version : Poly: Is it really worth it??

cdpa4d
11-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Hello:
I really want to make reservations at the Poly, but since I have never visited or stayed at the hotel I am having second thoughts. We would be staying 5 nights and the rate for those 5 nights is approximately $2,000. Is this resort really worth that amount of money? I will try for an AP rate later and hopefully be successful. I guess I need to be convinced that this resort is going to knock my socks off. I love the location and the fact you can see the MK from the beach. That is a plus. Any testimonials would be appreciated.
Thx,
ADP :D

luvmarypoppins
11-20-2003, 10:25 AM
I would say it is worth it if you are spending alot of time at the resort or if it is not a strain on your budget. We stay there only in value season with a garden view room. We have done ap rates in the past and in this past aug. we used the FTP. We split our stay this time and spent the remaining days of the vacation at the swan. If you are using alot of the resort amenities like monorail transportation, on site water activities (boats, fishing, etc.) , lots of pool times, using child care center, taking advantage of on site dining, refillable mugs, free childrens activities, ex. - arcade challenge, hula lessons, etc. Then it is definetely worth it.

cdpa4d
11-20-2003, 10:56 AM
luvmarypoppins, thanks for your response. Just curious, what was your AP rate? Also, what is the FTP rate?
Thanks again,
ADP
:D

disneydentist
11-20-2003, 11:40 AM
I have to agree with luvmarypoppins. It's worth it if you are going to spend time there and can afford it. Personally, I wouldn't spend $400/night, but that's me. We stayed there several times and it is a really great place. Last year we were displaced by the renovations at POR and only paid $125/night for the Polynesian. After having stayed at POR the previous two trips I felt a little guilty about spending just a little more for the Polynesian than a moderate. We spend very little time at the resort and have found that POR suits us just fine. That being said, if you really want to stay there once in your life, then it's worth it.

melindaandrob
11-20-2003, 12:46 PM
We are a family of 5 so for us the room size was perfect. I had AP's so I booked a great rate and took the plunge for conceirge. The convenience of the monorail, access to TTC, was all worth it.
We spent an afternoon on the beach, the kids digging in the sand, swinging in a hammock, watched the light fade and the castle lights come on. Yup worth every penny
:moped: We would definitely go back!
:wizard: picie dust will be needed!

Lexxiefern
11-20-2003, 03:49 PM
I really want to try the Poly too. I can't justify paying rack rates though (that's just me). We are DVC members and I booked a trip next sept at BWV. I booked it for the last week in sept. So that way if AP rates come out in sept, I will add on 3 nights at the beginning of our trip. If no AP rates come out in sept, but they do come out in Oct (like this year), then I will add 3 nights at the Poly at the end of our trip.

I am going to book AKL with a AAA discount for now and hope for discounts. If they come out great, if not I am happy to try out AKL and maybe I will get to try Poly with a AP discount on another trip.

Good luck whatever you decide!!

jerseydizdreamer
11-20-2003, 03:59 PM
As a kid, I dreamed of staying at the Polynesian. So about 7 years ago, when I took my first "adult" trip, with my pal Eric, we decided to live it up and stay at the resort I'd dreamed of for years. We paid about $420 a night for the hotel, which I knew was outrageous, but I couldn't help myself. This was a celebration of finally being financially stable!

Would I do it again? I have to say, probably not. The resort is beautiful, without a doubt. And this was before the pool was rehabed, or most of the buildings. I loved sitting on my patio in the Moreah (sp?) building, looking out over the water, seeing the fireworks at night, having breakfast in the morning. There was a beach in front of the longhouse and I swear to God, not once did we ever encounter another person there. We had the hammocks to ourselves. Heck, we had the beach to ourself!

The next two trips I took, I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Spent about half as much. And fell head-over-heels in love with it. The Wilderness Lodge became my favorite resort. Perhaps I'm just fickle! This year, to save money, I'm staying at Port Orleans for the first time... and I bet I walk away loving it (cause I love being at disney, period!).

Anyway, the moral of the story, if there is one, is that while I DID make a childhood dream come true, I don't think I'd ever spend that kind of money again. It was a nice resort, but not nice enough to be worth twice the price of the Wilderness Lodge, which I think has a much better carry-through on its theme, and is a more lush, intimate environment.

Richard

jenfur
11-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Yes, it is definately worth it. I plan on going back next year. We were there in 2002 and not only is the atmosphere great, it is just so close to everything. We stayed at CSR this year and it was also really great but I missed looking over the water and seeing the castle, seeing the fireworks without dealing with the crowds and of course the monorail. I was part of the CBR relocation the first year and got a great deal, Next year, I plan on getting a package and of course paying full rack rates and it isn't really bothering me. For me, its worth it.

jenfur
11-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Just to add another note- I am staying in a garden view room and wouldn't pay for a view above that. Garden views are great and the lagoon and MK view is only a few steps away, so I wouldn't be able to justify paying rack rates for lagoon view.

skiwee1
11-20-2003, 04:25 PM
I think it's worth it even at rack rate! We started going to the Poly 2 years ago and have just booked my 4th trip there for April. I love the monorail access, the tropical flowers that smell heavenly in the springtime, the volcano pool. the beach. the magnificent view of the fireworks, castle, ELP, the restaurants. the room size, EVERYTHING! LOL!

cdpa4d
11-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all your great responses. I will probably book the Poly, but I really want to get an AP Rate. We are going to be there May 5th - 10th. I hope they (Disney) offer AP rates during that time. Anyway, I'm sure We'll love it.

TWOOD
11-20-2003, 08:15 PM
We got an AP rate during that time of year @ the Poly in 2002. That's a great time to visit! The pool was never too crowded, nor were the parks. My DD loved laying in a hammock on the beach while watching the EWP. I loved the huge room & great WDW transportation options. The only I didn't like was the bathroom being all together, rather than the sinks outside. I was very apprehensive, but really wanting to try the GF just once in my life, so I held out for AP rates & went for it when they came out. We spent 3 nights there, had a blast, but weren't impressed enough to go back (JMHO). I prefer the YC/BC & WL. Go for it!:D

cdpa4d
11-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey TWOOD,
Do you remember what your AP rate was for the Poly last year. I would assume it is about 35 to 40% off of rack rate.
I hope they come out with them sometime in the next 2 or 3 months.

skiwee1
11-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by cdpa4d
Hey TWOOD,
Do you remember what your AP rate was for the Poly last year. I would assume it is about 35 to 40% off of rack rate.
I hope they come out with them sometime in the next 2 or 3 months.

My AP rate for the Poly last May was $204 a night I believe. With taxes it was $244. That was for gardenview.

bryantslovedisney
11-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by skiwee1
My AP rate for the Poly last May was $204 a night I believe. With taxes it was $244. That was for gardenview.

And My AP rate is $317 w/tax...That's Lagoon View with
Concierge Service. I've never been to the Poly and certainly
have never done concierge, but I decided what the heck...
you only live once! I hope it's worth the Money!!

Jill:Pinkbounc

disney daft dad
11-21-2003, 06:52 AM
we got the Poly for 181 incl Tax because of the POFQ situation... I have to admit it is a great rate, but I would not/could not justify the cost of rack rate for our length of stay ( we stay 3 weeks) it' s just too much $$$$.

I guess what I have learned from this situation would be to choose my resort based on my actual activities...am I going to be resort absed a lot of the time? Then perhaps a more remote location...am I going to be using the parks more..if so which ones? This year we are planning on spending most of our time at MK and DTD so the Poly suits our needs best (given we cannot get POFQ...which I would have been more than happy with)

Each to their own...only you can decide if it is worth the $$ for your needs on this vacation

Val
xx

DDM